As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White People Are [CHAT]

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Res wrote: »
    I don't understand this. How is it dishonorable to win too hard?
    Yeah I'm not really sure what the protocol is there

Do you like, go "Man, just give it up" or what

Elendil on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    gundam470 wrote: »
    The saddest part is that the team that got blown out dropped out of the league.
    Well they clearly suck
    The entire school has 20 people in it, almost all of whom have learning disabilities.

So yeah, I guess the talent pool among 20 people with learning disabilities is pretty small.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Fuck that guy. Maybe him getting fired is a bit much but fuck him anyway for actually defending how he coached his team that day.

Yeah because that's how it works in the real world, if someone hurts your widdle feelings you can get him fired no problem.

Raising generations of pussies.

Oh shut the fuck it's high school girls basketball. For every single one of those girls this is the only chance they'll ever have to experience what it's like to play on a real team and then this guy has to go and make it his job to take a giant shit on them. Fuck him, he's an asshole.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I am actually going to agree with Preacher on this. Maybe it's a sports thing I just don't get, but it sounds like his team won a game and...

...and he gets fired for that?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm going to assume that you missed the part where the losing team was from a school for girls with physical, emotional, or learning disabilities.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
    edited January 2009
    Would it be more or less insulting to pass the ball around for 45 minutes?

Run down the shot clock before you take your shots and don't put up threes and don't put your team in a full court press well into the 4th quarter.

Geez it's like none of you guys has ever heard of sportsmanship before.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

I'm going to assume that you missed the part where the losing team was from a school for girls with physical, emotional, or learning disabilities.

Oh. So it wasn't even a competitive game?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stephen Fry just quoted me.

Stephen Fry.

And now I have a massive influx of new followers on Twitter. Internet fame++

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited January 2009

...and...?

Elendil on
    edited January 2009

It was a league game so the win counted but there was no need to run up the chore and coach your team to embarrass the other. 50-0, 60-0 would have been a win. Coaching your team, cheering them on as they try to put up 100 points on these girls is shameful.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    ...So it was a competitive game.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Seriously I hope none of you jackasses ever have kids, pulling them out of t-ball because they can't field a grounder or something. Fuck.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Run down the shot clock before you take your shots and don't put up threes and don't put your team in a full court press well into the 4th quarter.

Oh fuck sake, wah wah wah these girls with learning disabilities shouldn't play other schools if they can't field a team that won't score. They haven't won a fucking game in 4 years, you think they would be more concerned with that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009

From the perspective of the losing school, it was an attempt to build their self-esteem and get them some physical exercise by giving them a team and letting them feel "normal," even if just for a little while, and even if it was in a loss. I guarantee you that if you polled that team and asked them if they'd rather play against real teams and always lose or against intramural squads and have it be more "even" they'd choose the former every time. It's probably one of the few sources of pride those eight girls had.

As the opposing coach, yes, there are many things you can do to make the game more competitive, and thus more fun for everybody. Play your bench, tell your kids not to run, tell them to stay back on D and let the other girls shoot. You think the "winners" feel good about themselves? Every one of them probably feels like shit, and it's all the coach's fault. What he did was abusive.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just don't think I can agree. But I won't say anything else. It just seems like Abloo Abloo competition is BAD to me.

I'll be reviled for that opinion, but whatever.

Ludious on
    edited January 2009
    Seriously I hope none of you jackasses ever have kids, pulling them out of t-ball because they can't field a grounder or something. Fuck.

Yeah because its the same thing. Look if my kid couldn't play baseball, football etc worth shit and would cry if the other teams beats him, yeah I'll take him out of the game. If you aren't enjoying it you shouldn't play it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009

Oh fuck sake, wah wah wah these girls with learning disabilities shouldn't play other schools if they can't field a team that won't score. They haven't won a fucking game in 4 years, you think they would be more concerned with that.

It's high school you fucking moron, it's about getting a chance to play not only playing if you have a chance at getting drafted or something.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited January 2009

Yeah because its the same thing. Look if my kid couldn't play baseball, football etc worth shit and would cry if the other teams beats him, yeah I'll take him out of the game. If you aren't enjoying it you shouldn't play it.

The other team didn't ask for a damn thing. They didn't complain about it. They handled it classy as fuck. All they wanted to do was play.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    You think the "winners" feel good about themselves? Every one of them probably feels like shit, and it's all the coach's fault. What he did was abusive.
    I would argue it's the other team's fault

Elendil on
    edited January 2009

It's high school you fucking moron, it's about getting a chance to play not only playing if you have a chance at getting drafted or something.

I didn't say drafted, I said competitive. I don't think it's fair these girls should be tasked to put on the fucking harlem globe trotters game because the school they are playing is not in the same league as them. That's bullshit and borders on harrison bergeron.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2009

The other team didn't ask for a damn thing. They didn't complain about it. They handled it classy as fuck. All they wanted to do was play.

Obviously not since someone had to make it into a story and make them the real "winners" out of it. The other coach gets fired because he won. Fuck I want that guy coaching my teams, fuck feelings, its a sport.

Honestly the real world beats your shit down, you might as well learn that now.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe nobody has found a pretext to ban Obs yet.

Hachface on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If it was a competitive game it was a competitive game. I just don't see the issue here. You're saying because they had disabilities that they should be given a break. But it was a normal league game. Don't you think letting up is being patronizing?

Ludious on
    edited January 2009
    I didn't say drafted, I said competitive. I don't think it's fair these girls should be tasked to put on the fucking harlem globe trotters game because the school they are playing is not in the same league as them. That's bullshit and borders on harrison bergeron.
    I don't have a problem with this team blowing out the other team, that's just going to happen. It's the way that they did that is disgraceful.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    If it was a competitive game it was a competitive game. I just don't see the issue here. You're saying because they had disabilities that they should be given a break. But it was a normal league game. Don't you think letting up is being patronizing?

Honestly I'd think that's more insulting than winning by a lot of points

nexuscrawler on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Monologue and conversation about a theater program are done. Now all that's left is the life story conversation. Fuck yeah.

Quid on
    edited January 2009

Every afternoon special I've ever seen has told me its bad to treat people with disabilities differently.

Ludious on
    edited January 2009
    I don't have a problem with this team blowing out the other team, that's just going to happen. It's the way that they did that is disgraceful.

What by using the other team as a shitty practice squad? So fuck them, don't step onto the court if you can't play the game. I agree with nexus, it would be more insulting to give them the ball and not play. At least this way they know their limitations. Hell give them some heart to not get shut out (which is unbelieveable how the fuck do you get shut out in a basketball game?)

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While we're at it, I think we should stop all those guys from waving stuff in the stands when people are shooting free throws and other such things.

mrflippy on
    edited January 2009

Obviously not since someone had to make it into a story and make them the real "winners" out of it. The other coach gets fired because he won. Fuck I want that guy coaching my teams, fuck feelings, its a sport.

Honestly the real world beats your shit down, you might as well learn that now.

You sound like Pete Rose and Barry Bonds complaining about how unfair the world is.

Because, no, the real world isn't. At least, not for most of us. It beats you're shit down, you, specifically, because you are a horrible person and say shit like the above. The rest of us actually learn the value of compassion and are more concerned with doing right instead of being right, with friendship, trust, and community. These things are real, they are taught, and they are earned. Neither team did anything wrong, the only person who acted without honor was the coach and he got what was coming to him.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited January 2009
    I think we should just tell everyone that they're a unique snowflake and get rid of competition altogether. We can run through fields and skip and sing Age of Aquarius.

Ludious on
    edited January 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    While we're at it, I think we should stop all those guys from waving stuff in the stands when people are shooting free throws and other such things.

I think if you score over 30 points in a game you should be ejected like if you had 5 fouls, clearly you are not being a team player and its insulting to everyone else.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    where was the bloo bloo blooing when I got demoted to 3rd string in junior high soccer huh?

nexuscrawler on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think if you score over 30 points in a game you should be ejected like if you had 5 fouls, clearly you are not being a team player and its insulting to everyone else.

I'm actually being serious though. I want to punch sports fans in the face.

mrflippy on
    edited January 2009

Every afternoon special I've ever seen has told me its bad to treat people with disabilities differently.

Maybe you should actually try talking to people with disabilities instead of categorizing them based on what you see on TV.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorry, I don't listen to the opinions of people who abandon their WoW guild.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited January 2009

Maybe you should actually try talking to people with disabilities instead of categorizing them based on what you see on TV.

So people with disabilities DO want to be patronized, and they DO want you to assume they need help with everything?

Ludious on
    edited January 2009

You sound like Pete Rose and Barry Bonds complaining about how unfair the world is.

Because, no, the real world isn't. At least, not for most of us. It beats you're shit down, you, specifically, because you are a horrible person and say shit like the above. The rest of us actually learn the value of compassion and are more concerned with doing right instead of being right, with friendship, trust, and community. These things are real, they are taught, and they are earned. Neither team did anything wrong, the only person who acted without honor was the coach and he got what was coming to him.

Yes because advocating that playing to your ability is the same as cheating or betting on a game. Of course anyone who has had anything bad happen to them is a result of them being a bad person and we should teach everyone that if they hope enough and treat people nicely things will go abc afternoon special for them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So who wants to hook me up with a new sig?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009

They broke the secret rules.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.