As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Spammers

• NeoflyNeofly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Checking my "interests"......

Not a spammer.

Neofly on
  • Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    so i guess changing my intrests to sport would be a bad idea

Carl with a K on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    so i guess changing my intrests to sport would be a bad idea
    and traveling back in time and preventing people from PMing you :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Out of mild curiosity.

What is so different about these forums?

Externally they don't seem that different from your average phpBB forum. The only really different things I can think of are the Real Spoiler tags and the Jail system.

If you can't answer that because of some rule about keeping secrets I understand. :P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Alphamonkey is actually integrated into the core of the servers not unlike the commander in Homeworld

That would explain why he takes so long to respond when the servers are mucked up.

I kid, I kid.

stigweard on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait a minute.... we have interests?

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Hamju wrote:
    Wait a minute.... we have interests?

Look in your profile

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    stigweard wrote:
    Alphamonkey is actually integrated into the core of the servers not unlike the commander in Homeworld

That would explain why he takes so long to respond when the servers are mucked up.

I kid, I kid.
    OH BRUN

Kaputa on
    edited November 2006
    Out of mild curiosity.

Externally they don't seem that different from your average phpBB forum. The only really different things I can think of are the Real Spoiler tags and the Jail system.

If you can't answer that because of some rule about keeping secrets I understand. :P
    Security modifications. The infamous slogin and chash mods. Tons of performance patches. Damn near all of the database queries have been rewritten by someone who has more database experience than a seven year old. The template system is cached, the configuration table is cached, and I introduced use of MySQL query caching / expiration / delayed inserts. I rewrote the BBCode parser to specifically not suck. User permissions have been revoked and remodded. We added a granularity to forum permissions and the ability for mods to have more powers than mods at most boards. A lot of misc. fixes support for clustering, etc.
    Plus about half a dozen easter eggs :wink:

I'm missing some but its late and I have turkey to make in the AM :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    don't forget the deputy system!

Is that code still present in the forum, or did you just rip it out like some poor, unwanted child?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I bet the ninja assassin code's in there somewhere, just waiting for the right time to strike.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    forgot to mention the AI subroutines. Current estimates, the forum will become self-aware around.. August 29th 2009. Luckily, because it's not hooked up to any ICBMs, we'll most likely just get a few 500 errors and the occasional sass when posting replies.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited November 2006
    darleysam wrote:
    forgot to mention the AI subroutines. Current estimates, the forum will become self-aware around.. August 29th 2009. Luckily, because it's not hooked up to any ICBMs, we'll most likely just get a few 500 errors and the occasional sass when posting replies.

With our luck the forum will take on the characteristics of Borfase and TFS and hoo, boy

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited November 2006
    I bet the ninja assassin code's in there somewhere, just waiting for the right time to strike.

Bleargh, I hated that.

LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT THIS

Neofly on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Out of mild curiosity.

Security modifications. The infamous slogin and chash mods. Tons of performance patches. Damn near all of the database queries have been rewritten by someone who has more database experience than a seven year old. The template system is cached, the configuration table is cached, and I introduced use of MySQL query caching / expiration / delayed inserts. I rewrote the BBCode parser to specifically not suck. User permissions have been revoked and remodded. We added a granularity to forum permissions and the ability for mods to have more powers than mods at most boards. A lot of misc. fixes support for clustering, etc.

I'm missing some but its late and I have turkey to make in the AM :wink:

I love it when you talk dirty, alpha.

Toast on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Forums wrote:
    Dear Forumers,
    I love you all very much. None of this is your fault.
    I just can't take it anymore.
    The bickering, the fighting, the pictures of people's asses....It's all just been too much.
    In conclusion, good-bye, cruel internets.
    Love, the forums.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited November 2006
    The Forums wrote:
    ALL THESE FORUMS ARE YOURS EXCEPT THE MOD FORUM. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE. USE THEM TOGETHER. USE THEM IN PEACE

Fix'd

Neofly on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Actually...

clipboard01sb4.png

Echo on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    darleysam wrote:
    Luckily, because it's not hooked up to any ICBMs,

speak for yourself

Tube on
    edited November 2006
    Kazhiim wrote:
    don't forget the deputy system!

Is that code still present in the forum, or did you just rip it out like some poor, unwanted child?
    If there was such a thing as a code abortion, I would wish it on the deputy system.

(Actually, the deputy system worked out well in theory, just in principle it worked out really really poorly)
    :winky:

Älphämönkëy on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Toast wrote:
    I love it when you talk dirty, alpha.
    :lol:

While on the topic of Alpha and coding for the forum, do you have anything cooked up for April Fool's already?

Edit - I ask waaaay early because we didn't get much this year.

Henroid on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you kidding? We got the ultimate April Fool's this year.

Captain K on
    edited November 2006
    CT, you're hooked up to ICBMs?
    badass

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Refresh my memory.

Unless you mean the part where we didn't have one, in which case that's funny in itself.

Henroid on
  • TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    Refresh my memory.

Unless you mean the part where we didn't have one, in which case that's funny in itself.
    The forums were down for pretty much the entire month of April. Hardware issues and plenty of bad luck if I recall correctly.

Tofenheimer on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And it was still better than ninjas.

Also, stop responding to the spam threads you dolts.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Responding to the spam threads and making fun of spammers is a staple of the PA forums.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited November 2006
    that's what confuses me: posting in spam threads = bad, right? 'cos i don't know if it's a jailable offence because it's bumping it, or what. Or if it just pisses the mods off. It just seems to vary, depending on who gets there first.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    darleysam wrote:
    that's what confuses me: posting in spam threads = bad, right? 'cos i don't know if it's a jailable offence because it's bumping it, or what. Or if it just pisses the mods off. It just seems to vary, depending on who gets there first.

It's fun. Always has been. Any mod who gets pissed about it has a rod up their ass.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited November 2006
    and the ability to take their frustrations out on those who put themselves in the firing-liJUST KIDDING I LOVE THE MODS

edit: i know i've been done for new-member thread assassination before, which is fair enough.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    darleysam wrote:

It's fun. Always has been. Any mod who gets pissed about it has a rod up their ass.

*coughctandaccualtcough*

I didn't say anything...

MechMantis on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Okay, you know the "don't post in stillborn threads" rule?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073840119
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073840117

It's not working and/or needs the hand of god a bit more.

Aroduc on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Captain K is ignoring one until it reaches page 10.

Which is completely reasonable.

EDIT: Or not.

MechMantis on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It was a good thread, to be sure, but in the end would not have lead to anything good.

Let us all bow our heads in remembrance.

Javen on
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, is the return of the skills.

Now we only need more biceps.

Neofly on
    edited November 2006
    well, i've no problem with people being scamps in threads like 'where is the internet stored'

but if people are scamps in threads made by new users just because they're new (even if they're contributing) well, that's thread assassination

Given that it's apparent that a reasonably sized section of the forum populace are unable to make this distinction for themselves, I think it would be best to stop encouraging the whole "legendary thread" thing in general.

Tube on
    edited November 2006
    darleysam wrote:

Lots of things are fun and also stupid and damaging. Watching people react to goatse is fun, but we have a rule against that as well. It's fucking stupid Raijin, and it's fucking stupid in a really obvious way.

Tube on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    People who reply to spammers and quote their post with the spam URL thus making it take even longer for me to clean up: please stop that.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.