As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burning A Hole In Your Pocket: Impulse Buys

13»

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My best impulse buy of all time was for Deathrow.

Oh lord how I love Deathrow.

There needs to be a PSN/XBLA release of that game with added online support because it is amazing fun.
    On the off chance you can find a copy somewhere pick it up. I think it was only released on Xbox but the BC works perfect.

Accualt on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This isn't really an impulse buy but it wasn't really a planned buy either.

I pretty much ignored GTA 4 all the way up until a week before it was released.
    Then, still while not really being excited or anxiously awaiting it or anything, I decided to preorder it then a week later went to the midnight release.

My gf was very confused by this as normally for a game I go to the midnight release for I'm super excited for it and talk about it all the time and I hadn't talked about this one at all. I had to think for a long time to answer her question, but I realised the reason I had no anxiety or desire to wait for it is that I just trusted I would enjoy it without consciously thinking about it. I just knew it would be entertaining and worth the money so I got it, because I enjoyed all the others.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    the Steam sale was horrible for me as far as impulse buys go. I wouldn't have bought any of the stuff that I did at full price, but it was all so cheap! Not having to leave the house + paypal + cheap games = so much bank account pain.

I'm horrible with money, which is bad because I don't have much of it. Most of the games I buy are on sale, but I use that to justify buying more than I can afford. CAG is also very (un)helpful in this regard, i buy way more stuff than I should because I tell myself it won't be on sale forever so I might as well get it while it's cheap.

elevature on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    the Steam sale was horrible for me as far as impulse buys go. I wouldn't have bought any of the stuff that I did at full price, but it was all so cheap! Not having to leave the house + paypal + cheap games = so much bank account pain.

I'm horrible with money, which is bad because I don't have much of it. Most of the games I buy are on sale, but I use that to justify buying more than I can afford. CAG is also very (un)helpful in this regard, i buy way more stuff than I should because I tell myself it won't be on sale forever so I might as well get it while it's cheap.

Oh yeah, God. That steam sale was brutal on the wallet just from the sheer amount of games I bought, not necessarily their individual price. I did buy a lot of the 99c games though purely on principle (Doom 2 masters levels come on!!).

GOG is also a bit of a disaster for impulse buyers when you let the releases build up for about a month
    Jagged Alliance promo this weekend D:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I bought Zone of the Enders for 4 bucks.

BEST.... 4..... BUCKS..... EVAAARRRR!!!!!!!

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think my best impulse buy ever was Condemned. I had never heard about it before and I generally dislike scary games... but that game was freaking awesome. Too bad I can't get the sequel on PC.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

It was worth the five bucks I paid for it. I just wish it wasn't really, really, really, really, really short..

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

It was worth the five bucks I paid for it. I just wish it wasn't really, really, really, really, really short..

So it isn't worth the AU$25 on ebay?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »

Zone of the Enders...eh, kinda.

Zone of the Enders 2 though? Fuck yes.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KaligordKaligord Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think we are all missing the point here, it is not enough to stay away from stores and website. You need to stay away from these forums! Since I started my current job I think this place has cost me so much but also helped me play some great games I may not have heard of without (Dark Corners of the Earth, Im looking at you) so I guess it is like a gift and a curse or maybe a drug.

Im also shocked nobody has mentioned wargaming yet, that is the worst for impulse buying. I have started whole new armies because of one miniature that looked "cool". In the last 3 weeks Ive impulsed bought about £200 ($350ish) just to finish an army off with some nice stuff - damn you games workshop, damn you.

Although I do love buying stuff and am thinking of picking up Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero World Tour with guitar because I have next week off work booya!

Kaligord on
    And I - am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand. Your sword.
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just kinda impulse bought Hotel Dusk for $20. I say ''kinda'' because I considered picking this one up before without actually doing it.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    when I got my 360 I had no games.. wasn't really planning on getting any games except some xbla stuff.. but one day at BB I bought burnout paradise for it because it was cheap. trade it in at gamestop 30 minutes later.
    what a piece of shit game what was..
    I hear they're actually going to make the game good next month with a restart race option.

best impulse buy was picking panzer dragoon and zwei at a pawn shop for $2 a piece.
    Wish we could get another panzer dragoon for ps3 and 360... sigh..

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Zone of the Enders...eh, kinda.

Zone of the Enders 2 though? Fuck yes.

I would have gladly payed full price for it.

It was short but GIANT ROBOTS GO FWOOOOOOMMMMM!

Ending was a bitch, though. And now I am desperately trying to track down ZOE 2. Seriously, I love ZOE much more then I love Metal Gear.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    ApharmdApharmd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heh, still got both Zoe 1&2. Kind of ironic, bought ZoE for the Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo, ended up playing it more than MGS2 after finishing them.

On impulse buys, bought an Xbox from Gamestation for £20 (was supposed to be £30, nice guys), and two games (Dead or Alive 3, Battlestar Galactica) for £3 each from Cash Convertors.

Last time I was in CC, they had a boxed Steel Battalion set for £40. Never bought it, as I didn't have an Xbox. Not making that mistake again.

DoA3 crashes randomly. Taking it back on Monday.

