As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Product Placement in TV shows

124»

• Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Wow... on to the fifth page now and no mention of the OG of video game product placement. Yes, even older and even more of a tie-in than anything in The Wizard... Cloak and Dagger. It's predated by both Tron and (just barely) The Last Starfighter, but unlike either, is concerned with a real game (Tron games were based on the movie, not vice versa) that was developed by Atari.

And to top it all off, it is the originator of the "you have to beat the game to unlock the secret files" crap.

It's not just simple product placement, either: Part of the movie's plot was that the secrets were hidden on a video game cartridge. The producers and the developers of a game called Agent X at Atari heard about each other's projects and met to discuss product placement of a game. A killer deal was struck: The game was renamed after the movie (Cloak and Dagger), a character in the movie was named after the original name of the game (Agent X), the movie includes real-life elements that vaguely parallel the game, and gameplay footage is featured in the film.

And strangely enough... the game was never released for an Atari home console, even though it is only shown in the film as a home game. It was released in the arcades a year prior to the film, and all of the game footage in the film is actually the arcade machine output sent to a TV.

Here's one of those fascinating little snippets of ancient development history relating to C&D - http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/02_06.html

EDIT: Just realized that the thread title is "...in TV shows," but I have already seen mention of other movies, and this bit of history should be known by all.

Post #108 friend.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Robin Williams' One Hour Photo had a fairly obvious cameo in it.

In any case, it featured the son of the family he was stalking playing Dead or Alive: Hardcore on the PS2. Kind of odd, given the kid was....seven or something, at most. I'm fairly certain DOA3 on the original Xbox had already come out.

I recall he was playing as Lei-Fang, in the ice cavern level (it's been a while since DOA2, the name escapes me).

Also, when they're in the store getting their photos, the boy is seen holding an Evangelion toy.

I recall that as well--though they pronounce it 'evangelical', rather than the hard G as it was originally.

(I'm not a purist or anything, I just thing 'Evanjelion' sounds hilariously comical.)

Robin Williams is, admittedly, quite a big gamer and apparently a huge fan of Evangelion (the action figure belonged to him) an other series, so it's not too surprising.
    As I remember it, he's a big Half Life fan and approached Valve to voice in HL2. Apparently they had schedule issues or something and it didn't happen.

Monger on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gordon Freeman would be a million times better if the silence finally broke in Half-Life 3 and we heard Robin Williams.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Robin Williams is a hard-core gamer and was on Whose Line... seems like such a cool guy.
    I would've been a huge fan of his if he were actually funny and not as annoying as he is.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And he says "LET'S BLOW THIS POPSICLE STAND, ALYX!" and he turns blue and sprouts a jetpack and they fly off into the sunset while the musical number with the rest of the cast starts up to play over the credits.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Piggo wrote: »
    An excuse to post Spaced. Thanks thread. (Embedding is disabled, but click again to go to the page and watch it.)

Resident Evil 2

And it also allows me to post a link to one of the best moments of comedy. Ever.

Slow Motion 'Gun' Fight

Don't forget the Tekken footage from the first season.

"Daisy Stiener wins! "AH HA HA HA HA HA!"

Spaced is SO GOOD.

Seriously, everybody needs to own it.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    And he says "LET'S BLOW THIS POPSICLE STAND, ALYX!" and he turns blue and sprouts a jetpack and they fly off into the sunset while the musical number with the rest of the cast starts up to play over the credits.

this makes a happy picture in my head. Also, headcrab Iago.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

this makes a happy picture in my head. Also, headcrab Iago.

Hey! Clear the way to the Citadel
    Hey you! Let him through, 'cause he's been through hell
    Oh come be the first on the block to meet his eye!

Yes he comes from afar
    Got a red crowbar
    Are you gonna love this guy!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the (terrible) movie The Island, Ewan McGregor and Scarlet Johanson are seen playing some kind of VR/motion tracking/whatever game, and on the background there is a HUGE OXbox logo, wich is dumb since the movie takes place in the future, it is also impressive how the Microsoft marketing machine somehow survived the (supposed) destruction of the human race.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember Roseanne (the show) mentioning the Super NES a lot.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Technically he shouldn't have been able to give Stan the Sword of a Thousand Somethings either - he was wielding it, it would have soulbound to him.

Unless that's one of its powers.

I thought that was an item they added to the game after the ep, due to popular demand?
    I remember Roseanne (the show) mentioning the Super NES a lot.

I remember the ep where they got the son one for Christmas, but were giving him the run-around about actually having it. He storms off, going to a friend's house because "at least he has GENESIS!!"

And Roseanne gets addicted... something in Mario about a sword to make her Queen of the Monkeys?

I dunno, it's been many years.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the better portrayals: The 40-Year Old Virgin.

Sadly, I can't find a clip, but at least there's this quote:
    David: [David loses second match] Goddamnit!
    Cal: I'm ripping your head off right now. It's off, and *now* I'm throwing it at your body.
    [shouts]
    Cal: Fuck you!
    David: Aww.

And of course, we can't forget this...

bladerunner.jpg

pvp20081208.gif

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I never thought about that.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    The Big Bang Theory (A guilty pleasure ..... ) has had lots of videogames featured, alot of the time it's really accurate, although they tend to make stuff up for comedy purposes.

they do tend to stick somewhat close to whatever game they're playing. names and stuff will be off but it's obvious when it's warcraft or halo... they always throw in one thing that's exactly specific which may seem like not much but it makes me happy.

I came in here to mention it. It's not a great show by any means but every so often it's funny and it's geeky enough. plus, Roseanne people from time to time.

I've been watching that lately thanks to my fiancee, and this season they did an entire episode that revolved around the Conan MMO. The geeks get the hot girl next door into the game, she's a clueless newbie for a while, then she gets totally obsessed. Interesting thing is that they're throwing around terminology/tips/etc. from the game that seems 100% accurate.

Then again, the fact that anyone would be obsessed with the Conan MMO, which is in the process of cutting 2/3rds of their servers since the game didn't sell well, is a bit of a stretch.

Speaking of stretching, if you're looking for video game parodies, give The Simpsons Game a spin. I know I know, the game itself is a bit meh (it's actually better than your average licensed game, though), but it's absolutely packed with hilarious video game references. Mario, Sonic and other characters are slaves in a video game factory and mutter to themselves ("That shadow version of me? Nice guy, just misunderstood.") You see Santa's Little Helper done up like Okami, carrying the key from Kingdom Hearts in his mouth. Mega Moleman. Apu's Sitar Hero. Milhouse done up like the King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy. And you get to fight fucking Will Wright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51SdzzGn7Pw&feature=related

Well worth a rent just for teh funnies.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't have time to read the entire thread, but:

House season 1/2: Dr. House would play his DS while waiting on patients. It looked like he was playing Metroid Prime: Hunters on it. (Obviously not playing it because Samus was rolling around in the ball and all he was doing was looking down at it).

House Season 3+: He'll be playing ATV offroad for the PSP at time.

King of Queens: Doug is almost always playing a Playstation 2. But the show is funded by Sony so that makes sense.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When Jim from the Office moves to a new branch, he finds that the people there are obsessed with Call of Duty. And that he sucks at it.

CALL OF DUTY!!!

This is honestly the main impetus behind why my wife will occasionally play CoD4 with me.

EDIT: It was apparently already posted, but the Office deserves to be on every page.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    An excuse to post Spaced.
    Spaced is SO GOOD.

It saddens me that channel 4, like Hulu, is region based and I cannot watch it. :(

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    An excuse to post Spaced.
    Spaced is SO GOOD.

It saddens me that channel 4, like Hulu, is region based and I cannot watch it. :(

I guess you should spend some money then.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Personally, I'm impressed with Hollywood's ability to both acknowledge that playing games is a very common event these days but still be so out of touch as to almost universally do it wrong (overacting, wrong sound effects, etc). It takes some real effort to be so ignorant.

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Hollywood folks do it deliberately because they know video games are threatening their market. But that would be giving their intelligence far too much credit. Realistically, somebody up top probably orders that a show have games in it, nobody does their research before putting it in, and it ends up looking stupid.

And I really doubt a dev is going to demand money to let somebody show their game for a few seconds on a show or movie. What kind of stupid company says no to free publicity?

Swingers almost got it right with the whole complaining about fighting being taken out of NHL '94, except they said you could still make guys' heads bleed, which was also taken out. Plus, they were actually playing NHLPA '93, which had both fighting and head blood.

But it was a very gamer-y conversation on something that fans of the game were actually talking about when it happened. Even the whole "Jeremy Roenick = unstoppable" thing was spot on. He was on a Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl-level.

BubbaT on