As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ok i lied this is where it goes.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing the average household income

Remember that rich people skew it MASSIVELY. The median is probably significantly lower.
    Well, assuming we trimmed the top and bottom 2% of the income figures as well (as was done with the game numbers), out of a sample group of that size, there'd have to be an awful lot of people making 6+ figures to really skew the results.

I suspect it's a combination of multi-income households (4 guys splitting a house at 20k apiece? 80k a year, BAM), couples, and teens noting their parents.

If/when we roll another of these out, perhaps another question could be paired with that one; how many people are in your household? Thus giving us a total income, and the number of people supplying that income, possibly allowing a more accurate average?
    You realize that your roommates aren't part of your household, right?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Remember that rich people skew it MASSIVELY. The median is probably significantly lower.
    Well, assuming we trimmed the top and bottom 2% of the income figures as well (as was done with the game numbers), out of a sample group of that size, there'd have to be an awful lot of people making 6+ figures to really skew the results.

I suspect it's a combination of multi-income households (4 guys splitting a house at 20k apiece? 80k a year, BAM), couples, and teens noting their parents.

If/when we roll another of these out, perhaps another question could be paired with that one; how many people are in your household? Thus giving us a total income, and the number of people supplying that income, possibly allowing a more accurate average?
    Nope. And if I didn't realize it, maybe others didn't realize it as well? What does define "household?"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Nope. And if I didn't realize it, maybe others didn't realize it as well? What does define "household?"

In general? Yourself, your spouse, and any dependents.

Adjust as necessary if you are one of said dependents.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Nor was I, and I consider myself informed.

The point stands in regards to dependants noting their parents income, however.

Or, I suppose, parents noting their dependants income.

I live alone so my numbers are all me, and it's not like this is keeping me awake at night. Just something that occured to me. Asking for a household (rather than personal) income without knowing how many people make up that household just seemed a bit odd to me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess it makes sense, but I would consider anyone in my living unit to be part my household.

Not really relevant in my case, with just us two and the cat. Stupid cat doesn't work though, just sleeps all day; can't even do the dishes.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Good point. What is the median income, Mr. Khoo? ("Also median age?" asks this old guy...)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    ITT: We learn that the household income numbers are pretty much meaningless.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was suprised how acurately the results reflected myself.

Happy to know we don't watch that much TV, and do a lot of PC gaming. Did you see the stats on RPGs? Holy crap, when I was younger I was in the minority.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Soon.

As long as its still alive.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The 6% female figure made me die a little bit on the inside.

I've been playing games online for almost 15 years now, and sure, when I was a pubescent little girl playing Quake deathmatch, it was briefly amusing to see all the pubescent little boys spasming all over themselves to ask "OMG r u really a girl??" I had just kind of assumed that things got better over time, though maybe that had more to do with the fact that I switched from Counter-Strike to EverQuest in 2000, and spent a few years immersed in the MMO scene. The next online FPS I played was TF2, which I actually got into pretty late. But I just realized last night... I still get people exclaiming in disbelief over my gender. Hell, on the rare occasions when I use a mic, I even see people getting angry at the fact that I'm a girl, yelling at me and insisting that I'm actually a 12 year old boy and I should just admit that and stop calling myself Kate.

We still have a long, long way to go in online gender relations.

You can't blame people for being surprised to hear a girl talk over mic. It hardly never happens. In fact, I would say that unless I'm consistently playing on a server where a girl(s) consistently plays, I run into a female talking about once in every 30 sessions. If that.

So, a surprised reaction is normal. Whether or not someone should speak on it or accuse you of actually being a kid, though, is well... yeah. Not right. In fact, there may be far more female gamers than the male-female mic use ratio would like to tell you, if most are too afraid of being mocked or whatever for speaking.

e: I was also a little surprised at the hours of video games played numbers. I'm probably around that number, but for some reason I was expecting higher.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I've been playing games online for almost 15 years now, and sure, when I was a pubescent little girl playing Quake deathmatch, it was briefly amusing to see all the pubescent little boys spasming all over themselves to ask "OMG r u really a girl??" I had just kind of assumed that things got better over time, though maybe that had more to do with the fact that I switched from Counter-Strike to EverQuest in 2000, and spent a few years immersed in the MMO scene. The next online FPS I played was TF2, which I actually got into pretty late. But I just realized last night... I still get people exclaiming in disbelief over my gender. Hell, on the rare occasions when I use a mic, I even see people getting angry at the fact that I'm a girl, yelling at me and insisting that I'm actually a 12 year old boy and I should just admit that and stop calling myself Kate.

