As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Cosplay '09 [It's Over!]

• Options
    Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay looks like I'm going to sew it. Going to the big fabric store to pick up my sisters fabric and the patterns I need. Any suggestions on fabric? Defiently something thicker than the bulk cotton I'm getting for my sis. Sad thing is I know the coat fabric will cost more than the others.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    runwiled wrote: »

I've always wanted to see a totally bitchin' Red Mage...

And whoever does one, I will follow them and be their personal swooner.

There was one at PAX07 who did that and I followed them for a good ten minutes. They were a bit freaked out at first; but once I explained my obsession, they were more than happy to have a groupie.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i was a white mage at 06

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    07 was my first one, though. And I probably would have followed you, though. Oh wait! I already did when you were Medic and Anne-Claire.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    07 was my first one, though. And I probably would have followed you, though. Oh wait! I already did when you were Medic and Anne-Claire.

You did?! really? did you talk to me?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    SuperChiefSuperChief Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    This will be my first con ever, so i thought of making a costume of Pen from Adventure Time.
    But are costumes preferred to have a video game reference?
    adventure_time.jpg

SuperChief on
    This isn't your permission slip! This is your report cawd!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    once you get to pax you'll know exactly what i mean when i say...

wear whatever costume you like...
    last year a girl was harley quin...not really a game character I would say but most if not all people at pax are extremely easy going and will admire your costume as long as its well done and/or hilarious. I would think a Pen costume would be awesome!...You'll probably hear random people yell "allegebraic" or "adventure time" at you...just be prepared for pictures too

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    SuperChiefSuperChief Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    millislim wrote: »
    once you get to pax you'll know exactly what i mean when i say...

wear whatever costume you like...
    last year a girl was harley quin...not really a game character I would say but most if not all people at pax are extremely easy going and will admire your costume as long as its well done and/or hilarious. I would think a Pen costume would be awesome!...You'll probably hear random people yell "allegebraic" or "adventure time" at you...just be prepared for pictures too

I would admire and desire anyone that would wear a Jake Costume!

SuperChief on
    This isn't your permission slip! This is your report cawd!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    millislim wrote: »
    You did?! really? did you talk to me?

Now, I understand that there were a bajillion folks there; taking pictures and stuffs; but yes. In the Foyer area before the Exhibit Hall. Doofus.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    coricori Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    SuperChief wrote: »
    This will be my first con ever, so i thought of making a costume of Pen from Adventure Time.

Your hat would be aweeeesssooome!
    I think that'd be effin great.

Additionally, thank you everyone for the encouragement. I definitely won't feel like I'm sticking out now.
    Oddly enough, for the longest time I had a Red Mage Viera from FF: Tactics Advance planned, but the bunny ears bugged me. I think I'll stick with Rydia though.
    Thanks you guys!

cori on
  • Options
    Manch_ErickManch_Erick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This will be my first PAX - flying from Manchester, NH - plan on wearing my Luigi costume. I have till Sept. to make a red backpack/Poltergust 3000 from Luigi's mansion. Is there alot of Mario/Luigi people?? I do more of a real-life Luigi (I'm 1/2 Italian) just concerned I'll be Luigi #28

Manch_Erick on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This will be my first PAX - flying from Manchester, NH - plan on wearing my Luigi costume. I have till Sept. to make a red backpack/Poltergust 3000 from Luigi's mansion. Is there alot of Mario/Luigi people?? I do more of a real-life Luigi (I'm 1/2 Italian) just concerned I'll be Luigi #28

Don't worry about being another Luigi in the crown, last year everyone just focused on these two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s70HwbqY1w

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yay! Heading to the fabric store at the end of the week, time to get things ready!

okay so my next task is going to be fun, I need to make dawn's poketch. Goo dnews, they actually make them, bad news, you have to import them form japan and Amazon nor ebay has any.

So what I'm going to do is buy a cheap toy with a screen (like a calculator's but bigger) and then use felt and make my own (everything can be made of felt) More good news, I just need a simple double breasted coat pattern and edit it as I see fit (longer) I realized that if I could buy the coat I would have to take off the buttons which would ruin the fabric if they were sown directly in.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Don't worry about being another Luigi in the crown, last year everyone just focused on these two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s70HwbqY1w
    Hey, hey, hey! We had no intention to hit them until Porkfry told us he wanted something for the DVD. Then we only did it because we though it would be funny to have them on the DVD.

But, of course, if it wasn't for this, JoCo, Wil Wheaton, and Gabe and Tycho probably wouldn't have happened.

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like I'm going as a Jedi. :)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So far on my air soldier costume I've made the jumpsuit...im just working on the detail stuff like the outines of the star like details on the knees. It's coming along! I'll post a pic soon of what I have so far. Anyone else working on theirs right now?

costume so far
    heartlesswip001.jpg

ref pic
    heartless-air-soldier.jpg

wing structure
    heartlesswip002.jpg

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Costume so far...still need to finish gloves, wings and shoes...
    heartlesshead002.jpg
    heartlesshead005.jpg

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dude. That's frackin' sweet.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    thanks! I'm super proud of it. Hope it's a crowd pleaser at PAX this year. The medic i did last time went well but very uncomfortable...this one is pretty warm to wear but much more friendly on the body...at least it seems that way

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    scotty2haughtyscotty2haughty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd really like to crossplay as Riona or Rikku (FF) or any other equally hot girl to crossplay as.

scotty2haughty on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd really like to crossplay as Riona or Rikku (FF) or any other equally hot girl to crossplay as.

Bridget. Do eet!

redhalo on
  • Options
    Pope7Pope7 Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    First post, but I'll skip the newbtalk and skip to what I'm PAX cosplaying as!

This'll be my third PAX, and me and a bunch of awesome people from Oregon are going.

I'm male. 6'5''. thinnish, but still. I'm going as Zoey from L4D! A tall sexy girl in our group is going as her too, so we'll have a creepy twincest thing going on. Hahaha.

The rest of the group might do a few things. We might get the full L4D crew going, (We have a boomer, but no black guy. We even have a girl willing to go full-out witch, panties and all. Haha.) or one of the guys might go as Bill and EVERYONE else will also go as Zoey, so it'll be Bill and his Harem of Zoey's. Add us to the list? <3.

Pope7 on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After reviewing the thread again, it looks like I have not herein announced my intention of cosplaying this character. However, it will only be for the Pre-PAX bar crawl and you won't catch me dead in it after that has ended (I'm mainly doing it for my wife).

I'm relying on my sister-in-law to find the time to make it, so if it doesn't happen I can blame her.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OMG snape? LOL nice nice...you should totally rock that suit during the main event!

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm trying to cobble together a Circuit City brigade -- ex-CC employees wearing their old CC uniforms. :D

babelfish on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    babelfish wrote: »
    I'm trying to cobble together a Circuit City brigade -- ex-CC employees wearing their old CC uniforms. :D

Damn, if I wasn't going as Waldo, I would be all over that.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    goddessofkatsgoddessofkats Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    nintendoXO wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    nintendoXO wrote: »
    Ekkosangen wrote: »
    I'm thinking about putting together a little something, but I'm torn...

RED or BLU? :D

Oooo I have 3 planned out Heavy,spy and medic :D I will go RED if you go BLU? :D

/!\MY GIRLFRIEND/!\ and I have settled on a Red Engie (me) and Sniper (her), if that'll influence anyone.

XD I like the exaggeration around MY GIRLFRIEND.
    OH MAN! Not to mention your ON A BOAT!!!!! Well, I'm on a dolphin doin flips and shit...

OK! so...we all should meet up :D and do you guys play for xbox or pc? Im always looking for people to play with. ^_^

my gamertag is SniperKiki
    I agree to meetup!!!

goddessofkats on
    Kat ^..^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    lol...more tf2 cosplay! where were you guys last year? we didn't have a sniper for our group.

if i recall there were two spies, two scouts (girls), medic (me), two engies, pyro (sort of)...am i missing any?

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I found out you can actually buy Dawn's hat at Ebay and it's a nicer quality than using the beanie that I'm using, might still go with the cheaper version though (I found another one sorting some clothes so that can be a back up) the scarf is going to be slightly hard to make as it uses a lot more fabric than Dawn's old red scarf. I still have no idea if I can find an official Poketch so my back up idea is to cut out a similair LCD screen and use it by making it with stiff felt base (anything can be made with felt is my motto).

Now all I need is the right kind of fabric, what would you guys suggest? Something stiff alright and can keep it's shape.
    kaigreatpicture.jpg

Here is the only other costume I've done, Kai from Okami, if the outercoat wasn't in such bad condition I would reuse it, The mask is my favorite.

I am super jelous of ypur costume there Mill >:D

EDIT: Hah you can see the velcro stap in that picture on the emblem.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    what is the stiff fabric gonna be used for?

My current costume (heartless) is made of duck cloth...the stuff is usually used for making aprons or very heavy stress items since it's so think. I also liked it for how thick it is so you don't have transparency issues and how vivid the colors are. Warning tho...it's like $8 a yard (i had a coupon that made that purchase FAR less painful) and it's stiff that it can hold poofy-ness without interfacing...if you look at my costume again you can see it kinda stands away from the body.

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh crap, i just noticed that the next professor layton game will be released in about 6 months in the us. im definitely making the boyfriend cosplay as luke and layton for at least one day. its going to be great.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah the reason why I want stiff fabric is because cotton doesn't hold it's shape reall well and is somewhat thin. Similair fabric to winter coats that are double breasted and doesn't have to be ironed everytime I even glance at it. Yeah the main problem is the price, hopefully since I'm only making one coat I can get away with less than six yards at the most.

Still don't know what kind of fabric I want for the scarf. Then again I'll probably find something when I go shopping.

Curse-Ten on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Curse-Ten wrote: »
    Yeah the reason why I want stiff fabric is because cotton doesn't hold it's shape reall well and is somewhat thin. Similair fabric to winter coats that are double breasted and doesn't have to be ironed everytime I even glance at it. Yeah the main problem is the price, hopefully since I'm only making one coat I can get away with less than six yards at the most.

Still don't know what kind of fabric I want for the scarf. Then again I'll probably find something when I go shopping.

duck cloth is a pain to iron but that probably means it would be hard to crease it once it's ironed out. I don't know if you have Joann's fabrics stores near you. But if you do, every sunday in the Sacramento Bee there's a 40% off coupon. Joann's also honors coupons from Michaels craft stores.

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So...I've nearly finished my costume for PAX. All the while, as I made my suit, I tried my best to make it flexible and/or strong enough to take the pounding I'm sure it will receive during check-in (even though I'll tell them it's super fragile). I have my suitcase that I thought would fit everthing nicely...it will fit everything but only if I squish it.

And here's where I get to the questions and sobbing and begging....

Does anyone know how I can get this thing in one piece to PAX without spending a small fortune? I'm flying Alaska and have already looked at their baggage policies. My parcel doesn't fit any of the oversized/overweight packages.

The box would probably be fairly large but less than 15 lbs! I'm sure I could ship it but I've never done anything like that before. I'm staying in a hotel (Grand Hyatt) and wonder if they would receive the costume if I mailed it.

Have any of you guys done something like this before? If so, how much could I expect to spend? ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME! I really need it!

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Most hotels will receive and hold a package for you if you call them and let them know ahead of time and it doesn't get there too soon before you do.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    ya but then there's the problem of when to mail it and how to mail it back to myself after pax

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe you could get in touch with a Seattle local PAXer and mail it to them for holding? and then give then try and make it to a post office or FedEx before leaving Seattle to get it sent home... also, many hotels can handle pick ups for delivery if you make arrangements and pay them.

CRCelf on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    also, many hotels can handle pick ups for delivery if you make arrangements and pay them.

So long as it is not a dinky hotel, if you FedEx something they will hold packages for free, just call them and say you are having something sent ahead of time. Do it all the time for work.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to cosplay as Moe Fwacky.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could always take the train instead of flying.

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.