As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Cosplay '09 [It's Over!]

• Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, so I'm in a bit of a fix here.
    I has assumed that my local shirt-making store would apply my Engie Logo to my shirt, but those
    money-hogging douchebags won't press images onto shirts they don't sell you, so now It's 9 days to PAX and my shirt is Engie-logo-less.
    Any suggestions? : (

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I has assumed that my local shirt-making store would apply my Engie Logo to my shirt, but those
    money-hogging douchebags won't press images onto shirts they don't sell you, so now It's 9 days to PAX and my shirt is Engie-logo-less.

Iron-on transfer?

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ardor wrote: »
    MrB:Larney wrote: »
    Elgaladwen wrote: »
    MrB:Larney wrote: »
    Hmm. So, my Persona 4 costume is coming along well enough, but I haven't thus far put any consideration into one thing - hair color. My hair is black, and the main character's is a medium gray. Any suggestions on how to temporarily lighten my hair for PAX (and only PAX)? Powdering, perhaps? I have no idea about these things, so I turn to you guys for help...

They have that spray-stuff at party stores that comes off after one wash. I think they make white, so you could use just a little, or comb some out, or something. I wouldn't reccomend using it, though, if your hair is going to touch anything, including your costume, that is not the same color. :/

Yeah, I know of it, and it'd be a workable solution, but I'd rather see if there's any other alternative methods out there. Probably something I'd want to test out and practice before the trip, huh?

When I dressed up last year, I ordered some silver hair spray online (since I couldn't really find any place in town with it.). The stuff worked out fine since I have black hair and the goal was a grey-ish color.

Thanks Ardor, I'll give that a shot.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Iron-on transfer?

This. Or learn to silk screen real fast (look it up on YouTube, easy peasy) and have a sustainable engie-shirt making method.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JDDMichael wrote: »
    So, I got back from an amazing time at Blizzcon, complete with a handful of some fantastic cosplay photos. I noticed, however, a very pronounced level of irritation threaded through a handful of folks that were being asked to pose for a picture (although never at me, I was mostly shy enough about the intrusion that no one took offense, or just didn't hear me).

It got me thinking about the over protocol of obtaining photos and asking for poses. It has been a while since I've indulged in cosplay myself (none of my costumes have survived the years and I am not going to be ready for PAX this year), and it seems like a lot has changed.

So I ask you, when I come trudging up with my camera, how best should I approach you for a picture or two? One thing I am committed to is doing my best to tie the costume (as posted in this thread) with the person, if only out of respect.

Just looking for advice so as not to be a creep.

Is the Friday meet-up the best time to try and knock out a bulk of photos?

While I can't speak for others, as long as the photographer says something to the effect of "Hey, can I take your picture?" I am totally fine with it. Actually, I am even fine if they don't ask, though obviously I won't stop and pose if I don't get asked to. If I really didn't want any photos taken of me, I wouldn't dress up.
    I guess the important thing is just to respect it, leave them alone, and not feel slighted if they say "No, I've got to run to a panel" or whatever. And the cosplayers themselves have to remember that if they are running late, or need to be somewhere, or don't want their picture taken for whatever reason, to say so, instead of just being late and annoyed at the photographer for stopping them.
    I think the meetups probably are a very good place to take pics, since most of the cosplayers expect to have many pictures taken there, and probably aren't going anywhere right then.

Pretty much just agreeing with the above. Dressing up is an attention grabber and if you aren't comfortable being stopped every five feet, don't cosplay. I got a lot of attention and I was always pleasant and willing to pose or drop a catch-phrase or something stupid because I expected that to be the case, although not perhaps in such volume. I went costumeless on Sunday and had always planned on this just so I could see some things I'd have missed otherwise because of all the stopping and picture taking. I still managed to see all the panels I wanted to on the previous two days, it was just nice for one day just to enjoy PAX like everyone else and not stand out.

It may seem a little egotistical perhaps, but when you're parading in costume you're kind of making yourself an attraction, so I treated it like I was representing a part of PAX and just enjoyed seeing people get all happy having their picture taken with Snake. I even got hugs from a teeny toddler, it was adorable ;__;

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So... basically if you're cosplaying you're the exact opposite of this guy?

IGNOREME.jpg

Had to do it.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks B:L, I can post for myself. :O
    Ardor wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Hmm. So, my Persona 4 costume is coming along well enough, but I haven't thus far put any consideration into one thing - hair color. My hair is black, and the main character's is a medium gray. Any suggestions on how to temporarily lighten my hair for PAX (and only PAX)? Powdering, perhaps? I have no idea about these things, so I turn to you guys for help...

They have that spray-stuff at party stores that comes off after one wash. I think they make white, so you could use just a little, or comb some out, or something. I wouldn't reccomend using it, though, if your hair is going to touch anything, including your costume, that is not the same color. :/

Yeah, I know of it, and it'd be a workable solution, but I'd rather see if there's any other alternative methods out there. Probably something I'd want to test out and practice before the trip, huh?

