As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Real long HDMI Cable..

Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Please educate me on HDMI Cables. Im buying a Samsung ln46a550 TV soon and have a computer with a geforce 7900 about 25 feet away. Im looking to buy a 30ft HDMI cable so I can play video games and watch movies in HD on it. The TV is 1080p if that makes any difference. Im looking at www.monoprice.com because they seem to have the best price but the variety of products is confusing me.

Edit - I may be totally retarded.. it might be DVI cable I need?

Edit 2 - Seems I need a DVI to HDMI cable. Think I narrowed it down some with these http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10231&spcWord=Video+Cable+-+%3Cb%3EHDMI%2FDVI%3C%2Fb%3E&keyword=25ft. Anyone have any recommendations? Or maybe its something totally different?

What I do for a living:
Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
Liquid Hellz on

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For long HDMI cables alot of people recommend you go for a more expensive brand. Not sure if that card has HDMI but it probably has DVI.

Wezoin on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    monoprice.com

Also, instead of getting DVI to HDMI, get an HDMI cable and an HDMI to DVI adapter.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh, I have a HDMI -> DVI cable and it seems to work fine. (15' I believe)

I initially ordered a small 5' cable but it was out of stock so I got a free upgrade to the 15' industrial thing. Sweet deal.

Iceman.USAF on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh, I have a HDMI -> DVI cable and it seems to work fine. (15' I believe)

I initially ordered a small 5' cable but it was out of stock so I got a free upgrade to the 15' industrial thing. Sweet deal.

sure, it works just fine. But what happens if you ever change the device at the DVI end? Better to just get a regular HDMI cable and use an adapter. It's not going to cost much more at all.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »
    monoprice.com

Also, instead of getting DVI to HDMI, get an HDMI cable and an HDMI to DVI adapter.

Will the adapter degrade my video or audio at all?

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »
    monoprice.com

Will the adapter degrade my video or audio at all?

thing about digital signals is that they either work or they don't, so no

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're going to HDMI>DVI I'm pretty sure you're going to need a separate audio cable.

Atlus Parker on
    edited February 2009
    IM going from DVI(Graphics card) -> HDMI(TV).

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you want audio to come out of your TV you will need a separate audio cable from the computer to the TV.

I also second getting an HDMI cable and a DVI>HDMI adapter, because you can always use an HDMI cable (same reason outlined above).

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Here is the back of the tv im getting

32815315-2-300-DT1.jpg

What is that blue one at the top that says pc? My graphics card came with a dvi adapter that is blue and looks exactly like that. Will that transmit a digital signal?

Also what kind of audio cable should I use to go from my audio jack(onboard) to the back of the tv?

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's VGA. It's an analogue signal, but if you have a DVI>VGA adaptor you should try it out. However, you'll probably have better results with a DVI>HDMI connection, as they're both digital. Both VGA and DVI only transmit video.

At the end of the day, you want your signal coming in through HDMI to your TV. You can either get a DVI>HDMI cable, a long DVI cable and a DVI>HDMI adaptor, or a long HDMI cable and a DVI>HDMI adaptor. The cheapest and the best solution is the latter, as people have already said.

However, depending on your TV, you might not be able to select a different audio source for your audio while using HDMI, which means you'll need separate speakers or use the VGA connection.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I found a higher res picture of the back of your TV so we can read the input labels. Spoilered for huge.
    x305LN32550-b.jpeg

Assuming your onboard audio out is the usual 3.5mm PC speaker jack, you have two options:

1. Run a VGA cable plus a 3.5mm audio cable to the PC inputs on the TV. Monoprice has a cable which conveniently bundles these two, but the picture will be less sharp, because your video signal will be getting converted from digital (what the PC generates) -> analog (VGA connection) -> back to digital (what the TV displays).

2. Run an HDMI cable + DVI-to-HDMI adapter for video as others have suggested, plus a 3.5mm audio cable and 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter for audio, to HDMI 2 and the "DVI IN (HDMI 2)" audio jacks. This is more expensive, but it will give you the best picture.

Kevdog on