As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 09 Forum member badge holders

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    he.. he rubbed his dick all over the badges, didn't he?

I was thinking something along those lines too...
    I think he laced the badges with drugs or a obscure disease.

And yeah, you bum! Stop teasing!
    Indivisible eh? Well now you're just being contradictory.... you said only certain paxers would get it...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    he.. he rubbed his dick all over the badges, didn't he?

I was thinking something along those lines too...
    I think he laced the badges with drugs or a obscure disease.

And yeah, you bum! Stop teasing!
    Indivisible eh? Well now you're just being contradictory.... you said only certain paxers would get it...

These badges go to people who are in these forums, that is a certain select group of PAXers. I really am not being 'contradictory' here.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Just a quick update on the distribution of the Forum Badges. All forward distribution has so far gone to plan, with CST, CCST, WCTT and Pre-PAX dinner getting their pre-defined allocation of badges. This is thanks to the UK's Royal Mail and the US Postal Service or the Canada Post Coporation actually working together. I never thought I'd see the day!

Anyway, there is one slight hiccup in that the number of badges ordered by WCTT was significally lower than the number of people who will be on the train! To overcome this I've ordered more badges to be sent across to the WCTT distributor at the end of this week. It'll be cutting it a bit fine, but I'm sure he'll get them on time.

Finally the lion share of badges will be flying over with me and delivered to BigRed on Thursday 3rd September. He will then hold them for collection at the BYOC desk. Current estimates place him having around 250 badges to distribute, barring any excess from the other distributors.

Thanks for everyone's help on this, it's been fun organising it :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeay! I can't wait to get one of these, It'll make me feel so proud. XD

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just another thing I can't wait for. This will be the best PAX by far.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    FellinaFellina Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    The BYOC registration desk is the place for you! You just walk up to BigRed and say 'Would you be so kind good sir, to furnish me with a PAX Forum Badge?' He should then oblige with said item.

nublet question: how does one identify a BigRed? I assume he will be... well... big and red. So I'm imagining either an enormous ginger-haired Irishman or the human version of Clifford. >.>

Fellina on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bigred is indeed a ginger of considerably large stature. when you see him . . . you will know it is him.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Big and red is really all the description you need. Maybe throw geek in there to round it out. Like TC said you'll know him when you see him.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of BigRed, he and I are trying to figure out the fairest way of handing out the badges. Thus far we've come up with writing a list of PAX forum posters. If you're on that list, you get a badge. The trouble with that is how on earth do I collect all the names on the forums?

The second idea we had was for people to have to log onto the forums before getting a badge. This is a little tricky and would slow things down somewhat, especially for those that are actually registering for BYOC and not just for the badge.

Do any of you have some ideas on how to overcome this problem? Just to be clear, these badges are for PAX forum members only so we must make sure they are given to the right people and not willy-nilly.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Archer006Archer006 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What about a sheet with users who are on the badge and who post? Have Big Red have the sheet with him and we sign next to our names. IDK if you would want to use internet handles or our real names though and how Big Red would really tell if someone is who they are saying they are....

Archer006 on
    Who Dares, Wins"

52222_5.png
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    just pm a code word to everyone. Use the words from a random instruction manual page on a game. Say the word for that person, get the badge.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    just pm a code word to everyone. Use the words from a random instruction manual page on a game. Say the word for that person, get the badge.

Yes, that doesn't sound complicated at all!

People may also be wary of logging into the forums on a public PC.

You could ask a trivia question; perhaps have a list of questions and people can answer any one of them to verify forum memberness.

"What color text is generally used on the forums to emphasize truth in quoting a previous person's post?"

"Name three subforums of the PA Forums (Critical Failures, Debate & Discourse, Games & Technology, etc)

"Name one moderator of the PA Forums"

"Do Gabe and Tycho read the PA Forums?"

Things like that. I would think that any even casual visitor to the forums would be able to answer at least one of those.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oooh I like the trivia question one. Something only PAX Forum members would know. The PM idea is not a good one however, as I've printed 600 of the blasted things and I'm not about to PM 600 people! Like I said, in order to qualify for a badge you need to post in the PAX section of the PA forums. We just need to figure out how to filter those.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, i was paranoid about missing out on one of these awesome pieces of goodness. Damn, that's a tricky one. I was preparing to PM BigRed specifically regarding this issue, to ask him to hold one back for me, just in case, but probably he's already inundated with such requests anyway.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could also use the "post a picture of yourself" thread and ID the people. The trivia way might be faster, though.

One trivia question I can think of is "Name a community-organized PAX event." Answer: CCST, WCTT, CST, PrePax dinner, PostPax dinner, etc.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • Options
    hugemarginoferrhugemarginoferr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    damn.... I really want a badge now... Im afraid i missed the boat 2 months too late.

hugemarginoferr on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OK, we're going to go with trivia. If you can answer ONE of the following questions, you get a badge. Sound fair? Here goes:

1) Name THREE unofficial PAX community events:

Answer - WCTT/CCST/CST/Pre PAX Dinner/Post PAX Dinner/Assasins/Cookie Brigade/PAX Prank/PAX World Record Attempt/Post PAX Tweetup/Triwizard Drinking Tournament/PAX Buttoneers/Magical Mystery Tour

2) Who made the Forum Badges?

Kropotkin

3) Do Gabe and Tycho read the forums?

No

4) Name a forum admin

Moe Fwacky

5) What does the PAX World Record Attempt entail?

Playing DS/DSLite/DSi at the same time in a contained space.

6) What colour scheme are the forums in?

Blue with white text.

I really can't think of any more. Please add some and we'll build up a nice list of simple questions for people.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Remove #5

Since thats going to be in the PAX program anyway... :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Question, the trivia is just for people who's names are not on the badges, yes?

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm already getting a badge, but since I came up with the trivia idea, do I win a prize anyway? =)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Question, the trivia is just for people who's names are not on the badges, yes?

No, it's to get one in the first place. It doesn't matter if your name is on the back of it. We're just trying to make sure non-forum members don't get a badge. It's useless to them after all. The whole purpose is to spot other PAX forum members at the expo. If a non-forum member has it, they have no use for it as they don't have a name to scribble on it.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bigred is indeed a ginger of considerably large stature. when you see him . . . you will know it is him.

Also he wears a cape.

I assume he still wears a cape. o_O

redhalo on
  • Options
    Big GuyBig Guy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    "What color text is generally used on the forums to emphasize truth in quoting a previous person's post?"

I second this question!
    It's maroon right? :mrgreen:

Big Guy on
    Survivor of PAX '06 (BALL!), PAX '07 (Don't be a Dick), PAX '08 (Bad Horse), PAX '09 (H1Nerd1), PAX '10
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    redhalo wrote: »

Also he wears a cape.

Maybe he wears the cape when he isn't drinking? Since there is either cape or booze with Red anytime I see him. :)

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think the badge thing for forums is neat and hoping to snag one. will sneak by byoc at some point prolly

Solelron on
  • Options
    draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wow. this is getting a little complicated. I agree however that i really only want to see a forum member get one. I'll be getting mine at the BYOC area so I guess i better remember the answers to the simple questions. I never was good at tests :) seeing as my forum name is on the badge a fact that I absolutely love and bragged about to my wife who didn't seem overly impressed lol I *REALLY* want one. sides it looks frikkin awesome.

just saying

draklan on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    :whistle: gabe reads the new comic threads rarely and once maybe twice a year posts in said new comic thread :whistle:

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    :whistle: gabe reads the new comic threads rarely and once maybe twice a year posts in said new comic thread :whistle:

What if I qualify the question by saying 'Do Gabe and Tycho read the PAX Forums?' A slight difference but an important one.

