As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario & Luigi RPG 3: tag-teamin' with Bowser's internal organs against Fawful!

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And that final boss fight, albeit easy, lasted way too long. It didn't help that I was underleveled.

RockinX on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved Superstar Saga, but I still haven't played Partners in Time because it's still $50, and came out how long ago? I refuse to pay that much for a DS game. Even the used copies at EB are like $45.

elevature on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    I also hope we go back to the old special move system. Making them items was just annoying, and I loved being able to squeeze out more damage by slowly taking off the training wheels.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow Fawful is back? I wasn't sure he'd ever make a repeat appearance, but dammit he deserves it.

Also, I loved Superstar Saga, but couldn't bring myself to finish PiT. hopefully this one is a return to awesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love playing as Bowser (SSB not included). In Paper Mario 2, you'd see me jump in a pit to play the levels over and over.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Food wrote: »
    My main complaint with PiT was that it was a completely linear RPG. There was no backtracking or exploring or secrets to discover which was a big downer. I still thought it was pretty fun overall, though.

Now, this game looks amazing. Can't wait for it to come out.

Yeah, I couldn't stand that it went with warps instead of an overworld.

PiT just didn't feel right.

This one looks like they've honed it to a more creative level, though, so I'm pretty stoked.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't stand that it went with warps instead of an overworld.

I was trying to think about what let me down about PiT and this is it. Plus, the time traveling sounded fun at first because I thought each location would have segments in both eras, and doing different things in the past would influence the future areas. But surprise! All the exploratory areas are in the past, and there aren't a whole lot of them. Sure, it cuts down on traveling time, but it doesn't seem to flow as well.

The game was still fun, but bits and pieces with the presentation like that are what made it a little less memorable.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just hope there aren't superpowerful Bros. Attacks in this. I beat the first game without them because they were too hard to pull off.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I just hope there aren't superpowerful Bros. Attacks in this. I beat the first game without them because they were too hard to pull off.
    The Bros. moves were incredibly easy to pull off on the easiest setting. That's what I loved about it: you could still do them, but for the most damage you had to be good at it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm hoping Fawful doesn't get played out. He was great in the first game because that was all he was in. He's still great because he hasn't been tainted beyond that. If they ruin him in 3 then that's all that anyone is going to remember the game as. The game that ruined Fawful.
    Fawful was in Partners in Time, and was absolutely hilarious.

Edit, transcript:
    Fawful: I have boredom...Guests? Now I have...FURY! I say to you WELCOME! Welcome to Fawful's Bean 'n' Badge! In this place beans are like precious treasure milked from a famous cow made of jewels! All who come with beans leave with badges so rare they make mustaches droop with disbelief!
    Babies: (cheer)
    Fawful: What? The story of Fawful? Your words are not beans. I am not wanting them.
    Baby Mario: (jumps)
    Fawful: You are like brainless cats that are too dumb to know they are stupid! You have curiosity...but my tale is long, so long it makes babies old and hairy lips grow gray with aging. Do you dare hear?
    Babies: Um, OK.
    Fawful: Then now you listen! I am here, merchant of badges, only sometimes with fury, but once I had fury at all times. I drizzled rage dressing on the country next door. Rage dressing on a salad of evil! And then the bad men came. Red and green bad men. I had the punishment. Bad punishment with hammers and jumping on my head and the overheat of my ship. I have a little fury even with my remembering...Red! And green! A pair of jumping hammers in red and green who are looking just like you!

I HAVE FURY!

Those brothers of badness! My brain aches at their overalls! I have fury AND headache now! Fawful would be here, reigning over all and laughing at you! ...But no.

SO MUCH FURY!

Stupid mustaches! Hairs like the dirty tail of a horse in a barn built by a farmer who is crazy!

...I HAVE CALM.

(Fawful throws off his red cloak, revealing a white Elvis-like suit)
    I am waiting like an elevator. I have the commerce. I run Fawful's Bean 'n' Badge, but...the day comes soon when Fawful rises again, and then no baby's candy has safety! I am counting chickens before they are even eggs, before the chickens are even chickens!

I WILL! HAVE! FURY!
    I LAUGH AT DEFEAT!
    I FIGHT WITH RAGE!
    I HURT YOUR FACES!

Hooof... Heffff...D-Did I...have insanity?
    Babies: (surprise)
    Fawful: Did I...have evil? I suppress the fury, but sometimes... The fury has me. Red and green puts the fog of rage in my eyes, and my mind goes crazy.
    Fawful: P-Please... I will be fine. No worrying for Fawful. We talk of beans. Beans and badges... We begin trading! What are you wanting?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I couldn't pull any of them off on the easiest setting. I literally had to just use Jump, Hammer, and Hand.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm hoping Fawful doesn't get played out. He was great in the first game because that was all he was in. He's still great because he hasn't been tainted beyond that. If they ruin him in 3 then that's all that anyone is going to remember the game as. The game that ruined Fawful.