When I dressed up last year, I ordered some silver hair spray online (since I couldn't really find any place in town with it.). The stuff worked out fine since I have black hair and the goal was a grey-ish color.

If you still have the spray color, then perhaps you can pack it with you like last year and I can get a hold of it somehow while in Seattle? That's if I can't figure out an alternative method... we'll take it to PMs for further coordination.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here is what I have so far! :D

Elika: (Still need to tweek many things, but you get the idea)
    IMG_2798.JPG

Pris: (This is from SakuraCon, but the only real difference is that I'll have a better choker)
    IMG_2356.jpg

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • Options
    MeetTheHeavyMeetTheHeavy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I will be having;
    Fedora,
    Engie mask,
    glados shirt,

MeetTheHeavy on
    16404.gif
  • Options
    nikasaurnikasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

While I can't speak for others, as long as the photographer says something to the effect of "Hey, can I take your picture?" I am totally fine with it. Actually, I am even fine if they don't ask, though obviously I won't stop and pose if I don't get asked to. If I really didn't want any photos taken of me, I wouldn't dress up.
    I guess the important thing is just to respect it, leave them alone, and not feel slighted if they say "No, I've got to run to a panel" or whatever. And the cosplayers themselves have to remember that if they are running late, or need to be somewhere, or don't want their picture taken for whatever reason, to say so, instead of just being late and annoyed at the photographer for stopping them.
    I think the meetups probably are a very good place to take pics, since most of the cosplayers expect to have many pictures taken there, and probably aren't going anywhere right then.

I completely agree. When you Cosplay, you have to expect a level of inconvenience, but it's because you're being APPRECIATED! People like what you're doing, they want to capture it, what could be more awesome than that?
    In my many times cosplaying, I've always been extremely flattered and thrilled that people wanted to take a picture. If you actually NEED to be somewhere, just explain so- my only issue was needing to go to the restroom. I always account for not experiencing almost any part of the con that day because I'm in costume and I'll have to stop so much. You gotta wait til you're out of the costume.
    But that's just my 2 cents. Always be nice! It goes both ways!

nikasaur on
  • Options
    lilibatlilibat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you are going to get pissy because people like your costume so much they want an image of it for their very own, then stay home or wear something unremarkable.

The only time I have ever said no to a picture was when I was on my way back to the hotel, it was hot out and my knee was f'd up and I needed to get off it so it didn't swell up like a grapefruit. That was it.

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
  • Options
    Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So EA will have two guys dressed as Salem and Rios from Army of Two at their booth this year. I wonder if their masks will stack up to mine? I'm kinda worried they'll be wearing $1,400.00 worth of tac-gear, but there's no fuckin' way their masks will top mine......I hope! lol

Uno Ill Nino on
    The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lilibat wrote: »
    If you are going to get pissy because people like your costume so much they want an image of it for their very own, then stay home or wear something unremarkable.

The only time I have ever said no to a picture was when I was on my way back to the hotel, it was hot out and my knee was f'd up and I needed to get off it so it didn't swell up like a grapefruit. That was it.

Agreed... plus I like posing for photos... I'm proud of my costume and I wanna show it off.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about my sister who will no doubt get annoyed eventually as we're going to pratically glued to each other the entire time. She's already grumpy that she has to hold the bag for pretty much all of Friday.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think the costumes this year will be the best yet.

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    nikasaurnikasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about my sister who will no doubt get annoyed eventually as we're going to pratically glued to each other the entire time. She's already grumpy that she has to hold the bag for pretty much all of Friday.

You have to have EXTREMELY patient friends, it's true, or you have to sacrifice a lot of your friendly hangout time. I've done both with equal success, but that's why I only cosplay one day of a convention: I don't want to lose the whole experience (and there's a chance my friends would murder me.)

nikasaur on
  • Options
    goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JDDMichael wrote: »
    So, I got back from an amazing time at Blizzcon, complete with a handful of some fantastic cosplay photos. I noticed, however, a very pronounced level of irritation threaded through a handful of folks that were being asked to pose for a picture (although never at me, I was mostly shy enough about the intrusion that no one took offense, or just didn't hear me).

It got me thinking about the over protocol of obtaining photos and asking for poses. It has been a while since I've indulged in cosplay myself (none of my costumes have survived the years and I am not going to be ready for PAX this year), and it seems like a lot has changed.

So I ask you, when I come trudging up with my camera, how best should I approach you for a picture or two? One thing I am committed to is doing my best to tie the costume (as posted in this thread) with the person, if only out of respect.

Just looking for advice so as not to be a creep.

Is the Friday meet-up the best time to try and knock out a bulk of photos?

I say, always ask. Then I can get into an awesome pose for you. Otherwise you won't get as cool of a momento as you should be getting!

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Curse-Ten wrote: »

You have to have EXTREMELY patient friends, it's true, or you have to sacrifice a lot of your friendly hangout time. I've done both with equal success, but that's why I only cosplay one day of a convention: I don't want to lose the whole experience (and there's a chance my friends would murder me.)

