As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On Mutant Future] The Vault of Dr. Sinferno: Up Close and Personal

TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Critical Failures
Eutopia had been rife with rumors for several days. There was trouble on the Tradeway, Pigmen roaming about,and old timers telling horror stories about Doctor Sinferno. It wasn't too great a mystery, then, why the five of you were summoned at dusk to the wooden lodge of Eutopia's head honcho, Ernst.

Actually, the only mystery was that one of the five was the town's android.

Ernst had been the honcho of Eutopia for nearly a decade. A Rhino-man like half of the town's population,Ernst was a dwarf, with a short horn set into his head above a pair of flinty eyes. Respected for his toughness and pragmatism,Ernst had also led from the front, and his body was a roadmap illustrating his travails. He sported many scars upon his gray tough arms, was missing two fingers from his right hand,and had a wooden peg leg beneath his left knee; the last the result of an encounter with a Rapture raiding party in his youth.

Ernst sat in front of his hearth, fire smoke filling the modest dwelling. A gaunt, ancient plantman sat nearby, his bulbous head and stalks brown from age. This was Gell, quite possibly the oldest resident in Eutopia.

"Pigmen found Sinferno's old vault" Ernst began without any pleasantries. "Damned Sinferno. A'int no one ever seen his face ever lived! And he's been gone 30 years, but he still haunts the town like a bogeyman! "

The dwarf grunted then continued. "Some poor caravan driver crawled into town night afore last. Before he died, he told how he'd been taken prisoner by tha Pigs and taken to thier lair. Pigmen musta lost interest and dropped him. But he described tha area in tha Thornhills. Pigs found an' opened tha hatch to tha Doctor's buker."

Ernst spat into the fire."We can't let tha Piggies find any new toys down 'n there. They're bad enough now, but if they might find somethin' more dangerous,somethin' we can't fight against- that would be bad for us."

The honcho eyed each of you. "There's about a dozen or so Pigmen, from all we've gathered. Tha hatch is tha only way in. But....well, tell them what ya told me Gell." Ernst motioned at the plantman, who, with, some difficulty rose from his seat.

"I was a slave to Sinferno back then" Gell began in a fragile voice."Didn't see much of his lair, but I worked in area of natural caverns apart from the main bunker.' Gell closed his eyes.

"Sinferno had his guards place these huts, metal pyramids- in the caves that are in the Thornhills. They called them "honeypots", cause the pyramids were like doorways. A victim or creature would walk into it and zap! They appeared in the doctor's undergrond caverns, captured. Sinferno caught alot of victims for his experiments that way. It especially caught androids, cause androids could hear the hum that the pyramids put out when they got close."

Gell placed a withering stalk to his head, thinking."Supposed to be several of those pyramids scattered around. They were made to last forever from what the guards always said. Of course, they were a one way trip."

Ernst cleared his throat and with a somber look at the lone android, interrupted."I can't make any of ya do this. But we need to hit tha PIgmen, keep them away from any tech there, and if possible seal up tha hatch again. A frontal assault might be tough, but if these pyramid things still works, ya might be able get in unnoticed. Maybe."

"This town's got too many old folks and kids," Ernst explained. "Ya all got talents, and well, Aver here could hear tha pyramid thing and get ya in. Youre all we got, really. So I leave tha plan of attack to you. If ya want to do this."

Ernst stood, stamping his feet. Outside the winter wind whistled and green lightning flashed across the darkening sky. "And of course,according tha Code of Scavengers, you can keep anything ya find in tha vault."

"Its up to you."

Timbuktu on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Felix took a long draw off his pipe, allowing the smoke to slowly swirl and spiral out of his mouth.

    "Well, I cahn't say as I really care what the oinkers do with theh damn selves, but sounds like some loot worth takin' a look. Particularly as we've got us a fai' troop to travel with."

    "'Cept, perhaps, fer you," he said, taking a thoughtful look at Jacques and returning the stem of the smoking pipe back to his mouth.
    I'm going for a Brendan Gleeson thing with the accent. Hopefully I'll be not-lame at it soon. ;-)

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In a sunflowery voice Jacques responds to the jibe, "I'm here to keep you reactionaries from having to think too hard. Or maybe I'm just a walking salad bar. Who knows."

    As Jacques stops talking, a muttish dog appears from the entrance and approaches the sunflower giving a slobbery greeting as it sniffs and prods its way around Jacques' lower half. An audible sigh is heard from somewhere in the sunflower's immediate vicinity.

    JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Sounds cool to me , daddio."

    Fox leans back in his chair and smokes some more of a unknown narcotic

    "Working with these crazy cats, getting to kill pigmen, raiding a vault."

    He takes the blunt out of his mouth, and exhales

    "...Groovy"
    if you get to be Breendan Gleeson , I'm gonna be the Fonz...at least for the duration of this post

    Egos on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Garglamash couldn't begin to fit in the little building. Instead, he'd leaned down, and listened in through a window.

    When he spoke, his voice vibrated through the ground and the foundations of Ernst's dwelling. "To be rid of Sinferno," he said, "Would be reward enough."

    INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Old tech and evil mad scientists?" Aver-493 tapped her knee, eying the two old men in a way that was meant to look suspicious, but really came across as flirtatious. "Doesn't sound too bad at all. Maybe some proper tech would liven this place up a bit. Stop the neighbours from throwing rocks at me."

    Rainfall on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shaking loose the dog from one of its leg tendrils and putting down a rock, Jacques starts up again, the sunflower's voice an eerie singsong, "Oh yes. I'm no fan of pigmen myself. Although they make a good compost."

    JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ernst pauses to study Jacques's canine companion, before responding. "Good then. Leave t'morrow. Bad weather blowing in tonight..another acid rain storm I'd reckon. Get some sleep and keep yer heads covered."

    The honcho reaches up into a clay pot setting upon the mantle on the fireplace, retrieving a dusty bottle containing a metallic green liquid and bearing a dark label marked with the numbers "2044". With a wry smile, he tosses the bottle to Fox.

    "Synthihol" Frnst says, answering your unasked question. "Poor caravan driver had it in his pack. Carried it all tha way from tha Thornhills, half dead, and crawlin'. Figured it must be good. Enjoy it. "

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Felix's eyes track the Synthihol tightly on its arc across the room, narrowing almost imperceptibly as it lands in Fox's hand. The cartographer gives his pipe another pensive puff as one wing drifts down toward a flask hanging at his hip.

    He says nothing, however.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Thanks.." Fox looks down at the bottle in his hands and then back at the rhino man "..will do"

    He stands up and clicks his tongue. "Ok.... so sexy robot lady, giant tree guy, sunflower dude, and penguin something or rather..."

    "Off to see the Doctor? Or should we head out in the morning?"

    Egos on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "In tha mornin'. I need t'find meself summat ta drink along tha way. Unless, of course, you're sharin'." He taps the ashes out of his pipe, raising an eyebrow at Fox.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Another acid storm? Damn, my toys are going to get all wet." Aver stands up and heads for the door. "I'll see you boys tomorrow morning, when we get started." She waved, and headed outside, quickly moving to the back alley where she kept the small technology tidbits she tinkered with on slow days, scooping them up and placing them inside a small chest.

    Rainfall on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fox eyes the rhino penguin and then looks down at the Synthihol in his hand.

    "Hmm'

    He forces smile "You know you could just straight up ask for a shot."

    Egos on
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The storm passes leaving little behind but a few puddles upon the ground and the tang of metal in the air. The day promises to be clear, a welcome proposition for the start of your expedition. Like most days in the Wasteland, it also promises to be hot.

    In the Wastelands, the cycle is always the same-very hot days and equally cold nights. While winter may be stormier, and summer prone to drought, little else changes. But this day at least will be dry.

    You each grab your gear and head for the town's main gate. The Thornhills lie a little less than 15 miles to the northwest, but none of you have ever been to the Thornhills. The reason for this was simple. No one ever goes to there.

    The Thornhills are a series of steep rocky hills covered by a dense congregation of acacia thorn trees. The trees form a kind of thicket, making travel there difficult. The trees also camouflage the fissures and caves scattered about the hills, and the locals would add, give monsters many more places to lurk.

    These reasons, combined with the lack of any treasure laden ruins (Sinferno's lair excepted) helped the Thornhills remain mostly unexplored.

    At the gate, a group of townspeople gape, having heard of your task. A few cheer as you head out the dirt road which will wind down the side of the plateau and out toward the rolling brown grasslands that stretch beyond the Tradeway.

    (Mutant Lord note: Please give any last minute planning, marching order, and intentions along the journey as we head out)

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jacques follows the sun on its quick ascent into the morning sky, driven by a primordial sunflowery urge. As they march out of the city Jacques ends up at the rear of the column even though John the mule is being atypically cooperative. With invisible eyes on the road ahead and a tendril on the crossbow's trigger, Jacques moseys along with the others.

    JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A steady cloud of tobacco smoke marks Felix's position in line, as he uses his mutation to manipulate the light waves around him and mask his presence. The futility of hiding himself, but not his tobacco smoke, has obviously escaped him.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The hours pass uneventfully, until by midday, the party approaches the dark mass of the Thornhills. The dense, shrouded hills spill down before you some 900 yards away to the north.

    As you approach you all become aware of movement in the treeline of the hills. Ten figures appear.
    All move slowly- almost shuffling; their arms out before them. From a distance they all appear human, pale skinned, and dressed in tatters.

    And borne on the wind, you all seem to hear the sound of moaning coming from the ten.

    (Mutant Lord note: Please declare your actions. Initiative to follow. Also, I'm sending a PM to Rainfall. And remember movement as well as weapons ranges in the wilderness change from feet to yards).

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Oh, bugger." The steady emission of tobacco smoke ceases.
    I'm moving over to the side, away from the party, still invisible. They're 900 yds away, right?

    Also, loading my sling. I can use that as a mini-flail in a pinch, right?

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Oh no! Zombies!" Aver gasped, pulling out her crossbow. "Wait, what's that buzzing sound? Does anyone else hear anything?"
    Drawing and loading my Light Crossbow, but otherwise staying next to the really big tree that has the most chance of defending against a horde of zombies.

    Rainfall on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Garglamash pulls his sword from its sheath (actually just a tiny hole in the side of his trunk.) He groans, or something. It's a plant sound.

    INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fox was hardly a fan of the primitive technology of the future, so he isn't much of a fan of the current long bow he is sporting. But nonetheless he readies it and aims at the group in front of him.

    Realizing he is the closest thing to a human representative of the group, he yells out at the approaching "zombies".

    "HALT ! Stay where you stand!"

    He looks down a bit momentarily, he isn't used to being assertive
    "umm"

    He raises his voice again

    "State your business and such"

    He looks down again and whispers to himself "ugh that sounded lame."

    Egos on
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As you each prepare yourselves for this new threat, the ten figures continue shambling forward. At an almost glacial pace, the figures move about 40 yards. Fox's call is either ignored or misunderstood.

    And then... the figures disappear.

    In a blink the figures materialize around the party. At least seven of them do. Only 30 feet away, you can now make them out clearer-lifeless eyes; decaying pale flesh with exposed bone showing in various parts of their otherwise human-looking bodies; cadaverous arms outstretched; and from their moaning mouths a thick bright green liquid issues.

    Only seven of the figures appear. Four in front of you all, one each on your right and left flanks, and one behind.

    After a beat another appears, materializing into the tree Felix has taken shelter behind. Its torso sticks out of the tree at an angle. With a loud "uhhhhhhh" the creature stops, motionless.

    The final two materialize behind you, in the same space at the same time. This has a violent effect as the two join together. After a quick shudder, the two explode with a loud pop!, showering the area with body parts and limbs.
    Ok, im slightly changing the combat/encounter system slightly. I'll roll for init first usually. The declare before initiative works on the table top, but not so much on PbP. I'll still resolve things as per the rules with move, missile, mental and melee.

    Anywaay. Your turn. Seven enemies left. Link to rolls.

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is a startled exclamation, somewhere in the general vicinity of the tree-bound zombie, of "FUCKYERMOTHER!" There is some rustling and scratching from an unseen source. And then?

    EDITED :
    Attacking, which will make me visible again. Damage = 2.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Stay away! I won't taste good!" Aver aims a shot at the zombie nearest to her, putting her back against the giant mass of tree she stands by. "This is dangerous!"
    Attack roll, Damage roll (1d20 1=18, 1d6=5) That +1 is for close range, not for any kind of dex bonus.

    Rainfall on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Korin seems taken back by surprise as one of the zombies appears in front of him, and his immediate instinct is to let loose the arrow. Which naturally flies straight toward the automaton's emotionless face.
    attack roll- 1d20 → [18] = (18) ; it may be 20 if i get +1 from Dex and +1 from close range.
    damage roll - 1d8 → [1] = (1)

    le sigh

    Egos on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jacques, fighting the dog that has suddenly taken an interest in crossbows, manages to jerk the thing free from its grasp. Grumbling can be heard from somewhere in its vicinity as the sunflower lets loose a bolt toward whichever zombie has already been shot at the most, hoping to make a pincushion of it.
    Attack and damage with +1 for short range.
    1d20+1=15
    1d6=2

    JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Who," Garglamash acts, encroaching towards the nearest of the monsters arrayed before the party, "attacks ... a tree?"

    And then he yells, in a rumbling voice, as he swings his huge sword at the creature: "Who!"

    INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To hit roll: 18

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lithely climbing the tree while cursing Felix perches himself and fires his sling at one of the monsters. The concentration required for this causes him to become visible, but his shot finds its mark.

    Korin, Aver, and Jacques likewise fire off sucessful shots, although the damage from these missiles is not enough to stop the creatures.

    Garglamash, finally stirred to action swings his great sword at one of the attackers. The blow is mighty enough to cleave the creature nearly in twain, leaving a bright green stain upon the ground.

    Initiative

    The attack by a nearly 20 foot tree works upon the zombies, as if stirring some long dormant memory of gigantic, tree weilding plants. They all hesitate, their undead morale shaken.

    Then, one by one, they blink out, disappearing.

    The area falls silent, except for the rushing of the wind and the sound of Felix in the tree.

    In the sky the sun beats down promising at hot day to come.
    490 xp awarded to each.

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Good," Garglamash exclaims, eyeballing the viscous green blood on his sword. "This is how you win a fight."

    INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Leaving behind the corpses of your lifeless foes, you head off northwards and enter the thick forest of the Thornhills. Aver leads the way, herself led by the hum in her head.

    For over an hour, you wind north and west over the broken hilly ground, fighting the thick mass of the forest all the way. A direct, straight line path is often unavailable, causing many detours around impassable sections and backtracking across steep hills. Each of you gains more than a few scratches from the thorny branches. Garglamash suffers the most, as his height causes him to get hung up in many branches the rest of the group passes beneath safely.

    At the end of the hour, you have covered perhaps a mile, although your exact position is difficult to pinpoint. Your only clue as to whether you are getting closer to your destination is Aver.

    For the android, the hum in her ear seems to raise in pitch and volume, which by trial and error shes interprets as a sign of closeness to the pyramid Gell mentioned. She follows the aural clues until suddenly the noise becomes quite loud, almost to the point of being uncomfortable.

    You each stand behind a stand of tall trees on the lip of large gully formed by violent erosion from the winter rainfall. It is square shaped, about 50 feet wide and long, and 20 feet deep. Smaller, shallow trails from water runoff lead into and out of the gully from the west and east.

    The bottom of the gully is rocky and muddy, but clear of any vegetation save for a 12 foot long deadfall log that lays in the center of the depression. Trees from the forest crowd around the lip of the depression. This geological landmark, however, is not what gets your attention.

    Each you each see a large network of webs, trapezoidal in shape, hanging like a curtain from the trees on the opposite bank of the gully and anchored on the deadfall log below you. The web is made up of many strong looking cables of webbing that is obviously the result of dedicated labor. Many smaller groups of webs anchor it to the ground and cover the opposite bank, obscuring the ground there and giving the whole edifice a solid looking base.

    But even that is not the most attention grabbing sight.

    At the center of the web lays the prostrate form of a pink skinned Suidoid. Dressed in simple brown clothes, the mutant pig lays unmoving, its breathing shallow. Its four arms are bound behind its body, its eyes shut.

    In Aver's head the hum remains constant.

    For Rainfall/ Aver:
    In your head, the hum, far from being painful, is almost a source of fascination, pulling you forward.

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Korin quickly searches through his backpack and pulls out his spyglass. Raising it up to his right eye he gazes through and observes the suidoid.

    "He or it..seems to still be alive....So we aren't dealing with a black widow..."

    Korin continues to look around "...unless he got attacked recently.."

    searching for any sign of the bug.

    Egos on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Fuck. Spiders."

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TimbuktuTimbuktu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Korin scans the area. Through his spyglass, he sees movement off to the north about 100 feet from his position on the other side of the gully.

    Through the thick mass of trees and branches, Korin spies two figures clad in olive drab green crawling slowly toward the gully's edge. Korin only sees it for a second before it disappears out of his sight.

    Timbuktu on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Korin collapses his spyglass and pockets it in his backpack. He points to the edge of the gully.

    "There are two things hiding around that area...they looked like devourers..but I couldn't really tell."

    He glances back at the suidoid stranded in the web.

    "Are we going to try and help him or do we want to just avoid the area all together?"

    He asks the group, but mainly looks up towards Garglamash

    Egos on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Only two, ya say? Ah, we can take 'em.

    O'course, we could alsa just run the fuck away."
    Activating my neural telepathy to see if the pigdude is awake and coherent enough to talk. If he is, asking him if he can tell us what's living in this gully.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aver glances at the others, then down into the web-filled gully. "The buzzing is coming from ahead of us... we've got to go around or over. I don't like spiders, though. Maybe we can work our way around?"

    Rainfall on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Come on," Garglamash groans in his low, treesome voice. "Spiders are nothing, and webs cannot stop such as ... me. The rest of you will probably die."

    With that, Garglamash stomps onward, toward the pigman and the web.

    INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Hey, wait!" Aver runs forwards, grabbing onto Garglamash just before he enters the gully. "Shortest way past is through, right? I guess I'll stick with you, then."

    Rainfall on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Felix sticks close to the tree as well, though he has gone invisible and silent again.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In a moment of awkwardness, Korin looks to the sunflower besides him and shrugs.

    Egos on
Sign In or Register to comment.