As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Dead Redemption

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ok so when she gets angry at you she pepper sprays you and then you have to wait till she forgives you.

Ahhh, well that's a thing. I really want that buck charm so sorry lady...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ok so when she gets angry at you she pepper sprays you and then you have to wait till she forgives you.

Ahhh, well that's a thing. I really want that buck charm so sorry lady...

Got the first two charms and a bunch of hats working on the rest atm

Yeah I'll really just need to run a lot of my treasure maps and probably start back up with Cripps since I have a reason to gain exp. Maybe get the still brewing again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Does she not know who she's messing with? R*'s mute protagonists have killed people for far less.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    I do like how the trapper character is basically teddy Roosevelt.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Going to be honest , so far moonshiner is still my favorite role. More fun makes more sense and has an actual plot.

Going to be honest , so far moonshiner is still my favorite role. More fun makes more sense and has an actual plot.

Moonshiner or Bounty Hunter. I don't mind trader or collector but they both feel like side gigs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah the story missions set them apart . This update is giving me a headache good thing is that it’s a short outlaw pass , I can unlock javiers outfit and take a break while they maybe tweak the role a bit. Also super wish you could use bills coat by itself . Looks really cool , I implore you R*!

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I forget, how long do the outlaw passes usually last for?

Joolander on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This one runs up to October some time. 19th I think?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited July 2020
    Which is the best of the original 3 roles for making gold/money? It's gonna be a while before I can afford any of them but I'm wondering which to get first. I was thinking bounty hunter, then collector, then trader.

It depends what your goals are.

Collector BY FAR is the best at generating money if you're outright grinding it by just following the scavenger hunt route that's generated by the third party jeanropke map, but it's also soul-suckingly tedious and not fun. It's also the best at generating XP since you start tripping over assorted collector items and you get a chunk of xp every time that you pick one up. I started ignoring it and just started passively collecting collections from NPC loot. I think there are two or three items in each collection that are either very rare or simply aren't on drop tables, so I'll occasionally just fire up the jeanropke map to collect those few missing pieces after acquiring a 90% collection from npc loot.

Trader is a good consistent money-maker if you enjoy hunting. It doesn't really bring much to the table if you don't enjoy hunting. Unlike GTA's businesses, trader is pretty much the opposite. It's usually best to just source supplies via missions rather than paying for them, and short distance deliveries are arguably the better bang for your buck once you consider how far back that you'll be set if you get blown up during a long distance delivery with the target that it paints on your head. Completing a long distance delivery does let you unlock moonshiner earlier, but if you're starting from scratch you'll likely be meeting the prerequisites long before you acquire enough gold to buy moonshiner.

Moonshiner is my favorite money making business since it's pretty hands off, so you're free to do whatever you want between sales.

Bounty hunter by far is the worst at making money, but it is the only profession that generates gold (note, I haven't looked into the new naturalist profession yet). You also generally end up in a lot of big gunfights as a bounty hunter, which means lots of bodies to loot and lots of dice rolls to find treasure maps. Also bounty hunter unlocks fun things like being able to use eagle eye while at a full gallop.

So, in a vacuum, I'd recommend bounty hunter first before branching off into the other professions. Collector is a good #2 IMO since you'll get a lot of trader collections from the npcs that you kill during your bounty hunter missions.

@Brovid Hasselsmof
    Heads up, but collector got hit with the nerf bat. Its most profitable collections are random now. It may still be the best money maker since not all of the collections are random, but the less profitable collections were more tedious to collect with less payoff.
    https://github.com/jeanropke/RDR2CollectorsMap/wiki/Naturalist-Update-Changes
    In the update, Rockstar made changes to the collectible spots to make them less predictable. Unlike a cycle change which we can update easily daily, this is a more complicated change that prevents anyone from using a map to rush to a specific spot and gather a specific collectible they need. In other words, what item you get from a spot will be completely random with no way to tell which item you're going to get, other than the loot tables.

This change has been made for Arrowheads, Coins, most Jewelry, some Heirlooms and the new Fossil sets. These being the best sets in terms of rewards is annoying, but also probably the reason why the changed the Collector role to now be this way.

however note
    All other sets, Cards, Bottles, and Flowers haven't changed in the update. This means the map will still be able to provide you with locations for those items.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Sucks that the moonshiner bug is still there where it won't actually start the moon shine mission.

I did notice now trade rolls have their own (complete *blank* dailies) reward. You only need to do 9 of them, so if you have all the roles unlocked you can easily hit that and not have to do some annoying ones.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I will probably go bounty hunter first to get gold for the others then. Then trader I guess cos I do enjoy hunting, and then collector just because why not do that while wandering around the map.

Just need to get 10 more gold to buy my first role. It's fucking slow going at the start.

The only daily I got today was the "photograph your horse" one. Spent fucking ages looking for wintergreen berries using the item map and couldn't find any for some reason. Then got Clever Girled by a pair of grizzlies so gave up and did something else.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Sucks that the moonshiner bug is still there where it won't actually start the moon shine mission.

Ugggh that is exactly why I stopped selling moonshine like 6 months ago. It's disappointing they never fixed it but not at all surprising.

Strikor wrote: »

Ugggh that is exactly why I stopped selling moonshine like 6 months ago. It's disappointing they never fixed it but not at all surprising.

Yeah I think its an issue when too many people are playing at once, which is like "maybe fix your garbage?". I mean it took them like a year and a half to finally fix animal spawns?

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Leveling this role is so slow... are you supposed to sell the samples by collections ? Can you even do that? And her missions are so annoying!

Leveling this role is so slow... are you supposed to sell the samples by collections ? Can you even do that? And her missions are so annoying!

Yeah I've relegated it to "when I remember to/doing dailies" I imagine. I noticed you don't get "stamps" on the various enviro creatures until you sell them to the lady.

I haven't checked but I hope there is another 2k exp ticket in the season pass to unlock more stuff. I want a wildnerness camp!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I will probably go bounty hunter first to get gold for the others then. Then trader I guess cos I do enjoy hunting, and then collector just because why not do that while wandering around the map.

Just need to get 10 more gold to buy my first role. It's fucking slow going at the start.

The only daily I got today was the "photograph your horse" one. Spent fucking ages looking for wintergreen berries using the item map and couldn't find any for some reason. Then got Clever Girled by a pair of grizzlies so gave up and did something else.

The Dirty Tyler YouTube page has a lot of videos perfect for finding particular daily challenges:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKw9EffLD0E

edited July 2020
    Okay so the nature tag event is real good, when someone gets a sample EVERYONE gets it and it updates the book too.

Edit does anyone know where the onyx Aubrey ring spawned today ? Trying to finish the trinkets.

EspantaPajaro on
    Okay so the nature tag event is real good, when someone gets a sample EVERYONE gets it and it updates the book too.

Edit does anyone know where the onyx Aubrey ring spawned today ? Trying to finish the trinkets.

Sweet I think I'm almost up to unlocking those events.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I liked trader because I like hunting. I like the new role because you can go on "extended hunting trips" and never fill up! So you can go as long as you feel like and still have tons of stuff to sell for money/xp. Also, samples are what gets you stamps, nothing else. Just going out and tagging everything you see for awhile, going back and selling it to her gets you decent xp.

So a couple of things :

I’m told Gus has an outfit for each legendary animal , it just doesn’t appear until you sell him the pelt . So after you finish leveling check it out .

Rank 11 /20 uggh almost there .
    Legendary cougar is a bitch and ambushed me leaving my camp ( was right outside black water )
    Still haven’t gotten the fox to respawn for me .
    Naturalist is not for making money it’s a money sink for players that are rich and want cool outfits and things and in that way it works .
    God I’m bleeding cash since I haven’t been trading or doing moonshine runs as I do all the new stuff.
    Rumors are stating that the reason this outlaw pass is so small is because there is going to be a special Halloween one . So I guess I better grind challenges again cause I don’t have any gold left after buying the pass and role.
    Just missing the necklace for the last trinket and I have them all , the switch to random jewelry kinda fucked me today.
    If you take a mission from Harriet you can skin the animal and give it to Gus so don’t worry about it . She was going to pepper spray you anyway , crazy bitch.

Rumors are stating that the reason this outlaw pass is so small is because there is going to be a special Halloween one . So I guess I better grind challenges again cause I don’t have any gold left after buying the pass and role.
    I don't see a reason to grind the obnoxious dailies. Where about 60 days out from the start of October, so that's 30 gold just from maintaining a maximized daily streak at a rate of one daily challenge a day. Then there's the refunded gold from the outlaw pass as you complete it. Finally there's cashing in any treasure maps that are collecting dust. That should be ~70 gold at a minimum if you maintain a daily streak and if you complete the current outlaw pass before you even delve into treasure maps.

Granted, that assumes that you have an active daily streak. But on the other hand, one likely isn't going to put such a minimal low tier effort in and may complete multiple low hanging fruit dailies or complete some stranger missions over that period.

3DS Friend Code:
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So the math on the Outlaw Pass works out like the last one so you get 100% of your gold back if you finish it?

Strikor on
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't checked. I've been busy the past few days and have only had time to maintain my dailies. I haven't even signed up as a naturalist yet. However I haven't heard any wailing and gnashing of teeth complaining about it not refunding all of your gold over the course of completing it.

3DS Friend Code:
    It does I’m just used to having 100 + so having only ten left after a spending spree is messing with me.

Yeah doing the naturalist event is pretty fun and easy way to get samples including legendary samples! Just have to watch for poachers.

Also I didn't notice until I did it last night, but trade roles now cap at doing 9 a day. So like you get a cap bonus that wasn't there before, but you also can't do any more trade role dailies. I like that I think? Because normally I would not bother doing role stuff beyond an easy one, now I have a reason to do 9 and then the game is like "done here's your reward".

Harriest is growing on me, her sing songy delivery of one of the legendary animal missions amused me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I guess Rockstar messed something up because I just got a reward for linking my Twitch prime account to my Rockstar social club account, and I don't even have a twitch account. Bunch of free stuff for the new role, some tonics, and 1000 Rockstar Funbux.

I celebrated by buying myself a new horse to replace the one I got from the first story mission. My horse in single player is the dark bay Andalusian called Zero and I love him very much. So I bought myself the same horse in a different coat for online and named him Subzero.
    0_0.jpg

My character's name is Rusty Spoons and I was very sad to discover it never gets used anywhere because I think that's a pretty good hobo cowboy type name.

I guess Rockstar messed something up because I just got a reward for linking my Twitch prime account to my Rockstar social club account, and I don't even have a twitch account. Bunch of free stuff for the new role, some tonics, and 1000 Rockstar Funbux.

I celebrated by buying myself a new horse to replace the one I got from the first story mission. My horse in single player is the dark bay Andalusian called Zero and I love him very much. So I bought myself the same horse in a different coat for online and named him Subzero.
    0_0.jpg

My character's name is Rusty Spoons and I was very sad to discover it never gets used anywhere because I think that's a pretty good hobo cowboy type name.

Yeah a lot of people are reporting that , enjoy the horse.

Man for anyone going after the legendary fox from Harriet don't get away from your horse... that fucking fox...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Man for anyone going after the legendary fox from Harriet don't get away from your horse... that fucking fox...
    The one where the hunters have dogs chasing him ? Yeah fuck that mission. In other news still hunting for the necklace for the last trinket

The one where the hunters have dogs chasing him ? Yeah fuck that mission. In other news still hunting for the necklace for the last trinket

Yeah I went on foot to cross the water (easier than navigating the gators with my horse) and the fox ran like a mother fucker and my dumb horse never caught up. Thankfully one of the dogs like slowed the fox and I was able to tranq it. It was also the longest of the legendary hunts so far, like just in length of time to find it and interact with it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Oh man I was able to sample a panther. I figured that one would just sit there for me, but as I was chasing a black bear a fucking panther almost ate me but I tranq'd and tagged them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2020
    I’ve been Chainbuying jewelry maps from Nazar all day . I have completed 5 different sets but have not found fucking ONE Braxton necklace for the last trinket. Went up 20 levels on the pass just from the xp . On a positive note I had a silver Kladruber in my stables that I bought but never leveled so I’ve been using him . Named him Brickhouse and he is cool. Also had a roadster I had to set free because I got the dreaded dead horse glitch with him . ( if you fill every stable with a horse one of them will spawn with no cores every time you leave the stable ) . Waiting to hear they fixed that to buy a horse for the final slot. Also the game won’t let me connect for the past 30 mins think I’m done for now.

EspantaPajaro on
    I’ve been Chainbuying jewelry maps from Nazar all day . I have completed 5 different sets but have not found fucking ONE Braxton necklace for the last trinket. Went up 20 levels on the pass just from the xp . On a positive note I had a silver Kladruber in my stables that I bought but never leveled so I’ve been using him . Named him Brickhouse and he is cool. Also had a roadster I had to set free because I got the dreaded dead horse glitch with him . ( if you fill every stable with a horse one of them will spawn with no cores every time you leave the stable ) . Waiting to hear they fixed that to buy a horse for the final slot. Also the game won’t let me connect for the past 30 mins think I’m done for now.

I haven't had that horse glitch now I'm worried.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I haven't had that horse glitch now I'm worried.

Don’t be it only happens when you fill all 10 slots and it isn’t guaranteed.

Also yay I finally got all the trinkets ! Today’s observations:

While you can hunt and skin the legendary animals in Harriets missions using dynamite damages it too much and gives you nothing
    Kladruber is a beast , so big .
    Collector continues to be the best way to level the season pass , just half assing it today looking for that goddamn necklace got me 30 levels .
    No new cripp harmonica songs in the pass =/ , I really liked those .
    I am rapidly running out of money buying the garment sets from Gus but once I’m done with them I will have everything I wanted from him and will be able to focus on leveling the role which sits at lvl 12 atm.

Ok no so worried I only have like 4 horses.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2020
    Man the horse stamina trinket is insane , it stacks with the saddle and stirrup . Was watching the stamina bar as I played and it never went beneath 97 % even without calming the horse . It’s just straight up infinite stamina.

EspantaPajaro on
    Sounds like I can ditch the clown-shoe stirrups then.

3DS Friend Code:
    Finally got a different event for naturalist, defend a cougar from poachers as it gets to its destination. shit is no joke, its like protect the train level amount of poachers and their aim can be fucking deadly.

pleasepaypreacher.net