As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me choose a (compact) digital camera!

Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
Some discounts I have available to me would be well served in acquiring a digital camera, but I could use some help picking one out. Specifically I'm looking for something small enough to slip into a pocket. I'm very willing to sacrifice some picture quality as this is more of a "post pics of events with folks that are going to wind up on facebook or blogs" and plan to get a digital SLR down the line for more serious photography. For now I'm more concerned with being able to take pictures of things within 10 feet of me that I can carry around without weighing myself down when combined with all the other crap I usually have on me. That said, I'm open to any suggestions.

Big Dookie wrote: »
I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
Steel Angel on

• Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wife bought me a Kodak C913 for xmas (she also has one), Takes pretty good pics and these days they're only about $89 at Walmart. 9.1MP, 3x optical/15x digital Zoom. I have a 2GB SD card in it, so at 9MP I can take well over 1100 pics or shoot 40min of video at 640x480.

logic7 on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cannons are excellent point and shoots for their price. There is even custom firmware available which really opens them up to do some amazing things.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Budget?

A Canon G9 or G10 are phenomenal little cameras that might be pocketable, but are definitely expensive. It does everything and shoots RAW and is, essentially, the perfect compact for a photographer. However, if you're on a tighter budget, go to the camera store and have someone fetch you the Canon SD[number] that most closely matches how much you want to spend.

You'd be quite silly to buy anything but a Canon point and shoot unless you find something else massively marked down. And for the love of all things holy, don't buy a Kodak.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here is an article on the custom firmware for Canons.
    http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-your-point+and+shoot-into-a-super+camera
    You can shoot in RAW, time lapse, motion activated, build an HDR photo, etc.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Basically it is a question of "which Canon do I want to buy with the money I am willing to spend." The IXUS line of cameras is pretty much the industry standard for little point and shoots.

X3x3non on