As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[deleted]

TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
edited July 2022 in Help / Advice Forum
[deleted]

Taximes on

• Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "Te scire est te amare" works all right, but I would suggest a couple things. First, it's traditional in Latin to put the verb at the end of the sentence, which would give "te scire te amare est." At that point, you have the effect of repetition from the "te"s, and you have three options on how to deal with it: you can leave it as it is, if you prefer the repetition (to put emphasis on "te" ("you")); you can take advantage of the elegance of Latin and remove the second "te," yielding "te scire amare est," which flows well (and, if you don't elide "scire" with "amare," "scire amare est" forms a dactyl-spondee, which can be useful for putting emphasis on "amare"); or, if you are fond of chiasmus and like the effect induced, you can set one up here (preferably, "te scire amare te est").

Vis-a-vis your second option, "tu mea altera es," I would suggest mainly that "tu" is redundant, and unless you really want to put extra emphasis on it, I'd take it out. Also, you could tweak your word choice on this a bit, if you wanted to be more precise, but the simplicity of it means you shouldn't have any trouble with the grammar.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd do away with the verb 'to be' in either one, as it is regularly left out. I'll check my Allan and Greenough after I get off work to see if there's any super special rules for infinitive constructions that might require sum, but Tu mea altera is a perfectly fine Latin sentence, if not all that common.

Cyd Cyclone on