As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing new hard drive to replace dead one and I dunno what I am doing.

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
Okay, forget everything you read, I forgot to put in the power cord. I restarted the computer and it found the hard drive and I tried to boot from the same windows cd but now its running really slow and is stuck at a black screen after checking the system data. This shouldn't happen with a 2.5ghz dual core and 2 gigs of ram.

when there was no hard drive powered, the installation went wicked fast and got to the part where windows looks for hard drives in no time at all. Now it is taking much longer to go from the motherboard splash screen to the energy star and bios stuff. Then it sits at lines of code for a while and spools and then sits at the boot from hard drive for a while.

After it scans the system configuration it, take a long while and stay black.

and it still won't recognize the hard drive. ;_;

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm assuming you can see the harddrive in the bios? Also is this after you select the drive and partition or does it not get that far?

I've had this happen with a few different culprits. Once was a bad harddrive and the other I can remember was the IDE cable I was using was faulty.

Dixon on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    New sata drive? Did you set it in the bios for ide compatibility? If not, are you using the drivers for it on a floppy?

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is what I got.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

Appearantly it takes 10 hours for a 2 lb. package to get to Renton from Tukwila

I don't think bios can see it.

I get to this:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup
    ========================================

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the up and down keys to select an item in the list

*to se t up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

*To delete the selected partition, press D.
    | (There is no disk in this drive.)|

ENTER = Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You need to either slipstream the SATA drivers onto a new XP install CD using nLite, or use the F6 key to load the SATA drivers from a floppy disk (yes, a floppy, it's a pain) during the install. Are you doing either?

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    You need to either slipstream the SATA drivers onto a new XP install CD using nLite, or use the F6 key to load the SATA drivers from a floppy disk (yes, a floppy, it's a pain) during the install. Are you doing either?

Damn it:

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262

worked with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128034

until someone broke usb port and then a disk read error killed the hard drive. So how would I work the nlite thing?

When I go into the BIOs cmos features, all I see is
    >IDE channel 0 master [sony dvd rw aw-g1]
    >IDE channel 0 Slave [none]
    >IDE channel 2 Slave [none]
    >IDE channel 3 Slave [none]
    >IDE channel 4 Slave [none]
    >IDE channel 5 Slave [none]

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Only thing about nLite is that you need to have a working Windows box to run it on. What it does is rip everything off of a Windows install disk and let you integrate new stuff into it, like service packs and hotfixes that have been released since the disk was pressed, or drivers (the installation routine is modular, and the guy who made nLite knows how it works). Once you're done, you burn the image back on to a disk and use that as your install.

One thing its frequently used for is integrating the SATA drivers for a motherboard into an XP install, since lots of people don't use floppy disks anymore.

nLite instructions are here: http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

EDIT: Should have mentioned - if even the BIOS can't see it, something else is wrong with the drive, the motherboard, a connector, etc.

nlawalker on