As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Open beta is live.

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I love the scouts. But I really think that there shotguns need a nerf. Something is seriously wrong when the t1 basic squad can take out any commander that is not immune to knock down. And they just rip apart platforms/HB teams.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    valtzyvaltzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so i've just discovered how incredibly useful the eldar warlock's cloaking shroud is

useful in that, you can hide a squad of two banshees under it and go to town on those turret spamming fucks.

also, great for getting the jump on those decent with microing the razorback or dreadnought.

valtzy on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    techmarine fo life.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    techmarine fo life.

Damn straight

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't use techmarines for the life of me.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't use techmarines for the life of me.

1. Get Techmarine
    2. Place turrets and mines
    3. ?
    4. Profit

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »
    What do you all do as nids against a warboss? I fought one 1 on 1 last night and his stomp attack just tore into my starting guants and all I could do was avoid him while trying to cap what I could. Didn't go so well.

I'm having similar troubles with Orks. I ran into an ork force very early on in a map. Like within the first 45 seconds. We both had only our starting units and he curbstomped me so easily. I experimented a little with the Lictor after this battle (I mainly use the ravener) and am having trouble adjusting. I just have no clue what upgrades to take with him. Anyone have any ideas on Lictor wargear?

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not really happy with how the Warboss is at the moment.

The Kommando and the Mekboy are just that much more useful. The Warboss gets surpressed in a second and can't do much against that. His stomp is cool, but you're usually pinned down the moment you see an enemy. He could maybe need a tiny temporary speed boost or something to break suppression.

It may just be me though and the Kommando is just better suitd for me than the Warboss.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    It seems the tooltips are slightly incorrect.

The warriors grant types of synapse, and those trigger the special abilities.

Ranged Synapse = termas knockdown

Melee Synapse = hormas start leaping over cover and swarming better

This right here is how the synapse works.

Hive Tyrant, from what I can tell, grants a damage increase.

'Thrope is health.

Warriors:

Unupgraded I have no clue what their synapse does.

Barbed Strangler is health

Venom Cannon is ranged synapse, TG's have a chance (I think it might be around a 45% chance per termagant, so that x8 is a decent chance to knockdown) to knockdown with shots

Adrenal Glands is melee, Hormagaunts ignore cover and speed/damage boost.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah. the melee synapse is just fucking insane. I love it.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think the Tyrant's upgrades will also grant ranged or melee synapse. If you get crushing claws melee, venom canon ranged.

Not actually certain though.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my name is tyrannus and I like sucking techmarine penis

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a compstomp game open right now to do some rudimentary testing. I have an image of synapse range, and will be testing bonuses and such.

I just have the time to do it right now, and don't feel like playing an actual game.

edit:

Tyrant does not give special synapse after upgrading with the venom cannon or crushing claws. His seems to be purely a damage boost and maybe an armor boost as well.

Zoathrope health synapse gives a pretty noticeable boost to health regen, and can be seen by a yellow hexagon on the units it's healing.

Warriors: vanilla warriors give a toned down version of the Tyrant's synapse.

Barbed strangler warriors grant a health boost. My t2 hormagaunts had 700 max health, but in the range of the BS warrior's synapse, they were boosted to 812 max hp. However, it didn't appear to boost my termagaunt's health.

So it looks like different kinds of synapse stack to full effect, but multiples of the same type do not add any other bonuses.
    synapsecu0.jpg
    The above image shows the range of the Tyrant's synapse. Affected gaunts are marked with a black dot.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my name is tyrannus and I like sucking techmarine penis

tastes like pennies

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And all the synapses stack,right?

That's pretty awesome.

And I saw the gaunts jumping over cover today. It was CRAZY.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have a compstomp game open right now to do some rudimentary testing. I have an image of synapse range, and will be testing bonuses and such.

I just have the time to do it right now, and don't feel like playing an actual game.

edit:

Tyrant does not give special synapse after upgrading with the venom cannon or crushing claws. His seems to be purely a damage boost and maybe an armor boost as well.

Zoathrope health synapse gives a pretty noticeable boost to health regen, and can be seen by a yellow hexagon on the units its healing.

Great, thanks for testing. I thought I had the ranged synapse bonus without a ranged warrior squad, I was nuts.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone want to play a 3v3? I have yet to play one. My gamertag is RT Schutter, go ahead and add me if you are interested.

rts on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nothing like some Assault Tactical Dreadnaught Armor teleporting into your midst to ruin a nice Waaagh.

relic00015we4.th.jpg

Sadly right after this the replay crashes the game. :( How did it end Kinder? Looks like you were staging a comeback. Nice work though, I can tell you're a hell of a lot more on top of things that I would be and much more precise command of your troops. I also liked the way you were using the Razorback as a fast response and support unit. I wonder if the Ork Trukk could function the same way (I think its slower and less armed though).

I need more practice, that is for sure. :?

[edit]

I also noticed that you never shotgunned/sergeant'd your scouts. And that you didn't seem to purchase generators until you were Tech 2. I saw this as curious. Obviously its to some plan, but I always try to slap down two generators as fast as I can to get power flowing, but I guess that basically deprives we of a unit to fight the early battle for map control, doesn't it?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Two days...

Is there any way to download the beta files themselves without a registration key? I want to jump in on the action without having to deal with clogged servers.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love the farseer. She is godly

You can lock up armies (yes plural) with her late tier abilities. So god damn good

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My preformance in this game is so fucking erratic. Broadly speaking, I'm a pretty good player, trueskill 30, rank 20-something four-five wins for every loss etc.

But if I havnt eaten, or slept or something that you think would be relatively minor, I start losing to rank ones. Seriously.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Zoathrope health synapse gives a pretty noticeable boost to health regen, and can be seen by a yellow hexagon on the units it's healing.

Warriors: vanilla warriors give a toned down version of the Tyrant's synapse.

Barbed strangler warriors grant a health boost. My t2 hormagaunts had 700 max health, but in the range of the BS warrior's synapse, they were boosted to 812 max hp. However, it didn't appear to boost my termagaunt's health.

So it looks like different kinds of synapse stack to full effect, but multiples of the same type do not add any other bonuses.

This is incredibly helpful and it would explain why I wasn't noticing my hormagaunts swarming over cover early game last night.
    Tyrant should give some type of armor boost, at least once you pick the second upgrade from his second column. I always get that one just because I feel nids are too fragile. But then I think everything in the game, short of turrets and walkers, are too fragile.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sakeido wrote: »
    One of the things DoW 2 has caused in my life is to make me want to finish painting my 'nids. I'm terrible at it, but I finished one of my Warriors last night.
    DSCF3153.jpg
    DSCF3151.jpg

It's the colour I'm going to make my in-game nids with the army painter in the official release.

I see your nid and raise you my Salamander space marine. No pic yet. And I only ever finished one. The rest of my squads are all Blood Angels. Nobody here to play table top 40k with :(

One thing I'm sucking at right now is.. how exactly do I take out a set up gun with the Eldar? I played a techmarine last night and got massacred by heavy bolters and turrets.. I couldn't find a unit that could close that distance without dying and flanking didn't work because of the lay of the land. Warp Spiders still had to get pretty close up in their faces to teleport behind them so they didn't work out..

Brightlances. They outrange them. You need someone to spot, though. D-Cannons are all the better if you can afford them. Remember that Guide form the Farseer also boosts range, makes it even easier to pick off the turrets.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love the feel of the Space Marines in this game. I've always been a Space Marine player and DOWII is really rewarding my loyality. I just wish they'd kept "suffer not the witch to live".

And, you know, they need to fix tanks so they actually work.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Accualt wrote: »
    This is incredibly helpful and it would explain why I wasn't noticing my hormagaunts swarming over cover early game last night.
    Tyrant should give some type of armor boost, at least once you pick the second upgrade from his second column. I always get that one just because I feel nids are too fragile. But then I think everything in the game, short of turrets and walkers, are too fragile.

Turrets, Walkers, and pissed off banshees <3

kildy on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The best part of Blessing of the Omnissiah is that SM players are forced to either start fielding lots of walkers or convert all their tac squads to missile launchers. My dreads basically had it going the entire time they were up since it only costs 225 zeal and you can get that much from killing a few mans.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nothing like some Assault Tactical Dreadnaught Armor teleporting into your midst to ruin a nice Waaagh.

I love terminators, I love them so much. If they ever allowed us to field a Deathwing company in this game I'd probably be unable to play, due to an induced state of continuous orgasm.

Also, I have a question for our more expert players. What exactly does a unit gain when it levels up? Is it just a boost in health? Or does it function like veterancy in CoH (ie. better accuracy etc.)?

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Anyone have any tips on keeping tankbustaz alive long enough to bust some tanks? They go down so quickly I am having trouble fielding them against space marine dreads in particular.

rts on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on keeping tankbustaz alive long enough to bust some tanks? They go down so quickly I am having trouble fielding them against space marine dreads in particular.

Going to have to take a hint from da puny eldar and turn tail and run afta you done shootin at it.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't see many comments on the music, which is often overlooked in games, but I gotta say that DoW2's music is excellent. It's good too, because it had high expectations to live up to after DoW1's great soundtrack.

I just hope the soundtrack is included with the 'special edition' box of DoW2 I ordered from Amazon.co.uk, because it doesn't actually list what the extras are.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My preformance in this game is so fucking erratic. Broadly speaking, I'm a pretty good player, trueskill 30, rank 20-something four-five wins for every loss etc.

But if I havnt eaten, or slept or something that you think would be relatively minor, I start losing to rank ones. Seriously.

You have your good games and your bad games. I had a particularly embarassing one where I lost to a trueskill 9 with many more losses to his name than wins. I won't go over the details, but we'll say it was a poor show on my part.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh man, those tyranid spore bomb things are really annoying.

rts on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

You have your good games and your bad games. I had a particularly embarassing one where I lost to a trueskill 9 with many more losses to his name than wins. I won't go over the details, but we'll say it was a poor show on my part.
    I have not. So I guess I'm just that good.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Eating and sleeping are actually pretty essential.

Unless you're a robot. Then I guess it would be weird for that stuff to affect you.
    At least you don't consistently suck like I do.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2009

Unless you're a robot. Then I guess it would be weird for that stuff to affect you.

at least you have time to play.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

at least you have time to play.

You've been playing this game for weeks.

A-Puck on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    but now hes working on CoH2: HITLER LIVES

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

First DoW2 DLC: plasma cannon upgrade for dreads.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

First DoW2 DLC: plasma cannon upgrade for dreads.

DoW2: The Ruinous Powers

A-Puck on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DoW2: Revenge of the Squats.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
This discussion has been closed.