As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Cosplay '09 [It's Over!]

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lilibat wrote: »
    My Warhammer 40K Sister of Battle costume is almost done! Here is a WIP picture, still need the backpack, purity seals (that's what the extra holes in the shoulders are for), and a few bits here and there...
    000bhk75.jpg

It's all leather and velvet, just saying because someone always asks. ;)

That is outrageously awesome. And you're carting that whole thing up from SF? How are you transporting it?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    lilibatlilibat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We are driving in my Highlander.

... and thanks!

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that is incredibly awesome. Looks like it should be in a movie!

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What other events do you wear that sort of thing to? I can't imagine going through that much effort for one day of bad-ass-ness.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    We will probably be showing up at a warhammer games day in our costumes, then there is Baycon next year and all the table top gaming cons where people don't really do cosplay, but I might whip it out just to freak out the 40K mini and Dark Heresy players. Actually the past 2 years of PAX we have done pretty elaborate costumes just for PAX Saturday, (2007, 2008) but I am sure we will find occasions to wear our stuff we haven't even thought of.

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So my Doctor Who is officially done! There will be a timelord at PAX. I'm just deciding what day(s) to wear it, because I need to pimp my sites new shirts as well.

So what do you guys think

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well all I have left to do is just make a few minor edits to my costume and I'm done. I finished my two other Mother themed T-shirts though i seem to have misplaced my Mr.Saturn one :/

Also Lili that is one high quality costume you got there, is it uncomfortable to walk in? It looks like it'd be interesting to wear.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    OzzimoOzzimo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Got the Spy Sapper started. A couple of pictures to show off a bit. It's about half done.
    5293_607186251980_25901006_36170245_4469753_n.jpg
    5293_607186256970_25901006_36170246_4706909_n.jpg

"Spy's sappin mah Expo!"

Ozzimo on
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone goin' Trek to this PAX? I figure with Star Trek Online so close to Beta, there might be a playable demo at the Cryptic booth, and captaining your own starship is so much more satisfying if properly dressed... :P

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't remember who, but one of the ladies bought the Trek Corset.

I know practically every single one of us is craving/pining over them...but someone actually did get it and I can't remember to save my life.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I know practically every single one of us is craving/pining over them...but someone actually did get it and I can't remember to save my life.

You know precisely who did. I can't believe you would forget who bought it. Oh, that's right, you didn't tune in Friday to find out. :D

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

You know precisely who did. I can't believe you would forget who bought it. Oh, that's right, you didn't tune in Friday to find out. :D

Blah-blah.

She and I have a Love/Hate Star-Crossed E-Love Relationship together, so of course I would not tune in on the days she works to piss her off.

I am also seriously Dory.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    MasterShamblerMasterShambler Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I will be bringing my Porky Minch on Friday for the Fangamer/Starmen.net panel and my Dr. Mario for Saturday!
    Hope to see you there!

MasterShambler on
    Check out my Business! www.friedmanroyal.mychoices.biz
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yay! I saw your costume on Starmen.net already Sham, my twin's account is SariaCrossing on there is you feel so inclined. I'll defiently meet you there at the panel, if you want I can show you my DCMC T-shirt I made for the occasion. Are you going tot he cosplay meet up on Friday?

I found my Mr.Saturn shirt today, turns out they don't go through the wash to well...

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My Warhammer 40K Sister of Battle costume is almost done! Here is a WIP picture, still need the backpack, purity seals (that's what the extra holes in the shoulders are for), and a few bits here and there...
    000bhk75.jpg

It's all leather and velvet, just saying because someone always asks. ;)

ummm....WOW!

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm. So, my Persona 4 costume is coming along well enough, but I haven't thus far put any consideration into one thing - hair color. My hair is black, and the main character's is a medium gray. Any suggestions on how to temporarily lighten my hair for PAX (and only PAX)? Powdering, perhaps? I have no idea about these things, so I turn to you guys for help...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Hmm. So, my Persona 4 costume is coming along well enough, but I haven't thus far put any consideration into one thing - hair color. My hair is black, and the main character's is a medium gray. Any suggestions on how to temporarily lighten my hair for PAX (and only PAX)? Powdering, perhaps? I have no idea about these things, so I turn to you guys for help...

They have that spray-stuff at party stores that comes off after one wash. I think they make white, so you could use just a little, or comb some out, or something. I wouldn't reccomend using it, though, if your hair is going to touch anything, including your costume, that is not the same color. :/

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Got my fallout 3 costume in today. I wish I could have made it myself but the person who made it for me did an awesome job.
    Fallout77Front.jpg
    Fallout77Back.jpg

Pictures with me in it once I get the legs hemmed.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Going as "Salem" from Army of Two. Sounds like EA might have a couple of guys dressed as the duo at their booth. Now I'm worried their outfits will totally outclass mine. :P I decided to go with a light-gear outfit because I don't want to sweat my ass off in a tac-vest with a bunch of pouches and stuff on it. Is that the wimpy way out? I've never cosplayed before. I got a bitchin' mask though and some nice light gear, so I'm hoping to enjoy cosplay AND stay comfy/cool.

Uno Ill Nino on
    The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    contrefait wrote: »
    Got my fallout 3 costume in today. I wish I could have made it myself but the person who made it for me did an awesome job.
    Fallout77Front.jpg
    Fallout77Back.jpg

Pictures with me in it once I get the legs hemmed.

You going to do the hair too, contre?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    uhhh no. I like my long hair as it is.

Also, The Puppet Man was just a regular guy.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Stores like Party City and craft stores are putting out their Halloween stuff now, so you should be able to get a wig.

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Stores like Party City and craft stores are putting out their Halloween stuff now, so you should be able to get a wig.

While this is true, I like my hair as it is and I don't feel like wearing a wig so I can look like the below.

fallout_12_sm.jpg

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Are you going to at least splatter yourself in blood?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    I need to find fake blood that will wash out.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I need to find fake blood that will wash out.

And not smell like ass.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That was the "blood" reacting with whatever they use to seal/clean the floor and not the blood itself because afterward, if you remember, we did not smell badly.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elgaladwen wrote: »

They have that spray-stuff at party stores that comes off after one wash. I think they make white, so you could use just a little, or comb some out, or something. I wouldn't reccomend using it, though, if your hair is going to touch anything, including your costume, that is not the same color. :/

Yeah, I know of it, and it'd be a workable solution, but I'd rather see if there's any other alternative methods out there. Probably something I'd want to test out and practice before the trip, huh?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    shadownet752shadownet752 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i'll be in costume all weekend but it should be fun times, it'll be my first pax where i get to go all weekend

but yeah, i think the lineup goes:
    Bang Shishigami - Blazblue - Friday
    Kanji Tatsumi - Persona 4 - Sat
    Beat Daisukenojo - TWEWY - Sun

shadownet752 on
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Boots for Altair costume ariving later today, will post a picture shortly after :)

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    nikasaurnikasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow. To the OP, that is a great costume. of the costumes I have seen at PAX, for as few as they are, they are usually quite exceptional.

I have been debating cosplaying this year, but I don't consider it a real cosplaying type of convention. However, Con Season is almost over and I won't have another chance to wear this costume until next year, and the essence is lost.
    Still debating between Friday and Saturday being my dress-up day, and mostly I'll be hanging out at the Telltale Games booth since I intend to cosplay Anemone from Tales of Monkey Island Ep 2.

nikasaur on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some people have expressed dismay at the meet-up being on Friday as they can't attend that day, but that's what the majority asked for. In order to get around this, would anyone have objections to a second meet-up on Saturday, same place and time? Obviously you don't have to attend both but it seems some attendees have multiple costumes to wear, so I guess that's a second chance to show off. :winky:

Let me know if there are any objections or other requests.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always kinda thought Saturday seemed like the natural day for it. Imagine for a minute that you're a cosplayer coming to PAX, but you haven't been on these boards at all. What day would you assume was the more popular day for cosplay? Saturday, right?

But whatever. I'm there for all 3 days, so it doesn't matter to me. I just want to make sure I do it the same day as the majority of the others so that we can interact.

Uno Ill Nino on
    The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I always kinda thought Saturday seemed like the natural day for it. Imagine for a minute that you're a cosplayer coming to PAX, but you haven't been on these boards at all. What day would you assume was the more popular day for cosplay? Saturday, right?

