As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I loved it. You can tell it's Whedon because the show has a soul.

Hoz on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well...it was okay. Pretty much a FOX show more than a Whedon show to me though.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I like it, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like the show that Wedon wants it to be.

This was basically my problem with the pilot episode. It doesn't feel like a Whedon show right now.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like it, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like the show that Wedon wants it to be.

This was basically my problem with the pilot episode. It doesn't feel like a Whedon show right now.

I get the feeling that he's not really passionate about this IP and is doing it firstly for a paycheck and secondly to set up a good show for Eliza before possibly moving on to something more interesting like RDM while the show continues to run its course.

theSquid on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It felt pretty "Whedon" to me. As previously mentioned, it has a soul, which sets it apart from generic FOX drama #14.

More specifically, instead of using the premise merely for dumb episodic fun, it appears to be tackling its moral implications and its consequences on the show's characters head-on.

Sure, it lacked Whedon's trademark witty banter, but that may yet come. For now, I don't mind that he's trying to strike a more serious tone.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    I loved it. You can tell it's Whedon because the show has a soul.

Seriously?

I'm a huge Whedon fanboy and I thought this was pretty bad. Eliza was laughable as the hostage negotiator.

Most of the supporting cast was good though.

dead souls on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I don't know what 'it has a soul' even means.

The cast hasn't done anything to bring themselves together as a group of people, they feel too segregated.

I'd need to see more before this 'soul' thing comes into play.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I guess "soul" is kind of a vague, subjective thing, a more than the sum of its parts thing. But on a more considered level, as I said, I think it explores moral consequences and consequences on its characters--it's about more than mindless entertainment.

I suppose I can see the point about there not being the same camaraderie (between the cast members) as Whedon's other shows, but that's the nature of the beast when you have half the cast in a gray area between villain and protagonist, and possibly at odds in purpose with the rest.

But I really liked everything involving Langdon's (Echo's handler's) relationship with the rest of the cast, especially Echo herself.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not going to comment on the show in general, but I laughed out loud when the Asian Active
    came through the doorway and fired what looked to be a Desert Eagle with one hand.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I guess "soul" is kind of a vague, subjective thing, a more than the sum of its parts thing. But on a more considered level, as I said, I think it explores moral consequences and consequences on its characters--it's about more than mindless entertainment.

I suppose I can see the point about there not being the same camaraderie (between the cast members) as Whedon's other shows, but that's the nature of the beast when you have half the cast in a gray area between villain and protagonist, and possibly at odds in purpose with the rest.

But I really liked everything involving Langdon's (Echo's handler's) relationship with the rest of the cast, especially Echo herself.

I don't know, deleting a woman's freewill so she can be some rich bitch's Vegas fucktoy seems a little past gray area to me.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »

I don't know, deleting a woman's freewill so she can be some rich bitch's Vegas fucktoy seems a little past gray area to me.

Not as much so if she agreed to have all this done to her--guess it depends whether you consider this kind of high-end pimping "gray area". We don't really know the details, but the first scene suggests that she did sign up to be in the Dollhouse, to get out of some kind of trouble.

But I'd agree they're pretty despicable. Preying on people in trouble and essentially putting them into indentured servitude, in order to use their bodies to make money, and all that. Just not like, mustache-twirling black-and-white mine is an evil laugh villainy.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't know if they even tell their subjects the whole story.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That may be true. I'm intrigued to find out.

OremLK on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    By "soul" I mean that the show seems like it has a story to tell. It wasn't trying to sell me a chain of wow moments paced by the commercial breaks, and the arcs it proposes seem like they're going to progress naturally.

For a show that is soulless, watch Fringe.

Hoz on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    See there's discussion rather than outright dismissal, that's 7 notches above the average thing produced by Fox

override367 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whedon shows have never struck me as having "soul"

They've been vaguely clever, paced well, clearly witty and purposefully written, but they've never once felt real to me

The dialogue and the situations and the way that often times he'd have characters do something specifically out of character to surprise the audience (this happens a lot in Angel) always felt artificial and constructed. Even his run on Astonishing X-Men suffered from this

It's part of the reason I wasn't enthusiastic about this show to begin with (the other part being the premise)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hm... interesting. Why do you think that is? Not enough humor I guess?

Ugh, if that sounds really sarcastic or facetious, it isn't.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shit guys. This was pretty bad.
    I'm sticking with it for as long as it takes for the show to get good, but it better be fast.

zeeny on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aw, I really liked it.

It has real potential.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    Not going to comment on the show in general, but I laughed out loud when the Asian Active
    came through the doorway and fired what looked to be a Desert Eagle with one hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »

youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA

Yup. That clip was worth a giggle.

devoir on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lol

Fatherly types like Edward James Olmos.

I missed this because I was watching BSG. But Hulu's coming through right now.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The dialogue and the situations and the way that often times he'd have characters do something specifically out of character to surprise the audience (this happens a lot in Angel)

Hmmm...

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know, now that I think about it, Joss Whedon's female characters are sort of creepy

I mean Buffy was alright I guess, beyond the obvious "I have a fetish for teenage girls kicking ass" thing (I'm not sure though I never watched Buffy), but Fred from Angel and River from Firefly both had that plus a severe personality disorder that made them socially awkward and in River's case, almost childlike

And now with Dollhouse we have a whole show centered around women with no personalities or any real knowledge whatsoever

But maybe I'm reading too much into this, I don't know

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know, now that I think about it, Joss Whedon's female characters are sort of creepy

I mean Buffy was alright I guess, beyond the obvious "I have a fetish for teenage girls kicking ass" thing (I'm not sure though I never watched Buffy), but Fred from Angel and River from Firefly both had that plus a severe personality disorder that made them socially awkward and in River's case, almost childlike

And now with Dollhouse we have a whole show centered around women with no personalities or any real knowledge whatsoever

...huh?

Two female characters out of dozens are playing on a common archtype. I find Fred and River very different but I admit to some similarities between River and empty Echo but I suspect that has something to do with the very short time he spent writing for River. There were ideas surrounding the character which he wasn't given time to explore.

Josh is generally pretty good at having a wide spectrum of female roles. You can lob some accusations of sexism at him (Space Whores!) but that's just because he seem interested in discussing sexuality rather than merely exploit it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Joss seems to be more into girls than women, if that makes sense

valiance on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Hm... interesting. Why do you think that is? Not enough humor I guess?

Ugh, if that sounds really sarcastic or facetious, it isn't.

Essentially, but even further than that, it boils down to the dialogue. Whedon sets himself apart with his writing, and there was very little to the pilot episode that felt to me like he'd written it.

Whedon likes to play on expectations, and turn them upside down, usually for the sake of humor, but not always. He'll put his characters into a tough situation where you expect they'll fight and overcome, and instead they run away before the fight begins. Or he'll put two people into a stand-off with guns drawn, and when one begins to pontificate, the protaganist will just pull the trigger. Sometimes it can be as low key as a couple lines of dialogue, like Mal asking if Jayne wants to run the ship, to which Jayne replies yes. Not something Mal was expecting when he was trying to make a point about being in charge.

This episode didn't have any moments like that, and if it did, I didn't catch them.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What about Joyce Summers, Willow, Darla, Drusilla, Harmony, Lilah, Kaylee, Inara, and Zoe?

There's actually a lot more variety in Whedon's female characters than you suggest.

Essentially, but even further than that, it boils down to the dialogue. Whedon sets himself apart with his writing, and there was very little to the pilot episode that felt to me like he'd written it.

Whedon likes to play on expectations, and turn them upside down, usually for the sake of humor, but not always. He'll put his characters into a tough situation where you expect they'll fight and overcome, and instead they run away before the fight begins. Or he'll put two people into a stand-off with guns drawn, and when one begins to pontificate, the protaganist will just pull the trigger. Sometimes it can be as low key as a couple lines of dialogue, like Mal asking if Jayne wants to run the ship, to which Jayne replies yes. Not something Mal was expecting when he was trying to make a point about being in charge.

This episode didn't have any moments like that, and if it did, I didn't catch them.

There was the line about Slates, but that fell flat for me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    valiance wrote: »

Joss seems to be more into girls than women, if that makes sense

Yeah I gathered this from pretty much everything he's ever written

That's creepy enough on it's own without anything else adding to it
    What about Joyce Summers, Willow, Darla, Drusilla, Harmony, Lilah, Kaylee, Inara, and Zoe?

There's actually a lot more variety in Whedon's female characters than you suggest.

I never watched Buffy, Darla was just a bitch and I never liked her, Drusilla was also crazy, Harmony was a vapid blonde, don't know who Lilah is, Kaylee was also a girl but in a different and more endearing way, Inara I'm not sure how I feel about quite frankly because I found the whole companion idea sort of dumb to begin with, and Zoe was probably the most normal woman he's ever created so yeah I've got nothing on her

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Go watch Buffy's first episode. Is there really anything like what you suggest in there?

At this point we've been told the first few episodes have been written to be heavily episodic and repetitive to keep Fox happy. I fully intend to give Whedon time to develop these personalities and storylines to where we're getting the kind of writing we expect. Remember previously when he set up all these complex relationships off screen (Firefly) and slowly played them out....he was canceled.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Joss is more into starting with immature characters and letting them grow. Though it is interesting that while his shows often have a father figure, they never have a mother figure. EDIT: this is in regards to Joss and girls. It would be just as accurate to say he's more into boys than men. Sorry, I don't see the creepiness.
    (in Joss, that is. Obviously his shows make deliberate use of creepiness quite a lot.)

I was not much impressed with the pilot overall, and I was kind of distressed by the extent to which it blatantly appealed to sex. Most Joss shows give you an immediate grasp of the characters. This pilot followed Echo almost exclusively, and of course her personality gets wiped out. What was left was mostly sex and action, which Whedon has never been adverse to, but usually he makes them interesting because of the characters engaged in it. Here, the appeal was nakedly hot chic is hot. And I miss the humor. I don't think it's alienating at all; if you don't get it, then you never even realize it was there.

Liked the transition from Echo's first personality to Echo, though. Creepy and sad in a classic Joss way.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whedon shows have never struck me as having "soul"

They've been vaguely clever, paced well, clearly witty and purposefully written, but they've never once felt real to me

The dialogue and the situations and the way that often times he'd have characters do something specifically out of character to surprise the audience (this happens a lot in Angel) always felt artificial and constructed. Even his run on Astonishing X-Men suffered from this

It's part of the reason I wasn't enthusiastic about this show to begin with (the other part being the premise)

I dunno, on Buffy there are times when I could definitely see some of my friends or myself act similarly, normally when the main scoobies are bantering in the earlier series. Heck, one example is
    when Oz is doing his talk about the monkey and animal crackers to Willow
    , which we've had similar conversations before.

never die on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, I fully intend to watch the show through to it's conclusion. I do trust Whedon. These are just the reasons I didn't really care for the pilot episode.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, after watching the first episode, I don't have any interest to keep watching beyond figuring out
    who that naked guy was who killed those two people

and I don't know if that's enough, quite frankly

The whole premise is doing nothing for me and none of the characters have endeared themselves to me in any way, especially Eliza Dushku since her character is literally without depth, and really, depending on the angle, she's either pretty hot or a two-by-four

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Joyce Summers was a pretty awesome mother figure.

And Lilah was the female lawyer in Angel.
    The whole premise is doing nothing for me and none of the characters have endeared themselves to me in any way, especially Eliza Dushku since her character is literally without depth, and really, depending on the angle, she's either pretty hot or a two-by-four

Echo is without depth, but the personalities that are imprinted on her aren't, or at least don't have to be. Sure they're only around for one episode, but if you've ever seen a good anthology series you'll know that you can do a lot in one episode.

And of course she'll probably develop a personality of her own eventually.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I was thinking that as well but Joyce was typically either clueless or not present.

Not exactly a sterling Mother Figure there.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I was thinking that as well but Joyce was typically either clueless or not present.

And the idea of Lilah as a mother figure is pretty nuts.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I don't equate being a perfect mother with being a good fictional rendition of a mother, and I don't think you can say Whedon never did the character justice.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest Lilah was a mother figure.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't equate being a perfect mother with being a good fictional rendition of a mother, and I don't think you can say Whedon never did the character justice.

Also, I didn't mean to suggest Lilah was a mother figure.
    I am confused by what your response was then. Joyce is a mother in a work of fiction but she isn't really a Mother Figure. She occasionally does some of those things but in no way is she comparable to Giles and his role as a Father Figure.

DevoutlyApathetic on
This discussion has been closed.