I'm still developing the questions and I will make them as simple as possible without making them so generic to the point that anyone could answer them.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Is there a plan for the excess badges? I'm guessing most everyone will have their badge by friday, so I was just wondering if you'll do something like whatever badges are left on Saturday can be given away to anyone.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • Options
    cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can showing your button trading goods be an auto-win for the questions?

I don't go on normal PA forums, I browse only PAX forums every now and then, so I might not know the answer to "What color is the italicized text in a reply post on the eve of a new moon when a fallen unicorn has just gasped its last breath?" I guess I'm not really worried about being refused a badge, but this is starting to sound a bit frightning...

cafeganesha on
    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I don't go on normal PA forums, I browse only PAX forums every now and then, so I might not know the answer to "What color is the italicized text in a reply post on the eve of a new moon when a fallen unicorn has just gasped its last breath?" I guess I'm not really worried about being refused a badge, but this is starting to sound a bit frightning...

It's Magenta, of course.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Rius wrote: »

It's Magenta, of course.

She did say a fallen unicorn that just gasped its last breath. Obviously the answer is black, for mourning.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fellina wrote: »
    kropotkin wrote: »
    The BYOC registration desk is the place for you! You just walk up to BigRed and say 'Would you be so kind good sir, to furnish me with a PAX Forum Badge?' He should then oblige with said item.

nublet question: how does one identify a BigRed? I assume he will be... well... big and red. So I'm imagining either an enormous ginger-haired Irishman or the human version of Clifford. >.>

Irishman? Irishman?!

Im scottish. How dare you insult me :P

But yeah, im 6'7 and have red hair... cant miss me

Plus the fact ill have an ENFORCER cape on... you *really* cant miss that one.
    Cronus wrote: »
    redhalo wrote: »

Also he wears a cape.

Maybe he wears the cape when he isn't drinking? Since there is either cape or booze with Red anytime I see him. :)

Oh I wear it while drinking sometimes :P depends if I deem an event epic enough to bring out the cape.

Ill have a *new* cape this year though.

BigRed on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed will you save one for me??? Or give an extra one to ash for me? I'm worried that they'll all be gone by the time I finally make it out of the Handheld Lounge at 3. D:

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    None will be saved (that wouldnt be fair :P), just excuse yourself for like 15min to run up and get one.

Also dont show up to start grabbing these until about NOON friday, from 8am-NOON im pretty busy with byoc stuff and wont have much time to fiddle with these badges. After that then ill be available to hand them out.

BigRed on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    Also dont show up to start grabbing these until about 10am friday, from 8am-10am im pretty busy with byoc stuff and wont have much time to fiddle with these badges.

Please be nice to the Man and don't think that he knows what you're there for. And I know there are a bajillion of us (you know what I mean) and 250 of them; but as Red said, wait for a bit. There is a whole bunch of stuff to go all "Ooo! Shiny" from 10AM to Noon instead of bombarding the Table.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    wait... 10am is opening.... oops (got confused cause BYOC gets in at 8 :P) Ill change that to noon, gives me 4h to get through the byoc rush.

DONT SHOW UP UNTIL NOON ON FRIDAY TO GET THESE :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    nikasaurnikasaur Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm more of a casual Forum-user but I'd love one of these badges, is there any restriction to how active one must be to snag one? I wouldn't want to keep someone from getting theirs, but I'd also like to participate and meet other posters.

PS- Who at the BYOC/PC Tournament center has that crazy chair with the woofers on it?

nikasaur on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well BigRed has now spoken regarding the distribution of the badges (plus the special surprise thing that comes with them) from the BYOC desk. You can only pick them up from NOON on Friday. I will check in on him after then to make sure everything is fine with them. As for qualification to get one, you need only be a member of the PAX forums and be able to answer the question that BigRed will randomly select from a piece of laminated card I'll be giving to him on Thursday evening, along with the badges. It's a first come, first serve thing and a total of 600 badges have been produced. BigRed holds the majority with the Pre-PAX dinner coming in a very close second with 140 of the things.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This discussion has been closed.