As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 09 Forum member badge holders

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the map kinda stands out a bit too much on the front part, and all the avatars on the back seem vertically stretched a bit much, but other then that, not bad. I'm personally still kinda leaning toward the first design, but I'll wait until you perfect this one more.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the idea of putting community events on it, but I'm going to have to keep my vote for what you have now without the extra stuff.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like names better than avatars =P

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are these gonna he the same size they were last year? I like the names better as well. If you try the avatars, try just making a huge grid while keeping the normal aspect ratio.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like names better than avatars =P

Me too. In fact I think the avatars are semi-redundant with the buttoneering (I know not everybody uses their avatars for their buttons). It's also guaranteed that you can fit more legible names than you can avatars.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    OK I've been threatening version 3 for a while and here it is. The front is kind of conventional but gives kudos to the CCST and WCTT folks. Click on the spoiler button to take a gander:
    PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_v3.jpg

The biggest change is in the rear of the badge. Rather than using people's names I thought I'd try something a little more different but just as personal, may be more so....
    PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_back_v3.jpg

Bear in mind that this is a work in progress! What you see above is only a concept and the final version will not be so distorted. I'm just kicking the idea around 'tis all.

Let me know your thoughts on this one. This will be the final variation.

The front is pretty busy with all the maps and stuff. Can you lower the opacity on those to make the "proud member..." part stand out a little better?

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Front:

Is the PAX badge meant to be over the top half of the Forum Badge? If so, that works. Agree with the map being too noticable.

Back:

I like Names more than Avatars.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the version 1 back was classier: also, avatars change, names don't.

And I like how the bottom half of the version 3 front is arranged, with the name box and the "proud member...".

I also like the top bit of version three with paxtrain and ccst, but the map throws me off 'cause it's too much and too white. I can't really think of what would make it better.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    How about using the hybrid view instead of the map view?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    How about using the hybrid view instead of the map view?

I second this, thinking it will fit in much better. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    OK I'll do some tweaks along the lines above. Been busy with E3 related stuff to continue with it but now that's out of the way I can carry on working on the badge.

As for size I wish to make it smaller than last years but if people liked that size I can stick with it. Let me know on this please.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think you should use this one without the map and train/supertrip pics. Looks too cluttered with them there.
    PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_v3.jpg

As for the back I like either the avatars or the names,
    If you use the avatars you'd need to figure out how to keep the aspect ratios.
    The names might be easier on the eyes though if that's of any importance.
    All I know is I wanna be on the back with either name or avatar XD

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like the first design because my name is legible on it :)

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ya I kinda like the older designs without the extra pics on the top. Also, I kinda like the avatar idea, but avatars do change a lot.

Azazel on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to say, the first design is nearly perfect, just add the name section to it and it would be perfect.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    HotSake wrote: »
    I like the first design because my name is legible on it :)

LOL same here, I'm right next to you ^5

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Back from the verge of death this fine thread returns. I've been very busy of late with work and prepping for another expo the name of which shalt-never-be-uttered. But anyway I have not forgotten about the badge and am now in the process of getting some quotes from printers to get them made.

Before I do that I need some feedback on its form and indeed size. Last year the badge was quite large. In the region of about 5" x 3.5". It was laminated and stood out quite well. There was the problem that it couldn't be fixed to the lanyards due to the crockadile clip used by PAX, so people clipped it on to the lanyard of their PAX pass by using a badge they had gotten from the button exchange. From this I've decided on 2 versions:

1) Tough card, matt finish with section on the bottom for writing real name, forum name and Twitter name. The size will be the same as last years. Note that a paper clip will be provided with each badge. The advantage to this option is that it's large and easy to spot. The negative side is that it's not well protected due to lack of laminate.

2) 3" x 2" protrait format in a plastic sleeve, similar to the one the PAX badge is provided in only in portrait format as opposed to landscape. Printing on matt card with name section similar to option 1. The advantage is that no paper clip is required as it will clip into the same crockadile clip on the PAX lanyard. It will also be well protected in the sleeve. The negative point on this one is that it will be much smaller and harder to spot as a result.

