As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOP Asks The Age Old Question - "Our bling bling be off da hook, dawg?"

1575859606163»

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    So.... you don't like pointing out Republican hypocrisy with a sarcastic tone?

I don't know about him, but I don't.

We get it already, the Republican Party is full of problems and is going through a tough time right now. What Rachel Maddow is doing isn't anything new or clever. Her show is basically like mental masturbation for the liberal democrats, so that when they lay their heads down at night they can feel like the good guys because they haven't had the chance to fuck up the country in the past 8 years and olol stupid pubbies. Fuck you Rachel.
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Truly, both sides lost with Russert's death.

Obs on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    See, the thing is, I don't mind political humour whatsoever, Jon Stewart's okay, Wonkette is great, but Maddow, not at all.
    Just not on the Rachel Maddow Show?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Obs wrote: »

We get it already, the Republican Party is full of problems and is going through a tough time right now. What Rachel Maddow is doing isn't anything new or clever. Her show is basically like mental masturbation for the liberal democrats, so that when they lay their heads down at night they can feel like the good guys because they haven't had the chance to fuck up the country in the past 8 years and olol stupid pubbies. Fuck you Rachel.

That's because you're a republican shil. Of course you wouldn't like your own hypocrisy thrown back in your face.

Most sane people would take Maddow leaps and bounds above anyone the Right has to offer.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On the other hand, maybe people who actually listen to the asshats on Fox News and the radio shows will say "Hey, people who talk shit like that are annoying, especially when they're actually accurate!"

That said, the more the current republican party can be marginalized by social forces, the better. There's room for a second party, but what's left of the republicans after the Dixiecrat+Religious Right merger isn't worth defending.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    See, the thing is, I don't mind political humour whatsoever, Jon Stewart's okay, Wonkette is great, but Maddow, not at all. I don't know if it's because the former are comedy, and she's a newscaster, or what, but she just comes across as, I dunno, bitter or hateful or something. There's no wit to it, no comedy, she's just rude. Or something like that.

Well, one of them is actively trying to make jokes, the other one is reporting on the news, in this case with a particular style. Having grown up on the Internet, her sarcasm is rather mild though it might seem totally out of whack if you're comparing it to CNN or 'mainstream' which tend to report the news like a robot.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    See, the thing is, I don't mind political humour whatsoever, Jon Stewart's okay, Wonkette is great, but Maddow, not at all.

I don't really know what you're saying here.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

The redheaded woman on the show, Ana Marie Cox? Can you guess?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

That's because you're a republican shil. Of course you wouldn't like your own hypocrisy thrown back in your face.

Most sane people would take Maddow leaps and bounds above anyone the Right has to offer.

I'm not a republican shill, it only seems that way because any where I post here it's like I'm surrounded by flaming liberals.

I don't really subscribe to any pundits, right or left. The republican pundits are generally stupid most of the time and the liberal ones are way too obnoxious.

Obs on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

people don't like people who point out all of their physical flaws and innuend it to mean they are bad people either.

if she had some actual jokes, she still wouldn't be funny... but im biased here in that i don't think political jokes and comments are that funny in the first place.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The redheaded woman on the show, Ana Marie Cox? Can you guess?

Haha whoops! Well, I've only read wonkette since well after she left, so I dunno anything about her humour style really, but it's pretty much my dislike of Maddow I was focusing on in that video.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm not a republican shill, it only seems that way because any where I post here it's like I'm surrounded by flaming liberals.

Not everyone here is a liberal. Some of us were republicans until the party became entirely fucked up and no longer worth allying with.

We just tend to agree with the liberals on the current issues because most of the people here want the world to be a better place, not simply for one side or another to win.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll just weigh in and say I find Maddow pretty annoying myself. She is not funny and her tone reeks of preaching to the choir. I mean, if you want to be the choir being preached to, okay, but I don't find it at all useful or entertaining.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I don't really subscribe to any pundits, right or left. The republican pundits are generally stupid most of the time and the liberal ones are way too obnoxious.

Your a shill because you support the republican party platform straight up and down, and yet I've never seen you be able to support a single one of those positions. Ever.

Regardless... it's almost axiomatic that in order to get ratings on cable news you have to be at least partly crazy and exceedingly obnoxious. Naturally, watching someone you agree with ideologically is going to reduce those feelings somewhat.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll be sick of people pointing out Republican hypocrisy when one of either two things happen. 1)They stop being hypocrites. 2)They have no say in policy decisions. Until one of either of those things happens, we need to be aware of who, on either or any side that has a significant bearing in government, is being nonrational.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009

You do realize we have quite a few conservatives and former Republicans that post here frequently, right? This board has a liberal edge, yes, but you're not exactly surrounded.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS9AGt0tlQk

This is basically what I don't like about Maddow. It's a long vid, but mainly the bit starting about about 1:00, and the interview with the redheaded woman at the end. I dunno, it just bugs me, so I generally avoid watching it.

It was annoying where she was derisive and was just saying that Jindal had wrong policy ideas without giving examples to back it up, but she did bring up several good points, the one I liked the most being what people said jokingly on this board was the Republican strategy:

Fuck up gov't so bad that future Republicans can point to it as an example that "all gov't is bad," even though they were the ones who fucked it up.

I mean, the failure to respond to Katrina adequately was because Bush took FEMA, a sort of national emergency crew for use in devastating natural disasters, much like firemen or paramedics, and literally filled it with political appointees who had no experience in emergency situations management. The ridiculousness of the argument is astounding.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was a registered Republican until 2006, though I never voted for W.

Most Democrats from the Midwest are Republicans who came to their senses and cast off the beliefs impressed on them by their parents.

edit: also I stumbled on this recently: Tax cuts! From 2006, it says. Huh.

zilo on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, are we defining Midwest in weird and ambiguous ways? Because a lot of Democrats in the Great lakes portion of the Midwest are union members or inherited their parents beliefs and the parents were union members.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    zilo wrote: »
    I was a registered Republican until 2006, though I never voted for W.

Most Democrats from the Midwest are Republicans who came to their senses and cast off the beliefs impressed on them by their parents.

For me, I was a republican until I heard W. use the phrase "Axis of Evil."

Something in my head clicked and I realized that he was an incredibly dangerous man to have in power, and I renounced the party right then and there.

My dad, a lifelong republican, dropped out of the party when we admitted that there were in fact no WMDs in Iraq, and that we started a war under false pretenses.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait, are we defining Midwest in weird and ambiguous ways? Because a lot of Democrats in the Great lakes portion of the Midwest are union members or inherited their parents beliefs and the parents were union members.

I guess when I think "Midwest" I mean Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Iowa.

edit: crap, this is not worthy of totp. I guess I'll post this thing on tax cuts again.

zilo on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From what I've seen of Maddow, I can't really stand her. She's far too sarcastic/snarky/zany/goofy, which are all awful things. And Olbermann is a grandiloquent ass. I haven't seen much of Matthews but I haven't minded him.

You have awful taste.

No, it is thee, good sir, who hath awful taste!

I can't bear listening to this sort of language for more than a couple of minutes, it is so grating.

I have absolutely no idea why you're on this board then.

You have to like Maddow and Olbermann to be on this board?

Clevinger on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, I operate from the "does your state have a member of the Big Ten Conference and you are not Pennsylvania?" version of the Midwest.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Maddow, I can't really stand her. She's far too sarcastic/snarky/zany/goofy, which are all awful things. And Olbermann is a grandiloquent ass. I haven't seen much of Matthews but I haven't minded him.

You have awful taste.

I can't bear listening to this sort of language for more than a couple of minutes, it is so grating.

Honestly I don't really care for them either. I AGREE with them most of the time, but I don't like their method of delivery.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »

You have awful taste.

He said "this sort," so it at least reads like he's talking about discourse from other forum members. add in the fact that this forum uses more sarcasm than pretty much any site, and it does beg the question.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    20040730h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    Here's the third - or maybe the second, chronologically speaking - installment of The Wandering Age: Last Rites. Of course, we need to thank Elbo for the translations in panels one and two - and we need to thank you, as the readers of a comic ostensibly concerned with gaming, for enduring our erratically sourced samurai epics.

It's just the summer con season condensing it all together, but we've been in a position lately to have people ask us what our favorite comics are. The fact of the matter is that I read far, far too many comics to present in a quick list, but it's easy enough to choose a few right off the top. Gabriel typically replies that he reads Spells and Whistles, PvP, and Copper. I'm with him there on the PvP, but as far as I'm concerned Scary Go Round is about as good as a comic gets - regardless of the medium. I'm also perfectly willing to say, as I have whenever a person asks me, that VG Cats is the finest gaming comic that currently exists. It is possible that it could be bested I suppose, but certainly not by any work currently in the genre. Sorry.

As a young man, Gabriel penned a whimsical yarn about a cat and a dog that lived together in an apartment. Well, it turns out that Tauhid Bondia - creator of Spells and Whistles - used to cook up a little something something prior to his current work called Suzie View, written by Erik McCurdy, which concerns a gradeschool auteur and her cinematic adventures. Six months ago, he had essentially shelved the concept and begun work on his current runaway success - and now, here come the syndicates, and they want to know if he'd like to put his work on Comics dot com. The notion is that if a comic is Comics dot com material, then it might be funny page material, and if you are producing funny page material then that means that you are really and truly a cartoonist.

This came up a little bit at Scott's Syndication panel. Being syndicated used to be the definition of success for a comic strips, those things were synonyms. That remains a valid way to do it, but there are absolutely trade-offs to that route that typically have to do with signing over a healthy portion of the rights to your work. You can do it on the web as well, I know several people who are doing it right now. The trouble is that you need to construct from a bizarre menu of methods a sort of "business" that can support you in this endeavor, and it's not going to be the same for everyone. Penny Arcade alone has been supported via four wholly unique systems since its inception, each one of them correct only for a discrete temporal span.

Getting back to Tauhid's magical phone call - that is actually how it happens, people. You set something down that you liked a lot, and then all of the sudden important people are like "wow, that's some cool stuff you were doing," even though you'd been doing the fucking thing for months and it never seemed to warrant their attention before. When they gaze down from their golden throne, it will strike you how serendipitous, indeed, how melodramatic and apparently contrived your successes can be. I know that many cartoonists, web and otherwise, read Penny Arcade from time to time, and hopefully you are reading today because this fact might bolster you. You won't know it's coming. Corollary: It might already be en route.

Please learn from our lessons though, don't waste your time reading contracts yourself and imagine that you know what the fuck they're talking about - if you're serious about making a living by your creative work, then it's time to be serious about protecting it. We're lucky that we can afford a lawyer now to shoehorn us out of our youthful indiscretions, but honestly, I'd much rather that we had never been indiscreet.

(CW)TB out.

i feel old and foolish now

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.