As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Fallout Thread: Make Way for the New Fallout Thread~

• Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I just started the game. I installed it around 9:30. Played until about 2. Super good times. Darn sleep and work getting in the way of playing..

Is Fallout Vegas gonna be a seperate game, or another expansion?

Separate game, developed by Obsidian.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I had Dogmeat search for some food while I was in fairfax just playing around, and he ran off never to be seen again. I didn't get the edit that dogmeat is dead, but when I fast traveled to another location thinking that would have him respawn, he wasn't there. Checked GFAQS and it says he can run away while doing this crap. Is he gone forever or is there a way of finding him again?

I had something like this happen. Didnt relise Dogmeat was gone till I had traveled to Old olney and gotten about halfway through. I rested and was woken by Dogmeat offering me a combat knife. The Little fucker had ran half way across the wasteland to give be a combat knige.

Road Block on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I killed a Supermutant Behemoth yesterday...

With the Shocksword...

While invisible...

I love this game. I have done exactly 2 story missions, I'm level 17 and just wandering the DC wastes. Best Christmas present ever.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, how much content is there after the level cap? Its L20, right?

Which DLCs should or shouldnt I get?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

You should definitely get the Pitt. Operation anchorage sucks.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

With the Shocksword...

While invisible...

I love this game. I have done exactly 2 story missions, I'm level 17 and just wandering the DC wastes. Best Christmas present ever.

Be forewarned, the level cap is 20. Although realistically I can't say that really hampers anything, just that you won't get anymore skillpoints / perks.

subedii on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

You should definitely get the Pitt. Operation anchorage sucks.

Well, in all fairness Operation: Anchorage does have some extremely sweet rewards for slogging through it.

Minor spoilers;
    The Gauss Rifle is insanely powerful and looks awesome, Jingwei's Shocksword is obscenely powerful, the Chinese Stealth Suit is highly effective and has a really neat aesthetic, and who can say no to a suit of T-51b Power Armor?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    subedii wrote: »

With the Shocksword...

While invisible...

Be forewarned, the level cap is 20. Although realistically I can't say that really hampers anything, just that you won't get anymore skillpoints / perks.

I'm ok with that. I've heard all the bad talk about the story, I just like wandering the wastes. At some point I'll make a character* and try to finish the game, I'm just enjoying living my own Deathlands adventure.

*I'm thinking Tony Stark-esque or Doc Savage-esque. The Tony Stark one would be a pain until you get the power armor though...

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After a couple months off from this game I fired her up to start a new character. For some reason, it now runs less well on my machine than it did before. Settings are the same, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Did a new patch fuck with the performance somehow?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The most likely problem is your video card has been replaced with a squirrel.

Run a dxdiag to make sure that this isnt the case.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    dowondowon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chris Avellone will not work on Fallout: New Vegas until Alpha Protocol is released in October this year because he is currently the project director and lead designer on AP.

J.E. Sawyer is the project director and lead designer on F:NV now. He was co-lead designer on Black Isle's cancelled Fallout 3/Project Van Buren.

F:NV lead creative designer responsible for the story, characters and dialog is John Gonzalez. He had been the story director of Tom Clancy's EndWar at Ubisoft Shanghai before joining Obsidian.

dowon on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dowon wrote: »
    John Gonzalez. He had been the story director of Tom Clancy's EndWar at Ubisoft Shanghai before joining Obsidian.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

BlackDove on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My combat shotgun seems to be > minigun.

That doesn't seem like it should be right. Either way, I loves me some combat shotgun. How is the rail rifle that you can make after getting the schematics from the underworld?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My combat shotgun seems to be > minigun.

That doesn't seem like it should be right. Either way, I loves me some combat shotgun. How is the rail rifle that you can make after getting the schematics from the underworld?

The railway gun is great for literally nailing people to the wall.

