As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Canis_AnubisCanis_Anubis Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    The problem is that while rockstars complete devotion to doing things their way sometimes creates gold, it also means they don’t course correct when something just doesn’t work. They wanted to make a genuine Wild West where it’s dangerous and there are rivals everywhere. While that’s cool in theory in practice it means getting shot for no reason while trying to do something, or fighting off posse groups who are insanely levelled and elite against whom you have no chance

Its a concept that just translates to dull annoyance and doesn’t reward working together. Defending against a posse attacking your transport doesn’t like give you a bonus in materials, or make your next transport immune, it’s just an almost impossible annoying chore where the reward is you don’t lose all your shit

So I'm of two minds regarding this kind of emergent gameplay. On the one hand, a human enemy is going to be far more creative and dangerous than any possible AI, and you do want to offer players a challenge to keep people engaged. So in principle, I'm not opposed to that kind of design. Where this falls down, however, is the gross power disparity between the griefer and the griefed. If you're the person riding in a wagon, you're more or less a sitting duck. You've also invested a great deal more effort to reach that point, whereas in the unlikely event that you defeat the griefers, they can just shuffle on with whatever they were doing. And this completely leaves aside the many other bugs which prevent the regular player from making meaningful progress, irrespective of harassment from hostile players.

• Options
    beavisofsmokebeavisofsmoke Registered User regular
    I really should be recording my gameplay to catch things I can't capture with photo mode.

I was doing the side mission where you hunt buffalo with Charles and I got to the part where he says "I don't kill for fun, I kill because I have to" and then he immediately ran over a rabbit.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I don't know why the Master Archer event lets players shoot each other with guns but I don't think the dude with the Rolling Block was expecting me to hunt him down with explosive rounds for the rest of the event. And I still placed in the top 10.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I never tried one of those events ever again after getting the achievement for doing 10 of them. It’s like the exact opposite of fun. The only one I kind of enjoyed was the train king of the hill just for the craziness

Man this game tho, it’s just inexcusable how broken the online is. If any other game had like 30% of the time you try to go into it it doesn’t work or features don’t work, it would be unacceptable. Coming from a company that has more money than god it’s just insulting.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I never tried one of those events ever again after getting the achievement for doing 10 of them. It’s like the exact opposite of fun. The only one I kind of enjoyed was the train king of the hill just for the craziness

Man this game tho, it’s just inexcusable how broken the online is. If any other game had like 30% of the time you try to go into it it doesn’t work or features don’t work, it would be unacceptable. Coming from a company that has more money than god it’s just insulting.

GTA:O is pretty much the same. It's probably slightly less buggy overall, but it has major bugs that have been around since it launched. Money/item exploits tend to get patched pretty quickly, though.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't know what the weekly collector thing needs, but I had enough for 4 of them and she pays out a hundo each one, so thank you four hundred dollars.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It's 3 types of coins which is sort of nice because most of the time there is some lootable item requirement that I never seem to get.

I got so mad at the bugged Moonshiner deliveries last night that I rage moved my shack to the swamp since Rockstar doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it. The delivery I had ready worked so at least I've almost offset the cost of the move.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What's the point of the weapons locker if I have to put the guns I don't want to carry in there every time I log on?

Also, I tried doing a trader mission the other day and it spawned me with a different weapon setup than I had before start the mission and then like 15 feet outside of camp it said I failed because the cart was destroyed and then started a moonshine mission. What.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    What's the point of the weapons locker if I have to put the guns I don't want to carry in there every time I log on?

Also, I tried doing a trader mission the other day and it spawned me with a different weapon setup than I had before start the mission and then like 15 feet outside of camp it said I failed because the cart was destroyed and then started a moonshine mission. What.

That would seem bugged if you have to keep putting your guns away, once I put mine away they are gone for good.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So it turns out if your wagon gets destroyed during a trader delivery, you can just immediately quit and the supplies will still be full in camp when you log back in.

This message was brought to you by "There is no fucking way I should be stuck on this rock" and the Alt-F4 Commission.

Strikor on
  • Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    So it turns out if your wagon gets destroyed during a trader delivery, you can just immediately quit and the supplies will still be full in camp when you log back in.

This message was brought to you by "There is no fucking way I should be stuck on this rock" and the Alt-F4 Commission.

That's good to know, though I never can be arsed to do the longer deliveries anyway. Since you can't get gold from Trader activities, I just use it as a low-effort way to pad my XP and money.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I just bought this for PC. Some quick questions: do I need to do anything to avoid any of the online features? Mouse and KB or controller?

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Not sure about the online features, but I launch through steam so that I can adjust the controls using the steam utility. I have it set so that I can double tap one of the grips on my steam controller so that it auto-fires the sprint button. Leas fine horse control, but saves my hand from repetitive buttons presses.

• Options
    I have to say, this game has the absolute worst controls I have experienced in years. I think the control scheme was designed by aliens.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I have to say, this game has the absolute worst controls I have experienced in years. I think the control scheme was designed by aliens.

I got confused by that earlier tonight because I kept hitting backspace like the icon said but oh no sorry that's actually the icon for LEFT ARROW that looks really, really similar but by all means let's have both of them on the same menu and do entirely different things. Then sometimes it's X to do a thing, except when it's E or F but oh look this one is actually C and oh no I've gone crosseyed.

I'm pretty sure they didn't try to optimize the control scheme for keyboards at all.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

I got confused by that earlier tonight because I kept hitting backspace like the icon said but oh no sorry that's actually the icon for LEFT ARROW that looks really, really similar but by all means let's have both of them on the same menu and do entirely different things. Then sometimes it's X to do a thing, except when it's E or F but oh look this one is actually C and oh no I've gone crosseyed.

I'm pretty sure they didn't try to optimize the control scheme for keyboards at all.

Even the controller controls are awful. Oftentimes the game will refuse to aim my gun and will tell me to hit right trigger to aim but that pulls the trigger. Literally everything is bound to left and right trigger. The d-pad is virtually unused. Tons of unnecessary button chords. Everything is "hold down 'x' to 'y'" instead of just having it be a button press. Just trying to read the controller layout page is impossible because it switches between to entirely different sets of layouts every two seconds without telling you what either layout even is.

I failed a mission earlier because I couldn't get the game to switch between trying to talk to someone that had no dialog options and aiming my gun.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Finally got rank 20 on Trader last night. Had to cheese it by making soup on multiple servers because no animals would spawn

This Kladruber seems pretty nice

Joolander on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Yeah , all the role horses are pretty nice.

• Options
    Yeah I think I might swap back to the bounty hunter horse because the moonshiner is a bit too skittish for my tastes, but all of the role horses are solid investments.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Rockstar has finally acknowledged the animal spawns for online mode

Also online adjusted animations so would be smoother, don't think you can toggle that for single player though unfortunately.

Zavian on
  • Options
    I have to assume everyone decided to switch to the Hangman card, because I’ve been randomly keel hauled like 3 times today

It is always funny the messages I get after I A) cut it loose B) whip a bola in their direction for instant hogtying and C) shotgun to the face while they watch helpless from the ground

I’ll take the honor hit

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Finally got rank 20 on Trader last night. Had to cheese it by making soup on multiple servers because no animals would spawn

This Kladruber seems pretty nice

I really like the Kladruber. Nice, big horse, great stamina, and comes with a nice attractive selection of coats. For those of you getting a new horse bonded, I've read that you can level up your bond quickly by leading the horse around on a walk. Let me say: Don't bother doing this. Just brush and feed it on the regular, and ride around doing your regular challenges and activities, and he'll be at level 4 bond in a day or three. You can buy a horse brush at the stables, if you don't have one already, it's cheap.

In other news, today's Challenges include '2 Lemoyne Bounties' and '2 bounties', so you've got a pair of quick triple-payoff bounties. Good times.

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    Rockstar has finally acknowledged the animal spawns for online mode

Also online adjusted animations so would be smoother, don't think you can toggle that for single player though unfortunately.

Man that's only been an issue for uhh like ever? Glad they'll finally maybe do something about it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I gave up on Moonshiner after getting fed up with the infinite loading screen bug. It turns out having a 3* batch sitting in the basement forever will automatically complete the "make a special moonshine recipe" daily objective whenever it pops up. Thanks, I think?

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So for some reason I can not buy gold bars off the store. The last three weeks I pretty much have been been playing RDR2 online on the PC. Just hit 65, maxed out the season pass 2 (Which I earned the gold in game) and acquired all the roles and now sitting pretty with 30gold.

I have had a whole load of fun and only had one or two negative experiences.

As for the Seasons pass, saving the gold and doing bounty’s/challenges and treasure maps was totally worth it. Made all my gold back after one purchase of the pass.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    So the first attempt at the animal spawn patch was apparently done today on consoles

Anybody notice anything?

• Options
    As for the Seasons pass, saving the gold and doing bounty’s/challenges and treasure maps was totally worth it. Made all my gold back after one purchase of the pass.

For the Outlaw Pass, you don't even have to buy the pass before you raise your season progress to 100. Just play the game as per normal, and when your rewards rank reaches 100, buy the pass, and you'll get back the 40 gold bars instantly, just redeem the 8 5 gold bar tickets in your reward screen. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezie.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah by the time I earned the the gold for the number 2 pass I had hit the cap so had a nice load of 5 gold tickets to spend as soon as I got it.

As for the animals they are spawning okay I guess. Finding stuff to chuck in the wagon.

My camp is despawning a lot more since I upgraded it.

• Options
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I've been noticing animals spawning just outside my camp regularly, and just a big increase in general including smaller animals and more birds. They definitely improved animal spawns from what I can tell. I was actually able to complete a 10 animal carcasses in 10 minutes challenge the other day!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I started playing the RDR2 single-player story on PC this weekend and the game may just have justified my recentish purchase of an ultrawide screen all of its own. At the same time, when replaying Rockstar games I realise how much I forget the rigidity of the mission design and how bullshit it tends to be. This morning I had to replay the journey to the camp near Valentine about four times because I took the wrong turning. No in-game warnings from Hosea, just a "mission failed" screen. I do hope that for their next open-world game, Rockstar has a good, long look at its gameplay, mission design and systems and comes up with something a teensy bit less rigid.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Doesn't the waypoint system on the map work? I'll admit I haven't played much of the single player, but I've never found the game's UI to be that unintuitive. Making the horse go where I want it to, or crashing my wagon into a rock the size of an egg? That does happen. But following the game's indicated waypoints has never been an issue for me.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I started playing the RDR2 single-player story on PC this weekend and the game may just have justified my recentish purchase of an ultrawide screen all of its own. At the same time, when replaying Rockstar games I realise how much I forget the rigidity of the mission design and how bullshit it tends to be. This morning I had to replay the journey to the camp near Valentine about four times because I took the wrong turning. No in-game warnings from Hosea, just a "mission failed" screen. I do hope that for their next open-world game, Rockstar has a good, long look at its gameplay, mission design and systems and comes up with something a teensy bit less rigid.
    Unfortunately, this never goes away throughout the SPC. If you can deal with it, the reward is a deeply satisfying and cinematic story. I really recommend you avoid all spoilers like the plague, if you're going in blind at this point.

On a related note, I finally played through the end of Chap. 6...
    :-( Goddamn. The way Dutch just *walks away* at the end like that...

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Senna1 wrote: »
    I really recommend you avoid all spoilers like the plague, if you're going in blind at this point.
    Oh, I've played through the whole thing on PS4 already. I'm replaying it on PC because on an ultrawide screen its beauty makes me drool uncontrollably. In a good way. I do think, though, that it could be less rigid (to some extent at least) in its missions without losing its storytelling chops.
    Doesn't the waypoint system on the map work? I'll admit I haven't played much of the single player, but I've never found the game's UI to be that unintuitive. Making the horse go where I want it to, or crashing my wagon into a rock the size of an egg? That does happen. But following the game's indicated waypoints has never been an issue for me.
    They do work, but the world is so coherent that you can generally find your way without using Old West satnav. You might turn left or right a bit late, though, which the mission designers obviously consider punishable by death. If they felt it was 100% necessary for you to take the one designated path, surely they could've found better ways of handling this.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Edit: Accidental double-post.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Third post in a row... Is that good, bad - or ugly?

Anyway, I have a question for the posse here: does anyone know where I can find maps or descriptions of the dinosaur bone and rock carving sites that aren't of Google Maps precision? If I knew roughly where to look, I'd gladly go and have a look, but if I know that they're exactly *there*, it takes all the fun out of it for me. (I still wish that there was an in-game map along the lines of Hosea's legendary animal map that gave you the rough areas and perhaps a few hints, but you still had to do the legwork.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    So it’s been awhile and I heard that the outlaw pass had expired so I decided to get back in and grind so I had enough for whatever comes next. Turns out I have 50g and 1k already saved , thought I had much less. Provided there isn’t a new role that should be enough and if there is I earn the gold on the pass back anyway so I should still be good.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Hey boys and girls if you have been saving up for a horse both the bounty hunter and collector ones are 70% off . Costs about 300 to buy the top tier $950 ones. Other then that for April fools it’s snowing .

Edit- freaking finally found the poison poppy moonshine that took way too long.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    In the story game, is there a way to get the camp supplied? I have turned in alot of meat and the food icon is still red? Not sure what's going on there.

EDIT: Found some guides, just need to do more and upgrade some of the camp looks like.

Bigity on