You can't blame people for being surprised to hear a girl talk over mic. It hardly never happens. In fact, I would say that unless I'm consistently playing on a server where a girl(s) consistently plays, I run into a female talking about once in every 30 sessions. If that.

So, a surprised reaction is normal. Whether or not someone should speak on it or accuse you of actually being a kid, though, is well... yeah. Not right. In fact, there may be far more female gamers than the male-female mic use ratio would like to tell you, if most are too afraid of being mocked or whatever for speaking.

e: I was also a little surprised at the hours of video games played numbers. I'm probably around that number, but for some reason I was expecting higher.

I'm not shocked by hearing a girl talk in Vent, mainly because I play wow.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

So people over 21 with jobs still living with their parents. The parents would technically be considered roommates and not included in the "household?"

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I'm not shocked by hearing a girl talk in Vent, mainly because I play wow.

Agreed. As a former WoW addict, there were significantly more than 6% female gamers in any given raid / guild I was in over the course of 4 years. Some were as high as a third or more.

While I agree that female FPS players with mics seemed to be rare during my various UT tours of duty, female MMO players seem to be far more numerous/common.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not surprised that the numbers of women involved in the "gaming community" are still quite low. There are certainly a lot more female gamers, even hardcore female gamers, than there used to be. That doesn't necessarily translate into more women visiting sites like PA. I'm too lazy to cite my sources here, but I'm basing my assumptions on gender-based social research and my own experience (I mention it when it's my own experience).

1. Women are less likely than men to work in jobs that allow them to browse gaming sites during the day.

2. Many women have mostly female friends. I don't know if anybody has studied this, but I think gaming isn't yet an accepted/understood hobby in most female social groups. I personally see a big difference in reactions between when I tell men that I'm a gamer and when I tell other women. I similarly get different reactions from men and women when I play with my DS on the subway. In general, men think it's pretty cool or interesting, even if they aren't gamers themselves. Women tend to think it's a bit weird, and they are the ones who give me funny looks when I game on the subway. My personal social network is not typical for a woman, and I imagine that if I did have mostly non-gaming female friends, I would compartmentalize my gaming and wouldn't consider it a "lifestyle" or want to associate with gamers on-line.

3. Female gamers skew older than male gamers, and post-college-age women have far less leisure time than men. Female gamers are probably going to spend their limited leisure time gaming, rather than reading about gaming on-line.

4. Gaming communities are still very male-dominated and most are not at all welcoming to or accepting of women. Penny Arcade is one of the more accepting communities I've seen, yet just one look at H/A shows that it's still awfully male-dominated. From what I've seen, the women who post regularly here are comfortable with typical male communication/relating styles, which again isn't common for women. Hell, I'm basically "one of the guys" in Real Life, but even I'm not brave enough to post in SE++.

I certainly wouldn't take a lack of women on these boards/on this site as a sign that there aren't many female gamers or that women only play "casual" games. I think that's far from true, but I also think it'll be a while (and a lot of social change) before a lot of women start popping up in the on-line gaming communities.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What about country stats?

My average is about 30k a year, but that's for Mexico, so it's quite good.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The horrible truth is that women tend to "grow out" of gaming and men don't. My sister played the same amount of video games as me when we were kids now I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and she hasn't picked up a pad in 10 years. My ex's and female friends are the same many USED to play games as children but now aside from the odd guitar hero session (which lets face it IS just a casual game) aren't into it at all. I cant say I know a single girl who will play a game unless she's bullied into it by a guy. Hell even among non-gaming forum there are barely any females at all (at least not over the age of 16), it makes me wonder what they do to kill time and why I'm not doing it too. :P

Casual on
  • Options
    FazhaFazha Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    66k Average income? That's one hell of a lot of rich shut-ins.

Fazha on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fazha wrote: »
    66k Average income? That's one hell of a lot of rich shut-ins.

