As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Roborally PbP (Turn 11: Victory for Darian?)

PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
What is Roborally

Roborally is a board game by famed board designer Richard Garfield (original designer of Magic: The Gathering).

According to roborally.com
RoboRally is a robot race game in which each player attempts to be the first to touch a series of flags by maneuvering a robot across a dynamic race course. The game is for two to eight players playing independently or on teams. Frequently, the race will mutate into multi-player skirmishes as those players who are behind use their weaponry in an attempt to slow the opposition. The simultaneous movement rules encourage clever strategies and counterstrategies as players try to second-guess their opponents.

The goal of the game is to touch a sequence of flags in order. Each turn every player is dealt a hand of cards. They have to choose 5 of these cards to make a "program", a sequence of moves and rotations. Everyone's "program" is run at the same time, so your robot can get shoved by other players to somewhere really unexpected (like off a cliff).

The rules can be found here.

Board elements
belts-slow.png: Slow conveyor. After each register phase, it moves any robot on the conveyor one space in the direction the arrow is pointing.
gear-ccw.png: Counter-clockwise gear. After each register phase, it rotates the robot on the gear counter clockwise 90 degrees.
gear-cw.png: Clockwise gear. After each register phase, it rotates the robot on the gear clockwise 90 degrees.
pit.png: Pit. Robots can't land on or pass over pits. If they try, they die: Lose a life and go back to the most recent flag/repair shop they touched.
wall.png: Wall. Robots can't pass through or shoot through these.
wrench-single.png: Single wrench. If you land on one of these at the end of a register phase, your archive marker is updated so you will return here if you die. If your robot is on one of these at the end of the turn (not register phase), you are repaired 1 damage.
wrench-double.png: Double wrench. Like a single wrench, but also gives you an option card if you land here at the end of a turn.
flag.png: Flag. Counts as a single wrench. You have to touch these in order to win the game. (You're not penalized for touching the flags out of order. Then it functions just like a single wrench).

Notes for Play by Post game
  1. Each turn is divided into 5 register phases. I will be posting the board after each register phase is complete, so keep this in mind if you're on a very slow connection.
  2. Each turn I will PM each player their hand for the turn. They should PM back the cards they will be using in order, with the card number, and whether or not you're powering down. If you're using any option cards, this should also be included
  3. Some option cards in the board game require choices at each register phase. I'm planning on removing these cards, or rewording them to require a choice at the beginning of the turn instead. As a result there will be hardly any weapon option cards.

I will be accepting up to 8 players. The board we will be playing is:
RoboRallyBoard.jpg

Players:
1. Scrivenerjones
2. Anarchy
3. delroland
4. Valkun
5. Darian
6. Hellbunny

Papillon on

• Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have this game, and it completely owns. signing up!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Played this game a few times. The online java version is also pretty good. Are there going to be replacements for the option cards you're thinking of removing?

Either way, I'm definatly signing up!

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm up for this. !Eat lazer death, cogfaces!

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The option cards Fourth Gear, Brakes and Reverse Gear are all of the form "Whenever you execute a ______, you may move your robot ______ instead." My plan is to require sending in whether you are planning to use the option when you submit your move, instead of having the choice when the move is being run. This makes these cards worse, but I don't think it makes them worse than Superior Archive, for example.
    When reentering play after being destroyed, your robot doesn't receive the normal 2 Damage tokens.

I am thinking of removing the Scrambler, Tractor Beam, Radio Control, Pressor Beam, Abort Switch and Conditional Program since they potentially require input from the player holding those options after each register phase.

I'm thinking of keeping Mini Howitzer, but changing its text to "Whenever you could fire your main laser at a robot, you fire the Mini Howitzer instead...." removing the "may", since the Mini Howitzer still does damage. It would still only be useable five times however. Also, I'm thinking of keeping Fire Control, but making the player choose whether to deal damage or use Fire Control at the end of the turn, instead of in each register phase. This makes an already good card somewhat better though...

Papillon on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Roborunner might be an easier way to run this than play by post.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Roborunner might be an easier way to run this than play by post.

I think that he is running this PbP because of the difficulty in getting everyone online at the same time. Plus PbP is easier to post for the observers.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Exactly. Plus PbP should work better for RoboRally than many other board games since moves are simultaneous, so there's less waiting around for other people to make their moves.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was hoping to get a few more people, but I'll still run it for just 3. How about starting Monday evening?

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thats fine with me, looking forward to it.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm good with Monday. Besides, each game won't last too long, so we could pretty much incorporate new players as they come.

delroland on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, I guess if you're hurting for players I can go ahead and join up despite never having played before. :lol: I'll go ahead and give the rules a read through.

Valkun on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can I get in on this, even though I've never played? Roborally is one I've had my eye on for a while.

Also... avatar battle D:

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, all the robots are identical?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In abilities, yes. In looks, no.

I call dibs on the wheelbarrow. :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Since it doesn't list them in the manual.

metool.gif

Metool, I choose you!

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's fine if you've never played before. I don't think it should be too difficult to learn, and if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

I don't have any robot tokens prepared -- I was planning to use a solid colour like. Robot.jpg If you want some other picture, you can post it here and I will try to use it -- it has to be 32x32, and it has to be obvious exactly which direction is "forward" though.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    !Sign up then, and can I have green?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    metoolrq6.png

Sorry it's so basic, just whipped it up real quick.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dig-Dug-Digging-icon.gif

How's that?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Dig-Dug-Digging-icon.gif

How's that?

