Options

College or a mentorship?

2»

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    film is not nearly as big a requirement as it was even 5 or 10 years ago.
    Unless you are a fucking prodigy with technology, ignoring an entire subset of your profession is retarded. Think I'm gonna be a Shakespearean actor? No. Is there a reason for me to study it? Damned right there is.

I'm not IGNORING it, and I could pick up a film SLR and use it just fine within a roll or two of experimentation before any job that'd actually require it, since so much translates over directly. Now, I couldn't pull off, say, a medium format as easily, no. But that's also beyond the scope of an average class.

EDIT: And I have backup plans. They basically amount to "have enough to live for at least a month or two in savings before I get out of here", "look for a day job if all else fails", and "keep enough for train and bus fare back home if everything utterly shatters at once and it's either that or find a cardboard box in an alleyway".

That's why every college has classes in medium format and large format photography. Additionally, college gives you access to a studio and advanced lighting instruments. Although I'm sure the shelter will let you put up a white sheet and a lightbulb.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My point is more to assume that things will work out, because the assumption of failure does not aid me in the decision process. If every potential path is theoretically successful, then it can be judged purely on the grounds of where that success will take me, which is the important part. Because I'm stubborn enough that I WILL make it succeed once I'm all for something, no matter what it takes, as long as my passion keeps flowing.

Maybe it will help you if you can answer this.
    What is success?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My point is more to assume that things will work out, because the assumption of failure does not aid me in the decision process. If every potential path is theoretically successful, then it can be judged purely on the grounds of where that success will take me, which is the important part. Because I'm stubborn enough that I WILL make it succeed once I'm all for something, no matter what it takes, as long as my passion keeps flowing.

What is success?

Being able to live purely off of doing what I love, and have enough cash to enjoy my less economically viable hobbies on the side(read: Videogames).

Beyond that and love, everything else is just gravy for me.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I didn't want to go here... but if those are the best examples of your photos in your signature, you need a lot of work. The composition of the first two is not good... like, at all.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Also, I didn't want to go here... but if those are the best examples of your photos in your signature, you need a lot of work. The composition of the first two is not good... like, at all.

The Flickr's just where I shove anything that's decent, it's hardly a portfolio selection.

But yeah, I'll admit those ones are rough at best. If you'd like a proper explanation that would probably lead into a long, angsting rant about my life, PM me. I'd like to keep this thread focused.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What is success?

Being able to live purely off of doing what I love, and have enough cash to enjoy my less economically viable hobbies on the side(read: Videogames).

What do you love doing? Do you want a studio? Do you want to shoot for magazines? National Geographic? Vogue? Sports Illustrated? Do you want to do headshots? Do you want a gallery? How much do you need to be making? What area do you want to live in? Do you want a family?
    You gave a supergeneric definition. You need to give yourself a concrete goal and a personal definition of success. If "taking pictures of anything and everything" is enough, then I don't think you will make it anywhere.
    Unless you expect to be a reality TV star, then you need to figure shit out. Sure, maybe not now. But at some point you will. Might as well start thinking about it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

What is success?

What do you love doing? Do you want a studio? Do you want to shoot for magazines? National Geographic? Vogue? Sports Illustrated? Do you want to do headshots? Do you want a gallery? How much do you need to be making? What area do you want to live in? Do you want a family?
    You gave a supergeneric definition. You need to give yourself a concrete goal and a personal definition of success. If "taking pictures of anything and everything" is enough, then I don't think you will make it anywhere.
    Unless you expect to be a reality TV star, then you need to figure shit out. Sure, maybe not now. But at some point you will. Might as well start thinking about it.

Well, I enjoy doing weird, creative stuff, so I know typical portraits are out as a focus(not to say I won't do them, I just don't want to do them instead of other stuff). National Geographic is beyond me, I don't have delusions of grandeur.

I suppose what I'd like to do most is to do stuff for more local magazines, freelance for newspapers if they still exist in 10 years, blogs, the creative community, etc. etc. etc. Portraits, unique landscape work, some still-life...That kind of stuff. There are some more genres I'd like to experiment with, like food photography, which I intend to do to see if they'd be interesting to me, but I know I work better with stuff that's less pre-planned and more on-the-fly, or at least more about the moment.

I'm not a huge fan of studio work. I prefer being out on location where I can work a little more loosely and wildly.

That help?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This is to help you. Where you end up professionally probably doesn't affect me too much... unless you do headshots!
    Why not contact some professionals in the fields you are interested in and see how they got there, what that field requires different from others, and what suggestions they have.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This is to help you. Where you end up professionally probably doesn't affect me too much... unless you do headshots!
    Why not contact some professionals in the fields you are interested in and see how they got there, what that field requires different from others, and what suggestions they have.

Will do. Thanks for at least getting me to think this all through.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Your welcome!

Improvolone on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where is an aspect I can't entirely figure out yet, as I don't even entirely know where I'm going to be going. SF is likely, and I've thrown out some feelers, but that could change before it's time to actually bail.

Let us just assume, for the sake of argument, that I CAN find one. Okay? Logistics are a concern after I have made my decision and built my plan, not before.

No, they aren't. But good luck.

They are for me. I figure out the results of potential success, then I figure out how to get to that point, not the other way around.

And Improvolone, sorta. I'm leaving with a friend this fall when her college efforts begin, so because my plans are pretty fluid right now, it all depends on when she leaves and where she gets accepted.

If you're going to follow a friend to wherever they go to college it doesn't sound like your plans are fluid at all. If you're serious about photography go wherever you'll be able to learn the most. You can always make new friends after you move.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Treeloot wrote: »
    Where is an aspect I can't entirely figure out yet, as I don't even entirely know where I'm going to be going. SF is likely, and I've thrown out some feelers, but that could change before it's time to actually bail.

Let us just assume, for the sake of argument, that I CAN find one. Okay? Logistics are a concern after I have made my decision and built my plan, not before.

They are for me. I figure out the results of potential success, then I figure out how to get to that point, not the other way around.

And Improvolone, sorta. I'm leaving with a friend this fall when her college efforts begin, so because my plans are pretty fluid right now, it all depends on when she leaves and where she gets accepted.

If you're going to follow a friend to wherever they go to college it doesn't sound like your plans are fluid at all. If you're serious about photography go wherever you'll be able to learn the most. You can always make new friends after you move.

Go take a look at some of my previous threads. To sum it up quickly, making new friends for me is...Not exactly an easy and well-practiced task. So I'm using what I can to improve my situation and hit the ground, if not running, at least not breaking both legs on impact.

yalborap on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have heard of mentorships like the one you're hoping to get. They're usually little pay, 10-20 hours a week, and offered to college/art school students.

oldsak on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Treeloot wrote: »

Go take a look at some of my previous threads. To sum it up quickly, making new friends for me is...Not exactly an easy and well-practiced task. So I'm using what I can to improve my situation and hit the ground, if not running, at least not breaking both legs on impact.

If you want to be a photographer, you're going to need to learn how to interact well with people you don't know and make friends. Do you think anyone will want to hire an extremely awkward photographer for portraits, wedding photos, or other commission based work?

When it comes down to it social skills are often more important than actual skills in getting and holding a job. Clinging to someone you already know is not going to help you.

Treeloot on