As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Radical saved by Crytek! Maximum Buyout! More info on Console plans ( OP )

2»

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NO WAY! This made my week much more bright.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    This is so good.

Oh please TimeSplitters 4 using the CryEngine oh please oh please.

What is known about CryEngine on consoles? Has there been any games or demos?

There were postings on Crytek's official page for console programmers.

Here you go - PS3 Programmer wanted

Notable things -

•Development of a Next-Generation GameFramework based on CryEngine 2.0
    •Work on various aspects of porting to engine code to PS3 and creating solutions to get the utmost out of the PS3
    •Cross platform code development

Other than that, I believe there is a shooter from some european country and an MMO called Entropia (I think) that is currently in the works.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When they were originally showing of cyengine 2, they did say the fantastic thing about it was that it would output to any platform nicely, much like tech5.

I'm really quite surprised noone's used the engine yet, really.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When they were originally showing of cyengine 2, they did say the fantastic thing about it was that it would output to any platform nicely, much like tech5.

I'm really quite surprised noone's used the engine yet, really.

Everyone's too busy using UE3.

subedii on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unreal 3.0 has got a great workspace and easy and organised language to pick up, but CryEngine 2.0 is just amazing for terrain, model imports, scripting and shaders. A mod I've been working on for some time now is being shifted from UE 3.0 to CryEngine because I believe I can achieve better results from it.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Unreal 3.0 has got a great workspace and easy and organised language to pick up, but CryEngine 2.0 is just amazing for terrain, model imports, scripting and shaders. A mod I've been working on for some time now is being shifted from UE 3.0 to CryEngine because I believe I can achieve better results from it.

Oh I'm not saying that UE3 is necessarily better or anything. The thing is that right now it's the industry standard. Everyone knows it, everyone uses it, it doesn't matter whether your objectives can actually be achieved better with another engine.

Having played around with Sandbox for a while, I have to say it's a really intuitive tool, and has a lot of the same features that UE3 makes use of, maybe named differently (Flowgraphs). With a bit of practice with it you can really make some amazing stuff with it in a short period of time.

subedii on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If they do bring out an TS4, or an game which is really similar but without the same name, I do hope they bring it out on all platforms, and not go back to the PS like with TS1 as the job advert suggests. Also even more map making options, the TS series always had the best console map making tools (the far cry port doesn't count, because the whole game was terrible)

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Crytek Releases more Console plans

Crysis developer Crytek has told GamesIndustry.biz that the acquisition of Free Radical Design will accelerate the developer's plans to enter the console market.

"Crytek is well-regarded for its high-end PC games, while the Free Radical team in the UK has extensive experience working on multiple home consoles with titles such as Haze, TimeSplitters and Second Sight.

"We always planned to enter the console market and it was part of our strategy even before the acquisition. This step will certainly bring us forward a bit faster to achieve our goal to develop high quality games on consoles," said Cevat Yerli, president and CEO of Crytek.

Free Radical Design was working on TimeSplitters 4 before falling into administration last year, but Crytek would not comment on specific projects, stating that "at the moment we're looking into all possibilities and haven't decided anything yet."

However, the UK studio is now staffing up in anticipation of a full-blown project, with Yerli confirming work is about to begin on a project at the newly renamed Crytek UK.

"Right now we're looking at 42 people and intend to bring the studio to full production capability in the near future,” he said. “This is something that relates to the project we'll be kicking off very shortly."

Crytek swooped for the beleaguered UK developer last week, picking up staff, technology and intellectual properties.

The group, which also has locations in Hungary, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Germany and South Korea, has been open in its frustration of PC games piracy, with Yerli last year stating that the developer will no longer create games exclusively for the PC market.

With Free Radical now part of the group, all eyes will be on the developer's plans for home consoles.

"We think Free Radical fits into our culture and strategy," added Yerli. "They have a proven track record in developing great games on consoles and PC. This combined with our own CryENGINE technology and a very experienced team is more than perfect for us."

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Crytek UK are the console port team, then...

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    By the sounds of it yeah. Fingers crossed that also includes their own free will of what they would like to do rather than Crysis - Instincts/ Warfare / Tactical / waheverthefuck they'll call the watered down port.

Waka Laka on