As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii On] Virtual Console!

ZekZek Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Virtual Console Thread

This here is the thread for the Virtual Console. I'll pretty it up later if I feel like it, but for now the meat:

Pricing: ($1 = 100 Wii Points)
NES: 500 points
SNES: 800 points
N64: 1000 points
Genesis: 800 points
TG-16: 600+ points

Currently Available Games: (North America)

NES
Baseball
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Gradius
Ice Hockey
Mario Bros
Pinball
Soccer
Solomon's Key
Super Mario Bros
Tennis
The Legend of Zelda
Urban Champion
Wario's Woods
Xevious

SNES
F-Zero
R-Type III
SimCity
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Super Castlevania IV

N64
Super Mario 64

Genesis
Altered Beast
Columns
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Ecco the Dolphin
Ristar
Sonic the Hedgehog
Space Harrier II
Toejam & Earl

Turbografx 16

Alien Crush
Bomberman '93
Bonk's Adventure
Dungeon Explorer
Military Madness
Moto Roader
R-Type (800 pts)
Soldier Blade
Super Star Soldier
Victory Run

Additional games arrive every Monday morning, and are usually announced a couple days beforehand.

Zek on

• Options
    edited November 2006
    To start things off, a question:

I was informed a while ago that you would be able to create new channels to organize your VC titles as you pleased. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

Zek on
  • Options
    For the FutureFor the Future ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    List blows, but I can't wait for TJ and Earl again. I rather liked that game.

Also needs Battletoads

For the Future on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    All I really want to be on there is Majora's Mask and Super Metriod. Do that, and you'll have your 1800 points from me, Nintendo.

Darlan on
  • Options
    UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    List blows, but I can't wait for TJ and Earl again. I rather liked that game.

Also needs Battletoads

Also, can't wait for Bonk's Adventure...tis been a while ;[

I would love it if they brought some PAL games to it. If Nintendo tossed Terranigma on the VC I think my testicles would explode...out of joy, of course.

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Options
    BandettaBandetta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think $1 for NES, $3 for SNES/Genesis/TG16 and $5 for N64 would have been more reasonable given that it's what they go for in used game shops these days.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I want online co-op for TJ&E. :cry:

Akinos on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Games should come with Wii points, somehow. Like 250 points should come with most games.

Remington on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:
    To start things off, a question:

I was informed a while ago that you would be able to create new channels to organize your VC titles as you pleased. Anyone know how to go about doing this?
    As far as I'd heard, every game always gets its own channel and that's that. *shrug*

Thanks for making this thread, I'm interested in the whole VC thing. I hope they play their cards right and it does really well. Are you going to update every week with what new games are available? Because that would be awesome, at the moment my Wii cannot get online to check. :(
    Until I figure out a way to do so on campus I can always take it to a friend's house.

I bought two classic controllers and a 2000 card just for Toejam and Earl, I may spend the remainder on SimCity since the SNES one is my favorite version of the game ever.

I'm sure some people have VC games, what is the manual like that you get with it? Digital copy of the original, or a crappy "this is what each button does" list?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I sure wish my Wii would stop having errors and connect to the Internets

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I downloaded F-Zero as my first purchase. I'm something of a packrat and derive great pleasure from the notion of a collection of VC games that I've perfected being on my system. So my goal is to beat F-Zero on Master before I move on to the next one. I'll probably get Super Mario 64 at some point, if nothing more tempting shows up.

Zek on
  • Options
    UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    I think $1 for NES, $3 for SNES/Genesis/TG16 and $5 for N64 would have been more reasonable given that it's what they go for in used game shops these days.

Im content with the pricing for snes and up....but i think 5 bucks is a little much for nes games. Especially ones that have been ported several times.

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Options
    DulathDulath Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Seta 3000 wrote:

Are you sure it isn't your Internets that is having errors?

Dulath on
    sig.PNG
    Disclaimer: Actual Google banner ad captured at www.serebii.net
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wish that instead of crap like Tennis and Soccer, which there is no real reason to play these days aside from nostalgia, they would put stuff which is actually worth buying, like River City Ransom, Faxanadu, Ogre Battle 64 et cetera.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    this is such a tough situation for me as a collector... I like to own any game I like enough that I'd want to play it, but this makes it so easy to ignore that tendency.

At the very least, it helps because even if I own a game (i.e. TLOZ for NES) I don't have to dust off my nes and get it going to play.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:

My store sells NES games for 5$, 5$-15$ for SNES/Genesis, and 5$-30$ for N64

Cariblue on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dulath wrote:
    Seta 3000 wrote:

Are you sure it isn't your Internets that is having errors?

Well, I'm on them now.

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Well, first of all, those games are used in 10+ year old cartridges. Obviously they're devalued. Also, the Wii versions are superior in a couple ways:

1.) No old hardware necessary
    2.) Reliable, backup-able games & saves
    3.) Suspension functionality
    I'm sure some people have VC games, what is the manual like that you get with it? Digital copy of the original, or a crappy "this is what each button does" list?
    It's a relatively minimalistic set of Wii-style pages that gives you a summary of the game and how to play it, what each button does, how to save, screenshots of the GUI with descriptions, etc. Doesn't have the nostalgia factor of the original manual but it gives you all the basic info.

Zek on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:

Im content with the pricing for snes and up....but i think 5 bucks is a little much for nes games. Especially ones that have been ported several times.
    Unless it's Mega Man 3. Or Castlevania 2. Or Life Force. Or Super Contra. Or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.

