As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adrift in an Ocean of Stars...

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    The fact that it's about 20 miles of walking around through conveyer belts and assinine gate 'mazes' is what makes it tedious.

And Meracle was easily the best melee character. Second best blindside, fastest on the field, and can steal. Still doesn't compare to the completely broken robot, but trying to use Edge after getting used to her was torture.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Don't worry, one of them is horrifically long and really really really fucking tedious.

I should be able to blow through it considering my usual habit of grinding every monster I meet into oblivion means I am level 25 or so (yes, I am not kidding). Minding, it does help when I'm getting 120% EXP :P

The boss in the Oracles temple was doing 2-10 damage per hit on me...

Edit: I'll just have to resist my usual homicidal tendencies towards monsters...

If you're trying for 100% monster data, you'll give up on the next planet. There's one enemy that just disappears after a while and there's another that shows up right at the end, only has 2 spawn points, and you need like 20 of them for the item. It's not worth it to get monster data rewards, seriously. Do you have a crappy item you could get right now? That's as good as they get. The only ones that are possibly good are waaaaaay down the line. I hear the thief items are okay though.

...not to mention that the bosses only give you 30% anyway?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't worry, one of them is horrifically long and really really really fucking tedious.

I should be able to blow through it considering my usual habit of grinding every monster I meet into oblivion means I am level 25 or so (yes, I am not kidding). Minding, it does help when I'm getting 120% EXP :P

Edit: I'll just have to resist my usual homicidal tendencies towards monsters...

If you're trying for 100% monster data, you'll give up on the next planet. There's one enemy that just disappears after a while and there's another that shows up right at the end, only has 2 spawn points, and you need like 20 of them for the item. It's not worth it to get monster data rewards, seriously. Do you have a crappy item you could get right now? That's as good as they get. The only ones that are possibly good are waaaaaay down the line. I hear the thief items are okay though.

Actually no, I had absolutely no idea you got stuff for them. I just homicidally murder every monster I encounter, it's just my "thing" and I love the games combat system. Grinding doesn't bother me at all in a game with combat this fun.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, but that's not too bad. You just have to pull save file trickery on them and fight them 4 times total. Actually since I never fought them, do post-game bosses have data that comes in at 30% too? That would be a pretty horrible thing to do and since it's a Tri-Ace game I imagine they did it.

Aegeri, good. Keep it that way. A lot of people, myself included, started out going for 100% monster data. I think everyone in this thread who went for it gave up at the mothership.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah, but that's not too bad. You just have to pull save file trickery on them and fight them 4 times total. Actually since I never fought them, do post-game bosses have data that comes in at 30% too? That would be a pretty horrible thing to do and since it's a Tri-Ace game I imagine they did it.

Aegeri, good. Keep it that way. A lot of people, myself included, started out going for 100% monster data. I think everyone in this thread who went for it gave up at the mothership.
    I didn't! Because I'm crazy :D

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Save file trickery?

I am completely lost as to what you are on about now.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Save file trickery?

Save your game in one slot, beat the boss, get the 30%, save your game in a new slot. Load your first save, beat the boss again, get another 30%, repeat.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    Save file trickery?

There's a master save that keeps track of shit like monster data and I believe battle trophies between save files. The developers were too lazy to pass stats on New Game+s, so they just made a separate file that all saves write to for that which gets updated every time you save a game.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ahhh. So that's how you can do it. I was wondering how on earth you were supposed to accomplish getting 100% for bosses.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, I blew through the mothership so fast they had no idea what hit them. Stupid aliens.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok, the story really fucks with my head. Not the SO4 story, but the Star Ocean canon overall.
    The Eternal Sphere is considerd canon according to tri-Ace. Now, the Executioners get involved in SO3 simply because mankind has evolved beyond the scope planned by the Eternal Sphere. That's it? Just because humans are smart, they have to delete the Milky Way?

What the fuck?
    Now, rewind to SO4. An extra-dimensional hive mind society is on the verge of wiping out life in the universe. They create a planet of pure fucking evil to house the Missing Procedure, and obliterate half of the Human and Eldarian fleets. Nox Obscurus is heading to Earth to glass it. The Executioners don't get involved to protect the order of the Sphere. Really? The universe is about to get destroyed and replaced, and they don't care if that happens in the Eternal Sphere?

WHAT THE FUCK?!?

Also,
    Is Welch a 4-D being? Bitch sure has been around a long time...

Sorry for the necro, but I'm finally able to use the search function!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yay search!

And as for you questions I have no clue. I got to the final dungeon and stopped playing for some reason....I dont know why honestly. I should finish this game. Oh ya know what? I think it was because I got fucked on a few side things and that bugged the hell out of me. Ill have to go finish it sometime soon.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nothing beats running the Wandering Dungeon to get to the B11, run around B11 for 4 hours trying to get a Philosopher's stone, then dying to a super-powered little alien...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Ok, the story really fucks with my head. Not the SO4 story, but the Star Ocean canon overall.
    The Eternal Sphere is considerd canon according to tri-Ace. Now, the Executioners get involved in SO3 simply because mankind has evolved beyond the scope planned by the Eternal Sphere. That's it? Just because humans are smart, they have to delete the Milky Way?

What the fuck?
    Its one of the most common recurring sci-fi themes that its the attempt to "shut down" burgening AI by humans (or whoever) to prevent self awareness, that typically leads to robotic/AI revolutions. It is the exact same thing here, the AI's in the Eternal Sphere become so self aware that they can more or less "will" themselves into literal existence in the 4D world. The runners of the "game" were trying to prevent this as it was likely an inevitable consequence. It's not too surprising or hard to understand.
    Now, rewind to SO4. An extra-dimensional hive mind society is on the verge of wiping out life in the universe. They create a planet of pure fucking evil to house the Missing Procedure, and obliterate half of the Human and Eldarian fleets. Nox Obscurus is heading to Earth to glass it. The Executioners don't get involved to protect the order of the Sphere. Really? The universe is about to get destroyed and replaced, and they don't care if that happens in the Eternal Sphere?

WHAT THE FUCK?!?
    I just assume it was a "world event" like the AQ opening in WoW or any other various world events in mmo's. The Eternal Sphere is more or less that, a glorified MMO; although I personally don't really think of the "twist" in SO3 as cannon, if I were to, that's how I'd view the events of SO4. The GM's just went a little overboard is all. Servers almost crashed and all that jazz. Then they nerfed Nox Obscurus in a hotfix so that it was defeatable. Or something. :lol:
    Also,
    Is Welch a 4-D being? Bitch sure has been around a long time...

Sorry for the necro, but I'm finally able to use the search function!
    I always thought she was just an AI anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, SO3 never happened to me. I mean it was a good game and all but really I just ignore the story.

Also, SO5 needs more PA and alternate endings!

revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hey so

so4.jpg

Eh. I guess if you didn't play it on 360 because you have a PS3 and you really want to play it, maybe you'll be able to. Supposedly this will have english and japanese vocal tracks, TARGETING, and new characters.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Ha!

HA!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh hey, I just bought this yesterday at K-Mart for $20. I think I'll play it next after I finish P4.

Schide on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly don't recall the targeting system being a problem in the 360 version, i guess i might just need to replay it to remember it since i have the occasional tendency to wipe particularly unpleasant parts of otherwise good games from my mind (see also that god awful platforming segment from GODHAND).

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    I honestly don't recall the targeting system being a problem in the 360 version, i guess i might just need to replay it to remember it since i have the occasional tendency to wipe particularly unpleasant parts of otherwise good games from my mind (see also that god awful platforming segment from GODHAND).

godhand had a platforming section? how? where? you couldn't jump!

