As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Samsung hl61a750 - LED DLP

mack88mack88 Registered User regular
Anyone have this TV here? I've read some reviews on it and it seems to be doing pretty well, plus the price is dropping like mad. I'd like to hear from any of you who have this tv and your thoughts. Hopefully you've had it for 6+ months, but that's not a requirement.

I'll be replacing my 60" mitsu which has been a fantastic tv so far. But I want to play my wii and xbox on something with a bit better resolution, rockband just doesn't look that great compared to my friend 50"+ JVC, bastard!

Thanks

mack88 on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just get the 67 inch version!
    I don't own one, but from everything I've read about the LED DLP sets is that they re wonderful.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't have that exact model, but I do have a Samsung LED DLP. This is the model I have

Can't complain at all. Don't get the rainbow effect like I do with my parents'. The only thing I'll say is something which is true of all DLPs - compared to other TVs, there is a distinct "sweet spot" vertically, in addition to horizontally, in which you'll get a better picture. You'll want to make sure it's placed at a height where you'll hit that.

It's a little slow when switching to HDMI inputs, but from what I hear, that's the case with all HDMI.

Dunno how much better it'll look than your current 60", though. Seems a waste to replace an HDTV just for that :P

Jragghen on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My dad has the 67" version (LED DLP) and it is the best TV I have ever watched anything on. If you have the space and the cash, get it

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yea i've been eyeing the 67", it's not much more than the 61". Only thing is i've heard some reports of it sagging in the middle. It's good to hear some of you have seen it and like it (or similar). Samsung is really uppin it's game in the tv arena. As soon as I pay off my wife's mac book, i'm going to go ahead and get one. Which one I don't know, yea i do - the 67! hehe. Thanks.

Anyone else who has this tv, please feel free to post! I'm still interested in other people's experiences. Especially blue-ray and xbox.

mack88 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We were watching The Dark Knight Blu-ray on it yesterday and it looked magnificent. Great color, black levels, brightness, the works. I didn't notice any bowing issues like I saw mentioned on Amazon but maybe I just wasn't looking out for it? Could just be a deal where some units have noticeable problems while others do not.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I don't have that exact model, but I do have a Samsung LED DLP. This is the model I have

Can't complain at all. Don't get the rainbow effect like I do with my parents'. The only thing I'll say is something which is true of all DLPs - compared to other TVs, there is a distinct "sweet spot" vertically, in addition to horizontally, in which you'll get a better picture. You'll want to make sure it's placed at a height where you'll hit that.

It's a little slow when switching to HDMI inputs, but from what I hear, that's the case with all HDMI.

Dunno how much better it'll look than your current 60", though. Seems a waste to replace an HDTV just for that :P

No rainbow effect = awesome!

I'm not too worried about the 'sweet spot', it's just for my girl and i, you can't see it very well - tough ;)

It will be worlds better than my mitsu, don't get me wrong it's been a great tv for the last 6 years, but it's time for some high def and I like the LED light setup. I've been incredibly lucky with my mitsu, can't hear the color wheel - some sets it sounds like it's going to drive away! So it'll definitely be worth it, and @ $1500, I can afford a new receiver + blueray player! :P

mack88 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, my dad actually upgraded from an old, similar-sized Mitshubishi rear projection (he was an early HDTV adopter), and by comparison the Mitshubishi was a piece of junk.

OremLK on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mack88 wrote: »
    It will be worlds better than my mitsu, don't get me wrong it's been a great tv for the last 6 years, but it's time for some high def and I like the LED light setup. I've been incredibly lucky with my mitsu, can't hear the color wheel - some sets it sounds like it's going to drive away! So it'll definitely be worth it, and @ $1500, I can afford a new receiver + blueray player! :P
    Once you start hearing the color wheel screaming (i.e. you can hear it from across the room, over the TV), you need to get it serviced. That sound is the bearings going. It's cheaper to call them earlier than later on that.

GungHo on