Please advise which one to go for. I favour option 1 and I suspect others will also. Let me know either way on this thread.

Finally I've now decided on the criteria for getting ones name on the back of the badge. If you meet the following then I will do my very best to get your name on the badge:

1) You are a PAX forum overlo.....I mean admin
    2) You have participated in this thread.
    3) You are going on the CCST, WCTT & CST
    4) You are going to be on the UK PAX plane (BA0049 flying from Heathrow at 15:45 on 09/03/09. I know of over 10 UK attendees that are coming in on that flight!)
    5) You have played an game online with myself at some point. Doesn't matter which game or indeed system. Name it and I probably have it.

Collation of names will be completed on 30th June 2009 to give me enough time to get them printed and sent to the organisers of the super-trips as well as trusted distributors who reside in the US. I have some volunteers for this latter role but any additional ones would be most welcome. Just PM me with how you propose to distribute them and we'll sort something out.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    It's probably been said already, but you are truly full of awesome and win for doing this!

KaitouAyashi on
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Back from the verge of death this fine thread returns. I've been very busy of late with work and prepping for another expo the name of which shalt-never-be-uttered. But anyway I have not forgotten about the badge and am now in the process of getting some quotes from printers to get them made.

Before I do that I need some feedback on its form and indeed size. Last year the badge was quite large. In the region of about 5" x 3.5". It was laminated and stood out quite well. There was the problem that it couldn't be fixed to the lanyards due to the crockadile clip used by PAX, so people clipped it on to the lanyard of their PAX pass by using a badge they had gotten from the button exchange. From this I've decided on 2 versions:

1) Tough card, matt finish with section on the bottom for writing real name, forum name and Twitter name. The size will be the same as last years. Note that a paper clip will be provided with each badge. The advantage to this option is that it's large and easy to spot. The negative side is that it's not well protected due to lack of laminate.

2) 3" x 2" protrait format in a plastic sleeve, similar to the one the PAX badge is provided in only in portrait format as opposed to landscape. Printing on matt card with name section similar to option 1. The advantage is that no paper clip is required as it will clip into the same crockadile clip on the PAX lanyard. It will also be well protected in the sleeve. The negative point on this one is that it will be much smaller and harder to spot as a result.

Please advise which one to go for. I favour option 1 and I suspect others will also. Let me know either way on this thread.

Finally I've now decided on the criteria for getting ones name on the back of the badge. If you meet the following then I will do my very best to get your name on the badge:

4) You are going to be on the UK PAX plane (BA0049 flying from Heathrow at 15:45 on 09/03/09. I know of over 10 UK attendees that are coming in on that flight!)
    5) You have played an game online with myself at some point. Doesn't matter which game or indeed system. Name it and I probably have it.

Collation of names will be completed on 30th June 2009 to give me enough time to get them printed and sent to the organisers of the super-trips as well as trusted distributors who reside in the US. I have some volunteers for this latter role but any additional ones would be most welcome. Just PM me with how you propose to distribute them and we'll sort something out.

Man, if you'd talked about the PAX plane earlier I would have been all over it. :(

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Very nice, btw I don't know if you are willing to mail them out but I def would throw down a few bucks to have it send to me pre-PAX just to insure I get one since last year I missed out :(

MaoChan on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Sounds good to me. I personally like how it was bigger than the pax badge last year. How will being on a card with matte finish effect how it looks? Would it still look as crisp on that?

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want my name on there too!

Also, the stretched text for the URL kind of irritates me. Everybody knows the URL, there's a link to the forums on the PAX page. You could probably just drop it, or make it a smaller font so it isn't stretched.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like the size is to remain larger than the PAX badge so far unless we have any descenting voices on that. The matte finish is to allow people to write their names. If I gloss it up you can't write on it. It's a point of practicallity. We had matte ones for All Games Radio staff at PAX '08 and they were fine.

The stretched text is a bone of contention for many and I'm going to be posting a modified front very soon that gets shot of the stretched text. The URL will also feature still, just not so prominantly.

As for the UK PAX Plane, sorry about not warning people about that. I only just found out myself and that was after all the seats were booked on it! I have a plan to take pics of it before we take off from the lounge and possibly upload it onto Twitter or my blog. We'll see how it goes.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would personally prefer a smaller format, but that is mostly due to the fact that I'm a small person and the larger size would be awkwardly big on me.

CRCelf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OK I've now finished working on the 4th version of the badge. This is only the front, the back will remain with the mix of names as before so no fear on that. Click on the spoiler button to see it. As always, feedback will be appreciated.
    PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_v4.jpg

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the 4th version

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice! I like the clouds.

Can my name be on the badge even if I'm not on the CCST/WCTT/etc?? I'm the Magical Mystery Tour leader..... And I'm doing everything else! Except traveling to Seattle.. (which is sad, because traveling is my favorite thing!)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Love it! Now, to acquire one....definitely okay with paying postage to get one mailed. Last year I missed out and was super bummed.

I agree with MetaverseNomad - if you're local it's like you miss out just for being fortunate enough to live here, even though there are definite travel, scheduling, & budgeting issues for us as well. Hmmm, maybe I'll do the Magical Mystery Tour this year. I usually catch the tail end of the pub crawl because we start out at the Shorty's PrePAX Drunkard Extravaganza - but this year they're threatening glitter soooooo. um. Yeah.

KaitouAyashi on
  • Options
    iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm down for getting involved however I can, even if it's just monetarily. I think having one of these badges would be ideal. :D

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think i should be on it, since ive been here longer than the rest of you people :P (and do byoc but meh)

If its only supertrip/community event stuff then bleh :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    V4 is indeed nice, but perhaps a bigger spot for forum handle? I know that it'd be nice to know people's real name, but honestly, we'll all revert to forum names because it's easier to identify with.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    V4 is indeed nice, but perhaps a bigger spot for forum handle? I know that it'd be nice to know people's real name, but honestly, we'll all revert to forum names because it's easier to identify with.

True Story.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

True Story.

Yep.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On v4 what were the names gonna look like on the back? Will there be a background image/graphics/funny text?

Azazel on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Version 4 is almost perfect but I agree the forum name should be larger. The other info is nifty but the forum name is the most important info.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    I think i should be on it, since ive been here longer than the rest of you people :P (and do byoc but meh)

Even though I didn't get on the forums until PAX05, I started reading PA in 98 and was at the first NecroWombiCon in 2001. I was offered an enforcer position back in 2004, but I lost my job and my life went all pear-shaped such that I wasn't able to follow through with it. Probably for the best because after PAX04 I decided I could never be an enforcer because I loved too many events too much and there was no way I could be scheduled in a reasonable way. (Notable exception: I have sworn an oath that if in some alternate reality PAX becomes a 24 hr/day event again, I will volunteer for crazy shifts just to make that possible. Although I gather you have sworn a oath to make sure 24 hr/day PAX never happens again.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Although I gather you have sworn a oath to make sure 24 hr/day PAX never happens again

Fuck
    that
    shit

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the feedback all. I'll amend the signing section of the badge to make the forum name larger. As for the back, like I said it will remain the same as last year's, which looked a little something like this:
    PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_back_v1.jpg

Finally, if you're seeking to get your name on the back of the badge, by simply participating in this thread gives you a slot on there, so fear not those that live near/in Seattle who have posted on this thread :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, v4 looks great. Aside from the modification for the forum handle, which could be a little bigger, I'm digging it much more than last year's. Great job.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PAX_09_PA_Forum_Badge_back_v1.jpg

Win

Highfire on
This discussion has been closed.