But whatever. I'm there for all 3 days, so it doesn't matter to me. I just want to make sure I do it the same day as the majority of the others so that we can interact.

All the over-the-weekend kind of Cons I have been to (which is kinda a lot now that I think about it), Saturday always has been the popular day to dress up.

Mine just coincides with the Bonus Buttons, hence only doing mine on Friday.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Both days sounds fine to me, since I have two costumes. :D I may have to duck out of a panel early on Saturday, but that is not something I mind.

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I only have one costume but I just realized that the time the meet up is on Friday is nearly an hour or two before the first PA panel. I'll probably have to leave early just to line up for that but I'll be there for at least a half-hour. plus we'll see each other wandering around the hall and stuff.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    JDDMichaelJDDMichael Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I got back from an amazing time at Blizzcon, complete with a handful of some fantastic cosplay photos. I noticed, however, a very pronounced level of irritation threaded through a handful of folks that were being asked to pose for a picture (although never at me, I was mostly shy enough about the intrusion that no one took offense, or just didn't hear me).

It got me thinking about the over protocol of obtaining photos and asking for poses. It has been a while since I've indulged in cosplay myself (none of my costumes have survived the years and I am not going to be ready for PAX this year), and it seems like a lot has changed.

So I ask you, when I come trudging up with my camera, how best should I approach you for a picture or two? One thing I am committed to is doing my best to tie the costume (as posted in this thread) with the person, if only out of respect.

Just looking for advice so as not to be a creep.

Is the Friday meet-up the best time to try and knock out a bulk of photos?

JDDMichael on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah, I know of it, and it'd be a workable solution, but I'd rather see if there's any other alternative methods out there. Probably something I'd want to test out and practice before the trip, huh?

When I dressed up last year, I ordered some silver hair spray online (since I couldn't really find any place in town with it.). The stuff worked out fine since I have black hair and the goal was a grey-ish color.

Ardor on
  • Options
    chokoretonekochokoretoneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ardor wrote: »

When I dressed up last year, I ordered some silver hair spray online (since I couldn't really find any place in town with it.). The stuff worked out fine since I have black hair and the goal was a grey-ish color.

I've used stuff like that (blue colour, just for fun) before... you will get the colour to show up regardless of your own hair colour, but I don't particularly like the nature of the spray itself, as it'll make your hair rather stiff. And as previously stated, it'll rub onto anything it touches really easily.

chokoretoneko on
    "I'MA CHARGIN MAH RAZR!"
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    JDDMichael wrote: »
    So, I got back from an amazing time at Blizzcon, complete with a handful of some fantastic cosplay photos. I noticed, however, a very pronounced level of irritation threaded through a handful of folks that were being asked to pose for a picture (although never at me, I was mostly shy enough about the intrusion that no one took offense, or just didn't hear me).

It got me thinking about the over protocol of obtaining photos and asking for poses. It has been a while since I've indulged in cosplay myself (none of my costumes have survived the years and I am not going to be ready for PAX this year), and it seems like a lot has changed.

So I ask you, when I come trudging up with my camera, how best should I approach you for a picture or two? One thing I am committed to is doing my best to tie the costume (as posted in this thread) with the person, if only out of respect.

Just looking for advice so as not to be a creep.

Is the Friday meet-up the best time to try and knock out a bulk of photos?

While I can't speak for others, as long as the photographer says something to the effect of "Hey, can I take your picture?" I am totally fine with it. Actually, I am even fine if they don't ask, though obviously I won't stop and pose if I don't get asked to. If I really didn't want any photos taken of me, I wouldn't dress up.
    I guess the important thing is just to respect it, leave them alone, and not feel slighted if they say "No, I've got to run to a panel" or whatever. And the cosplayers themselves have to remember that if they are running late, or need to be somewhere, or don't want their picture taken for whatever reason, to say so, instead of just being late and annoyed at the photographer for stopping them.
    I think the meetups probably are a very good place to take pics, since most of the cosplayers expect to have many pictures taken there, and probably aren't going anywhere right then.

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
This discussion has been closed.