As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

• IAmTheRadIAmTheRad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is this a mod, or a full game?

If it's a mod, I'll give it a shot.

IAmTheRad on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aight, I'm back into this. Gotta love decking =D

Antithesis on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IAmTheRad wrote: »
    Is this a mod, or a full game?

If it's a mod, I'll give it a shot.

It's a mod. If you have a game that gives access to the Source SDK, you can head over to Steam and download it.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009
    I'll grab it tonight. I'll suck when I start at it, but hey, I'll be learning at least!

IAmTheRad on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xantus wrote: »
    BEEP BEEP BEEP, I WANT YOU IN MAH JEEP

and when you hear the sadbeep of team damage.. it makes you really sad :(

It's kind of a BLWOOP.

Every time I hear it, I die a little inside.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    IAmTheRad wrote: »
    I'll grab it tonight. I'll suck when I start at it, but hey, I'll be learning at least!

Honestly, despite what everyone says about 'steep learning curve etc etc cake', the only problem you're going to have is with the maps and the objectives (something only solvable by experience), rather than with the complexities of the game, provided you read the Playing Guide mathingy in the OP.

Believe me, it'll help a lot.

Apologies for double post.

Biosys on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Decking is super hard without knowing the maps.

I used to deck quite a bit before v1, and now I don't dare touch the JIPs. The stuff they added scares me. Too many buttons to push on securities and stuff.

Mustachio Jones on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe it's just because I know the maps pretty thoroughly by now, but decking seems a lot easier. Anyone else think it's easier to hit other deckers with low screen resolutions?

Antithesis on
    edited February 2009
    By virtue of the way hitscan works, I think it's a whole lot easier.

I only remember some of the maps to deck effectively, but I just feel like I'm clogging up a slot decking on maps I don't know when I could be popping heads with my MK.

Mustachio Jones on
  • BlightBlight Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The rocket launcher sucks now :( . Can't one hit a light anymore and the secondary is so sensitive at first that you end up ramming it into a teammate/wall instantly, and so unresponsive after a couple seconds its useless.

Blight on
    edited February 2009
    I'd say that they need to buff the rocket launcher just a little bit, and nerf the minigun just a little bit.

and find some way to make the tesla rifle not so fucking annoying.

Mustachio Jones on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm starting to love the basilisk. I dunno if the secondary actually does much damage, but it's so fun to use.

jothki on
    edited February 2009
    I've been on the receiving end of that ball of joy, and it does a pretty nice amount of damage.

Mustachio Jones on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just played a round in that map with the missile, and the basilisk secondary has the perfect arc for being able to shoot across the missile room. It feels so good standing in near perfect cover hearing a stream of bleeps as you lob grenade things across the center.

jothki on
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The basilisk is awesome. I love coming around corners with sound suppressor on and destroying unsuspecting people in a hail of ball-things and basilisk shots.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I fell in love with the Ion Cannon last night. Never really was a fan before. It is a horrible sniper weapon, but I was defending the first JIP in Broadcast and vaporized 4 people in a row right as they walked in to the room. :)

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh, just tried getting on and it said it couldn't contact the master server so I can't play. Anyone else getting this problem?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Ion Cannon is not a sniper rifle.

Close range, it does the same damage as the fist, which is, I think, 120 damage.

At long range, is does like, 90 or 60, im not sure.

CangoFett on
    edited February 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    The Ion Cannon is not a sniper rifle.

Close range, it does the same damage as the fist, which is, I think, 120 damage.

At long range, is does like, 90 or 60, im not sure.
    yeah, but it has that zoom function as a secondary, which makes a lot of people think it is.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Huh, just tried getting on and it said it couldn't contact the master server so I can't play. Anyone else getting this problem?

something messed up with the last update over steam. to fix:

Create an empty steam.inf and move it into
    ...\Steam\steamapps\<accname>\dystopia\Dystopia\

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    That makes sense, it not working after the patch. :P Thanks for the tip, I'll try it when I get home.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2009
    I'm downloading the mod right now. Didn't have time yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to play in a game soon.

IAmTheRad on
    edited February 2009
    This is the second time valve screwed the dystopia team over with a patch. When the game first came out, the population was HUUUGE, and 2 weeks later a source engine update broke the game, made it crash constantly, and cut framerates down to about 20%.

A week or 2 later, it was fixed, but the community never got bigger.

FASTFORWARD TO NOW. Dys gets released on steam, another seemingly pointless patch comes, and the game breaks.

GG

CangoFett on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Because valve should use the mod community coding practices to dictate the release of patches that effect games that people have paid for.

GG CANGO!, GOSH!

YOU ARE BAD PERSON!

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited February 2009
    Im not saying that, dont troll tinyboots.

CangoFett on
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is the second time valve screwed the dystopia team over with a patch. When the game first came out, the population was HUUUGE, and 2 weeks later a source engine update broke the game, made it crash constantly, and cut framerates down to about 20%.

FASTFORWARD TO NOW. Dys gets released on steam, another seemingly pointless patch comes, and the game breaks.

GG
    The difference this time was the patch was from the Dystopian team. They released it to fix some crashing problems but they also changed the app id, for some reason this ended up breaking the game. That's not to say Valve can't do anything since it looks like they have to do an update on their end to get it to register, it just looks like their may have been some miscommunication when they sent the patch to valve.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Redlance wrote: »

GG
    The difference this time was the patch was from the Dystopian team. They released it to fix some crashing problems but they also changed the app id, for some reason this ended up breaking the game. That's not to say Valve can't do anything since it looks like they have to do an update on their end to get it to register, it just looks like their may have been some miscommunication when they sent the patch to valve.

FACTS!?
    IN MY COMPLAINING?

No sir, this will not do.

CangoFett on
    edited February 2009

GG

FACTS!?
    IN MY COMPLAINING?

LOOK.

If someone makes an entirely factless complaint, the only real way to respond is with a factless attack on thier person.

Following this rule:

CANGO IS A BAD PERSON

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    Biosys wrote: »

GG

FACTS!?
    IN MY COMPLAINING?

LOOK.

If someone makes an entirely factless complaint, the only real way to respond is with a factless attack on thier person.

Following this rule:

CANGO IS A BAD PERSON

I heard Biosys is a faggot. 8-)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2009

GG

FACTS!?
    IN MY COMPLAINING?

LOOK.

Following this rule:

CANGO IS A BAD PERSON

I heard Biosys is a faggot. 8-)

So this Darmak guy?

I hear he likes dicks.

Biosys on
    edited February 2009
    Katanas at dawn!
    :winky:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2009
    Katanas at dawn!
    :winky:

Choose your weapon young one.
    You have your katanas.

I has miniguns.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT

DUAL WIELD KATANAS

BEST IDEA EVER

I WANT VALVE ON THE LINE, STAT

Biosys on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, does this mean that I'm currently installing a broken game?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited February 2009
    Is anyone up for some gaming on of a Dystopian nature? I'm going to hang in random pubs, I suppose.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Capuano wrote: »
    Is anyone up for some gaming on of a Dystopian nature? I'm going to hang in random pubs, I suppose.

I'll see if I can find ya. Might be in for a round or two.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So after finaly getting around to looking at this, I realised that I played it a while back but forgot about it all together. Downloading now and im gona give it another go to see how it is.

Lagnar on
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I didn't see a server link in the OP but, there are a couple servers that aren't pub hell.

b_160x400_T1_F-2.png

the server tides are different...its a later night (8pst and on) crew but they're good

Xantus on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that WNx clan seem to be pretty ubiquitous. I'm always running into them, and they're quite good.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, does this mean that I'm currently installing a broken game?
    When I said "broke" what I really ment was"can't find master server". Their is a simple hot fix to this problem
    Create an empty text file named steam.inf and move it into
    ...\Steam\steamapps\<accname>\dystopia\Dystopia\
    The game itself will run fine you will just need that to actually play online.

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EDIT: HOLY SHIT

DUAL WIELD KATANAS

BEST IDEA EVER

I WANT VALVE ON THE LINE, STAT
    Team Ninja beat you by a few years. I am confident this was the first documented occurrence of dual katanas in history.

Also what they beat you with were massive jiggling breasts.

Monger on