As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Beer. Last page..

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Some sketches. Some watercolors. All taken with my phone camera....sorry. The zombie was retaken.. I can't seem to get a good pic of it. It either appears too washed out or too dark...oh well. Thoughts?

upload7.jpg
    upload5.jpg
    upload8.jpg
    upload6.jpg
    upload4.jpg
    upload3.jpg
    upload2.jpg
    upload1.jpg

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    2-1.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    excellence man.

particularly fond of the dissected bear

ninjai on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I am more concerned about your mental state when considering dissected bear......even though it is a pretty rad drawing.

Ninjai...thanks!
    Mustang...i want to paint it...it's fun!!! insides are funny when they are outside!

Im going to try doing some basic textures from memory then actually look at some references and do the same textures again. any other texture ideas? i was thinking water, glass, rock, asphalt...any other suggestions?

balls1.jpg

• NicNic Registered User regular
    I would say take out the extra step of doing them from memory, it's not so important right now. What might also work best is to wrap the texture around a sphere, bearing in mind the way the material would reflect light, and how the surface of the sphere would appear (is it a rough surface, are there bits that stick up here and there? Is it almost perfectly smooth?).
    From what I've tried I would say worry about emulating the texture as you see it in the photo reference, or real life reference, or whatever the case may be, but don't worry about the likeness to the object itself. What you're doing is taking the texture and properties of the object and applying them to a sphere. For instance a tree stump could be broken into two spheres, one for the bark, and one for the top piece with the exposed wood, or you could even make a sphere of the bark with little stumps protruding from it, it's not really important. What is important is trying to recreate the surface as best you can.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Nic wrote: »
    I would say take out the extra step of doing them from memory, it's not so important right now. What might also work best is to wrap the texture around a sphere, bearing in mind the way the material would reflect light, and how the surface of the sphere would appear (is it a rough surface, are there bits that stick up here and there? Is it almost perfectly smooth?).
    From what I've tried I would say worry about emulating the texture as you see it in the photo reference, or real life reference, or whatever the case may be, but don't worry about the likeness to the object itself. What you're doing is taking the texture and properties of the object and applying them to a sphere. For instance a tree stump could be broken into two spheres, one for the bark, and one for the top piece with the exposed wood, or you could even make a sphere of the bark with little stumps protruding from it, it's not really important. What is important is trying to recreate the surface as best you can.

Look at Iruka's balls.

Seriously, she's pretty much did this same exercise in her thread.

• NicNic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's also a ctrl-paint video about it.

Edit:

I went ahead and dug up Iruka's take on the exercise because I hadn't seen it myself.

Here's the Ctrl+paint video of it as well.

Nic on
    I also have a flamingo!!
    Anyway.these are sketches and a color sketch. I'm working on fun pieces that originate with puns or phrases. I'm going to to have monkeys in suits called "monkey business", another that is a ball of bird parts called "fowl ball" etc.... I'm going to combine all these in one big piece called "Party Fowl". Thinking of having an Owl perched on a keg.

partyfowlsketch1.jpg
    partyfowlsketch2.jpg
    partyfowlsketch3.jpg
    partyfowl1.jpg

• Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    You have that special blend of adorable and horrid. That frog's grin haunts me. Which is to say, well done!

VOX- thats actually the exact feeling i want to convey!! yay!

what game? Just some sketches.
    alteredbeast.jpg

Trying to do this out of my head. These eyelids are killing me. Any suggestions?
    eyes.jpg

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    These eyelids are killing me. Any suggestions?

http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/

Sweet thanks man!

Progress
    mars2.jpg
    MARSfinalupdate.jpg
    MARSfinalROUGH4.jpg

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I am really digging all of your stuff Zerg, plus I am a sucker for the Mucha-esque design stuff. I really like your page of gestures, that is something I need to get down too myself.

Painting im making for a friend as a thank you for watching my son.
    She's a fan of those melted crayon/silhouette things, so i'm going to do this and melt only blues and purples on them.
    paintingA_zpsa1b38aa6.jpg

sb7.jpg
    sb6.jpg
    sb5.jpg
    sb4.jpg
    sb2-1.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    SB1.jpg

doodle2.jpg
    creepy-1.jpg
    inky.jpg
    GenieInTheBottlePRINT.jpg
    buddiesPRINT.jpg
    tikki-2.jpg

pumpkinPRINT.jpg

inkcollage1PRINT.jpg
    skull.jpg
    jan9.jpg
    cake0.jpg
    cake3.jpg

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Ah, Awesome stuff as usual! I particularly like the top of the last post, large frame of doodles, love that kind of mash-up drawing madness in a frame!

Thanks brokecracker. Those are really fun to do. My friend told me like 2 years ago how i never draw guns. So i did this one just for practice, and it became one of those types of images.
    inkSTANDOFF.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your stuff looks awesome when you take your time and keep it clean. I really like this guy: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/rabidwombat/pumpkinPRINT.jpg

I think you should maybe let up on the hatching, or at least look into some new methods of doing it. It flattens out some things, and Makes some works more busy than they need to be. Your line weight is also a little too "Thick outline all around, thin lines inside" Practicing a little more thicker line indicates more volume style inking would help balance out some of your images.

Iruka. Couldn't agree more. I've bought a few books on the subject, but I don't feel like I'm getting a good understanding of it yet. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

It's supposed to be thicker lines denote closer. Yes?
    I messed with a brush pen, but it was not pretty.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hussie explains it pretty well: http://smokinghippo.com/TSOtutes/inking_tutorial.html

The short answer is there's no set rule. I tend to like inking where the weights denote more volume in one place over another, like a heavy curve on a drop of thick glue and a thin line for a sheet of paper, but that is not really the extent of it either. You'll have to find inkers you like and see where they vary things and come to your own conclusions as to why.

I'm a big fan of the inking in Chew and Invincible comics. I tend to not use lots of solid blacks...and i reeeaaalllyyy need to. Lol.

Finished this!

Hmmm not posting from my phone... Update when I get home.

here it is!

williams.jpg

Paintover of a carved pumpkin
    pumpkinoverpaint.jpg

image comp for a water color.

benedict.jpg

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    The creayon painting is outstanding. How did you come up with that?

My wife!
    There's a bunch you can find. Google "Crayon drip art"
    Thats my niece and nephew. I made it for their moms birthday.

OK....all i was told was my brother wanted a logo for his brother-in-law for "digital fenix" I know its Fenix, not Pheonix, annnnd..... thats it. I was playing with some ideas, are these hitting with anyone? Suggestions?
    logos_zps5ba0f876.jpg

edited January 2013
    Here's how the benedict watercolor turned out
    benedictwatercolor_zps6ddf79ca.jpg

NakedZergling on
    eastwoody_zpsaabd1108.jpg

logo concept for my brother's running club. The club name is "Running on empty"
    runlogo_zpsedbdfdf6.jpg

Trying to bang out a few quick landscapes...because i NEVER DO THEM!! lol.
    landscape1-1_zps6bd73ae1.jpg