What I mean is, Capcom and Konami, git to da wii!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:
    Well, first of all, those games are used in 10+ year old cartridges. Obviously they're devalued. Also, the Wii versions are superior in a couple ways:

4.) 480p...unless there is already a way to do this with older game systems?
    Zek wrote:
    It's a relatively minimalistic set of Wii-style pages that gives you a summary of the game and how to play it, what each button does, how to save, screenshots of the GUI with descriptions, etc. Doesn't have the nostalgia factor of the original manual but it gives you all the basic info.
    Well at least it sounds like they put a little effort into it. I'll really miss the TJ&E earth bestiary, though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    bionicbionic Washington StateRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm hoping that they'll add Mario RPG on the VC list. I played it ever so briefly on a friends' system many years ago and I'd really like to play it again.

bionic on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I am really hoping that Nintendo is going to make the VC sales data available to the public (investors) in some fashion. I am going to be really curious to see how much money Nintendo is really going to be making off of these downloads.

Along similar lines, I wonder if they'll adjust their pricing scheme based on how many people take advantage of the service. I think if they find they're only moving one or two games per Wii sold over a six-month period that they might find other ways to get VC games to the consumer, either by offering something like free Wii points with games/accessories or by lowering prices.

Also, how long before we start hoarding Sprite caps and Milky Way wrappers to redeem online for Wii points?

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Super Metroid and Mario RPG have been announced for later, right?

Also isn't Space Harrier a shmup? I kinda want that and Gunstar Heroes to start out with.

aeolist on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just want Earthbound....

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm just really excited for Earthbound. I've never played it before, and everyone is always all like "earthbound rules" so.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:

4.) 480p...unless there is already a way to do this with older game systems?

Is this true? If so my desire for these games just jumped. Again.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I bought 2000 Wii Points but nothing on that list excites me right now. I'm holding out for the following:

Kirby Superstar
    Uniracers
    Paper Mario
    Super Mario RPG
    Star Fox 64
    Yoshi's Island
    Kirby 64
    Pokemon Snap

And I'm hoping to be surprised by some third party games as well. Harvest Moon SNES plz.

edit: whoops forgot about Earthbound. I'll buy Earthbound too.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    I'm just really excited for Earthbound. I've never played it before, and everyone is always all like "earthbound rules" so.
    Honestly it hasn't aged that well in terms of gameplay, but it's worth it just for the experience.

Zek on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:

I am in the exact same situation.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:ba6472ce79]earthbound isnt actually as good as everybody says it is[/spoiler:ba6472ce79]

The Cheese on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The ability to pause and resume play of the VC games makes the prices more than acceptible.

And goddammit! The two SNES games they release are two that I really, really love. Fuck you, Nintendo!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The_Cheese wrote:
    [spoiler:ddb263cdd6]earthbound isnt actually as good as everybody says it is[/spoiler:ddb263cdd6]

I agree, although I still think that it is a fine game.

Turkey on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Turkey wrote:
    The_Cheese wrote:
    [spoiler:36f183f505]earthbound isnt actually as good as everybody says it is[/spoiler:36f183f505]

I agree, although I still think that it is a fine game.
    Yes it is.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I didn't realize there were so many fans of the SNES version of SimCity. What's so good about it?

Zek on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just hope they release Pin-Bot for NES. I played that so much at my cousin's house.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Funny thing is, as far as the NES is concerned there is only one Nintendo published game I absolutely need, and that is Mother. Just about everything else I'd want (Guerrilla War, River City Ransom, Blades of Steel, Baseball Stars, Castlevania III, DQ IV) are all 3rd party. Actually, add in a few of the lightgun games and Startropics II.

The SNES however, man alive they might make a killing I want:

Soul Blazer
    Illusion of Gaia
    Terranigma
    Actraiser
    Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Secret of Mana II
    Lufia II
    Breath of Fire I&II
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Super Mario RPG
    Ogre Battle
    Tactics Ogre
    All, that's right, all, Super Scope 6 games
    Fire Emblem 3-5
    Super Metroid
    Dragon Quest V-VI

N64 is easy. I want Sin and Punishment, and possibly OB 64/HM 64 for nostalgia, I have a lot of working N64 carts.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    1up1up Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I was really suprised when I stopped Sonic after beating Marble Zone 1 when I came back it was exactly where I was when I left.

Im going to really take advantage of that with Super Mario 64.

Cant wait for better SNES games and RiStar.

1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2006
    what is the point in a virtual console if it doesn't have streets of rage

i mean really

bongi on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zek wrote:
    I didn't realize there were so many fans of the SNES version of SimCity. What's so good about it?
    I'm not a superhuge management-sim kind of guy, so the SNES version was nice for me because it was still fairly simple -- everything from SimCity 2000 on had too many damn variables to take care of (Water? Trash? Oh, screw it.)

I'll admit that it's also nostalgia, too. A fun game from my youth plus my favorite console of all time. There aren't too many NES or N64 titles I'm really going to get, except if/when the Dragon Quest titles show up.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you use the GC Controller for VC games, can you use the analog stick as a digital input subbing in for the D-pad, or do you have to use the tiny D-pad?

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My big thing is that I rented games through most of the SNES era, only owning three of them by the time I got an N64. I have since expanded that but I know the pain that is finding SNES games. It cost me nearly $200 bucks and three years to get some of the key titles of that era, and I'm still missing a whole bunch, that's why I hope the third parties really start stepping it up.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg