As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On]Recession Proof Games

h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
What I'm looking for are games that can hold your attention for more then a day. Can be any system but am looking for the usual $19.99 price and under. Some great games that have been suggested by PA and have meet and exceded my expentations:

PSX - Heart of Darkness
Saturn - Astal
PS2 - God Hand
oXbox - Strangers Wrath
360 - Earth Defense Force 2017
Xbox Live - Castle Crashers

Recommend On ....

Coolest Guy I Know
h8b1llg8ts.gif
sig.gif
MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
h8b1llg8ts on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Civilization of any variety.

Dwarf Fortress.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    EriicEriic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Garry's Mod (absolutely the best $10 you can spend if you enjoy sandboxy creation games)

Audiosurf (fantastic if you're into music)

Mount & Blade (fun indie action/strategy game. normally $30 on steam, but seems to go on sale often)

Titan Quest Gold (includes the original TQ and its expansion pack. nice diablo clone)

any MMO game (arguably the cheapest form of video game entertainment when factoring hours/cost)

Eriic on
    ^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Picross DS , if you can find it, will last forever and probably cost about 5 bucks. Puzzle Quest has great replayability. If you go PC, go get Civilization 4 or Galactic Civilizations 2.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Astal was a beautiful game. Hmm, sounds like you want something visceral, challenging, and immediate from that list...have you played Crackdown (360)? It's like GTA, but doesn't beat around the bush and has fun controls. I'd also recommend Shiren the Wanderer for the DS, since it's a brilliant roguelike that I've been playing off and on since last spring, but you probably won't be able to find it for as cheap as you'd like.

Wait, nevermind - get shiren if you have a DS. Thank me later.

Since you seem to like harder games, maybe Ninja Gaiden 2? If you've got the chops to stick with it, it's an extremely rewarding game that will make you feel more badass than just about anything else.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Garry's Mod is on my To-Buy list for when I repartition my drive.

There's Disgaea for a bunch of systems (namely PS2/3/P and DS), and you cannot go wrong with some GTA, like ever. Or Burnout in its various iterations.

Senshi on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    civ4 is the only game i've ever played from lunch until breakfast the next day

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you enjoy platformers i cannot recommend N+ highly enough, it only costs 800 MS points and i have easily put 20+ hours into it.

Failing that i would suggest either Odin sphere or Dead rising, although those titles are generally somewhat divisive so i wouldn't suggest either one of those two those without some caution.

Edit: While you're at it you might want to download the original N as well. Link: http://thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pretty much any high quality XBLA, Wii Ware, or PSN title will give you tons of enjoyment for a dirt cheap price.

And it's a little over the $20, but since I've seen Civ 4 recommended so many times, I have to recommend Civilization Revolution. The single player game is a lot of fun, but online multiplayer is one of the funnest things I've ever played. It's usurped Civilization 4 as my favorite Civ.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Burnout: Paradise

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    If you enjoy platformers i cannot recommend N+ highly enough, it only costs 800 MS points and i have easily put 20+ hours into it.

Failing that i would suggest either Odin sphere or Dead rising, although those titles are generally somewhat divisive so i wouldn't suggest either one of those two those without some caution.

Edit: While you're at it you might want to download the original N as well. Link: http://thewayoftheninja.org/n_downloads.html
    http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html

I was into N before you were

Senshi on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunno if it's your cup of tea, but I paid a pittance for a new copy of Dai Senryaku Exceed and got a lot of time out of it (turn-based military strategy)

$15 here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dai-Senryaku-Exceed-Military-Playstation-2/dp/B000SH3XIG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1233615470&sr=8-1

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't this just a little more than a poll thread of favourite games that aren't full price at the moment?

Rook on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morrowind. Make sure you mod the hell out of it.

Burnage on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Also, buying a game using the Source engine will let you play any of the mods that use it, which is excellent.

jothki on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you have a Wii you can get one of the best games ever, Super Metroid, for $8. What a steal!

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was playing Transformers for PS2 all weekend. Not the movie game, but the one released in 2004 by Atari made by muthafuckin Melbourne House (now Krome Studios Melbourne). Its a surprisingly hard game that requires lots of sneaking around and planning strategies, plowing in guns ablazing will usually get you killed. Its an astoundingly great game and can be had for under $10 these days. Plus its got Transformers in it.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Civ 4

Say goodbye to your life.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alpha Centauri & Master of Orion 2

Both old, both cheap and both fantastic.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Banjo Kazooie XBLA. It's so addicting.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Since you seem to like harder games, maybe Ninja Gaiden 2? If you've got the chops to stick with it, it's an extremely rewarding game that will make you feel more badass than just about anything else.

Don't do this, get Ninja Gaiden Black on the oXbox, its a much better game and it'll be far cheaper.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Don't do this, get Ninja Gaiden Black on the oXbox, its a much better game and it'll be far cheaper.
    I would say otherwise, but it is definitely cheaper.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, Best Buy did have NG2 for $10 a few weeks back, but that's done with. You could get it for $15 if you find a copy at Target.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »

I would say otherwise, but it is definitely cheaper.

Ninja Gaiden 2 has:
    less entertaining bosses
    A worse camera
    More cheap spammy shit (fuck you multi-rocket soldiers)
    Stupid bow sections

Ninja Gaiden Black doesn't

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Battle For Wesnoth, same game I praise a lot. It's a hex-based wargame that started as a huge campaign with multiplayer and has grown into a huge collection of huge campaigns plus multiplayer.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd recommend Deadly Rooms of Death, it's a turn-based puzzle game involving manipulating monsters to solve puzzles and eventually slaughtering them, and it can get very difficult. There's a fuckton of player-created dungeons, some of which are very good, and all of which can be played just using the demo version. Buying the full version just gets you an official dungeon and access to a few additional level styles, which are purely cosmetic.

jothki on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Company of Heroes. CoH or CoH: Opposing Forces are available for $20 each (or $30 for them both!). Both games are stand-alone, but if you want to play on-line (which you do) you can only play as the factions in the game you own (Wehrmacht or Americans in the original CoH or Panzer Elite and the British in OF). You can still play against people with whatever game you don't have.

This is, without a doubt, the best strategy game currently available. I will rethink that when DoWII comes out officially, but they're so different that it's almost an unfair comparison. I've spent the last 4 months playing this game regularly, discussing strategy with co-workers and friends. It's the best $30 I spent in 2008.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hearts of Iron 2 (Or any Paradox game) is great for sinking time into.

Arrath on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's been said a couple of times, but Civilization 4. The first time I ever skipped school was due to Civ2, because I completely lost track of time to the tune of seven hours. It was 2:15 in the afternoon when I came back to. Naturally, I grabbed an alarm clock, set it to go off 5 minutes before my mom was expected home, and feigned illness when the school called. Thankfully, 4's got an option to display a clock. It was worth the upgrade alone.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Under $20, huh?

Can you do Gamecube? F-Zero GX and Super Monkey Ball 1 and/or 2.

Got a Wii? Geometry Wars Galaxies, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, and Blast Works.

Can you use the Virtual Console? Contra III: The Alien Wars.

Don't have a Classic Controller? Any of the NES Super Mario games, Kirby's Adventure, and Bubble Bobble.

Got a DS? Worms 2: Open Warfare.

Can you find GBA games? Mario Golf: Advance Tour.

Lots and lots of replayability in there.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GOD, people, do I have to be the one to say it?

Beyond Good and Evil.
    You're welcome.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A year's subscription to gametap would provide access to a large number of high quality games, including ones mentioned in this thread, at the cost of around 5$ per month. If you're not concerned with permanent ownership, but content/$ it may be worth considering.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Beyond Good and Evil.
    You're welcome.

Don't get me started ... With Gamestops discountinuation of all things oXbox I have found myself dropping at least 10 bucks everytime I walk in. And there are 5 of them within 5 miles of me. Some of my great additions last week were:

Armed and Dangerious
    MechAssult 1 & 2
    SNK vs Capcom
    Capcom Collection
    XMen Legends 2

I'm now at 130+ games because of them ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Beyond Good and Evil.
    You're welcome.

Its a good game, but it doesn't really have a lot of replay value in it and its quite short.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I played 55 hours in 7 days when it was released.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

I played 55 hours in 7 days when it was released.

Is that the one were the servers are all ready shut down? I don't understand why they do that. And why didn't someone tell me TWISTED METAL BLACK SERVERS WERE SHUT DOWN!!!!

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh, no. Burnout Paradise servers are definitely still up. It released 1 year ago, and Criterion, the developer, are releasing a major update to it this week. The servers aren't going anywhere for a while.

Renzo on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Beyond Good and Evil.
    You're welcome.

Its a good game, but it doesn't really have a lot of replay value in it and its quite short.

His request was for a game that would hold attention for "more than a day". I guess if you spend 24 hours feverishly attempting to finish the game without doing any of the side activities whilst glancing at GameFaqs now and then, then yes, you can finish it in a day. I've replayed through it three times since it came out, but I guess most don't have the predisposition to finishing linear games more than once that I have.

joshofalltrades on