Parents.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ITT people are shocked by the same things over and over again

matthias00 on
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't understand the drama over income, the age is 26, which means a lot of us are married and have children, how can two professionals make LESS then 66k.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man RPGS at 90% and sports games at 14%

nerrrrrrdsssssss!

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moar pc rpgs plzzz

:D

japh on
  • Options
    ofthefountainofthefountain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What is the median income?

ofthefountain on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Here's a weak defense that is probably even more sexist than the original arguement:

Take in mind that this is a survey of people that visit PA. There may be more girl gamers in the general populous, but there may not be that many girl gamers that read this comic and the comic's frontpage, or the SE++ forums.

I don't really think it's sexist to suggest that... My wife, for instance, could be considered an "occasional hardcore" gamer. When we first started dating, she was into Quake, and our third "date" consisted of me bringing over my NES. She loves Soul Calibur (and she always picks Sophitia....and yes, she can beat me sometimes) and The Sims (I know, it has a rep for being a female skewed game, but she bought a Dell XPS just so she could play The Sims 2). Just yesterday, she asked if I could set her up to play Soul Calibur 4 and Burnout Paradise online (so if you see Random35 on either of those games (PS3), it may actually be my wife).

All that being said, she's never visited PA, Joystiq, Kotaku, 1Up, etc. She'd rather spend her time on MyFaceSpaceBookPage or whatever. She gets all of her gamer news from me (whether she likes it or not, I suppose). I could see her getting into SE++ maybe, but I don't know how she'd find that herself.

I think it should have been specified as something like "what was your household 1040 tax form adjusted gross income for 2008?" or something similar.

I could believe 66k/year for PA readers, though; I make nearly that alone as a programmer/sys admin, and my psychologist wife pushes that to right around 100k. I could probably make 80k in a big city with my skills. I would guess that a fair number of PA readers have been around long enough to complete college, and I would imagine many are in engineering and technical fields. I started reading back in college, maybe less than a year after they started.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Here's a weak defense that is probably even more sexist than the original arguement:

Take in mind that this is a survey of people that visit PA. There may be more girl gamers in the general populous, but there may not be that many girl gamers that read this comic and the comic's frontpage, or the SE++ forums.

I don't really think it's sexist to suggest that... My wife, for instance, could be considered an "occasional hardcore" gamer. When we first started dating, she was into Quake, and our third "date" consisted of me bringing over my NES. She loves Soul Calibur (and she always picks Sophitia....and yes, she can beat me sometimes) and The Sims (I know, it has a rep for being a female skewed game, but she bought a Dell XPS just so she could play The Sims 2). Just yesterday, she asked if I could set her up to play Soul Calibur 4 and Burnout Paradise online (so if you see Random35 on either of those games (PS3), it may actually be my wife).

All that being said, she's never visited PA, Joystiq, Kotaku, 1Up, etc. She'd rather spend her time on MyFaceSpaceBookPage or whatever. She gets all of her gamer news from me (whether she likes it or not, I suppose). I could see her getting into SE++ maybe, but I don't know how she'd find that herself.

I think it should have been specified as something like "what was your household 1040 tax form adjusted gross income for 2008?" or something similar.

I could believe 66k/year for PA readers, though; I make nearly that alone as a programmer/sys admin, and my psychologist wife pushes that to right around 100k. I could probably make 80k in a big city with my skills. I would guess that a fair number of PA readers have been around long enough to complete college, and I would imagine many are in engineering and technical fields. I started reading back in college, maybe less than a year after they started.

Yeah, while I've been doing my taxes for a couple years now, I usually don't take NON-IRS related queries of household income to be the same thing. Weird thing is, I'm slightly below the average with an entry level programming job, AND I live with my parents (well, my parent lives with me, and all of the income is from what I generate. Not average at ALL). Even at that, I own a gaming PC and all current gen consoles (2 dust collectors that double as Blu Ray players and party night machines, and a yet to RROD 360), and still play an average of 2 hours a night, which includes long dry spells since I've recently *gasp* picked up READING again! It's cutting significantly into my gaming time.

Hopefully, the statistics here will prompt console developers to make more RPGs. I could use Grandia 4 sometime soon...

