As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Employee Lounge - Where the coffee is cold and the discount non-existent.

• Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, slight update on the corporate thievery guy.

He sent a lackey in to return the papers. Said lackey hid them inside some grills, then threw the rest in between my dog food H-frames.

I was not pleased.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I love where I work.

Man, I so love it. I love it in ways I can't explain. Ah...

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bursar works at a brothel.

Andorien on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ok, so I saw the shirtless reggie Wii shirt in the backroom today, and my manager said something about how they were part of a deal for customers, and I could just buy one? Anyone know how to get one?

ronzo on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    We've started to keep a log of customers requesting PS3s... We record the times of day; we're at around 50 per day now. Our store didn't get any.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So.

Anyone working at Target? How about Bestbuy or Gamestop?

Judging by what you've heard of customers asking, and judging by the numbers you are expecting of the Wii when it comes in...

Should I head out and line up tonight, or would it be cool if I just head down an hour before opening tomorrow?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No lines, and supposedly only a few people asking about them at my local Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy. The 24 hour walmart guy was a little unclear whether he'd give me a console at midnight or not, so I am going down there tonight to check. Midnight > 8 am.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, so has anyone heard any numbers on how many Wii's most stores are getting?

I think on average most places were getting 10-15 PS3's with BestBuys getting closer to 50 per store.... at least up here in Canada.

I'm just wondering how crazy it will be tomorrow (and if I want to try and go get one...)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    KiTA wrote:
    So.

Judging by what you've heard of customers asking, and judging by the numbers you are expecting of the Wii when it comes in...

Should I head out and line up tonight, or would it be cool if I just head down an hour before opening tomorrow?

Don't bother with Gamestop. Reserves only at midnight, but they all should have more for black friday.

I hear Wal-Mart and Target are the way to go.

Edit: Speaking of, my DM is all pissed that a bunch of us are doing midnight opens. He said absolutely not, was threatening us to not do them, etc. So the ARN call goes out (complete with Reggie talking!) that we'll be open at midnight...

What does he want us to tell our customers who get that call? :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    KingSpike wrote:
    Man, hasn't the dude heard of Mapquest

If I'm not sure where someplace is, I'll just phone them up and ask them what their major crossroads are

You'd think it be that easy, but there's this lady that comes in to my bar that is fucking psychotic when it comes to the internet. She's older, and generally just a negative person. She's asked me to look up the stock of her former employer in the newspaper to see how it's doing. I didn't see it but I pointed out that there is both a phone number and a website. Boy did she ream me a new one about the internet.

"I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE INTERNET. I DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER. I DON'T HAVE THE INTERNET. WHAT IS THE INTERNET? WHY DO PEOPLE ASSUME I KNOW HOW TO DO THIS INTERNET THING?"

I understood her point the first time because not everyone has a computer or internet access. But every time the internet is mentioned around her she goes through the same speech. Hell, every time you mention anything she goes in to some crazy rant.

haha awesome. I love angry old people.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Classic customer today

wanted to return a 360 magazine because it wasn't right, (magazine had been opened).

I asked "is the demo disc broken?"

customer "Nope didn't use it"

Me "you know this is a magazine we cannot accept returns of them"

Customer "this is a magazine?"

Me *sigh*

Saturday mornings eh?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    KasanagiKasanagi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    KiTA wrote:
    So.

I work for Best Buy, and I can give you some answers, seeing as they're fairly common knowledge anyway.

Judging by what I've heard and looked up, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Wii during launch week. Launch day may be a little hectic, but launch week will see things roll out smoothly. Our store has over 100 in the store already, and apparently over 60 more on order (to come either tuesday or thursday). Seeing as we don't have anyone lined up outside our store, and have no plans for an early opening for launch, I think it will be a lot less dramatic then the PS3 launch.

Most best buy stores in my district got around 20 PS3's (15:5 ratio of 60's to 20's) but our store is a high profile store so we got about double that. Needless to say we're sold out.

Kasanagi on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bestbuy just called me and asked if I wanted to work Just friday and saturday next week.
    Then not be employed there anymore.

Uhh... what the fuck?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Bestbuy just called me and asked if I wanted to work Just friday and saturday next week.

Uhh... what the fuck?
    What kind of pay are they offering? For $15 an hour I'd work open to close both days.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Uhh... what the fuck?
    Lets just be friends...

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    anyone have the low down on the GS/EB employee appreciation days on dec 1-3 yet?

i hear we might be getting a discount on new systems......

i'll check email tonight when i go in for the wii launch.

Edit: that means like 300 dollar premium 360 systems and 187 dollar wii's.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zephos wrote:
    anyone have the low down on the GS/EB employee appreciation days on dec 1-3 yet?

Maybe in ten more years they'll show appreciation for their employees with a living wage and some kind of healthcare...
    :lol:

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Zephos wrote:

Maybe in ten more years they'll show appreciation for their employees with a living wage and some kind of healthcare...
    :lol:

BAH-ZING!

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zephos wrote:

It's not on new systems, or other hardware.

Kami on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    should have known as much, i got the news from not my store.

the guy is notoriously an idiot.

this is actually good news for me though, means i dont have to wait 2 more weeks for my 360.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Uhh... what the fuck?
    What kind of pay are they offering? For $15 an hour I'd work open to close both days.

Well I'm already scheduled to work those days with my job at gamestop.
    I was hoping for a more longterm employment opportunity because I'd heard that bestbuy pays better.

Not to mention the superior discount.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

Hardware as in "everything-not-software" or hardware as in "systems"? Because the only hardware I'm interested in buying right now is a particular 3rd-party Gamecube controller.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:
    Zephos wrote:

Hardware as in "everything-not-software" or hardware as in "systems"? Because the only hardware I'm interested in buying right now is a particular 3rd-party Gamecube controller.

