As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go Team [Chat]ure!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    VishNub wrote:
    PLaying online video games lowers my opinion of humanity. I should really stop.
    What game is damning humanity this time?

Warcraft, in this case. But it could be any of them, really.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    This weekend, we caught Maddie fiddling around with a 1000 piece puzzle over at Julie's mom's. We were all, "Hey, wait, don't mess that up!" Except she wasn't messing it up, she was actually working on it. Like, she reached into a giant pile of pieces, picked one out, turned it around for a bit, and then stuck it in place. After a bit, she did this again with a different piece. She was doing better at it than I usually do with those things.

I kinda wanted her to grow up to be smarter than me, but I'd hoped it would take longer than 2 years.
    So when do you start with the algebra and French?

We've started teaching her arithmetic, since she can count to about 8, now. She's picking it up fairly well.

If you haven't started her on violin or gymnastics yet, you can cross those two right off her career paths.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    stilist wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    stilist wrote:

One can only hope. I was worried she would grow up into Dr. Evil, but with any luck she'll grow up into Darth Vader.
    Those teenage years will be hellsih man....
    Maddie, you're grounded.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DO NOT WANT!

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    VishNub wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    VishNub wrote:

Warcraft is certaintly one of the worst

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    VishNub wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    VishNub wrote:

It's no Diablo II, but it's close. Blizzard has some magical power to attract asshats. I suspect that it's the lack of self regulated servers.

VishNub on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Aside from being burgled, what happened to ElJeffe to warrant his hatred of humanity?

Doc on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    VishNub wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    VishNub wrote:
    Well, given the size of the user-base...

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    If you haven't started her on violin or gymnastics yet, you can cross those two right off her career paths.

We want to start her on gymnastics soon, because she'd love it. She's always doing pirhouettes (sp?) and saying, "I'm a ballerina!" And she likes to walk, arms outstretched, along the top of the brick planter in our front yard, which is about 4" thick. She has better balance than I do. She can go the entire stretch, about 20 feet, without falling off.

I swear, the kid just keeps doing random impressive stuff. Yesterday at the grocery store she started rattling off the days of the week, in order, which as best I can tell she learned from neither us nor from school.

Two year olds rock.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I do hereby promise to not post in the Beatles thread whatsoever. You people can have your fun, and I will just sit on the outside and judge.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I do hereby promise to not post in the Beatles thread whatsoever. You people can have your fun, and I will just sit on the outside and judge.
    Business as usual.

stilist on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    stilist wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Business as usual.
    Man, you should just go in the thread and have at them for liking the Beatles. If they can't handle your debate and discourse, that's their problem.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

We want to start her on gymnastics soon, because she'd love it. She's always doing pirhouettes (sp?) and saying, "I'm a ballerina!" And she likes to walk, arms outstretched, along the top of the brick planter in our front yard, which is about 4" thick. She has better balance than I do. She can go the entire stretch, about 20 feet, without falling off.

Man, put her in ballet if that's what you're going off of. There's less chance of catastrophic injury, and gymnastics has a really good chance of fucking up your posture and joints if you either stick with it or get unlucky.

Also, it's pirouette. The French don't roll with pronounced Hs too often.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Aside from being burgled, what happened to ElJeffe to warrant his hatred of humanity?

It's that combined with my wife being screwed over and fired a few months back, along with the totalling of our vehicle back in January, and the fact that when we bought our house, it was with the idea we could re-fi in June to keep our payments from jumping by $500 per month, which probably won't be happening now since our house has depreciated roughly $25k since we bought it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    It's that combined with my wife being screwed over and fired a few months back, along with the totalling of our vehicle back in January, and the fact that when we bought our house, it was with the idea we could re-fi in June to keep our payments from jumping by $500 per month, which probably won't be happening now since our house has depreciated roughly $25k since we bought it.
    D:

Didn't your wife get a new, better job after she was fired, though?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Also, you should totally start teaching Maddie Spanish and piano now.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Clearly God is looking out for you, Job.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Man, put her in ballet if that's what you're going off of. There's less chance of catastrophic injury, and gymnastics has a really good chance of fucking up your posture and joints if you either stick with it or get unlucky.
    Figure skating is good too, though is more expensive and being in California might be less do-able.
    [spoiler:630557303e]and no, that totally was not a jab at you Jeff :wink:[/spoiler:630557303e]

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Yeah - the housing market's taken a rough turn. I'm glad we took the fixed rate when we bought our place - got in around 5% long term. Doubtless we've depreciated since then (take that "Boston the bubbleproof housing market"), but at least we're on the hook for payments we know we can afford. I shudder to think what would have happened had we jumped on the attractive-seeming adjustable rate.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    D:

Didn't your wife get a new, better job after she was fired, though?

It pays more, and offers better advancement. It also doesn't have highly subsidized daycare, though, so we're netting about $300/mo less. I just got a promotion and raise, which about made up for that $300/mo, so we're back to the point where we're not going further and further into debt, but we have a big fucking hole to climb out of now.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Yeah - the housing market's taken a rough turn. I'm glad we took the fixed rate when we bought our place - got in around 5% long term. Doubtless we've depreciated since then (take that "Boston the bubbleproof housing market"), but at least we're on the hook for payments we know we can afford. I shudder to think what would have happened had we jumped on the attractive-seeming adjustable rate.

We took the best deal we could get to get into a house that wasn't in the ghetto, which was a variable rate 100% financing dealie. At the time, it appeared the worst-case scenario for the Sac housing market was a period of little or no growth, which would mean we pretty much just refi'd into the same interest-only-for-two-years deal we have now, and see what happened two years later, with the ultimate goal being to wait until appreciation and improvements boosted our comparative equity to the point where we could get a single mortgage at a fixed rate.

Whoops.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Business as usual.
    Man, you should just go in the thread and have at them for liking the Beatles. If they can't handle your debate and discourse, that's their problem.
    Actually this time it's just the suggestion that this is a 'new' Beatles album and his love of remastering that upset me, otherwise people are free to listen to whatever filth they want. I don't believe in remastering, but I'm an irrational snob, so I will keep mum.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Don't worry, Jeffe. It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

We took the best deal we could get to get into a house that wasn't in the ghetto, which was a variable rate 100% financing dealie. At the time, it appeared the worst-case scenario for the Sac housing market was a period of little or no growth, which would mean we pretty much just refi'd into the same interest-only-for-two-years deal we have now, and see what happened two years later, with the ultimate goal being to wait until appreciation and improvements boosted our comparative equity to the point where we could get a single mortgage at a fixed rate.

Whoops.

It wasn't a bad strategy in general, especially with California's housing market historically expanding so strongly. I kind of took the opposite bet - bought a tiny place in a part of town on the penumbra of the "trendy area" - hopefully up-and-coming - and made sure we had enough down-payment to avoid having to get an ARM. Urban Boston and Cambridge have been gentrifying nicely over the past ten years or so, and I don't really see them slinkng back into the slums anytime soon, even if the price of housing doesn't have many ways to expand.

Believe it or not, a lot of what motivated us to make this particular decision was that I thought the fed at the time was making some disastrous macroeconomic desicions, and that we were likely to see inflation or large interest-rate hikes in the near future.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Business as usual.
    Actually this time it's just the suggestion that this is a 'new' Beatles album and his love of remastering that upset me, otherwise people are free to listen to whatever filth they want. I don't believe in remastering, but I'm an irrational snob, so I will keep mum.
    Depends on how it's done. If it's just a matter of putting old recordings onto digital media, improving the end sound, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Regardless, it has approval of the Starr and McCartney, so they must've done a decent job with it.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    McCartney was probably too busy beating up cripples with their own prosthetic limbs to give it a thorough listening to.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    McCartney was probably too busy beating up cripples with their own prosthetic limbs to give it a thorough listening to.

Was some gimp wearing fur?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    stilist wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Depends on how it's done. If it's just a matter of putting old recordings onto digital media, improving the end sound, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Regardless, it has approval of the Starr and McCartney, so they must've done a decent job with it.
    I think it's a context thing. To rework the music, even with the artist's approval, is hindsight, and I think that takes away from what they were doing in the moment, which is what I'm interested in. Sure, maybe the bass did sound muddy on those old Sabbath* records, but that's sort of the whole point.

*I don't know if this is really a valid example, I'm just saying.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, I really don't get the appeal of the Beatles.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    And the Beatles loving media won't talk about it.

WELL I'MMA TALK ABOUT IT.

McCartney a cripple-hater! HE HATE CRIPPLES!!

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    hi5!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Oh, hush. It might be news if everybody didn't hate cripples, but they do, so it's not.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:

The Beatles made some nifty songs. That's about the extent of my wonderment.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Oh, hush. It might be news if everybody didn't hate cripples, but they do, so it's not.

It's not so much that I hate them. It's more like I see in them my own weaknesses, only magnified, and for that they must be destroyed.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

It's not so much that I hate them. It's more like I see in them my own weaknesses, only magnified, and for that they must be destroyed.
    I just figure that if God hates them, so should I.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Har, go Boston.
    WHDH reports Boston's mayor, Thomas Menino, plans to bill Sony for the chaos caused at Copley Place yesterday. According to WHDH it took 12 police officers to clear the "crazed gamers" and the city blames the Sony Style store. Unlike the Landmark Center Best Buy, which prevented a bad situation from occuring, the Sony Style store provoked it by withholding launch numbers, not allowing pre-orders and having a laissez-faire system in place for launch. Billing for police time could happen across the country with stores that withheld launch details causing a preventable situation to turn ugly.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sweet Jesus, not this again.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.
    WHDH reports Boston's mayor, Thomas Menino, plans to bill Sony for the chaos caused at Copley Place yesterday. According to WHDH it took 12 police officers to clear the "crazed gamers" and the city blames the Sony Style store. Unlike the Landmark Center Best Buy, which prevented a bad situation from occuring, the Sony Style store provoked it by withholding launch numbers, not allowing pre-orders and having a laissez-faire system in place for launch. Billing for police time could happen across the country with stores that withheld launch details causing a preventable situation to turn ugly.

O_o

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Sweet Jesus, not this again.
    I know -- but like, apparently people KEEP buying Beatles albums despite the fact they own all the songs provided in triplicate. I don't get it either.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.

O_o

I think it's probably appropriate. Sony Style wanted big lines and unruly crowds for PR purposes and didn't spring for private security to take care of the ensuing mess it would cause.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.
    O_o
    I think it's probably appropriate. Sony Style wanted big lines and unruly crowds for PR purposes and didn't spring for private security to take care of the ensuing mess it would cause.
    Absolutely. There was no reason for them to not announce shipment numbers, except causing a big-ass mess.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.