Rust on
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey so

so4.jpg

Eh. I guess if you didn't play it on 360 because you have a PS3 and you really want to play it, maybe you'll be able to. Supposedly this will have english and japanese vocal tracks, TARGETING, and new characters.
    I look at the ad and I'm thinking "Man, who the hell are all these characters? They don't look like horrible soulless porcelain dolls!"
    I really wish that game either had anime-styled graphics or made the characters design to better fit the graphical style to not make them look like cosplayers gone awry.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Remember on Bald Mountain there was that one very brief part where you need to hit circle to jump across a few floating platforms? Probably not, because it was easily the worst level in the game. I'll see if i can dig up a youtube link.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Remember on Bald Mountain there was that one very brief part where you need to hit circle to jump across a few floating platforms? Probably not, because it was easily the worst level in the game. I'll see if i can dig up a youtube link.

ohhh, was that right before you ran into the doghouse for shannon's chihuahua? yeah i do remember that part

it kinda sucked but when i think of a part of godhand that made my veins pop they need to form a queue

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

ohhh, was that right before you ran into the doghouse for shannon's chihuahua? yeah i do remember that part

it kinda sucked but when i think of a part of godhand that made my veins pop they need to form a queue

The thing that made that particular part terrible was the fact that if you screwed up (i'm almost positive) it reset your heat meter , and as one might imagine, screwing up a platforming segment when you're forced to use tank controls is stupidly easy. Also link youtube behind spoilers as promised.

Blue map on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SE said ages ago that SO4 would probably go to the PS3 eventually.

Also for as much bitching as people did about the targeting issues in SO4 I never found them to be a problem. You could just set it to "near" or whatever the setting was and it would target what you were heading for instead of what the game thought you should attack. I suppose its nice that the international version supposedly has manual targeting though.

Not that it'd ever come to the states anyway. SE's "International" versions rarely, if ever, do.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    The international version is coming stateside.

Link: http://kotaku.com/5360991/star-ocean-the-last-hope-ps3-really-is-international

Nice news for the PS3 owners who wanted it i suppose.

Blue map on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would never take german voices off if I bought the international version.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As someone who bought this one 360...I warn you PS3ers...don't do it!

Well, you can do it...just not at full price.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

The game isn't terrible, it has its moments. And as goofy as the characters looked, some of the backdrops were pretty damn good.

That said, the story alone warrants a written apology, or a compensatory box of mints or something.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stolls wrote: »

The game isn't terrible, it has its moments. And as goofy as the characters looked, some of the backdrops were pretty damn good.

That said, the story alone warrants a written apology, or a compensatory box of mints or something.

I think your brain is trying to ease the pain and horror that game wrought by creating false memories. I can't remember any good moment in it all, 'kay.

God damn, it was really fucking horrible. It may actually be worse than Infinite Undiscovery, another tri-Ace game. That one was hard to top, but I think they managed it with SO4.

Of course, I've already mentioned this here half a dozen times. This thread keeps popping up every now and again for us to complain about the game. It must have really traumatized us that we can't forget it. :P

Edit: You are a sick person, Kaseius. It's either that or you're fucking with us. I can understand buying it out of ignorance like I did on release day, but a second time and at full price? You must like punching yourself in the balls.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I bought it for full price on 360 and will probably buy it for full price on PS3.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually the game is pretty good. The battle system is fun, the music is good, there is a decent amount of depth in crafting and story though it's nothing that would win a Pulitzer. Graphics are great and so is most of the level design. There is a lot of bonus stuff to do if you beat the game and want to continue playing, the characters all play pretty differently in combat making who you choose to control give a different experience.

But I guess it's easier to just declare without reservation that a game you don't particularly like must be terrible and has zero redeeming qualities period no matter who plays it.

I've all but decided that if Dashui and Dragkonias hate a JRPG I'll probably really enjoy it because their opinions are bad.

EDIT: Opinions on JRPGs. I actually tend to agree with Dashui on a lot of other things.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually the game is pretty good. The battle system is fun, the music is good, there is a decent amount of depth in crafting and story though it's nothing that would win a Pulitzer. Graphics are great and so is most of the level design. There is a lot of bonus stuff to do if you beat the game and want to continue playing, the characters all play pretty differently in combat making who you choose to control give a different experience.

But I guess it's easier to just declare without reservation that a game you don't particularly like must be terrible and has zero redeeming qualities period no matter who plays it.

I agree. The game itself was great. It's not without flaws (namely, having to backtrack constantly for crafting), but I enjoyed the 70 hours or so I put into the 360 version.

I doubt I'll buy the game a second time, but adding language options and removing having to disc swap would go a long way towards alleviating some of my issues with the game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have to go with Dragkonias on this. The game's pretty bad. I was really let down by it. The characters are completely retarded (and I'm one that usually likes jrpg characters), the graphics were horrendously bad at times, the music's barely passable, voice acting makes you want to slit your throat, and the script really WILL make you slit your throat. The only thing saving it even slightly is the battle system, and even that isn't really anything to write home about.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nah, I've played far worse than SO4, both in the genre and otherwise. Decent adventure through pretty areas with a sometimes-fun battle system with which I only occasionally had to grind. Filling the bonus board and rounding up sidequests scratched my obsessive-compulsive itch nicely.

I do, however, believe the story is uniquely horrible. I'm not even talking about bad acting, although that is a problem. A huge chunk of this should've been nipped in the bud while it was still on paper. It has moments where it seems like it's going back to sanity; I was ready to get right back with the story when a gross misconception was cleared up with
    30 seconds of black box audio tape correctly identifying who actually shot whatshisface's ship
    , but they just drag it on and on and on. And then in the next scene it becomes wordy and insultingly dumb, making me forget how close they were to an actually good twist.

In spite of this I wouldn't call it entirely without merit, but it was bad enough to where I can't in good conscience recommend it at anything other than bargain bin price, if that.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stolls wrote: »
    Nah, I've played far worse than SO4, both in the genre and otherwise. Decent adventure through pretty areas with a sometimes-fun battle system with which I only occasionally had to grind. Filling the bonus board and rounding up sidequests scratched my obsessive-compulsive itch nicely.

I do, however, believe the story is uniquely horrible. I'm not even talking about bad acting, although that is a problem. A huge chunk of this should've been nipped in the bud while it was still on paper. It has moments where it seems like it's going back to sanity; I was ready to get right back with the story when a gross misconception was cleared up with
    30 seconds of black box audio tape correctly identifying who actually shot whatshisface's ship
    , but they just drag it on and on and on. And then in the next scene it becomes wordy and insultingly dumb, making me forget how close they were to an actually good twist.

In spite of this I wouldn't call it entirely without merit, but it was bad enough to where I can't in good conscience recommend it at anything other than bargain bin price, if that.

I'll certainly heartily recommend it over Infinite Undiscovery. I can't recall who suggested this was worse, but I wonder if they're truly in their right mind. IU is just abysmal all-around. SO4 at least has challenging and sometimes fun gameplay behind all the dumb story.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll give SO4 credit for some of the characters. Sarah and Meracle were surprisingly engaging. Reimi wasn't bad, and I really didn't get that far with Myuria yet. All the men and Lymle can jump off a cliff, though. Especially Lymle. Can we get a bonus edition without Lymle?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Really? You liked Sarah.

Good god. She was the worst fucking one of the lot.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    I'll give SO4 credit for some of the characters. Sarah and Meracle were surprisingly engaging. Reimi wasn't bad, and I really didn't get that far with Myuria yet. All the men and Lymle can jump off a cliff, though. Especially Lymle. Can we get a bonus edition without Lymle?

How can you hate a scientist in a giant robot suit though?

Also, Arumat, whose character was lame, but in battle he was fucking amazing.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

How can you hate a scientist in a giant robot suit though?

Also, Arumat, whose character was lame, but in battle he was fucking amazing.

Right, he just didn't engage me as a character. Sarah just had a ring of believability to her. I've seen people hand-wring like that in real life. (As opposed to being emo animu, like say Estelle from ToV.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg