As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - Mutant and Symbiote edition

1373839404143»

• Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah. I'd put the PS3 completely out of my mind at that point and just had a PS2.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think X-Men Legends 1 & 2 were PS2-Xbox-GC only, then the Ultimate Alliance titles (both) went for all the next-gen consoles plus the PS2.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, the story takes a huge nose dive after Act 2. The Civil War theme was interesting enough, completely taking it out of the picture just baffles me.

Also, damn do some of the characters suck. Iron Fist especially, or at least in comparison to characters with god attacks like Gambit's 52 pick up or Iceman's ice beam and ice punch (700-1200 damage crit). Spamming those powers with a buddy makes the legendary run mindlessly easy.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gambit is godly for most of the game, especially if you get clever with rolls and his powers. I like to roll in to a group of enemies, use the radial staff attack to pop them up, then launch a couple 52 pickups. Usually enough to destroy most anything. The only problem is his low vitality and the fact that his powers are Energy based, and a lot of bosses(Bishop, for example) and enemies tend to be resistant to Energy later on, making him useless.

Iceman is great and all of his powers have use. It's rare to find anything that is resistant to Cold, so you'll get a lot of mileage out of him.

If you really want to go for overpowered madness, seek none other than the God of Thunder himself. Thor is ridiculously strong, can take loads of damage and his Mjollnir Smash can take off chunks of even the toughest bosses.

My personal fav is Psylocke, though a lot of people don't care for her. She's really fast, her Psi-Drill plows through enemies, her Psi-Bolt is a wide cone-stun, and her Triple Thrust is fast, has amazing recovery and each attack can crit. She has good evasion too, but that's to help make up for the fact she can't take damage for squat. Pair her with Jean Grey and their Fusion attack will do upwards to 3000 damage.

Iron Fist is a decent fighter - his powers come fast and have great recovery. His main appeal is that he's one of the few heroes that can heal and buff the party.

Actually I found my least favorite characters tended to be the big guys - Hulk, Thing and Juggernaut. They're slow, tend to have low Teamwork ratings, their powers tend to be weak and while they have higher hp than most, they don't seem to take damage well enough to justify all their drawbacks. Hulk is the best of the 3 in my opinion - his AOE stun is pretty wide and lasts long, and his tackle works on almost anything in the game, including bosses - ones that it doesn't work on he just damages like a charge.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Picking the overpowered characters out of the lineup is getting to be a tradition for these games. The balance from X-Men: Legends to this game have all been pretty bad.

At least new characters are good each game, it seems like.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say all the new characters are "good" - it's just that none of the heroes are outright terrible. Everyone has a use in some way, though it's obvious some do it better than others. A lot of powers are really redundant as well - I can't count the number of heroes that have "slam fist into the ground over and over" powers.

Some characters also turned out way stronger than I would have expected. Green Goblin was a major surprise, being ridiculously overpowered. At the same time, some characters turned out to be weaker than expected. Venom for example - who's big and burly and looks like he'd tank, but he actually has only average vitality and his gameplay revolves around him being able to use his bite move to recover health. This makes him completely worthless on robot-heavy levels. Magneto is a lot weaker than I would have expected the Master of Magnetism to be, with his one really good move being his magnetic crush - GREAT for locking down single targets - the rest of his moves are mediocre at best.

They did a good job at making everyone somewhat passable - you can literally take a party of just about anyone and plow through the game, though some set-ups will definately make things easier than others.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sorry, I meant that the roster of overpowered characters changes game to game. Storm is ridiculous in X-men 1, and mediocre in 2. Iron Man is awesome in some, crummy in others.

captaink on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant that the roster of overpowered characters changes game to game. Storm is ridiculous in X-men 1, and mediocre in 2. Iron Man is awesome in some, crummy in others.

Yeah, Iron Man was my go-to guy in the first one, his Uppercut would shut down about anything out there.

In 2... meh.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I was a huge fan of Spider-Man in the first MUA and ran the whole game solo with him - excluding parts that required 2 people for switches and such. He didn't feel the same in this version, plus he had some of his best powers replaced. The "web a guy and spin around" radial was hilarious and really useful, but my favorite was the one where he'd shoot out a web line, grab a guy and throw him, and you could direct it with the analog stick. Anything that couldn't be grabbed would instead take massive damage.

I was disappointed that they removed the ability to run solo in this game - unless of course you killed off your 3 other teammates. I know they did this to play up the fusions, but what they really should have done was keep the option to run a mission solo, and any time you were in the field alone your Fusion would be replaced with an X-Treme.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hillean wrote: »

Yeah, Iron Man was my go-to guy in the first one, his Uppercut would shut down about anything out there.

In 2... meh.

I think I spent most of MUA 2 flying in the air spamming Storm's lightning attacks. Almost the exact same thing that I did in MUA 1.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I remember another staple of the X-Men Legends series and the first MUA is being able to prompt your teammates to use your powers on a target at the same time and deal bonus damage. Sucks they removed that.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

WHOA necro.

I'm glad I returned this game without wasting money on DLC. It was far inferior to the first one, and I didn't even like the first one.

What happened to the team who did X-Men Legends 2? That was one hell of a game!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I actually preferred MUA2 and X-Men Legends 1, so I guess we have to fight.

X-Men Legends was Raven I think, no idea what has happened to them since it came out.

captaink on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

X-Men Legends was Raven I think, no idea what has happened to them since it came out.

Legends, Legends 2, and Ultimate Alliance 1 were all Raven Software I believe. Most recently they made Singularity which just came out.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    eelektrik wrote: »

Legends, Legends 2, and Ultimate Alliance 1 were all Raven Software I believe. Most recently they made Singularity which just came out.

Raven also made X-men origins and I believe the newest wolfenstein.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a particular version of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 that I should get? (for Xbox360). I've rather enjoyed MUA2 and if the previous version was superior...

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Try and get the Platinum or Gold version. Both have the extra characters (only way to get them now since Activision pulled them off the marketplace) and it should be cheap. No real difference between the two except for a "making of" DVD on the Platinum version

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ah nice, thanks. I'll go for Platinum version if I can find it.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was just at Best Buy and they had a couple copies priced at $20 in the bargain bins. So make sure you check there.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i picked this game up recently for want of anything better co-op to play with my friend, and man its really terrible

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i picked this game up recently for want of anything better co-op to play with my friend, and man its really terrible

Its not horrendous, but I'm so glad I got Sacred 2 for co-op over this.

Docshifty on