Options

Go Team [Chat]ure!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.
    WHDH reports Boston's mayor, Thomas Menino, plans to bill Sony for the chaos caused at Copley Place yesterday. According to WHDH it took 12 police officers to clear the "crazed gamers" and the city blames the Sony Style store. Unlike the Landmark Center Best Buy, which prevented a bad situation from occuring, the Sony Style store provoked it by withholding launch numbers, not allowing pre-orders and having a laissez-faire system in place for launch. Billing for police time could happen across the country with stores that withheld launch details causing a preventable situation to turn ugly.

O_o

I think it's probably appropriate. Sony Style wanted big lines and unruly crowds for PR purposes and didn't spring for private security to take care of the ensuing mess it would cause.

There're lots of places that didn't have launch numbers, didn't allow pre-orders, and had a laissez-faire system in place for launch. Wal-Mart, for example. What did Sony do that resulted in mobs and rioting, when other stores which seemed to have identical policies didn't have any reported problems?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Sony reminds me of the MTV of the electronics industry.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.
    WHDH reports Boston's mayor, Thomas Menino, plans to bill Sony for the chaos caused at Copley Place yesterday. According to WHDH it took 12 police officers to clear the "crazed gamers" and the city blames the Sony Style store. Unlike the Landmark Center Best Buy, which prevented a bad situation from occuring, the Sony Style store provoked it by withholding launch numbers, not allowing pre-orders and having a laissez-faire system in place for launch. Billing for police time could happen across the country with stores that withheld launch details causing a preventable situation to turn ugly.
    O_o
    I think it's probably appropriate. Sony Style wanted big lines and unruly crowds for PR purposes and didn't spring for private security to take care of the ensuing mess it would cause.
    Absolutely. There was no reason for them to not announce shipment numbers, except causing a big-ass mess.
    They would have been smarter to hold their publicity stunts in some cities who's a little less anti-corporate than Boston. Like Dallas or Tucson or Atlanta or somewhere.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Sony reminds me of the MTV of the electronics industry.

Retarded, trendy and adored by 13 year old girls?

VishNub on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.

O_o

There're lots of places that didn't have launch numbers, didn't allow pre-orders, and had a laissez-faire system in place for launch. Wal-Mart, for example. What did Sony do that resulted in mobs and rioting, when other stores which seemed to have identical policies didn't have any reported problems?

They weren't in Metro Boston, for one thing. The Best Buys in Boston and Cambridge had very sensible policies with a strong eye to order. There's also probably something about the Sony Style store being kind of the Mecca of Sony fanboys, which I'm sure they were well aware of, and stoked for PR purposes.

I don't think they really anticipated riots per se - who would predict an army of tubby video game addicts as really taking to the barricades? But they should have certainly expected the potential for public disorder.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If they made My Sweet 16 the video game I'd totally play it.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.

O_o

Did the Walmarts exist inside Bostons authority? Did they require city police to clean up the ensueing mess?

edit: Also, I am really interested in how Werehippy is going to reply to the scalping thread with is ridiculous definition of capitalism, and the fact that Adam "fucking" Smith disagrees.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    I don't think they really anticipated riots per se - who would predict an army of tubby video game addicts as really taking to the barricades?
    *raises hand*

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Absolutely. There was no reason for them to not announce shipment numbers, except causing a big-ass mess.

It woudn't be unreasonable to assume that some of the rich folks who showed up to buy a PS3 and got turned away would drown their sorrows in some impulse purchasing. Or, alternately, put their names on a list for the next batch.

I think the launch was a clusterfuck in general, and Sony is stupid, but I don't think that the only possible reason to handle it as they did was to cause mass rioting that would necessitate police action and a spot on the news.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:

From what I heard (I'm pretty sure it was this store) they:

-Had a line originally, with a list. Rejected that list, and the entire notion of a list, then kicked those people off of the Mall property, who then lined up across the street.

Then allowed another line to form

-Let both lines into the mall the next morning, only to discover a third secret line was already entering the store; and allowed them to watch this through a locked security gate.

Those might be separate instances, I read about it Friday afternoon and its all slurred together over the weekend. But either read as intentionally, or least clearly forseeably provacative.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This just in: Sony horribly fucks up PS3 launch. More at 11.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Har, go Boston.
    O_o
    Uh, I don't know about your Wal-Mart, but my Wal-Mart had launch numbers. As did the one in the neighboring county.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    My ultimate team's utter lack of spelling ability makes me cry. Seriously, you're in college, half of you are English or Business majors, why can't you spell?

VishNub on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Haha, Sony runs a launch exactly like I would. Maximizing the potential for misery and suffering. Well done!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    I don't think they really anticipated riots per se - who would predict an army of tubby video game addicts as really taking to the barricades? But they should have certainly expected the potential for public disorder.

Well, I think this is the pertinent point. Was it reasonable to assume there would be long lines? Yes. Was it reasonable to assume there may be some "unruliness"? Sure. Was it reasonable to assume that it would get to the point where you needed a dozen officers to calm things down? No, I don't think so. Unless it can be shown that Sony could have reasonably expected their policy to result in the necessity of police action, it's ridiculous to charge them for it.

It seems like yours and Goum's argument consists largely of "Well, this is Boston, and Boston is stupid, so Sony should've known better." While true, it doesn't really make the ruling a good one.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Goumindong wrote:
    Did the Walmarts exist inside Bostons authority? Did they require city police to clean up the ensueing mess?

edit: Also, I am really interested in how Werehippy is going to reply to the scalping thread with is ridiculous definition of capitalism, and the fact that Adam "fucking" Smith disagrees.

I'm not even sure that there are any WalMarts within Boston proper, though there might be. I doubt there are any in the urban areas. I know that the Best Buys in the city have been favorably commended for their handling of the launch, and I suspect that other retailers did similarly.

Boston's a little different from most other cities in terms of their approach to corporate accountability and lack of deference to large chains. I think Albuquerque would probably be okay with an approach like "do what you want - we'll clean it up, good friend Sony, just don't move your store to Indianapolis".

Boston's somewhere around "Fuck you if you won't play by our rules. We hear Indianapolis is nice."

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Sweet Jesus, not this again.
    I know -- but like, apparently people KEEP buying Beatles albums despite the fact they own all the songs provided in triplicate. I don't get it either.
    Saying the Beatles are overrated is so overrated.

Edit: And the Boston mayor has one of the most hilarious faces I've seen.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gah! I've lost my voice, I have acne around my mouth, and I have a 40 minute presentation next week.

This is hardly ideal.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Gah! I've lost my voice, I have acne around my mouth, and I have a 40 minute presentation next week.

This is hardly ideal.

Decapitation is the solution.

VishNub on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Well, I think this is the pertinent point. Was it reasonable to assume there would be long lines? Yes. Was it reasonable to assume there may be some "unruliness"? Sure. Was it reasonable to assume that it would get to the point where you needed a dozen officers to calm things down? No, I don't think so. Unless it can be shown that Sony could have reasonably expected their policy to result in the necessity of police action, it's ridiculous to charge them for it.

It seems like yours and Goum's argument consists largely of "Well, this is Boston, and Boston is stupid, so Sony should've known better." While true, it doesn't really make the ruling a good one.
    I have to disagree on the "reasonable expectation." I think it can be reasonably expected that, with those sorts of policies, a substantial amount of disorderliness is foreseeable.

I mean, I knew it was coming, and it's not even my job to know.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

This is hardly ideal.

Choco gave you hep.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited November 2006

This is hardly ideal.
    Record your presentation on tape/mp3/vinyl/whatever bit by bit and just play the tape at the presentation. You can then either mime to it or maybe do some break-dancing whilst it plays.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    VishNub wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

The audience or the teacher?

• Options
    edited November 2006

This is hardly ideal.
    You don't need your voice to give Choco head.

Not that you have to, though; he probably takes care of that himself.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    VishNub wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

The audience or the teacher?

You.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

This is hardly ideal.

Solution:

Give your presentation on the topic of "How would one speak to one's lawyer if one had no mouth?" Do up your face like Keanu in the first Matrix during the interrogation scene. Make the entire presentation consist of terrified grunts and wild gestures.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

D: to both of those points. You are a churl, Hacksaw.

Jeffe, I would, but it's on Loss of American Innocence: The Social Revolution of the 1960s

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

AT LEAST I STILL HAVE MY VOICE. MY PRECIOUS, PRECIOUS VOICE. WHATEVER WOULD I DO WITHOUT IT.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

I don't know if it's "stupid" per se, but it definitely has its own rules. Part of this is forcing companies to be a little proactive when it comes to PR stunts. This was, in the end, a PR stunt that intruded on public property and ended up causing a lot of trouble in downtown. You could probably say without hyberbole that it amounted to "inciting a riot". I don't think that holding the instigators responsible to some extent is misplaced.

Sony was clearly aware of the fact that there were going to be huge crowds of young men, a gnawing desire to get a PS3, and an enormous scarcity of goods. It doesn't take a market genius to review clip reels of soccer moms kidney-punching each other over Tickle Me Elmos to foresee potential calamity, and I see no reason why Sony feels like public taxpayers should clean up after their mess.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

Hacksaw is a non-servile peasant?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

AT LEAST I STILL HAVE MY VOICE. MY PRECIOUS, PRECIOUS VOICE. WHATEVER WOULD I DO WITHOUT IT.

I really want to give you sick-girl yelling now, just to make you feel badly about yourself. You non-servile peasant, you.

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

Hacksaw is a non-servile peasant?
    Cass is jealous because she is a lowly serf.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

Use your arse much much less?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Jeffe, I would, but it's on Loss of American Innocence: The Social Revolution of the 1960s

Pretend the acne is herpes. STDs during the period were likely running rampant due to all the sexing. Further pretend that you lost your voice by chanting, "MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR!!"

Bring in a professional hippie to sing your presentation in the form of a hippie protest song.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

I really want to give you sick-girl yelling now, just to make you feel badly about yourself.
    Actually, you'd probably only make me laugh at your harder than I am right now. I'm not actually sure that's possible, but still.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yo dogz

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Sweet Jesus, not this again.
    I know -- but like, apparently people KEEP buying Beatles albums despite the fact they own all the songs provided in triplicate. I don't get it either.
    Saying the Beatles are overrated is so overrated.
    Buying the same songs you own four times over is just dumb.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

This is hardly ideal.

I lost my voice once, back when I was an undergrad. I spent a week without talking, not a single word. I had to carry a pen and paper, and write messages to people I wanted to tell something to.

Hey, maybe that could work for your presentation. Make giant cue-cards and pass them one after the other.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    do your presentation through interpretive dance

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

This is hardly ideal.

Use your arse much much less?
    Haha, snap!

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
This discussion has been closed.