In normal Corporate fashion, they didn't specify. If they don't specify before the sale days, our Store Manager's giving us a discount on everything but new systems. :lol:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I would speculate that everything the discount rings up on is what it applies to.

Is it really Dec 1-3rd?

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yeah especially with the new automatic discount thing.....

hrm.... I'll just buy a 360 tomorrow, in no way do i have the confidence in corporate to be as cool as to allow a discount on new systems.

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I would speculate that everything the discount rings up on is what it applies to.
    I would speculate that A POS is very, very, very appropriately named, and as a result that your speculation is rather, insane, as it relies on the system being intelligent. I have used it one day. I managed to crash it by swiping a credit-card. Properly, even.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I would speculate that A POS is very, very, very appropriately named, and as a result that your speculation is rather, insane, as it relies on the system being intelligent. I have used it one day. I managed to crash it by swiping a credit-card. Properly, even.

Both of our machines crash an average of 5 times a day.

It's very annoying.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

I say what I say not in the official sense, but more in the sense that if I could get the discount on a new system (not that I'm going to try, I lack the funds) it would be more worth it to buy the console at that rate and be fired then to not buy the console at that rate and not be fired.
    You see where I am with this?

I get crappy hours and am being paid minimum wage, it would be hard for me to to find a worse job.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

I say what I say not in the official sense, but more in the sense that if I could get the discount on a new system (not that I'm going to try, I lack the funds) it would be more worth it to buy the console at that rate and be fired then to not buy the console at that rate and not be fired.
    You see where I am with this?

I get crappy hours and am being paid minimum wage, it would be hard for me to to find a worse job.
    I don't actually count Gamestop as a job this time around.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OK game store and electronics employees, can anyone answer the component/s-video riddle about the Wii for tomorrow?

I've heard not-so-good chances on the component, but what about S-video?

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drove by the Target here right next to Dell on the way home.

Two guys were setting up a big "THE WII LINE STARTS HERE" official sign.

They're going to be giving out tickets on a first come first served basis tomorrow morning.

I am planning on just setting up my alarm as per a normal workday then going down and trying to get one (around 8 AM), which is ~1-2 hours before they open.

KiTA on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:

It's very annoying.

I've used the POS for a year and a half, 40 hours a week and it's never crashed on me. They took out all the cool stuff when gamestop started getting the new computers, like the automatic promotions and district look up, I'm glad to see it's coming back.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    YodaTuna wrote:
    Kami wrote:

It's very annoying.

I've used the POS for a year and a half, 40 hours a week and it's never crashed on me. They took out all the cool stuff when gamestop started getting the new computers, like the automatic promotions and district look up, I'm glad to see it's coming back.
    The old DOS-based POS we had at Gamestop before the merger was damn near bulletproof. I liked it.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I work at Amazon.com customer service. In case you don't know, Target's website is hosted by Amazon, and we handle a lot of their shipping (target.direct). Today, some fool in marketing flipped the switch on the (apparently nonexistent in this hemisphere) 20gb PS3 product page proclaiming "In stock. Ships from and sold by Target." You may have heard about/seen this.

I worked a 6a-5p shift, and tons of people called about this in this manner:

OHMYGODTHEPSTHREE! I'm calling to yell at you because my order for 3 PS3s was cancelled or won't be delivered until January 15! what the fuck is your problem Amazon?? I demand satisfaction!

Basically I apologized for 10 hours today.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    harvest wrote:
    I work at Amazon.com customer service. In case you don't know, Target's website is hosted by Amazon, and we handle a lot of their shipping (target.direct). Today, some fool in marketing flipped the switch on the (apparently nonexistent in this hemisphere) 20gb PS3 product page proclaiming "In stock. Ships from and sold by Target." You may have heard about/seen this.

I worked a 6a-5p shift, and tons of people called about this in this manner:

OHMYGODTHEPSTHREE! I'm calling to yell at you because my order for 3 PS3s was cancelled or won't be delivered until January 15! what the fuck is your problem Amazon?? I demand satisfaction!

Basically I apologized for 10 hours today.
    Find out who it was who turned it on, and punch him in the balls.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'll do you one better. People used to call me at Gamestop, to ask me questions about the store next door. "What time do they open?" "Do you know what their phone number is?" "Do they carry _____?"

What the fuck? Who does that?

That happened one day while I was waiting to be rung up at EBStop. The guy was on the phone for five minutes with someone while I patiently waited. I asked out of curiosity what that was about, sensing an amusing story. It turned out that no one was answering the phone next door at Kay-Bee and the guy wanted my lovely register biscuit to go over there and tell them to answer the phone.

:roll:

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    KiTA wrote:
    So.

I counted 4 people camping outside my Best Buy when I left work at 8 pm tonight. No tents, but they did have some chairs set up outside. It's supposed to turn cold tonight, so I suspect they will chicken out. They are probably expecting a midnight release, despite us saying repeatedly that we would not be having one.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    So, I interviewed at Gamestop about a month ago, I've continually forgotten to call them back, and my friend said they only hired him after he called. Do they only hire people who call back?

Also, I glanced at the little grading sheet while I was taking my interview, I got about half 5s and half 2s, what are my chances of getting hired?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ummm...

calling the employer back is sort of the rule for pretty much any job in any market, dude.

you have to show them you really want it. everybody else who doesnt get the job are the ones who couldnt do that

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Wii launch was a blast tonight. We sold through most of our systems, I cooked hot dogs for my customers, and everyone had a good time. Fun ++.

Off to play Wii Sports!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.