Either very ironic or a total failure to transmit your icon to us.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    :lol:

I'll get the pic at home and host it someplace else, though I am halfway tempted to use it as is. (Although it is too big... :P)

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    :lol:

I'll get the pic at home and host it someplace else, though I am halfway tempted to use it as is. (Although it is too big... :P)

digdugdiggingiconhz3.gif

Don't ask and receive.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair

1233021774.png

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How's this?

lilRobo.gif

edit: Or if you need an arrow:lilRoboArrow.gif

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hellbunny has been trying to get me to play this; I sent her a link to see if she wants to join us here. Hopefully she'll have time to check in before classes today.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How about this:

Robot.gif

Anarchy on
  • Options
    HellbunnyHellbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    !Signup I suppose... Whatever color is still available? And thanks, Darian. :)
    Still can't believe you changed your avatar from the cylon you had me make... >_>

EDIT: Yeah, if we're breaking down to colors and blue is available... I can has blue? Otherwise, I'm cool with whatever you've got.

Hellbunny on
    Zombie-a-Day! I'm open for suggestions!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hellbunny wrote: »
    !Signup I suppose... Whatever color is still available? And thanks, Darian. :)
    Still can't believe you changed your avatar from the cylon you had me make... >_>
    I'll put it back after the current game ends/if I become a Cylon, whichever comes first.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So that spot in the center will repair you and give you option cards? The conveyers move you in the direction of the arrow and the gears turn you 90 degrees? It doesn't show it in the map, but they turn so that you're facing towards the next conveyer belt right?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Valkun wrote: »
    So that spot in the center will repair you and give you option cards?
    Correct
    The conveyers move you in the direction of the arrow and the gears turn you 90 degrees? It doesn't show it in the map, but they turn so that you're facing towards the next conveyer belt right?
    If you are facing in the direction of the arrow on the conveyor belt, you will be facing towards the next conveyor belt after getting shoved onto one of the gears. If your robot isn't facing along the belt, you'll of course be facing a different direction.

Another thing to note is that if you are on one of the two conveyor belts coming out of the centre, you will be rotated 90 degrees when the conveyor belt moves you onto the inner ccw belt.

This evening I'll put a link to a bigger version of the picture -- hopefully it will be easier to see there.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Here's the promised link to a larger image of the board.

Hellbunny, for the moment I've given you a solid blue "robot": HellbunnyBot.jpg. If you post a different picture, I can use that instead if you want.

The starting positions are:
    RoboRallyBoardSmallTurn1-1.png

Damage done:
    No damage yet.

metoolrq6.pngValkun -- 9/9 HP, 3/3 Life
    digdugdiggingiconhz3.gifdelroland -- 9/9, HP 3/3 Life
    lilRoboArrow.gifDarian -- 9/9 HP, 3/3 Life
    Robot.gifAnarchy -- 9/9 HP, 3/3 Life
    HellbunnyBot.jpgHellbunny -- 9/9 HP, 3/3 Life
    1233021774.pngScrivenerjones -- 9/9 HP, 3/3 Life

I will be sending out people's initial hands shortly.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah, I guess it still isn't clear. Are those things at the corners walls or pits?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Walls seem to be the yellow lines along the edge of the squares.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    the "L" shaped things surrounded by hazard tape are bottomless pits, yes. as are the sides of the board (unless there's a yellow wall there).

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Orders submitted.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Program Compiled.
    No Errors Detected.
    Running KillAllOpposition.exe.

*Beep Boop*

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So are you supposed to be a top-view Pac-Man, or Rover from The Prisoner?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A (brief) list of board elements

belts-slow.png: Slow conveyor. After each register phase, it moves any robot on the conveyor one space in the direction the arrow is pointing.
    gear-ccw.png: Counter-clockwise gear. After each register phase, it rotates the robot on the gear counter clockwise 90 degrees.
    gear-cw.png: Clockwise gear. After each register phase, it rotates the robot on the gear clockwise 90 degrees.
    pit.png: Pit. Robots can't land on or pass over pits. If they try, they die: Lose a life and go back to the most recent flag/repair shop they touched.
    wall.png: Wall. Robots can't pass through or shoot through these.
    wrench-single.png: Single wrench. If you land on one of these at the end of a register phase, your archive marker is updated so you will return here if you die. If your robot is on one of these at the end of the turn (not register phase), you are repaired 1 damage.
    wrench-double.png: Double wrench. Like a single wrench, but also gives you an option card if you land here at the end of a turn.
    flag.png: Flag. Counts as a single wrench. You have to touch these in order to win the game. (You're not penalized for touching the flags out of order. Then it functions just like a single wrench).

Edit: also added to OP.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So are you supposed to be a top-view Pac-Man, or Rover from The Prisoner?

a45dd6fb318b5d5c

Metool! Anywhere Megaman goes, these guys are sure to be there first.

So you have to be on the double wrenches after the turn ends, not at the end of a phase? Interesting, seems upgrading will be harder than I thought.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Let me see if I am understanding correctly: the only source of option cards is at the center of the board in the midst of many conveyor belts and bottomless pits.

D:

Anyway, orders submitted.

Darian on