As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - Mutant and Symbiote edition

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The pack needs more hercules and victor mancha
    Nothing needs more Victor Mancha.

Except maybe a list of characters too boring to live.

This coming from a guy with Chase Stein as his avatar.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Look, Chase used to be awesome before BKV retconned the hell out of him in his last arc.
    You know, back when he killed someone and wasn't just some emo kid that PRETENDED like he killed someone so his dad hitting him was justified or whatever the fuck

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Time to unlock the characters for finding trophies. This should be a blast, especially on a legendary playthrough.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Played and beat this game with a friend in one sitting. This one is so much better than the first it's not even funny. But local co-op is weird. Sometimes I'd get an achievement for beating a level but my friend wouldn't, and I'm the only one that can unlock costumes and stuff.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Played and beat this game with a friend in one sitting. This one is so much better than the first it's not even funny. But local co-op is weird. Sometimes I'd get an achievement for beating a level but my friend wouldn't, and I'm the only one that can unlock costumes and stuff.

Yeah for a game centered on co-op it seems somewhat poorly implemented.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I...I just can't finish this game. It was so good until
    I finished Black Panther's level

then it got so boring, it feels like a chore just to look at the title screen. I don't know what happened!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Time to unlock the characters for finding trophies. This should be a blast, especially on a legendary playthrough.

Legendary isn't all that bad until the nanite tower levels. Just use Hulk's charge attack, it will tackle 3/4 of the bosses in the game. You'll render them completely helpless as you constantly tackle them for buttloads of damage while taking none in return.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Look, Chase used to be awesome before BKV retconned the hell out of him in his last arc.
    You know, back when he killed someone and wasn't just some emo kid that PRETENDED like he killed someone so his dad hitting him was justified or whatever the fuck

Hey, at least Chase got off easy. My favorite character was Alex.

But man, what a way to go.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Legendary isn't all that bad until the nanite tower levels. Just use Hulk's charge attack, it will tackle 3/4 of the bosses in the game. You'll render them completely helpless as you constantly tackle them for buttloads of damage while taking none in return.

I still have to unlock him.

And playing the first few levels as the default team was killing me. I wanted to play as other people damn it.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there a new game+ option? I'm going through my current play through now and I want to know if I can start over with any character from the start and at the higher levels?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    After you beat the game, you have the option to restart the game with you current levels and everything you've obtained at that point, but you have to play it on Legendary difficulty.

You can also select any mission you've beaten from the simulator and replay it at your current levels.

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Seaaaannnnnnnnnnnn.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Si, senor?

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Si, senor?

I didn't realize you post on here. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know why, but I really was disappointed with this one. Seemed way too short and less polished than the first and even the xbox xmen games.

I dunno I just cant place it but this just left a bad taste in my mouth.

And then there is the upcoming DLC. I already beat it with each side and on the hardest difficulty. I am normally a DLC whore, but I think I will be passing on this one.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was a step forward for me in many areas - the interface, the power consolidation, the story, overall better control response.

It was a step back in other areas though - fewer characters/costumes, RPG elements scaled farther back

I really like the idea of team boosts that help everyone in your group, but there should still be ways to customize individual characters like the suit powers from MUA 1.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have been thinking about getting this to round out my Wii's collection with a good fighter.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Josiah_9 wrote: »
    I have been thinking about getting this to round out my Wii's collection with a good fighter.

This is a brawler. If you want a fighter, wait for Capcom vs. Tatsunoko (sp).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I borrowed this from a friend last night.

It's good! I'm quite enjoying it so far. All these tales of it being worse than MUA filled me with doubt, but so far it's really cool. I love the Civil War-style art presentation (even if I don't dig that story), the graphics are much nicer in motion than I thought they'd be, and I love the fact that individual costumes don't have their own powers attached to them.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I borrowed this from a friend last night.

It's good! I'm quite enjoying it so far. All these tales of it being worse than MUA filled me with doubt, but so far it's really cool. I love the Civil War-style art presentation (even if I don't dig that story), the graphics are much nicer in motion than I thought they'd be, and I love the fact that individual costumes don't have their own powers attached to them.

Which system did you play it on? I have heard play control differs per system.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm playing it on 360.

Just made the choice (pro because fuck Captain America) and still loving it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I really like the idea of team boosts that help everyone in your group, but there should still be ways to customize individual characters like the suit powers from MUA 1.

Isn't this more or less present through the leveling up features? The only difference is that the bonuses to each character is (partially) dictated by whether or not you went Pro or Anti-Registration.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I went back through to play the pro-registration side, and I'm already regretting it.
    The first task you get is to beat up Patriot? He's a teenager, and he doesn't even fight back, really. I was all sad and junk.

Everyone on pro-reg sounds like douchebags, also.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The DLC for this was released today. So far most of the DLC characters are pretty fun, though I haven't played Black Panther too much yet. Magneto is not surprisingly pretty damn powerful in particular, having some nice damage and control.

The new team boost "Unrepentant Killers" (Magneto, Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin) is pretty ridiculous too, making all the team members very survivable.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I went back through to play the pro-registration side, and I'm already regretting it.
    The first task you get is to beat up Patriot? He's a teenager, and he doesn't even fight back, really. I was all sad and junk.

Everyone on pro-reg sounds like douchebags, also.

Psh, pro-reg is simply too cool for school.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    New DLC:

Black Panther's LT+B move is nice. He runs around all crazy and slashes everyone. Cable has become my new ranged favorite, with both single target and cone damage off the charts. Psylocke kinda sucks, I got her costume and put her away. I can't seem to beat Magneto, though. After trying with the X-Men team and then again with my own team a few times, I just gave it up.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    New DLC:

Black Panther's LT+B move is nice. He runs around all crazy and slashes everyone. Cable has become my new ranged favorite, with both single target and cone damage off the charts. Psylocke kinda sucks, I got her costume and put her away. I can't seem to beat Magneto, though. After trying with the X-Men team and then again with my own team a few times, I just gave it up.

My strategy against Magneto was to use the unrepentant killers team and run away spamming Master's Hand (RT+Y) with Magneto when low on health. The bonus from unrepentant killers (5% damage returned as health) allows Magneto to quickly regain health when spamming Master's Hand. Pretty much what I used to get Carnage's costume from beating Insidious Alliance as well.

Also: With some more experience under my belt with the DLC characters, this is my current opinions.

Magneto: He has two awesome crowd control abilities and Master's Hand which deals an absolutely amazing amount of damage. In addition, he gives leadership boosts, making him an awesome character for any team.

Cable: A pretty insane ranged fighter, his Particle Beam (RT+Y) deals high single target damage (and can continue past that target in case multiple enemies are in a line), his Stun Mortar (RT+X) is a pretty wide cone AoE with some crowd control, and he has his RT+B to keep enemies off of him. The only move I found pretty usless was his RT+A. Kind of wish they had tossed him a telekinetic throw or something instead.

Black Panther: Pretty much a high damage dealing melee fighter, though he does seem a bit on the squishy side (at least everytime I've used him he's gone down pretty fast, though I may just be getting unlucky). Probably need to try him a bit more off of Legendary (or with a team) to see how he is, but so far he seems good a taking care of crowds with RT+B and RT+X, and has high single target damage with his Panther's pounce (RT+Y).

Carnage: A pretty good close range scrapper, he's got a move to close the gap between enemies (RT+A), a move to keep crowd's busy (normal enemies cannot move when he spam's his symbiote surprise), and a high damage close range attack (RT+Y) and a decent ranged attack (RT+X).

Psylocke: She's considered the most underwhelming character, but I've been finding her pretty effective. Her RT+A allows her to close the gap quickly, her Butterfly kick (RT+B) keeps enemies busy and is a decent AoE, her RT+X is a wide AoE stun, and her RT+Y is like Carnage and Black Panther's in that it's high single target damage.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Downloaded all the new guys and Juggernaut last night. Juggernaut and Cable are my favorites, but Carnage seems fun too.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just got a copy of this on the cheap.
    Looks promising.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Downloaded all the new guys and Juggernaut last night. Juggernaut and Cable are my favorites, but Carnage seems fun too.

I need to get back into this game and get all the dlc.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Playing through with the new characters sort of gave the game a shot in the arm for me.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gambit is so awesome..

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The game just froze up during the DC mission. :( I went into the menu to get rid of Captain America and the game just froze up, and the controller started vibrating like mad.
    Is this common? :?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    The game just froze up during the DC mission. :( I went into the menu to get rid of Captain America and the game just froze up, and the controller started vibrating like mad.
    Is this common? :?
    Gambit is so awesome..

Perhaps you were channeling his power and charging the energy of the controller?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I hope you managed to do so already, because a few weeks ago all the downloadable characters for both MUA1 and MUA2 were pulled off of XBox Live and PSN so you can't get them anymore. Additionally, the teaser packs that allowed you to play with people who did have them are also gone, so now if you don't have them you can't get them and can't play with anyone who has them either.

Apparently the DLC was a "timed exclusive." If that becomes a new trend with DLC, I'm going to be very displeased. I already hate all this "preorder now or you never get these in-game items, ever" crap that is spreading everywhere.
    Although in reality the "timed exclusive" line could just be a cover and they actually lost the digital distribution rights in the new year somehow, because who in their right mind would have a timed exclusive, and then not advertise the limited time offer bit as often as they could so people would rush to buy it?

Lars on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's really weird. I was looking for the MAU2 DLC on the PSN a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it and just assumed it was some kind of bug or they were updating something. Glad I already had all of the DLC, but that's just retarded, there has to be something going on.

Invisible on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Possibly something with the Disney/Marvel merger and digital license agreements. Still pretty shitty, especially the compatibility packs also going away.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Of the DLC characters, Psylocke shaped up to be my favorite, but I'm likely biased as she was a comic favorite going in.

I like her style and quickness, and when maxed out, she can be pretty damn brutal. While yes, she is frail, she can get around the map quickly with her Psi-Drill move and her Triple Slash is absolutely devestating when used as a boss-killer since it has such a quick animation, and every hit can crit.

Her Teamwork stat is also really high. When combined with Jean Grey, their single target fusion will do about 2500-3000+ damage easily. Her Guided fusion with Gambit is also pretty good too, even though it's just the standard rush 'em down combo attack.

Running an X-Men party in an Ultimate Alliance game always makes me feel a little cheesy, but it's kind of difficult not to since most of them are so damn good. My standard party is now Psylocke, Jean Grey, Gambit and Iceman, though sometimes I'll sub in Storm.

If that whole "timed exclusive" thing is true, and they have no intention of putting them back up, it's bullshit. They never mentioned anything like that before.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Damn. I never picked up the DLC. Well, that blows.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    If that whole "timed exclusive" thing is true, and they have no intention of putting them back up, it's bullshit. They never mentioned anything like that before.

Wait, what? Bullshit!

KiTA on