Apharmd on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I impulse bought the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on DVD on Black Friday. Best. Decision. Ever. It's already one of my favorite shows.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    homewrecker4homewrecker4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    During the Steam holiday sale, I bought The Witcher: Enhanced Edition because I wanted a good RPG that would last me a while but I'd never really played it or watched any gameplay videos of it before. I kind of regret it because I'm having a really hard time getting into it =/ I wish I had bought Mass Effect instead, but there was a recent price drop on ME so I guess it wasn't a total loss.
    I mean, I really want to get into TW:EE and love it like most other people who've played it, but I dunno, it feels kind of "unpolished". And the combat isn't as involving as I thought it would be (but I won't fault the game for my own expectations). I'm hoping that the game will get better as I go on but that's a problem because I don't really feel like playing it.

EDIT: As for an impulse buy that turned out good, Freedom Fighters for the Gamecube. What a fantastic game, the only way it could have been better was if it somehow had a co-op campaign mode (although I imagine that would have been difficult to implement correctly).
    ---

homewrecker4 on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always impulse buy games, but generally not while i'm at the store. I'll be sitting in my apartment, bored, and then browse these forums or steam and look for something that looks even remotely interesting then buy it. Then I play it for a week, and lose interest.

Steam has made impulse buying waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy.

I have a feeling i'll be buying skate 2 tomorrow.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I impulse bought the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on DVD on Black Friday. Best. Decision. Ever. It's already one of my favorite shows.

GREAT show. I love it.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Most of my impulse buys are books because I'm too poor to be able to shrug off the price of a game, but every now and then I'll get really taken away by a game and buy it at the full $60, which is pretty much always an impulse purchase given how rapidly games decrease in price.

I might end up snatching RE5 right away because it comes out over break, and it's really hard not to go make an impulse purchase when I'm sitting at home twiddling my thumbs.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

GREAT show. I love it.
    Seriously. I bought Season 3 when I was done with the first two and I'm now waiting for the fourth to come out on DVD. This is coming from a person who doesn't buy shows on DVD.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just bought Racedriver: Grid and I shouldn't have

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Of the three games I impulse bought, I just started SmackDown vs. Raw 2009.

It's good fun so far, kind of prefer the old SmackDowns but probably just have to get used to it.

But...good God, other companies can learn something from this presentation. The menus are so fucking sleek, loading times fast, a lot of options but nicely organized to never feel overwhelming. Really took me by surprise.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I actually had 4 impulse buys at the start of the weekend.

Ghost Recon Advance Warfigher PC- $10 Aus
    Ghost Recon Advance Warfigher 2 PC- $15 Aus
    Wipeout Pulse $15 Aus

I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Wipeout Pulse $15 Aus

I paid full price on release and I'm still playing it.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Wipeout Pulse $15 Aus

I paid full price on release and I'm still playing it.

Yeah I actually feel shitty for not picking it up earlier I'd have paid full price, it's my bargain of the year so far.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    After selling my WoW account, I had a bunch of money grinning malevolently at me from my paypal account, so I bought a toploader NES on ebay. Then for good measure, I picked up a pack of 5 replacement 72 pin connectors to fix up the 3 old style NES decks I had sitting around.

The toploader didnt work, and neither did two of the three nes decks even after replacing the connectors.

I also picked up Batman Returns and Super Return of the Jedi for the SNES at $2 each, and Xevious for the NES for a buck at a thrift shop. My SNES stopped working now too, so I can't play any of them.

The virtual console is looking like a solid choice for future impulses.

commathe on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I grabbed the Resident Evil 4 Collectors edition for the PS2 for 15$.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just renewed my XBL and bought SSFII HD Remix...in preparation for SF4 and a fighter stick. In the middle of a really hard semester. Very guilty pleasure :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I just made a huge impulse purchase. My store has a buy 1, get 1 half off sale on all gaming accessories. This includes Wii and Microsoft Points. So I bought 2 2000 Wii point cards and 2 2800 MS points cards.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    just bought Persona 4 and Valkyria Chronicles on a whim

at least I got a tax return coming soon

gurusloth on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had a huge addiction to buying DVD's until I invested in Netflix and told myself no more trips to the store.

I also just bout Valkyrie Chronicles after my 360 got the RROD. Good pick up though.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I picked up Trials during the Steam holiday sale for $2.50. While not the best game ever it was certainly a great buy for $2.50. It was also the first time in a long time I had the urge to throw my controller. Except that I was playing it on my laptop, so that would have been a really expensive toss.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Ohhh goooood. Are you happy now? I JUST PUNCHED A HOLE IN MY WALL.

I laugh every time I think of that line.

desc on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I impulse bought Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 and Left4Dead off of Steam yesterday. I'm not disappointed with either purchase.

Also Hulk Vs. on Blu-Ray since I heard it's actually pretty violent and true to the comics (while we don't actively read the comics anymore, my brother and I are still big comic fans and it's something to watch next time we hang out).

Invisible on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't really let me impulse buy on anything that costs more than $30. If it's $10 and a video game that I've heard of, I'll probably buy it. And everything else cheap next to it.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]