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't understand the drama over income, the age is 26, which means a lot of us are married and have children, how can two professionals make LESS then 66k.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MJPM wrote: »
    *snip quoted stuff*

Yeah, while I've been doing my taxes for a couple years now, I usually don't take NON-IRS related queries of household income to be the same thing. Weird thing is, I'm slightly below the average with an entry level programming job, AND I live with my parents (well, my parent lives with me, and all of the income is from what I generate. Not average at ALL). Even at that, I own a gaming PC and all current gen consoles (2 dust collectors that double as Blu Ray players and party night machines, and a yet to RROD 360), and still play an average of 2 hours a night, which includes long dry spells since I've recently *gasp* picked up READING again! It's cutting significantly into my gaming time.

Hopefully, the statistics here will prompt console developers to make more RPGs. I could use Grandia 4 sometime soon...

Well, what I meant by the AGI thing is "only put the income you can actually claim on your taxes"... Like, if you live with your parents (not like your situation), only put the $10k you make and not your parents' incomes. But if you are married, put down both incomes. Anyway, these numbers will be screwy anyway, because a college kid living at home making $10k probably has a lot more disposable income to buy games and more time to play them. We just bought a house, and we've got 2 newish cars, so less of my income and time goes toward games these days.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You're playing the wrong games, Kate. The biggest group of gamers in the country is women over 40. Go check out the forums at Big Fish Games sometime; it's pretty much all housewives.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CaffeinatedGuyCaffeinatedGuy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    link? To the post on PA site I missed it.

CaffeinatedGuy on
    brick_bow_banner.png
  • Options
    ZankenZanken Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was asked for 'household' income, I considered that I live with 4 housemates and made a rough estimate. At the time, I didn't understand why you would ask that question. Standard of living?

If it's true that it it's only supposed to include spouse/dependants or whoever you depend on, it probably should be specify that. The only thing I can think of that asks us that here in Aussie land is our census, which factors in what type of household you live in, so it can be taken into proper context.

Zanken on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

man call me crazy but I have no intentions of being married with kids at 26. What do you people get hitched right after college?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Javen wrote: »

man call me crazy but I have no intentions of being married with kids at 26. What do you people get hitched right after college?

Did you not finish college till you were 25?

jonxp on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

Did you not finish college till you were 25?

Graduate school could be 3 years, :O.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The reason why everyone's talkign about it is because there's confusion as to whether or not the question meant, "how much do you make", and "how much do all the people in your house combined make"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

The reason why everyone's talkign about it is because there's confusion as to whether or not the question meant, "how much do you make", and "how much do all the people in your house combined make"

"Household income is a measure of current private income commonly used by the United States government and private institutions. To measure the income of a household, the pre-tax money receipts of all residents over the age of 15 over a single year are combined."

This is what is meant when one sees a question asking for/figure reporting household income.

There are, of course, time where this is harder to apply (roommates that do not share their money, for example). However, in the vast majority of situations, this is how one should think about it.

jonxp on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The average age is 26, meaning half the people responding are above it.

$66k is not particularly high; I'll be making $61k right out of college (not even grad school).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »

The average age is 26, meaning half the people responding are above it.

$66k is not particularly high; I'll be making $61k right out of college (not even grad school).

No thats the median. We don't know the skew of the poll.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    link? To the post on PA site I missed it.

Dammit, I can't find it now. It took me three tries to find it the first time. Now I can't find it again. But it was there.

Dammit.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    PsamathosPsamathos Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    More interesting that average income would be the industry in which readers work: For example, what proportion of readers work in IT and computer-related fields?

Psamathos on
  • Options
    ZodiakZodiak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I took the survey and the income figure doesn't surprise or interest me really...

I *am* surprised over the "Average Number of Hours of TV Per Week: 6.1 Hours" figure though. Less than one hour a day? Really?
    Seriously, that's a lot lower than I would have guessed. Is no one else surprised by this? I always have my TV on when I game/surf the web etc. I have at least 1 TV in every major room, and 2 in some rooms (how else to watch TV and play my Wii at the same time??)
    I estimated 4 hours a day for me, so 28 for a week... and yes I swear I have job/gf/life too!
    Am I a TV addict??

edit: I watch a lot of news and sports, so 4 hours a day doesn't seem like a lot.

Zodiak on