As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australian's may lose Age of Conan

turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dadis the best.Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
So I was over at The Escapist looking for the new ZP when this article caught my eye.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89166-Australia-Clamps-Down-On-Unrated-MMOG-Sales

Seems like there was a loophole in Australian law that let games hosted in other countries bypass the Australian rating system. The Australian government wants to fix this. While it wouldn't affect most MMOs since their almost all rated T or under (or whatever the equivalent PEGI rating is). However Age of Conan is rated M, which could cause some trouble for the game if this loophole is addressed.

Now I'm not an Australian so I don't know if Age of Conan bieng pulled is likely if this change goes through but it would really suck if it did.

X22wmuF.jpg
turtleant on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It isn't just Age of Conan, it's any online-only game.

Rating systems apply to single player only. When online becomes a factor, the interaction with other players can go above what would be considered "M." Now, you can rate the actual content of the game (which is why WoW is T, AoC is M, etc). I hope that is made the argument, because social interaction in a game is social interaction. The government would have to act on social interaction through websites, instant messaging, phone calls, etc.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I read an article saying this would directly affect World of Warcraft since they bypassed the ratings process since there's no Single Player componenet. That's a lot of people.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Rating systems apply to single player only. When online becomes a factor, the interaction with other players can go above what would be considered "M." Now, you can rate the actual content of the game (which is why WoW is T, AoC is M, etc). I hope that is made the argument, because social interaction in a game is social interaction. The government would have to act on social interaction through websites, instant messaging, phone calls, etc.

Of course, and they've probably got a raging hardon at the chance to try their hand at it.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Of course, and they've probably got a raging hardon at the chance to try their hand at it.

It is the Australian government, after all.

Djiem on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    I read an article saying this would directly affect World of Warcraft since they bypassed the ratings process since there's no Single Player componenet. That's a lot of people.

I can't imagine the amount of rage this would generate in comparison to the vanishingly small number of people who would be happy with the result. In other words, politically untenable.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think anyone would notice if Australia lost age of conan. There are so few people playing that game after the first month and noticing that it was horribly broken past level 30ish.

Wow would be a larger effect, but there isn't any risk of them axing that. Wow probably did bypass the rating system, but all that would mean is this new law would mean they would have to go back and rate it. Wow is pretty kiddy in the graphics department. The only problem would be if they rated the social interaction as previously stated. If they do that, then it would be a new low for lawmakers having no clue about technology and its usage.

Smudge on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    if anything it'll be a temporary issue while the ratings board figures out a classification system for massively multiplayer games, which is a good thing and should have happened already

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    turtleant wrote: »
    [...]I don't know if Age of Conan bieng pulled is likely if this change goes through but it would really suck if it did.
    Uh...

What?

I will pay the Australian attorney general 10 Great British Pounds to come to our shores and ban Age of Conan.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, do they need to play Conan there? I saw this documentary once on Australia, and it looks like they have all the entertainment they need, what with that Lord Humungus guy running about.

GungHo on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, seriously though, what's up with Australia? You'd think the descendants of scum and villains would be a little less anal about virtual violence and boobies, but every time someone mentions a video game and Australia in the same sentence it's all "hey it's banned" or something.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, seriously though, what's up with Australia? You'd think the descendants of scum and villains would be a little less anal about virtual violence and boobies, but every time someone mentions a video game and Australia in the same sentence it's all "hey it's banned" or something.

o_O
    :|
    :x

Rizzi on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's one guy who keeps vetoing changes to the rating system as he is a right wing nut, I've been led to believe. Pretty much as soon a he bites it the ratings might actually have a chance of being fixed.

Leitner on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

It's one guy who keeps vetoing changes to the rating system as he is a right wing nut, I've been led to believe. Pretty much as soon a he bites it the ratings might actually have a chance of being fixed.

Correct.
    r162204_596180.jpg
    This old fucker.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »

o_O

Oh come on, they're a bunch of people that england was like "alright, we don't even want you around here anymore."

It's not like America, where the weirdos left of their own free will, they were kicked out.

EDIT: oh wait, I see, your location. I meant "you're a bunch of people that england was like etc."

<3

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I havent heard anything about this in Australia. What are the escapists sources?

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009

I find this hilarious coming from a descendant of religious puritans that were too extreme for Europe and got kicked off to that other continent.

Echo on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Australians may not care

Iriah on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

o_O

It’s a basic rule of the Internet at this point that whenever someone mentions Australia, someone else has to mention one of the following:

a) Criminals
    b) Foster’s beer
    c) Kangaroos
    d) Deadly spiders or snakes

To the topic at hand: Considering that our government is trying to introduce that delightful Internet filtering initiative, I’m not surprised at all by this.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Two things,

1. This only affects one state, New South Wales. Not the whole of Australia.

2. There is no apostrophe in "Australians" and it is bugging me every time I see this thread.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mmm, I've heard about this. I work retail at a games store here in Aus, and we've decided to just keep selling the damn things anyway until we get some sort of official cease and desist from the OFLC. All in all, the thing is that it shouldn't take too long for these games to become legal to sell. Technically all the publishers have to do is submit the games to the ratings board, which doesn't take that long.

But it's odds on that the government, seeing an unexploited opportunity to cram more of their opinions down our throats, will probably take the time to write new censorship laws for online games. And THAT will take forever.

Also I'd like to take the opportunity to say, fuck this country. With our shit-tacular PM blowing our entire budget surplus and then some on trivial shit that will not help and has not helped the economy AT ALL despite what he thinks, and the government having a massive hard on for censorship, political correctness and control in general, it's a pretty shitty place to live right now.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AJR wrote: »

o_O

It’s a basic rule of the Internet at this point that whenever someone mentions Australia, someone else has to mention one of the following:

a) Criminals
    b) Foster’s beer
    c) Kangaroos
    d) Deadly spiders or snakes

To the topic at hand: Considering that our government is trying to introduce that delightful Internet filtering initiative, I’m not surprised at all by this.

Well only criminals with Foster's beer would be okay living with kangaroos, deadly spiders and snakes.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »

I find this hilarious coming from a descendant of religious puritans that were too extreme for Europe and got kicked off to that other continent.

Well, we have our share of religious refugees but we probably got more immigrants that were tired of being hungry. Now their descendants are all fat so it seems to have worked out ok.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mmm, I've heard about this. I work retail at a games store here in Aus, and we've decided to just keep selling the damn things anyway until we get some sort of official cease and desist from the OFLC. All in all, the thing is that it shouldn't take too long for these games to become legal to sell. Technically all the publishers have to do is submit the games to the ratings board, which doesn't take that long.

But it's odds on that the government, seeing an unexploited opportunity to cram more of their opinions down our throats, will probably take the time to write new censorship laws for online games. And THAT will take forever.

Also I'd like to take the opportunity to say, fuck this country. With our shit-tacular PM blowing our entire budget surplus and then some on trivial shit that will not help and has not helped the economy AT ALL despite what he thinks, and the government having a massive hard on for censorship, political correctness and control in general, it's a pretty shitty place to live right now.

You guys really should not have let your government copy what is going on in the UK. In fact you need to convince all of your leaders that what is going on in the UK is a giant performance piece on how screwed up a country would be if it followed 1984 like a bible.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad