As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey guys, Diagnose me. (probably a boring flu)

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I'm pretty sure this is a common flu/fever combination, but I get them so rarely that I just want to make sure it's not something else. SYMPTOMS:

1. Fever, waking up in a soaked bed freezing, that kind of thing.
2. Super soar throat, feels swollen.
3. This is the worst one: It hurts to move my eyes to any extremity (up down left right), immediate pain in the back of my eyeballs. Which causes:
4. Headache.
5. Stiff Neck, sore muscles all around.

I don't feel overly sick to my stomach, no diarrhea, no runny nose or cough, or anything else you'd associate with a cold. It's been going on for about 3 days. My head is clear, and I'm getting work done and all that, I'm just tired of the eye pain and the shitty sleeps.

Anyway, I imagine it's just a flu, if it doesn't get better I'll go see a doctor.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    you have a cold

"a flu" would be influenza and is much more serious

it's just a cold though

Monoxide on
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You've pretty much answered your own question; you're better off consulting a physician than some helpful folks on the internet if you are unsure. Again, only you know how you feel. You should be drinking a metric fuck-ton of fluids; water is great; tea is better if you get any nasal or chest congestion at some point.

It's been three days; have you noticed a marked improvement over those three days? Or have you been roughly the same each day? Has it gotten worse at any time? This should factor into your rationale for a potential doctor visit.

Everybody gets colds at one time or another. Don't let the cold progress into something worse by underestimating it or ignoring it. You're sick; get some rest. Don't try to get work done; the quality of your work is greatly decreased and you will use valuable energy that's best spent recuperating.

/end of contradictions -- only YOU know your body

Gaffero on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, I'm pretty sure this is a common flu/fever combination, but I get them so rarely that I just want to make sure it's not something else. SYMPTOMS:

1. Fever, waking up in a soaked bed freezing, that kind of thing.

This is a little more worrysome to me; a (real) fever with chills for 3 days is bordering on something I'd want to bug a real doctor about

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Your symptoms could really be quite the range of possibilities.

I once had a nasty headache and stiff neck, and brushed it off, but eventually went in. Oh, migraine, fine, off I went. Didn't go away...

Three doctors later I got diagnosed with meningitis. Serious stuff. In other words, don't risk it, let them look you over and rule out the obvious stuff and test you for the more troubling issues.

As was stated, if you're not feeling better in 3 days, that's doctor time.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you had unprotected sex lately?

I am not trying to diagnose anything here, but your symptoms could be the result of many things unrelated to flu.

See a doctor for a check up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_HIV_infection

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, it could also be Cthonian mind-worms.

Of course, what it actually is likely to be is a cold. Colds actually do make you feel like crap, even though they're common. Also I do not know what medical school you went to Gaffo but colds do not "progress". I mean, you could not treat any symptom and you'd feel worse than if you did, but it's not like the cold virus changes into HIV if you don't drink orange juice.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Fantasma wrote: »

I am not trying to diagnose anything here, but your symptoms could be the result of many things unrelated to flu.

hahaha, oh wow. Comedy gold.

you have one of the myriad minor infections that float around, most likely. If you live in the tropics there is a very slim chance that it might be something more serious, but a doctor's visit should pick that up as well as getting you some options for symptomatic relief and a doc's cert so you can stay home and recover. And do stay home and recover, no one else wants what you have ;)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes, it could also be Cthonian mind-worms.

Of course, what it actually is likely to be is a cold. Colds actually do make you feel like crap, even though they're common. Also I do not know what medical school you went to Gaffo but colds do not "progress". I mean, you could not treat any symptom and you'd feel worse than if you did, but it's not like the cold virus changes into HIV if you don't drink orange juice.

I don't think he's referring to the virus magically mutating, but I've definitely had minor colds that 'progressed' and helped contribute to causing bronchitis / sinus infections because I didn't take care of myself

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gdiguy wrote: »

I don't think he's referring to the virus magically mutating, but I've definitely had minor colds that 'progressed' and helped contribute to causing bronchitis / sinus infections because I didn't take care of myself

That's pretty much what I meant; I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on TV, and perhaps "progress" was a crappy way of communicating that.

What I meant to say was this: fatigue inhibits recovery. Fatigue invites other more serious pathogens to take advantage of a depressed immune system that is currently battling a minor cold. I did this to myself when I was recovering from pneumonia; I tried to get back to work after only three days of recovery and I wound up not clearing all of the original bacteria which allowed an antibiotic-resistant strain of psuedomonas to invade my lungs which later resulted in a long-term long infection as well as some irreversible lung damage.

To quote the crazy bell guy from Left 4 Dead, "better safe than sorry".

Gaffero on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    Fantasma wrote: »

hahaha, oh wow. Comedy gold.

you have one of the myriad minor infections that float around, most likely. If you live in the tropics there is a very slim chance that it might be something more serious, but a doctor's visit should pick that up as well as getting you some options for symptomatic relief and a doc's cert so you can stay home and recover. And do stay home and recover, no one else wants what you have ;)

Just to mine the other side of Comedy gold:

One of my employees came in thinking he had a a cold or mono. He had a check up due so he went to the Doc for that. A few Magic tests later: Leukemia. He has spent the last ten months getting chemo and will get a bone marrow transplant the middle of Feb.

Yes, you probably have a minor ailment that will run its course in a week or two. Sounds like a virus, and you will just have to wait for your body to whip it. However you need to pay attention to symptoms, do they get worse, stay, the same, get better? Then you can judge better if you need to see a Doc

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.