Nothing sweeter than shooting a raider in the eye with the railway rifle, having it rip the head off, and the head AND spike go flying across the wastes to sink into a wall. Leaving a monument of fear to all who dare oppose you.

as for the Combat Shotgun, I love that gun to death, used it up until Lincolns Repeater, but holy shit does it degrade fast.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Miniguns are very high maintenance. If you don't keep them in good repair or have a high big guns skill, you're just wasting ammo. With both of those though, you'll be carving people to bits.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Minigun is over proced to use. You'll spend about 150 caps on every super mutant you off with it... But it's so much fun

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But once you have opened up the Pitt, the minigun falls to the other side of the spectrum. Very easy to keep armed, a quick run through the DC ruins will full repair it. Then your still carving people to bits, but its nearly freeeee.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    plus, it's always fun to be jesse ventura

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    But once you have opened up the Pitt, the minigun falls to the other side of the spectrum. Very easy to keep armed, a quick run through the DC ruins will full repair it. Then your still carving people to bits, but its nearly freeeee.

Why after the pitt?
    Does the ammo machine make 5mm?

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes to your spoiler Strikerkc, and that's why, you can convert any other shooty into it.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    a goddam sexual tyrannosaurus

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

*Spits*
    *Frowns menacingly*

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »

*Spits*
    *Frowns menacingly*

hey blaine, you're bleeding

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just made it to the outskirts of rivet city. If I did nothing but storyline stuff, how much do I have ahead of me?

I kind of want to proportion the side quest exploration to the conclusion to the finally. I find that if I get near the end of a game then do all the side stuff at once, I lose all interest in finishing the single player, and feel guilty, no matter how bad I hear the ending is.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just made it to the outskirts of rivet city. If I did nothing but storyline stuff, how much do I have ahead of me?

I kind of want to proportion the side quest exploration to the conclusion to the finally. I find that if I get near the end of a game then do all the side stuff at once, I lose all interest in finishing the single player, and feel guilty, no matter how bad I hear the ending is.

without spoiling, don't speak to anyone in rivet city unless you've already been to Galaxy News Radio.

you can go in and get the Int bobblehead, but don't talk to anyone.

If you are supposed to be in rivet city, I'd say...maybe 2/3rds of the main quest left.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I already went to GNR. I think I'll try to interspice every story location with 2 or 3 non story locations.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

without spoiling, don't speak to anyone in rivet city unless you've already been to Galaxy News Radio.

If you are supposed to be in rivet city, I'd say...maybe 2/3rds of the main quest left.
    I went to GNR, got the dish, went to the monument, but didn't install it. Instead I went to Rivet City. I think I can still go about the story almost as normal, I'm just taking care of the father stuff slightly out of the normal order, right?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Septus wrote: »

I went to GNR, got the dish, went to the monument, but didn't install it. Instead I went to Rivet City. I think I can still go about the story almost as normal, I'm just taking care of the father stuff slightly out of the normal order, right?
    Yeah, you're fine. After you install the dish, Three Dog just tells you to go to Rivet City.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Urrrgh, my current runthrough was going so well! MMM has been a treat (and cause of more than a few stupid deaths) and I've been able to handle playing at v.hard up until right now. I'm level 15 currently and just hit the metro area hard for the first time and we all know what that means: Super Mutant fun time! Except now I run in to fun things like 15 muties, mostly brutes and masters, waiting for me wherever I go with the occasional behemoth or gargantua thrown in. Ouch.

I guess v.hard with increased spawns really makes things interesting when you aren't dealing with 4 dudes on high vantage points with goddamn rocket launchers and miniguns. Sigh, time to turn down the difficulty for awhile... even 85% DR isn't cutting it when you get knocked down and killed before you can stand.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Drijen wrote: »
    Urrrgh, my current runthrough was going so well! MMM has been a treat (and cause of more than a few stupid deaths) and I've been able to handle playing at v.hard up until right now. I'm level 15 currently and just hit the metro area hard for the first time and we all know what that means: Super Mutant fun time! Except now I run in to fun things like 15 muties, mostly brutes and masters, waiting for me wherever I go with the occasional behemoth or gargantua thrown in. Ouch.

I guess v.hard with increased spawns really makes things interesting when you aren't dealing with 4 dudes on high vantage points with goddamn rocket launchers and miniguns. Sigh, time to turn down the difficulty for awhile... even 85% DR isn't cutting it when you get knocked down and killed before you can stand.

Sounds like you need stealth and Lincolns repeater.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yyyeah. When I have the chance to set up fights things go much better. Its the combination of close spawns to metros+increased spawns+respawning cells that seems to kick my ass. Zoning into Vernon Square or Georgetown is no fun. I guess I could up the respawn timer, it is a clash to walk around the waste and see diminished groups of critters or raiders fighting for survival only to go the bed for a few days and have the whole thing reset.

I also use a scoped Ol Painless in place of the repeater. I felt damn cheap rocking the game with it my first time through so I'm putting off acquiring it for now.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yyyeah. When I have the chance to set up fights things go much better. Its the combination of close spawns to metros+increased spawns+respawning cells that seems to kick my ass. Zoning into Vernon Square or Georgetown is no fun. I guess I could up the respawn timer, it clash to walk around the waste and see dimished groups of critters or raiders fighting for survival only to go the bed for a few days and have the whole thing reset.

if stealth and lincolns repeater won't work.

how about power armor, radx and some hot hot MIRV action? :winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Being in Rivet City doesn't break the main quest though. You can always go back and do the quest you bypassed, even though there is very little story line reason for it anymore.
    I always do it so I can get better reception from GNR.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Heh! I've taken the Fat Man for a ride a few times when I knew I'd need it on hand. Really it isn't difficulty of the kills so much as the sudden ramp-up in facing swarms of HW toting masters and brutes. I'm still having fun for sure, just less easy to survive as opposed to roaming the wastes and capping 15+ raiders.

Should also be noted that this is verrry far from a vanilla runthrough so some things are a little off (stims do regen over time versus flat boost is the most noticeable difference). I'm going through on my fourth complete character so far and still discovering new things so I have to say, even without mods, this is one of the most replay friendly games, outside of Black Isle/Bioware rpgs that I've purchased.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually I have a real issue to be figured out!

Does anyone know how to get FOMM to respect the video settings I choose using the default F3 Launcher? Right now I can get either A) FOMM loads all mods in proper order without issue but ignores my video settings or B) Load mods in odd order via F3Launcher but preservering optimal video settings . I'd love to play with the F3 settings but using FOMM to mange load order but so far I've not managed to get that happening.

Drijen on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use the mod manager and had an issue with that, too. I ended up setting the options through the falloutlauncher, starting the game, and then quiting out to get the settings to save. If you've tried that then you could probably edit one of the ini files.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'd say a good solid point to stop following the main quest is when ... (I don't really consider it to be a spoiler, but I'll put it in the tags incase some one does)
    ...the brotherhood sends you to little lamp light

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Minigun is over proced to use. You'll spend about 150 caps on every super mutant you off with it... But it's so much fun

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I use the mod manager and had an issue with that, too. I ended up setting the options through the falloutlauncher, starting the game, and then quiting out to get the settings to save. If you've tried that then you could probably edit one of the ini files.

Good call, I also just had to reinstall due to a dead HD so my original ini was hosed. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Every time I've played using the launcher to handle settings I've played through until I got a ctd, which would not have saved the settings.

Drijen on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just tried to update to v1.5 with the new patch that just came out and it crashed at the tail end of updating. Now the game crashes every single time I start it up. I uninstalled the game completely, deleted every file associated with it, and restarted the computer and the game is completely broken now. Every time I start the game it crashes 1 second into the intro screen. I don't know what the fuck to do I'm going nuts now because I can't play the game at all and it just won't work no matter what.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/