As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me upgrade my computer for Sims 3 :(

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
::edit:: Ah crap, I missed the giant massive sticky thread about PC Builds. Sorry folks! Mods, feel free to move this or shout at me :)

Ok, Sims3 is coming out and the minimum specs are apparently:

XP w/service pack 2
Pentium IV 2.0 GHz Athlon XP 2000+
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX 5900/Radeon 9500 - 128 MB

Currently I'm running onboard graphics and an Athlon XP 1800+ with 2gb ram. I really don't care much for pc gaming but my other half is a Sims 3 nut. I'm going to have to upgrade my PC so she can play it or I'll never here the end of it (besides, she's going to pay half).

I want to do it as cheap as is humanly possible. I'm looking at replacing my Motherboard and CPU, probably with a dual core and I need to replace my graphics card. Problem is I'm so far out of the loop with PC Hardware I don't know where to start. I don't know the difference between Geforce GTs and GSs and so on and so forth.

So, can anyone recommend a cheap upgrade for me (noting that I'm in the UK and everything is bloody expensive here)?

Ideally I would like to spend less than £150 (£75 each) but I don't know if that's realistic.

Cheers folks!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just bought an ATI Radeon 4670, which cost like 130 bucks. Its an insanely good card for that price.

Im gonna qualify that as canadian dollars. So about double what it would cost in america, i dunno about europe.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think the best you can do is about another 2Gb of RAM and a 512Mg graphics card.
    Other than that theres not much you can do. I expect the Sims 3 will be quite scalable but i think because of the open ended neighbourhood it will rely on CPU usage more, so i expect your CPU might let you down.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just get a new processor and a cheapie 256MB Geforce 6200 based card. Shouldn't set you back too much. Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core procs are cheap on Ebay and the 6200 based AGP cards are also next to nothing.

logic7 on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BTW, My current machine is an Athlon XP2500+ Barton machine with said 256MB Geforce 6200 card (made by PNY) w/2GB ram. believe it or not, I can run Crysis on it... Not well... but it ain't a slideshow!

logic7 on