As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    GTA Vice City was a prequel

An unrelated story doesn't really count as a prequel.

What's the story of Red Dead Redemption 2

well find out on Thursday. maybe.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A guy with a gun shoots another guy with a gun.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    Hoping against prequel, honestly.

Considering the original RDR was purposely set at the veeeeeeeeery end of the days of the Old West, I'd prepare for disappointment.

Possibly. But on the other hand, you could make a Red Dead game set in a lot of different eras. "Western" is as much a stylistic and tonal choice as it is a chronological setting.

One of my pipe dreams has always been that they would make a "Red Dead" game set in the gangsters-and-G-men era of the depression, with the old-school automobiles and what have you. Or they could even go full-blown modern a la Cormac McCarthy/No Country For Old Men. Not that I think they're doing that with this release, but it's an interesting hypothetical.

i'd much prefer that they keep the series in the Old West, if only because there's a complete lack of games set in that time period. RDR was set towards the end of the era, but there's still a lot of ground they could cover in the setting.

Oh, on an R* release schedule I don't disagree. Like I said, pipe dream.

On an Ubisoft release schedule there's a lot of interesting things they could do with an IP like Red Dead. It's the sort of thing I think it'd be fun to fund anonymously if I won the powerball.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    If RDR 2 is the story of Dutch's gang, it's entirely possible that Marston would be an incredibly minor background character. I don't think people need to assume that Rockstar is going to George Lucas that shit. They're pretty smart.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Hoping against prequel, honestly.

Considering the original RDR was purposely set at the veeeeeeeeery end of the days of the Old West, I'd prepare for disappointment.

Possibly. But on the other hand, you could make a Red Dead game set in a lot of different eras. "Western" is as much a stylistic and tonal choice as it is a chronological setting.

One of my pipe dreams has always been that they would make a "Red Dead" game set in the gangsters-and-G-men era of the depression, with the old-school automobiles and what have you. Or they could even go full-blown modern a la Cormac McCarthy/No Country For Old Men. Not that I think they're doing that with this release, but it's an interesting hypothetical.

i'd much prefer that they keep the series in the Old West, if only because there's a complete lack of games set in that time period. RDR was set towards the end of the era, but there's still a lot of ground they could cover in the setting.

Oh, on an R* release schedule I don't disagree. Like I said, pipe dream.

On an Ubisoft release schedule there's a lot of interesting things they could do with an IP like Red Dead. It's the sort of thing I think it'd be fun to fund anonymously if I won the powerball.

yeah, well there's almost nothing* that Ubisoft can't/wont drive into the ground. but still, while you can do a (quasi-)Western in other time periods, it can also be difficult to pull off. for example it would be really easy for a 20s set gangser/G-men game to just become another gangster/mafia type game. so for me, i think its best to just stick to the Old West for Westerns. at least until there's more of them, and developers have a better idea of what makes a Western game and can then translate that into other time periods and settings.

of course, if someone wants to take a crack at a modern or even 20th Century Western, i'm not going to complain.

*their latest BG&E tease better lead to something or so fucking help me God.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    GTA Vice City was a prequel

An unrelated story doesn't really count as a prequel.

What's the story of Red Dead Redemption 2

Not sure if you think you're making a point but we're saying we hope it's not a prequel because we don't know what the story is soooo... try again?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Come to think of it, there's veeeeeeery little overlap in the characters from the GTA games, is there? I doubt RDR2 will get Lucas'd.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm kind of hoping we get a completely different location

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    derp ignore this

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Come to think of it, there's veeeeeeery little overlap in the characters from the GTA games, is there? I doubt RDR2 will get Lucas'd.

It depends on how you look at it. There is almost no continuity in the GTA series from generation to generation, but within those generations there was a shitload of overlap. So, the PS2 games (GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas) had lots of overlapping characters, as did the GTA4 games and GTA5. But the protagonists and overall story were different from game to game.

Red Dead has a much smaller reference pool (only 2 games), so it's harder to notice a pattern. There were tiny references in Redemption to events that happened in Revolver, but they were very obscure and only the sort of thing you'd notice if you were OCD or spent a lot of time reading the wiki. For the most part Redemption was entirely its own story with no overlap at all with its predecessor, other than a pack of DLC multiplayer skins.

I'm personally not expecting the plot or protag to have anything to do with Marston/Dutch until I hear otherwise (which may be about 48 hours from now). By the time RDR2 comes out, Redemption will be nearly 8 years old. We know the ending of the story, and we know everything we really need to know about how it began. I'm sure they can make a good story about Marston and Dutch's early outlaw days if that's what they decided to do, but it's not a story that really cries out to be told, and in a brand new game there's no real incentive not to focus on another set of new and interesting characters. The West was a big place.

• Options
    there's also the general world links in the GTA games. the BAWSAQ and Pisswasser, along with the locations themselves. beyond that the games are pretty much stand alone with a few threads linking them here and there. would not be at all surprised if they handle the RDR games in a similar fashion.

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular

I'm with you on style and tone being key to a Western, even if the setting might not fit a "Red Dead" game. For a chronological sequel, my dream was to set it in the Russian Civil War and name it "Red Dead Revolution".

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Landon Ricketts in his prime.

DO IT

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular

I'm with you on style and tone being key to a Western, even if the setting might not fit a "Red Dead" game. For a chronological sequel, my dream was to set it in the Russian Civil War and name it "Red Dead Revolution".

I WANT IT TO BE THIS NOW.

Based on what I'm hearing, this game will be a Marston prequel. I'm not super excited about going back when John's story's already been told, but I trust these folks to do good work with it. Personally, I wanted the chronology to advance a bit, past where we ended up with Jack, where people are starting to switch to M1911s.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just give me the leather duster right from the start so I don't have to wear anything else. That was my favorite outfit in the first game. Looked so badass.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Honestly not sure if serious.

• Options
    The absurdity matrix is working as intended! :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Just give me the leather duster right from the start so I don't have to wear anything else. That was my favorite outfit in the first game. Looked so badass.

Just let me be a zombie saloon gal right from the start so I don't have to be anything else. That was my favorite outfit in the first game. Looked so badass.

• Options
    That would be cool too! Could you be a zombie gal in Undead Nightmare?

Also, if it is a prequel, it should totally be about Nigel West Dickens ;P

• Options
    I'm kind of wondering how they'll do the map in the sequel. RDR was a pastiche of pretty much EVERY environment we'd consider western, from the swampy bits near Louisiana to the rocky wilderness of Wyoming.

• Options
    That would be cool too! Could you be a zombie gal in Undead Nightmare?

Also, if it is a prequel, it should totally be about Nigel West Dickens ;P

latest?cb=20111030203151&path-prefix=es

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm kind of wondering how they'll do the map in the sequel. RDR was a pastiche of pretty much EVERY environment we'd consider western, from the swampy bits near Louisiana to the rocky wilderness of Wyoming.

There was that map leak from a few months back. Whether or not it's real is anyone's guess right now:
    Red%20Dead%20map%20leak.jpg

• Options
    Well, we'll know it's fake if RDR2 even mentions Mexico.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Interesting region names. Roanoke and Cumberland are cities in VA and MD, respectively, though Cumblerland is right on the MD/WV border. That would keep in line with RDR's compressed America.

Though Rockstar tends to be less on-the-nose than that when it comes to naming.

Honestly I don't give a shit what the map is. We're getting RDR2!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Here's a more readable version of that map, combined with RDR's territories of New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso for comparison. The new territory is noticeably bigger, but not unbelievably so. Although the it's kind of silly in a way, since we have no idea how the scale of the respective games would compare (ie, West Elizabeth, which is in both maps, might be bigger or smaller on the new map even if it was shaped just exactly the same), but it's interesting to look at at least.

Who knows if the leak is even genuine; I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't. And even if it was genuine at the time it was leaked, some of that content might get cut or changed by the final release. And it may be nothing but a mockup or a fake.

It sure looks like the kind of map Rockstar tends to make, though, with the names changed just enough that you understand what they reference, variation in the (presumed) biomes, settlements spaced out at regular intervals, and what have you. And it was leaked several months ago, before there was anything but rumors that they were working on an RDR sequel.

New Bordeaux, the big city that Mafia 3 is going to take place in, is also on the map, for what that's worth. RDR, GTA, and Mafia are all published by Take-Two Interactive, so that kind of cross-pollination isn't impossible, but that's not how R* usually likes to do things, which makes me a little more skeptical of it. And it seems a little weird that the railroad doesn't reach Blackwater, the second-largest settlement judging by green space.