Edit, transcript:
    Fawful: I have boredom...Guests? Now I have...FURY! I say to you WELCOME! Welcome to Fawful's Bean 'n' Badge! In this place beans are like precious treasure milked from a famous cow made of jewels! All who come with beans leave with badges so rare they make mustaches droop with disbelief!
    Fawful: What? The story of Fawful? Your words are not beans. I am not wanting them.
    Fawful: You are like brainless cats that are too dumb to know they are stupid! You have curiosity...but my tale is long, so long it makes babies old and hairy lips grow gray with aging. Do you dare hear?
    Fawful: Then now you listen! I am here, merchant of badges, only sometimes with fury, but once I had fury at all times. I drizzled rage dressing on the country next door. Rage dressing on a salad of evil! And then the bad men came. Red and green bad men. I had the punishment. Bad punishment with hammers and jumping on my head and the overheat of my ship. I have a little fury even with my remembering...Red! And green! A pair of jumping hammers in red and green who are looking just like you!

I HAVE FURY!

Those brothers of badness! My brain aches at their overalls! I have fury AND headache now! Fawful would be here, reigning over all and laughing at you! ...But no.

SO MUCH FURY!

Stupid mustaches! Hairs like the dirty tail of a horse in a barn built by a farmer who is crazy!

...I HAVE CALM.

I am waiting like an elevator. I have the commerce. I run Fawful's Bean 'n' Badge, but...the day comes soon when Fawful rises again, and then no baby's candy has safety! I am counting chickens before they are even eggs, before the chickens are even chickens!

I WILL! HAVE! FURY!
    I LAUGH AT DEFEAT!
    I FIGHT WITH RAGE!
    I HURT YOUR FACES!

Fawful: Did I...have evil? I suppress the fury, but sometimes... The fury has me. Red and green puts the fog of rage in my eyes, and my mind goes crazy.
    Fawful: P-Please... I will be fine. No worrying for Fawful. We talk of beans. Beans and badges... We begin trading! What are you wanting?

I don't remember that at all. Maybe I missed it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

Edit, transcript:

I HAVE FURY!

SO MUCH FURY!

...I HAVE CALM.

I WILL! HAVE! FURY!
    I LAUGH AT DEFEAT!
    I FIGHT WITH RAGE!
    I HURT YOUR FACES!

I don't remember that at all. Maybe I missed it.

He was in the castle sewers, which you could only reach with the babies. He's the one you exchanged your beans with for the neato badges.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember bean exchanging but I completely forgot it was Fawful until now. I think that was a good use of him though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought PiT was okay, but it had a terribly predictable story that was always hinting at the obvious twist.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The problem with Partners in Time was that it went with the Final Fantasy school of boss design. That is, the bosses were huge sacks of HP that would take many rounds to destroy even if you knew an optimal strategy. In Superstar Saga, you could knock most bosses out in two or three rounds. Hell, you could OHKO the final boss with the right build. Hopefully this new game will go back to the punchier battles of Superstar Saga.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn, I was going to make this topic when I saw no one else had.
    I couldn't pull any of them off on the easiest setting. I literally had to just use Jump, Hammer, and Hand.

Indeed, that was my beef with the first game. That, and I was unaware that you could power up your special moves; I think it was mentioned early on, but not emphasized so much when you start getting them.

That, and the timing/hit detection on enemies was inconsistent; sometimes the timing would be when the Bros. aren't even touching them, while other times they were.

PiT fixed that, though. Bros. Items are tough to use sometimes, though.

And bosses take entirely too long in either game. They should at least show their HP, so you have a sense of progression, or an idea you're even doing the right thing.

Using both babies and adults in combat could be rough, though. And figuring out which Bro an enemy is going to fall on from the top screen is often nearly impossible.

Still, I preferred exploring with the babies than toggling between which Bro is in front and which move they had equipped; just getting from place to place in SS felt like a chore sometimes.

Also, SS had an ending that didn't even feel worth the time.

Speaking of which, I'm at the last level of PiT. Any pointers?

And to conclude, here are a ton of trailers, including Bowser sucking up Mario and the gang.

Edit: Damn, I guess GT embeds don't work here? Well, you can find the first videos here and the rest here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, I loved Superstar Saga, but couldn't bring myself to finish PiT. hopefully this one is a return to awesome.

I couldn't stop playing Superstar Saga, it was genuinely funny and a great game.

But then PiT wasn't particulary funny, and the combat felt tedious and monotonous.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The Bros. moves were incredibly easy to pull off on the easiest setting. That's what I loved about it: you could still do them, but for the most damage you had to be good at it.

I never had a problem with the Bro Moves, even at the hardest setting I could pull them off no problem 99/100. The one problem I did have was getting the bro moves to "advance", I never knew how to get them to do that, or what bonus I got out of it.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man I played the crap out of Superstar Saga, played it multiple times and got my characters to like level 50 and all eight bro moves. Hope no one missed the two secret bro spin attacks...
    Trus wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I never had a problem with the Bro Moves, even at the hardest setting I could pull them off no problem 99/100. The one problem I did have was getting the bro moves to "advance", I never knew how to get them to do that, or what bonus I got out of it.

What happens is that once you pull off a bro move successfully enough times (and maybe only on the hardest level, not sure) you would unlock the "advance!" form of the move. Then what would happen is at a certain part of the technique, you hit a different button (seen clearly on the low setting) and they would execute a different move with different effects. For example, the advanced version of Mario's jumping bro attack would create a spinning tornado jump which could hurt spiked enemies. Particularly handy in the Queen Bean battle... you could hurt her while she had her crown on.

Also I didn't mind slipping up a bro move. Mistimed attacks always had the brothers torturing themselves in various hilarious ways, sometimes I would have Mario mistime a swing or such just so he'd smash Luigi's face in.

Never got to play Partners In Time though... just never saw it in stores.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish they would give us a release date already. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haven't even played PiT yet as it's gone scarce/expensive, but this one looks rather more interesting regardless.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Holy cow! PiT is expensive brand new at Amazon! On eBay there are a few that are brand new going for 20+ and one that is going for 99 dollars.

What happened here? Are those $20+ pirated?

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I still need to find PiT....the completist in me makes me want to get through that one first.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Honestly I have no clue. I know piracy's rampant with GBA carts, but is it the same with DS carts?

I'd say PiT's worth $20, assuming it's not pirated.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I see PiT all the time for $25ish used, maybe people round these parts just have good taste?

I dont think the price means it's pirated. If the seller is in China though...

commathe on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stay away from Chinese/HK sellers. They tend to have lower-priced product, though. It's not uncommon, especially for Nintendo games, to never drop in price - see Mario Kart DS.

You should be fine. If you do end up getting a bootleg copy, just harass the seller, and you'll usually get your money back.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Stay away from Chinese/HK sellers. They tend to have lower-priced product, though. It's not uncommon, especially for Nintendo games, to never drop in price - see Mario Kart DS.

You should be fine. If you do end up getting a bootleg copy, just harass the seller, and you'll usually get your money back.

Well, I'm not looking for it, as I still have it on my collection. I was just asking why brand new copies were so ridiculously expensive.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You can buy a game-breaking badge from fawful, it's the most expensive and allows you to use infinate bros items. Then it's a case of spamming them all the god-damn time.

Personally I don't reccomend buying it, it really broke the game.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You can buy a game-breaking badge from fawful, it's the most expensive and allows you to use infinate bros items. Then it's a case of spamming them all the god-damn time.

Personally I don't reccomend buying it, it really broke the game.

I don't recommend buying it either for exactly the opposite reason. If you've got good offensive stats and are quick enough on the defensive commands, you'll do enough damage and spend little enough on healing items to have more Bros. Items in stock than you could possibly need. I'd invest the beans in the badge that increases damage given and received, which you can get two of for almost the same as you'd spend on one infinite-items badge. Put 'em on the big bros, use the babies as revivers, and you're set for the rest of the game.

Kupi on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never played PiT.... but Superstar Saga was pretty great, even though it kicked my ass. The final boss with the eyeball watching was a real pain.

This has my interest piqued, however.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My main complaint with PiT was that it was a completely linear RPG. There was no backtracking or exploring or secrets to discover which was a big downer. I still thought it was pretty fun overall, though.

Now that I can agree on. Also the 4 hour tutorials at the beginning was annoying too.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Now that I can agree on. Also the 4 hour tutorials at the beginning was annoying too.

That fucking suitcase!

Kupi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them. I'm so-so on timing, so that'll be a consideration.

Any particular overalls you guys recommend?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just talked to my local game store, and they have a copy of SSS so I told them to hold it for me. I figure I might give it another play through before I get this.

Now I just have to find PiT.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PiT is a tough one to find-- don't expect to find it new, either. In filling in my DS Mario collection, this was the hardest one to get, and perhaps the most expensive-- and that was used versus new.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm trading my copy of PiT on Goozex.eu if you happen to be a UK member.

It's as good as new (and yeah, it was a bitch to track down originally).

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Famitsu review:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=71551
    - Mario & Luigi 3 (9/9/8/9, 35 points): “no dramatic changes…The fun action and lovely pixel art of the previous game has been further polished, creating a game filled with the sort of fun only the DS can provide….would ask for a little more length…a great game, one that serves as an example of how games should be made.”

Great score. I'm even more excited. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not to get people less excited for the game, but Famitsu is notorious for basing its numerical scores on how well the game is expected to sell, and it's strongly implied that the reviews are flat-out paid-for.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't know about the majority of their scores, but I know that they have only given out 9 perfect scores before, so that at least shows they are more frugal than most websites out there, whom over the last couple of years have been giving perfect or near perfect scores to almost anything with any marketing clout behind it.

It's still a promising score. Even if the average score it gets is an 8 for being more of the same, I know that I'll like it based off of the wacky premise and humor alone.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!