Yeah I do the same...
    Not so bad if you're inconspicuous and your costume is comfy...
    But if it's bulky, a one day costume is better IMO.

That's what I'll be doing.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    KahnorKahnor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    my soldier costume wont be perfect, i had to ration my money lol, but i will get a helmet and boots!

Kahnor on
    I love the mountains, i love the bright blue skies, i love big bridges, blah blah blah blah blah blah I love the whole world, and all its sights and sounds, Boom de ya da boom de ya da boom de ya da boom de ya da- Discovery channel

Also, you just lost a chunk of your life!
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    does anyone know if there will be any cosplay contests this year?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    poisoningkissespoisoningkisses Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nothing fancy... but the hubby and I are going as mario and luigi, know it's not original, but it's just something simple and still fun. ;)

poisoningkisses on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    millislim wrote: »
    does anyone know if there will be any cosplay contests this year?

From the looks of it, no. Just the get-together for the TF2 kids.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Uno Ill NinoUno Ill Nino Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you are dressing as a game character, and the company that owns that character has a booth at PAX, be sure to stop by that booth and show them your costume. You never know what they might say about it or what kind of free swag they might throw your way.

Uno Ill Nino on
    The Moofcast! - A videogame podcast for adults.
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you are dressing as a game character, and the company that owns that character has a booth at PAX, be sure to stop by that booth and show them your costume. You never know what they might say about it or what kind of free swag they might throw your way.

Or, as happened to me, run into someone from a game company that just loves the character from a game they had nothing to do with. Cool times were had.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    lilibatlilibat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That has worked for us, we even got into an official video for the game when we did it in 2007.

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/media/flash/2007-09_WitchhunterCosplay.html

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, I spent all day wildly collecting the materiel needed for this cosplay! The iron ons didn't go well, and I couldn't find boots or a good replica of the glove, but... it's a start. =)

2009-08-29223814.jpg

2009-08-29223848.jpg

2009-08-29223901.jpg

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tell me the tool box is full of cookies...

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tell me the tool box is full of cookies...

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shhh! It's a secret to everybody. (da be do be da ba da ba! :winky: )

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    VT, that is awesome. Love it.

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    KragNaroKKragNaroK Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    RUN! RUUUNN IM COMING FOR YOU! COWARDS!
    http://twitpic.com/dsgua

KragNaroK on
  • Options
    KayleeFryeKayleeFrye Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Hey all!

I have been a lurker on this thread for about a month, ever since I decided I wanted to cosplay at PAX! I would have posted sooner but everyone's stuff is so impressive (it's my first cosplay!) and so it was a little intimidating... But I discovered yesterday that a friend of a friend of mine, Kat, was actually goddessofkats (Joanna Dark/Harley Quinn)! After lots of jokes about how creepy I am due to my forum lurking tendencies, I decided I just needed to post already!

So I'm going to go as a Daughter of the Eyrewood! I just loved the Lookouts and it seemed like a fairly straightforward outfit that I could accomplish in the month I had. The patch on the bag is the only part that I put together myself and didn't just buy (just a little felt, ribbon, thread and glue) but I like it :) Maybe I'll aim for something a little more involved next time!

So here's me:
    daughteroftheeyrewood.jpg

And here's a close up of the Lookouts/Daughters of the Eyrewood patch:
    maywedie.jpg

I'm so excited for PAX, and to see all these awesome costumes in person!!

:)

KayleeFrye on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dude. That's AMAZING!!! I cannot wait to see you there!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Very nice. I was going to cosplay a lookout, but wound up being too lazy to make a cloak. Did you say you bought yours? Where did you get it?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that is utterly amazing, it's so cute! I'm defiently going to scramble to get your picture. I'm the cosplayer dressing up as Dawn, can't wait to meet you!

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    KayleeFryeKayleeFrye Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Very nice. I was going to cosplay a lookout, but wound up being too lazy to make a cloak. Did you say you bought yours? Where did you get it?

The only place I could find a green cloak for less than $100 (black and white were way more common) was online at Twin Roses Designs I love the cloak, it's really nicely put together, and they definitely don't skimp at all on amount of fabric. I'm also hoping it'll be a little cooler in Seattle over PAX because it's pretty warm! But yeah, I was super happy when I found the website, a lot of places were charging around $200-250!

KayleeFrye on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Good stuff. Yeah, I'm not surprised. Cloak makers cater to the Renn Faire crowd, and those people (read: me) are crazy.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    oyasumidesuoyasumidesu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am almost done with my beat up princess peach costume, and on friday, look for a psychonauts group XD there will be alteast three of us this year XDDDDDDD

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We're 5 days away, but really time is just a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timy wimy....stuff
    IMG_0014.jpg

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    ultimaimaultimaima Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    We're 5 days away, but really time is just a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timy wimy....stuff
    IMG_0014.jpg

...are you sure you're not actually David Tennant? That's impressive. I'll definitely have to keep a lookout for you. :D

ultimaima on
This discussion has been closed.