• Options
    its worth noting that the bottom left corner is the last area you open up in RDR, Tall Trees and the Great Plains. not sure if that makes it more likely to be legit, or less so, but interesting that its in there.

• Options
    So Brad Shoemaker mentioned on twitter how great the soundtrack to RDR was, and this guy replied with this interesting series of tweets about it:

I'll copy and paste them here so you don't have to click on twitter:
    red dead redemption’s soundtrack was, remarkably, all composed in the key of A minor and at ratios of 130 beats per minute

the result of this was a soundtrack that the audio designers could cut together seamlessly, and my god did they make use of it

audio would change subtly if people started riding alongside you, would change more so if they were your friends our enemies

firing a gun would cause the soundtrack to leap into action, horns blaring, a minor, 130 beats per minute

it is a phenomenal modern example of a constraint being applied to a composer and them coming through in a major way

One of the guys who actually worked on the music also chimed in, which was interesting, but I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    ...set it in the Russian Civil War and name it "Red Dead Revolution".

Honestly not sure if serious.

Oh, I kinda am. Considering the previous game touched on the demise of the "old west", I tried to think of other takes or alternate settings that might be fun or interesting. That was my favorite that wasn't derivative of Last Man Standing or The Good, the Bad, the Weird, but I admit a big part of my amusement is the joke in the title.

(Disclaimer: I did chose my username to basically mean "orderly presented nonsense".)

• Options
    IZzr5Wo.jpg

Could support the prequel theory? Or is it confirmed to be a prequel?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Excite is real.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We know all we need to of John's story, so I kinda hope he's relegated to a bit role if so. Dutch's might be interesting, but there's no easy cutoff between his story and John's, and a lot of thematic similarities anyway.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to today's (i.e. Thursday's) trailer, just to see if the cel shading rumors are true.
    j/k
    there are no 'cel shading' rumors.
    Still looking forward to the trailer though.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Looking forward to today's (i.e. Thursday's) trailer, just to see if the cel shading rumors are true.
    j/k
    there are no 'cel shading' rumors.
    Still looking forward to the trailer though.

Red Dead Redemption? More like Cel Ceal Celcemption.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IZzr5Wo.jpg

Could support the prequel theory? Or is it confirmed to be a prequel?

I also thought that one character looked an awful lot like Bill Williamson. Of course, all those guys have bushy facial hair, and the real similarity is in the hat, which could be meaningless. Also, none of the men look like Javier Escuela, and I don't think the "John" looks particularly like Marston.

A little speculation:

According to the original game, Dutch's gang began more idealistic than it turned out in the end. Dutch taught John basic literacy, for instance, and we know he (Dutch) was sort of a radical anarchist/primitivist/would-be revolutionary. But over time Dutch started going the Kurtz route and became more interested in destroying everything, and the rest of his gang was caught up with him in his madness (kind of like Blood Meridian, now that I think about it).

If they do revisit that story, they could do some interesting stuff with it. Say, we have multiple protagonists who are in the gang for different reasons - some idealistic, some venal. That could culminate in forcing some pretty powerful choices on the player, and both GTA5 and GTA4 (to a lesser extent) got their climax by making the player choose the ultimate fate of their allies. So, if it does focus on Dutch's gang in its heyday, our protagonists may be new members of that gang, with the old ones as crucial NPCs, with the crucial choice being to stay or to leave when the spiral of violence begins to get worse. There's a lot they could do with that.

I'm still hoping for all-new characters. I like the original RDR story, and I feel it's complete as-is. But a prequel might still be pretty cool in its own right.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The very first time I saw the silhouettes I immediately saw the one right of center and never even questioned for a second that it was Bill Williamson.

I could be down for playing as Dutch. I'd prefer it keeps to 1 character but I fear it's going to jump around like GTAV.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind multiple characters. That made for some really fun missions in GTAV, like the heists or that mission where you pull that poor bastard out of that government building.

• Options
    Speaking of Dutch, the ONLY thing that bugged me about the original game was that Marston's final confrontation with the actual guy who shot him was kinda anticlimactic.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options

Protip to make this more bearable in two easy screenshots:
    Step 1:
    zo093eaapiue.jpg

Step 2: