As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Road Trip!!

MishraMishra Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
The premise is simple my Cousin and I have 8 days to drive from LA to the Washington, D.C. Area. I'm looking for suggested routes/things to see. I leave mid - february and drive a Subaru Legacy. I welcome any and all suggestions.

"Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Pratchett
Mishra on

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mishra wrote: »
    The premise is simple my Cousin and I have 8 days to drive from LA to the Washington, D.C. Area. I'm looking for suggested routes/things to see. I leave mid - february and drive a Subaru Legacy. I welcome any and all suggestions.

grand canyon
    vegas
    chicago

if you want you can add a thousand different places but those 3 are the ones that come to mind as important stops inbetween.

Dunadan019 on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

grand canyon
    vegas
    chicago

if you want you can add a thousand different places but those 3 are the ones that come to mind as important stops inbetween.

If you have any intention of making remotely decent time, either Vegas or the Grand Canyon, not both. You're here in LA, Mishra, you know they're already in different directions. I'd suggest getting directions from Google maps or something, and then taking a look at what's near your route. From an initial glance, looks like starting with a peek at the Grand Canyon (cool! :^: ) on a straight line route. From there, it's either finding out about cool little joints along the way, or going out of your way and not worrying about making good time. I suggest going out of your way and not making good time, but I wouldn't do it.

chromdom on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    chromdom wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

grand canyon
    vegas
    chicago

If you have any intention of making remotely decent time, either Vegas or the Grand Canyon, not both. You're here in LA, Mishra, you know they're already in different directions. I'd suggest getting directions from Google maps or something, and then taking a look at what's near your route. From an initial glance, looks like starting with a peek at the Grand Canyon (cool! :^: ) on a straight line route. From there, it's either finding out about cool little joints along the way, or going out of your way and not worrying about making good time. I suggest going out of your way and not making good time, but I wouldn't do it.

Uh...no, they're not. The Grand Canyon (at least, the Visitor's Center in AZ) is directly east of Las Vegas, the only problem being you have to drive a couple of hours north to take the highway around the Lake Mead park area.

edit: Vegas is almost exactly on the way to the Grand Canyon from LA

Monoxide on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My bad. I thought the Canyon was a good bit south of where it is. Leaving from LA, I'd take different routes to get to each. Never mind!

EDIT: Yeah, they're close as the crow flies, but I was right, I would take different routes to each. I guess it depends on if you want to make good progress and see stuff along the way, or if you want to see stuff and don't mind making much progress on any given day.

chromdom on