Options

Would it make Metalbourne happy if I [CHAT] in his breakfast cereal?

• Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well It's kinda like the GI Joe safety report things where random people edited those to be rediculously halarious which was retarded in the first place.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The star trek things were hilarious.

PROX on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So watching S_O and Jan's brilliant Next Generation edits has gotten me vaguely interested in Star Trek. I mean, I've tried watching individual episodes of TNG and some of the other shows in the past, but it's always seemed generally really dull, and always made me feel like I was missing whatever the big picture was needed to made the whole thing interesting.

Now it looks like CBS has the original series up on online. Is any of it going to do anything to enlighten me to what the hubbub is all about? Or is it just going to make me think the whole thing is really dumb?

The original series is, more or less, quite shitty. There's basically a lot of shittyness in star trek, but when it's good it can be pretty amazing.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think OS Star Trek is awesome! But I do like silly things and I am a fan of Shatner, so...

Next Gen has some great episodes in there with the sometimes dull ones. The one where the enterprise is taken over by terrorists and Picard pretends to be the ship's barber and is running round killing people with a crossbow is 'Under Siege' as fuck!!

Everything past Next Gen is pretty meh... Voyager is bloody horrible, I only need to hear that woman captain's voice and I go into an immediate murdarizing rage.

Basically Picard and Shatner are good.

Grenn on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know what? If my body wasn't so annoyingly delicate, I'd probably want to climb Everest someday.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess it's safe to breathe here once again while the Americans sleep. Everything in the chat thread always happens around 3 am!

Also Prox what are you making for ND's birthday present?

Edit: How come I didn't notice ND posting before me

no_toast on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If my body wasn't so annoyingly lazy, I'd probably want get up from this chair someday.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DS9 is amazing though, Grenn, despite its first two seasons.

I'd heard about an episode of DS9 I hadn't seen called The Visitor. I just watched it. Let me just say that there were tears. Possibly heaving sobs. Voyager is a bit of fun, but yes, also full of shittyness.

There were like 24 episodes a season. About 7 or 8 would be amazing. 7 or 8 would be entertaining enough. And 7 or 8 would be piss boring.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So a pair of satellites have collided in orbit, one of them being a multi-billion dollar Motorola Iridium satellite.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/02/11/satellites-collide-in-orbit/

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Good morning!

Any angsty petulance today?

It's a complete whiteout fog here. We're on the 17th floor and can't see a thing in any direction.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do any of you watch Big Bang Theory?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

No.

A friend whose opinion on TV I generally trust has begun a campaign to convince me that it's good, but I don't believe her and I think she's just trying to troll me. I can't believe the show is actually any good, but she was right about 30 Rock and Always Sunny.

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Six wrote: »

No.

A friend whose opinion on TV I generally trust has begun a campaign to convince me that it's good, but I don't believe her and I think she's just trying to troll me. I can't believe the show is actually any good, but she was right about 30 Rock and Always Sunny.

What are you basing your judgment on? I mean, the disbelief that it could be good. What information are you using to form your opinion?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No.

What are you basing your judgment on? I mean, the disbelief that it could be good. What information are you using to form your opinion?

My own petty insecurities.

I really have little to go on other than:

a) I find almost any network sitcom to be banal and boring
    b) Every snippet of BBT that I've ever seen has been banal, boring, and patronizing

I've grown to accept the fact that it's probably watchable, at least in small doses, but I'm stubborn so I refuse to. Keep in mind my reason for not watching 30 Rock for years was that I worked on the 30th floor of 30 Rock up until a few weeks before the show premeired. It's a stupid reason not to watch a tv show.

Also, I just don't watch that much tv.

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, well, I suppose there's no arguing with that.

I find it to be the most endearing and well-constructed sitcom I've seen in a long long time, and of course the science nut in me loves the references and in-jokes.

Either way, the point was that Bill Prady, one of the co-creators, is giving the keynote at TAM this year and I get to meet him.

Woooo.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I find it to be the most endearing and well-constructed sitcom I've seen in a long long time, and of course the science nut in me loves the references and in-jokes.

Either way, the point was that Bill Prady, one of the co-creators, is giving the keynote at TAM this year and I get to meet him.

Woooo.

See, your recommendation carries way more weight. The whole premise looked so ridiculously patronizing to geek culture. I guess it's not as bad as I thought it would be? Off the top of my head, I think only Futurama has ever really done that kind of humor well.

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Woooo.

See, your recommendation carries way more weight. The whole premise looked so ridiculously patronizing to geek culture. I guess it's not as bad as I thought it would be? Off the top of my head, I think only Futurama has ever really done that kind of humor well.

You know, I actually here that a lot.

The thing is, the geeks are the heroes in this one. They aren't the comic relief or the foil to some hollywood beauty. The show is really about them and how they deal with things and while it certainly exaggerates certain things, I know people exactly like every single one of them.

And there's a large percentage of the jokes where they say something smart and the "normal" blonde waitress across the hall doesn't get it. It's her not understanding that's the joke, not that these geeks are saying geeky things.

So, yeah, I like it. And there are little things like how the equations on their white board is actually progressing through a physics issue written up by a CalTech professor.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *sigh*

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Is it good right from the beginning, or does it take a while to get its legs?

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I thought it was good from the start.

I'm just stating my personal preference. I look forward to it every week, but I won't be bothered if you decide to skip it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just hate giving in!

In other news, why won't the sun come out?

Six on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Because it's over here in southern Spain, busy making up for the apparently abnormally shitty weather we've had this winter.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Because it's over here in southern Spain, busy making up for the apparently abnormally shitty weather we've had this winter.

Awesome. Do you live in Southern Spain Crawdaddio? I've wanted to go there for a few years now.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NAC, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you, work is crazy!!!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    NO SIR, YOU ARE CRAZY

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So, I know I'm waaaay behind everyone but, I saw Taken last night... bad ass.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Juice is so yummy would someone that is anorexic consider juice a delicious thing to drink?

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Awesome. Do you live in Southern Spain Crawdaddio? I've wanted to go there for a few years now.

I'm living there at least until the middle of June; I'm doing this teaching program there, helping kids in the public schools learn English by pretending I don't understand their Spanish. Which, honestly, isn't always that far from the truth; kids are apparently a lot harder to understand than adults, and that's saying something, going off of Andalusian Spanish...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio is my hero.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm living there at least until the middle of June; I'm doing this teaching program there, helping kids in the public schools learn English by pretending I don't understand their Spanish. Which, honestly, isn't always that far from the truth; kids are apparently a lot harder to understand than adults, and that's saying something, going off of Andalusian Spanish...

I'd love to do this.
    Does anyone else think the schools in the US should do this too? I sure as shit do (but with another language besides english... obviously). We'd probably get all those "SPEEK AMARICAN DAMMIT!" people though.

NAC: keep your filthy paws off him, he's mine.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, shoot, fellas, there's no need to fight over me; I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else. Of course, I do it in Spain, but then again, so do about 46M other people...

EDIT: By the way, if it seems like something you'd be interested in doing, you could always apply. Or learn more about it.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, shoot, fellas, there's no need to fight over me; I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else. Of course, I do it in Spain, but then again, so do about 46M other people...

I actually put both legs into my pants at the same time. However, I tend to suddenly meet the floor face to face when I do this...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

I actually put both legs into my pants at the same time. However, I tend to suddenly meet the floor face to face when I do this...

Yeah, it's just a figure of speech.

I actually don't wear pants.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I actually don't wear pants.

You're a genius. Why didn't I think of that?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited February 2009
    See, that's why you're not in southern Spain...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    See, that's why you're not in southern Spain...

Because I wear pants?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    I actually, more often than not, really do put my pants on both legs at once. I find it a great way to start the morning by jumping into my pants.

I totally set myself up with that comment.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I actually, more often than not, really do put my pants on both legs at once. I find it a great way to start the morning by jumping into my pants.

I totally set myself up with that comment.

I wish I were brave enough to jump in your pants.
    :winky:

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I literaly jump out of bed in the morning.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't wear pants.

Six on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

EDIT: By the way, if it seems like something you'd be interested in doing, you could always apply. Or learn more about it.

But then you go and teach people. So that is awesome.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.