As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CLUSTERFUCK ON] Wurm Online: PVP-Free Server Is Up, Again. Run for it!

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Bremen wrote: »
    I stay on GV, no PvP there.

(And no money for Rolf, since it appears he doesn't want it)

I think the comments from him on the front page say it all:
    Rolf wrote:
    I have hinted about it and written posts stating that the game would go in that direction. I did not give warning the day it happened. Not to the players, not to the staff. The obvious question is why not?

There is not one single answer to that question. The move was a mix of frustration, stress, enlightenment, timing and determination. I was not interested in discussing the decision at all. I got the feeling that it was time. It had to be done. When that happens I usually give in. I would gladly discuss things that I am unsure of but not this and not this time.

I hear that a lot of the nice players and staff members that make up the caring core of the home servers already have or consider to quit because they just don't want to be close to PvP. I respect that and I am glad if I made the decision easy for you. It is sad since if I had given warning and discussed it a lot of you may have stayed and maybe realized that you can cope with it. Some may even have started to enjoy the benefits the change will bring.

It is too early to let the vision be ruled by you the customer. I must have faith that I see things that many of you do not.

I hope that right now you assess the situation and take it for what it is. See if you actually do get raided and how bad it actually gets. If you don't do that I know you have good reasons for your decision.

Nice.

So wait wait wait.

"Fuck you guys and your money, I don't want it because I have a vision"

What.

So basically, he's decided to fuck the playerbase and make a game that him, and only him, will ever play?

This man has a vision, dammit and none of you sonuvabitch consumers will get in his way.

Biosys on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aww, that's a shame.

I remember playing this a few summers back, when we had the settlement that was way out in the middle of nowhere, and you essentially had to travel cross-country trying to follow a screenshot slide show while avoiding leg-fucking spiders, or swim for forty minutes and pray you didn't meet a bear or crocodile.

Good times were spent chilling with my carpenter homies, talkin' 'bout shafts, and you could dig it on occasion as well if there was a mining project going on.

I remember the exploration mining, and people yelling stuff over the chat to try and predict what was going to be found: "IRON!" "GOLD!" "MORE ROCK!" "ANOTHER TOWN'S MINESHAFT!"

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm just hoping that someone with talent and the ability to code in something less stunted than java will take the concept and make it into what it deserves to be. Rolf seems like a guy who let his little bit of code-writing ability go straight to his head, and you can see where its gotten him.

Also, Rainadoo smells like a buttpoop.

~Ferrat

Phant on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    He did recently ask in a poll if people would play on home servers completely disconnected from the others.

But too little too late, and the community doesn't need even more fragmentation.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I ran around looking for a new place to live

only to be horribly murdered by a croc

left with nothing, I began a suicide run on my corpse, never quite sure where it was

along the way I met up with gargoylez, who is a cool dude

he tagged along and vowed to fight said croc

getting there was a treat, we got attacked a half dozen times, lots of crocs, we eventually got overrun and had to bug out separate ways

croc followed me D:

got away, ended up with a medium wound, no body, no tools save for flint and steel

nada

suddenly, gargoylez tells me I can bunk with him until I get reequipped

and on the way there, we find out that he's actually got a place near him I can homestead on

which is TITS

everything works out nicely!

Raneados on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SoaL wrote: »
    he sounds like andrew ryan

Hey, I resent that.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If PvP wasn't so terrible in WurmOnline it might have been acceptable. As it is, the game rewards nothing but poop-sockers who spend 23 hours a day grinding mind-numbingly. The people "at the top" basically all exploited to get there. Every time Rolf would close one of these exploits he would literally make it about twice as hard to level that skill, meaning nobody could feasably reach the level of power the exploiters sat at.

So now instead of living a peaceful life of farming, digging, and building things out of rocks, you'll have everything you work for probably crushed and stolen by raiders, who you will never have any chance of defending yourself against unless you love staring at a menu all day hitting the same couple of buttons over and over again for 2-3 weeks in order to "catch up" to people that have no job or real-life obligations.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Hey, I resent that.

No, no, no, he said andrew ryan, not Andrew Ryan. It sorta drags on a little more.

Also, I remember fun times growin' hemp. Sad to see if that all gets burnt to the ground. It'd certainly be fun to build a village and defend it, but that would take much more of a commitment than I'd think desirable.

TO ANOTHER FREE SANDBOX MMO, PENNY ARCADE FORUMS! LET US MAKE HASTE!

Antithesis on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »

Hey, I resent that.

No, no, no, he said andrew ryan, not Andrew Ryan. It sorta drags on a little more.

Also, I remember fun times growin' hemp. Sad to see if that all gets burnt to the ground. It'd certainly be fun to build a village and defend it, but that would take much more of a commitment than I'd think desirable.

TO ANOTHER FREE SANDBOX MMO, PENNY ARCADE FORUMS! LET US MAKE HASTE!

There's always Second Life.

I'm so, so sorry.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    There's always Second Life.

I'm so, so furry.

Fixed for TEH HORROR

Also we can still build Wangtown on GV, it's just a matter of it being crowded as fuck and we'd need to scrape by with a skill/item/etc cap of 20ql.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    chicken^tonightchicken^tonight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So is it worth giving this a try? I'm intrigued.

Are people still playing on the free server?
    Have these changes had any effect on the free server?

chicken^tonight on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm all for going back to the free server, but I don't want to be there by myself. Our base camp hasn't fully deteriorated yet, and most of the mountain is still open, so we wouldn't be starting from zero again. Also, it seems my plan of cutting down all the fruit trees on the mountain worked and it's mainly lumber trees up there so we could resume our plan of building a mountain kingdom pretty easily.

Food on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so raiders came and wiped out our little town?

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    chicken^tonightchicken^tonight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright I'm going to have a poke around.

chicken^tonight on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To be honest, its not as bad as its being made out as.

Also, this is what Rolf has always stated he wanted for the game, he has never wanted a "PVP free server" despite making the home servers. He is now however considering making a completely separate server for "care bears".

People have been really hard on him for this one but this is just how Rolf is, this is his hobby, he has a vision for the game, nothing more nothing less. Basically his stance has always been one of "if you dont want to play dont play". Which I kind of respect at the end of the day. He's not being shady like a lot of devs, you can go on the IRC and talk to him when he is on during the day (well, his day, in europe.) even, more than I can say of even most indy projects.

edit:

Myself and Tamorlane both still hold villages on JK-H should anyone need a place to stay or a village to join. We're not going anywhere, the game has just gotten fun.

As a side note, horses, breeding, and mounts were introduced. You can also make bridles, horse shoes, saddles, etc for your pretty little pony!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have to say I was more disturbed by the implementation of the changes rather than the actual changes. Wilders in general are not going to waste 3 or more hours to travel to a home server hs to spend another hour catapulting walls just to get a few silver out of your token. Once the novelty wore off and the small cadre of dipshits that found ways to grief long before cross server raiding got bored, life is pretty much the same as ever. The cr disparity when crossing servers makes the thrill for wildgankers a little less meaningful. But the point there is there were always ways to grief on home, and there will always be those in any game that get a rush out of being asshats.

If anything I would say the change has added a bit of realism to the whole fantasy pioneer vibe. Not that 4 meter tall toons in a world where unicorns can brainmash you with one kick to the eye is trying to be all that realistic, but hey.

Tamorlane on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tamorlane wrote: »
    But the point there is there were always ways to grief on home, and there will always be those in any game that get a rush out of being asshats.

Imagine how much fun the next 4chan raid will be.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tamorlane wrote: »
    But the point there is there were always ways to grief on home, and there will always be those in any game that get a rush out of being asshats.

Imagine how much fun the next 4chan raid will be.

Well considering they have to be premium to play on JK-H now, since most of their accounts are going to be deleted oh so shortly, I'm not all that worried about it. Also JK still cannot just kill each other and raid each other on the home server. Only MR and HoTS get that ability, although severely weakened while doing so.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, I can't believe we have anything left at all on GV. Is the silver mine still going or did the gatehouse decay? Man I loved that place. I might pop back on sometime soon and do some repairs if things haven't gotten out of hand/some freeloader is in our mine rubbing himself against my amazing demon statues.

Trinis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Unfortunately everyone ran like rats from a sinking newbie server once you stopped making demon statues.

Last I saw GV was in massive shambles, but hey! Me and Tamorlane are still on the big boy server building our dirt castles and harvesting mad wemp yo!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Update: Rolf is closing the Jenn-Kellon Home and Mol-Rehan Home servers.

There will be a new premium server called "Freedom" that will be 100% non-PVP.
    Rolf wrote:
    My conclusion is that the best solution that aggravates the least of you and pleases the most is

1) We set up a new freedom lands that is totally non-pvp with possible griefing at a minimum.
    People will be able to use portals and sail there (if I can set it up) from any existing server. There are no skill losses. You can bring your money and 200 items on you and 100 items more in a boat. This should be ample to start up for one person and it is not a good idea to clutter the new database.
    You will be able to leave that server and go to the wild server later. In order to avoid accusations of exploitation your skills will be immediately reduced to a max (30) and you will not be able to bring any items. Then you will be able to raise them again of course.
    When more freedom servers are needed you will be able to travel between those.
    Portals from GV to the freedom server is opened.
    You loose kingdom setting when you get to the freedom server.
    There is no ore cap, no skill cap. The unique creatures will exist.
    Champions can not leave for this server. There will be a possibility to de-champ but the wild server will remain so there probably is no reason.

2) At the same time we declare that remaining players must gather on the wild server. The old home servers have various issues and will have low population.
    People will be able to use portals and sail there (if I can set it up) from the current home servers. There are no skill losses. You can bring your money and as many items as you wish because that is how it works already and I can not limit that today.
    The portals from GV to the current home servers are closed.

3) After a month the current home servers are shut down and you can no longer get from wild to the freedom server.
    The uniques on wild will respawn.
    The artifacts on wild will reset.

4) A new server type is going to be introduced called Epic or scenario lands. There is no current ETA but my aim is before the summer.
    The target audience for the epic lands is those who play mainly to have effect on the story of the game.
    It will be like a wild server in most respects but it will run a scenario engine (to be programmed).
    Every scenario will have a winner or a winning group that will receive some kind of rewards. Their names and what they did will be broadcast and recorded in game.
    A scenario drives the story forward and changes the setting of the game. They are randomly generated and the story moves in different directions depending on who wins.
    In every scenario the kingdoms and/or religions will cooperate to achieve their set goal. The goal may be to build something, change something, protect someone, destroy something, stop the other side. Things like that.
    A scenario will run for somewhere between 3 months and a year.
    A scenario may trigger natural disasters or even cataclysmic events. This may damage property, players and creatures and incur skill losses. These events will be rare - usually only when certain scenarios end.
    If you wish to join the scenario server from an existing server your skills will be reduced to somewhere around 30.
    You will be able to travel between scenario servers in case we need more. They will still all run the same scenario though.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That sucks for people who have invested a ton of time into their towns on the current home servers. At the same time, I find it interesting. I wonder if the population of Wild will really increase or if everyone who's on home right now will simply migrate to freedom. Next time I get the wurm itch I think I'm going to migrate to wild.

Food on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Splitting players up further (MR Home) and not having a safe server (PVP everywhere) was a mistake as Rolf has finally realized.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Freedom server is up. I've resubscribed to give it another chance, though I won't be playing nearly as much as I have in the past.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gots an email:
    Here are some possibly urgent Wurm Online news for you: We have added new non-pvp lands called Freedom where theft and attacking other players is prohibited.

This means that a lot of old players move there, abandoning other servers. These old servers (the Jenn-Kellon and Mol Rehan home servers) will shut down in two weeks, on the 15th of July around 13:00 CEST.

In case you have not moved your character already you should consider doing that as soon as possible, as otherwise we will transfer the account to the wild server on the 15th. If the account never was premium it will be deleted.

Migrating is an easy process, requiring you to log in and enter a portal that is usually closeby since there are lots of them around.

Those players who do not wish to enter the non-pvp lands should move to the Wild server instead.

There is an FAQ for this here with answers to most of your questions.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I notice he didn't mention you have to be premium to go to Freedom.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    thorgot wrote: »
    I notice he didn't mention you have to be premium to go to Freedom.

Actually he did, several times.
    Q. Will there be free accounts on Independence?

A. No, Free accounts will only be playable on Golden Valley

Q. I have a basic account on Jenn Kellon Home, will I be able to go to Independence?

A. You will have to upgrade to Premium to move your character on the premium servers.

Q. My character used to be premium on JKH, but premium time has run out. Can I move servers?

A. You cannot go to Freedom without buying premium first. If you do nothing, your character will be moved to wild, but you will need to buy premium to log in.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This might be enough to get me playing again, at least until I get bored again.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This might be enough to get me playing again, at least until I get bored again.

That's the spirit of Wurm! Join up in IRC, a bunch of us are playing.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unfortunately, I can't afford to go premium to get on the new server. So I guess I'll be stuck on Wild. Lame.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Joeslop wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I can't afford to go premium to get on the new server. So I guess I'll be stuck on Wild. Lame.

No you won't ...
    Q. My character used to be premium on JKH, but premium time has run out. Can I move servers?

A. You cannot go to Freedom without buying premium first. If you do nothing, your character will be moved to wild, but you will need to buy premium to log in.

cash grab, olol

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm guessing there's no map dump out for the new server. Where are people heading?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I'm guessing there's no map dump out for the new server. Where are people heading?

Tamorlane and Amikron have something somewhere. Zahrkon, Mouserecoil, Synold and myself are near (part of) Akhenaten at the far southwest corner of the map.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man looks like I will be getting some prem time to switch to freedom

:/

Raneados on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So if you make a new character, you're stuck on the tutorial land until you pay for x amount of premium and move to freedom, then you can stop paying and stay there with free account restrictions?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I heartell there are lots of stones to teleport

is there one near noriyah

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    apparently they are everywhere randomly :/

Raneados on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joeslop wrote: »

No you won't ...

cash grab, olol

Well yes. I'll be stuck on Wild, unable to log in until I get money to resub. At which point I'll still be stuck on Wild cuz you can't go between it and Freedom.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh god help me, what have I done

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Q. Will there be travel between the wild server and the Freedom servers?

A, Quite what travel will be allowed and how it will be implimented is still to be determined. Travelling will be limited in certain ways. This may include time limits, some of your skills may be reduced and maybe limitations on inventory. You may even have different skill and inventory sets on the different server types. Travelling back to wild from the Freedom Isles will not be possible till after the Home servers have been closed, at which point we will announce more details.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg