As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a graphics card & processor (edited edition)

MentisMentis Registered User regular
So with my tax return coming soon, I've decided I need a new graphics card to do some pew-pewing with. I mostly play WoW and L4D, which doesn't take much. But I do own all the Crysis games, Company of Heroes, I'd like to pick up Fallout 3 and definitely Dawn of War 2. I'm worried, though, about spending so much on a graphics card that's just gonna be overkill because my current system will bottleneck me. I'd like to spend ~$250, but that's flexible if there's an upgrade near that price-range that would be stupid not to get. Looking for PCI-E, obviuosly :). Also, I'm currently using an old 19" LCD, but I do frequently hook my 42" LCD tv up my PC for leet gaming, so a card capable of running said games at appropriate resolutions would be great.

Specs:
Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz
mobo - Asus P5nSLI Nforce SLI edition or some crap
3 gigs of ram
GeForce 7300gt (ugh)

If you need any more info, I can oblige. Thank you for your help, I'm not really up to speed with current hardware trends.

Also now I'd like some info on a good processor that's compatible with my current mobo. I'm looking for processors that will fit this intell socket 775 mobo. Also, I've never changed or installed a processor, so some tips on that would be great. I'm not a complete moron or anything, that's just the 1 component on a computer I've never had to touch.
Is this a good deal/investment? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036
Also, do the stock heatsinks tend to be POS', should I grab one while I'm placing an order? Thanks again guys :)

Minecraft & XBL name: TheCJX
Steam: Ashengor
Mentis on

• monkeypoxmonkeypox Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Specs:
    Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz
    mobo - Asus P5nSLI Nforce SLI edition or some crap
    3 gigs of ram
    GeForce 7300gt (ugh)

I don't think there's any need for you to spend $250 on a video card. prices have dropped dramatically in the past year or so, and the amount of power you can get for the cash is pretty crazy.

I'd say you have two options:

1: go for a radeon 4850 (~$130AR) now and save the extra cash to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM later.
    2: get a slightly slower (but still more than adequate) radeon 4670 (~$80AR) and try to upgrade what you can now.

your pc will only be as good as your weakest link, and right now it's that pentium-d. a radeon 4870 would be overkill if you're only gaming at a max of 1280 x 1024 on your monitor (assuming your lcd tv is 1280 x 720 or thereabouts).

monkeypox on