As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hellgate: London thread of HOLY FUCK its not dead.

2»

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I had a friend who bought the lifetime membership for this.

:lol:

Yeah that's absolutely hysterical

Especially when given the lifetime of Hellgate they only lost ten bucks on it. Yeah, total riot.

Echo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game pissed me off, it was so disappointing. I liked the general idea of what they were trying to do, but they made so many weird design choices. I especially didn't like how everyone character models were so low resolution but mine was high resolution. It made it so you couldn't see peoples cool gear which is half the fun in a loot based MMO like Hellgate. Was the games subscription worth it? Fuuuuck no.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game pissed me off, it was so disappointing. I liked the general idea of what they were trying to do, but they made so many weird design choices. I especially didn't like how everyone character models were so low resolution but mine was high resolution. It made it so you couldn't see peoples cool gear which is half the fun in a loot based MMO like Hellgate. Was the games subscription worth it? Fuuuuck no.

I think many of those design choices were made because it wasn't really a subscription-based MMO. It was an action RPG that happened to have an online component which also had a subscription component. I think they tried to blur too many lines and it just didn't work.

That said, as an evolution of Diablo, I really enjoyed it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Leetful wrote: »
    Yeah, if you want to compete with WoW then don't start off with such an obviously flawed payment scheme. You have to be a better deal, since it doesn't matter if you're the better game.

Is your low-flying insinuation here that this has already come to pass, and an objectively better game exists? Because a quick metacritic lookup of the biggest contenders in the market says the opposite. Guild Wars is, by far, the closest -- but as soon as you add in expansions, it drops off.

Since when did we give a damn about metacritic around here? I mean, sure it's an ok resource to aggregate a bunch of numbers but some of my favorite games have low metacritic/gameranking scores. Personally I feel that Eve Online is a far better game than WoW will ever be, but that doesn't line up with the numbers on review sites.

Drake on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I had a friend who bought the lifetime membership for this.

:lol:

Yeah that's absolutely hysterical

Especially when given the lifetime of Hellgate they only lost ten bucks on it. Yeah, total riot.

I would argue that the humor lies as such
    1. The friend had high expectations for the game, choosing to invest a relatively substantial sum during release.
    2. Not only did the lifetime membership turn out to be a poor investment (if I understand your post), one would assume that the shutting down of servers was due to lack of demand, which we can infer at least to a degree had to do with a poor gaming experience.
    3. Lol

TL DR on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, the other shame about this is as follows;

Paying for the lifetime membership would imply that the person wanted access to the online content, and thus, likely played almost exclusively online, and as such, got access to more content, but now has nothing.

Conversely, someone that didn't pay for the online component may have also played almost exclusively online, and now has nothing, though they did save a pile of cash.

And then finally you have people who play almost exclusively offline, who lose almost nothing.

The first two groups of people lost all their levels, their gear and little perks. The offline playerbase lost a feature they may or may not have been using in the first place. A shame they didn't work out some way to port your online character to offline, as that would've been fancy pants.

I imagine many people, however, played it like a Diablo sequel, and as such, exclusive online play probably wasn't an unfamiliar choice. I know I played D2 exclusively online, and will likely play Diablo 3 the same way. I chose this route with HG:L, and apparently it didn't work out quite so well this time. It won't sour me on doing so again (at least, not with big name developers like Blizzard), but it is an unfortunate final sour note to the game's demise in our region.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Once the game goes free though, I'll probably reinstall it to give it another chance. It was one of those games that I followed very closely when it was coming out, and even got the special edition. It just felt like so many elements were half assed, and half the towns I got to were empty, and I could never find anyone to play with.

That's similar with me to guildwars, I could NEVER find people to play with in guildwars. I even joined a guild but that game was so sprawling with so many little mission areas that no one seemed to be at the same part at the same time. But at least there were people playing that game. Hellgate just seemed so empty. And there were so many repeated areas.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Once the game goes free though, I'll probably reinstall it to give it another chance. It was one of those games that I followed very closely when it was coming out, and even got the special edition. It just felt like so many elements were half assed, and half the towns I got to were empty, and I could never find anyone to play with.

That's similar with me to guildwars, I could NEVER find people to play with in guildwars. I even joined a guild but that game was so sprawling with so many little mission areas that no one seemed to be at the same part at the same time. But at least there were people playing that game. Hellgate just seemed so empty. And there were so many repeated areas.

The problem at this point is we will never even have another chance anyways. Apparently Namco Bandai still controls NA/EU distribution rights so the Hanbit statement was mistranslated, as per Gamasutra's edited article.

We could have the same agruments that started when the game was released about their business model decisions, but it really doesn't matter now, if they would have at least patched single player to where multiplayer was, the situation wouldn't have been so dismal. As unlike Guildwars, you could run through enough of Hellgate's content by yourself and not have to get the mercs or w/e Guildwars has.

Unless NB drops the dead rights they obviously have no intention on continuing with to Hanbit at a price that is agreeable to both parties, it really doesn't matter.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, this thread caused me to re-install.
    I haven't played since the original release, so am re-learning the game.
    I've downloaded and installed the last/latest patch (v1.2) and am playing single-player.

Questions:
    1. As I understand it, there is zero multiplayer right now - but maybe in the near future it will be available again, hosted by a different company? Are there any fan-run servers that are supporting multiplayer?
    2. In the single-player mode, is there any way to transfer items between your characters? I've read something about in-game emailing for multiplayer, similar to WoW, but I can't seem to find it in single player.
    3. Is there a way to split stacks of items yet? I used to be able to use a workaround with the item crafter - but now, it seems the item crafters use your components directly from your bank, rather than you placing the items into a crafting window. With that added 'feature', I now see no way whatsoever to split stacks of items.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't remember; did this have any type of LAN play?

Did PSO PC have any type of LAN play?

Fuck, are there ANY 3D MUDs with LAN play?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I can't remember; did this have any type of LAN play?

Did PSO PC have any type of LAN play?

Fuck, are there ANY 3D MUDs with LAN play?
    Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2. There are a ton of persistent worlds out there that allow you to play MMO-style, but you can still play any module locally and with friends on a LAN.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    So, this thread caused me to re-install.
    I haven't played since the original release, so am re-learning the game.
    I've downloaded and installed the last/latest patch (v1.2) and am playing single-player.

Questions:
    1. As I understand it, there is zero multiplayer right now - but maybe in the near future it will be available again, hosted by a different company? Are there any fan-run servers that are supporting multiplayer?
    2. In the single-player mode, is there any way to transfer items between your characters? I've read something about in-game emailing for multiplayer, similar to WoW, but I can't seem to find it in single player.
    3. Is there a way to split stacks of items yet? I used to be able to use a workaround with the item crafter - but now, it seems the item crafters use your components directly from your bank, rather than you placing the items into a crafting window. With that added 'feature', I now see no way whatsoever to split stacks of items.

Hmm, after doing a bit more web research, it seems like the answer is still no to both #2 and #3.
    Which is disappointing.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well that kind of sucks. Alas hellgate, we hardly knew ye.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I threw my Hellgate DVD out when I moved in to my new house. Looks like it was a smart choice.

I had a decently leveled and geared Hunter Marksman.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The flaws were many, to be sure, but my Bot/Airstrike Marksman was a reasonably fun way to waste time here and there.

I only wish I'd gone ahead and killed the final Stonehenge guy while I had the chance. I was level 48 or so, and heard it was a good idea (for the best drops at least) to do it at 50. Kinda lost interest in the grind, cancelled the subscription, and then a few days later they announced the closure/freeze on accounts, which murdered any interest I had in going back.

Oh well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd like to hear the reasoning for this, is Namco just bitter and pissed right now?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, they won't get any money from it at this point so I don't think they'll waste their resources.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ppl still play hellgate london? rlly i regret buying that,soooo boring

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Type out the words... Please. Thanks. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

lol, water ewe talk in a bout. own lee nerds typ wrds.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

lol, water ewe talk in a bout. own lee nerds typ wrds.

You want me to go into a blind rage don't you?

urahonky on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Thanks for sharing! 8-)

Spindrift on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck Hellgate.

I want mythos!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.