As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Sonic Thread for Bitchin' and Reminiscin'

• Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Igort wrote: »
    Adus wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    I haven't played any of the 3D Sonic games, ever. I'm watching the LP for Sonic 2006 and my lord it looks so bad.

Sonic Adventure was pretty good, I felt. Basically it's like Sonic 2006 but without shit controls and an out-of-place human princess love interest. That LP is great, by the way. The Radical Train levels are so painful yet funny to watch.

That's weird. That's the only level of that game I could actually stand!

The worst part of Radical Train is that there's no indication that you have a time limit to open gates and let the train pass. So when you start the level you just go through it like any other and suddenly WHOOPS YOU LET ELISE DIE YOU STUPID FUCK. Also, the high-speed section.

Sonic's Kingdom Valley is the best level if you ignore the Silver part. It also has the only fun high-speed section, because it's a straight shoot made up of gigantic broad platforms.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I haven't played any of the 3D Sonic games, ever. I'm watching the LP for Sonic 2006 and my lord it looks so bad.

Sonic Adventure was pretty good, I felt. Basically it's like Sonic 2006 but without shit controls and an out-of-place human princess love interest. That LP is great, by the way. The Radical Train levels are so painful yet funny to watch.

The worst part of Radical Train is that there's no indication that you have a time limit to open gates and let the train pass. So when you start the level you just go through it like any other and suddenly WHOOPS YOU LET ELISE DIE YOU STUPID FUCK. Also, the high-speed section.

Sonic's Kingdom Valley is the best level if you ignore the Silver part. It also has the only fun high-speed section, because it's a straight shoot made up of gigantic broad platforms.

I generally didn't like the High-Speed sections, mainly because stuff will appear in front of you and you'll think "oh, I better jump over it" but you're moving so fast there isn't enough time to react and then BAM you're dead.

But if we're talking about Sonic 2006's bad parts we could be here all week.

Igort on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Also, the high-speed section.

This was mainly what I was referencing when talking about the train level.

Adus on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I miss the days when Dr. Robotnik was called Dr. Robotnik.

Also crappy 90's cartoons that were humerous.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am one of the few who loved and adored the cheesy "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon, but hated the one with Sally Acorn and all that shit. And everyone hated Sonic Underground.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unleashed is no worse than the Adventure games.

The best part about Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 was the chao system. That might be because I haven't played either the games since they were released, and I was a lot younger, but I remember having fun creating the little dudes. There was a surprising amount of depth involved with them, and I think it's really weird that the new sonic games are very lacking by comparison. If they just made a modern Sonic adventure game with all the content and such, and just fixed up the horrible camera and running off of levels because you tried to actually control Sonic, Sega would have a Sonic game I would buy.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Which one was the one with Jaleel White and chili dogs? Is that the one that's considered good or bad?

'Cause man, I loved that shit when I was a kid.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Which one was the one with Jaleel White and chili dogs? Is that the one that's considered good or bad?

Both of them.

Sonic Underground had Sonic's brother and sister in a rock band for some reason.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll admit, while I didn't care for Sonic Adventure 1, I actually really liked Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the Gamecube back in the day (I feel old).

That said, I really only liked the Sonic/Shadow levels. Tails/Robotnik levels were okay, but really simplistic, and Knuckles/Rouge levels infuriated me (especially since they had terrible rap/pop song selections). I guess I kind of liked the whole "choose to play the good guys or bad guys" element, even if it aided in detracting from making Sonic the star of the game.

That's about it for the 3-D games, though. Sonic Heroes was sooo terrible and I think was the last 3-D sonic game I ever played. I might try renting Unleashed one of these days, though.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SA2:B was great fun for me. I can play City Escape over and over and over. But really only the Sonic and Shadow levels were fun....

Knuckles and Rogue levels can suck it. God I hated those.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I miss the days when Dr. Robotnik was called Dr. Robotnik.

Also crappy 90's cartoons that were humerous.

Do you also miss the days when Peach was called Princess Toadstool?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Both of them.

Sonic Underground had Sonic's brother and sister in a rock band for some reason.

Okay, just did Wikipedia on them, and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was the one that I liked.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Her full name is Princess Peach Toadstool, so we can have it both ways there.

Choosing between Eggman and Robotnik, I'd go with Robotnik.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Pretty sure Sonic Adventure 2 established his name as "Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik"

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Pretty sure Sonic Adventure 2 established his name as "Doctor Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik"

Hell, Sonic Adventure one has him introduce himself as Robotnik, only to have Sonic call him "Eggman" as an insult.

I've got no problem with Sonic calling him Eggman, but Robotnik adopting the insult as his new name is just silly.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Hell, Sonic Adventure one has him introduce himself as Robotnik, only to have Sonic call him "Eggman" as an insult.

I've got no problem with Sonic calling him Eggman, but Robotnik adopting the insult as his new name is just silly.

Not to mention the fact that I'm embarrassed to tell my wife that I'm fighting Eggman when she asks what I'm doing.

That, and I used to read the comic books all the time, and then abandoned sonic for like 8 years or so, and then picked up a new sonic game, and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the hell they were calling him Eggman.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's really worth noting that in Japan he's always been Doctor Eggman.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's really worth noting that in Japan he's always been Doctor Eggman.

Yes, but this is not Japan and they should stick to what they started with. This goes for Aeris too, I will never call her Aerith. They mistranslated it, fine, that's their fuck-up and it's going to stick.

You don't see Capcom switching M. Bison and Balrog back to their former names in Street Fighter, and I applaud them for that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sonic the Hedgehog came out in America a month before it came out in Japan, so he was Dr. Robotnik before he was Eggman.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a dream that I was playing Sonic 2006. It was amazing.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MarioG wrote: »
    I had a dream that I was playing Sonic 2006. It was amazing.

The existing one, or some fantasy version of Sonic 2006 you made up in your dream that's actually good?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Adventure had a stupid, totally un-fun segment where you play as Big, and for some reason the fucking frog would never take the bait, and more and more fish kept going into the water as I emptied it out, thus obstructing me from proceeding any further in the game.

Unleashed had a stupid, totally un-fun segment where you play a quick-time event that recreates a segment from Sonic Adventure, only badly, which obstructed me from proceeding any further in the game.

So, I would agree with the assessment that Unleashed is no worse with the benefit of the doubt, except that at least Big's part in Adventure was basically the last part of the game before playing as Super Sonic, while SEGA was kind enough to put their little virtual brick wall up at the start of the game in Unleashed.

So, I submit that Unleashed is worse, if only marginally so.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What are you talking about? The Tails section? You seriously couldn't beat that?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Adventure had a stupid, totally un-fun segment where you play as Big, and for some reason the fucking frog would never take the bait, and more and more fish kept going into the water as I emptied it out, thus obstructing me from proceeding any further in the game.

Unleashed had a stupid, totally un-fun segment where you play a quick-time event that recreates a segment from Sonic Adventure, only badly, which obstructed me from proceeding any further in the game.

So, I would agree with the assessment that Unleashed is no worse with the benefit of the doubt, except that at least Big's part in Adventure was basically the last part of the game before playing as Super Sonic, while SEGA was kind enough to put their little virtual brick wall up at the start of the game in Unleashed.

So, I submit that Unleashed is worse, if only marginally so.
    The Sonic Adventure and Unleashed games can be broken up into Sonic portions and non-Sonic portions. In my opinion, Sonic Unleashed had the best Sonic portions of the games, but the worst non-Sonic portions. (That said, I still think the Werehog portions were not necessarily bad, just mediocre.) Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 both had better non-Sonic portions. However! One of the best things about Sonic Unleashed is that the Sonic portions take up a greater percentage of the game than in any of the Adventures.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sonic the Hedgehog came out in America a month before it came out in Japan, so he was Dr. Robotnik before he was Eggman.
    Not being a fan of the original series I find both names equally stupid, so I don't know why people get so hung up on it. Shithouse, Latrine, etc.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Not being a fan of the original series I find both names equally stupid, so I don't know why people get so hung up on it. Shithouse, Latrine, etc.

If you don't care about the series, why come in and post about it?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    <3

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you don't care about the series, why come in and post about it?
    I said I wasn't a fan (ie, fanboy, drooling at the lap of SEGA and forever cursing it for not delivering unto me the sweet sweet nectar of nostalgia WHY SEGA WHY), not that I didn't care about the series.

Glal on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Somebody asked Yuji Naka which name was the "official" one back when Sonic Adventure 2 was released and his answer was something along the lines of "They're both official. Why do you guys even care?"

On shitty non-Sonic gameplay segments: the mechs were so much worse than the treasure hunting in SA2. I don't know why most people tend to think otherwise. At least the treasure hunting can be completed very quickly if you bother to use the hint monitors, but with the mechs it's always a long un-fun slog to the goal every time. I don't know how they fucked those parts up so badly because E-101's story was one of my favorite parts of SA1.

And on even older, shittier Sonic games: I've been having a little fun messing around with hidden stuff in Sonic the Fighters recently.

Honey, go back to bed!

Honey from Fighting Vipers

1) Fighting Vipers character designer puts Soinc, Tails, himself, and Yuji Naka into the arcade version of Fighting Vipers as a joke.
    2) AM2 guys have a laugh, run the idea of a Sonic fighting game through Yuji Naka.
    3) Sonic the Fighters is made by the Fighting Vipers team and on the FV engine.
    4) Honey from FV gets turned into a cat and is hidden in the arcade version of StF, but was never fully completed or made accessible via normal means.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The mechs were not all that bad. They weren't anything to write home about, but they weren't offensively awful.

Meanwhile Knuckles has me flying around in circles while bad rap plays.

DOWN IN PUMPKIN HILL I GOTSTA FIND MY LOST PIECE
    I KNOW THAT IT'S HERE, I SENSE IT IN MY FEET
    THE GREAT EMERALD'S POWER ALLOWS ME FEEL
    I CAN'T SEE A THING BUT IT'S AROUND SOMEWHERE

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I liked all three gameplay styles of SA2B, actually...
    What are you talking about? The Tails section? You seriously couldn't beat that?

Yeah. Namely, the boss, he keeps spamming "fire all weapons" on me, and I get slagged. Part of it is sometimes during a turn, and I can't see the stuff being launched, or when I'm pressing buttons I see onscreen, I'll often get buzzing or Tails yelling at me to calm down as we're being blown to pieces.

Screw it. Glad I only paid 20 bucks for this, though leave it to SEGA to still make me feel ripped off.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Rand TorganRand Torgan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjHynqMYaro

Gotta love the old school Robotnik.

To contribute to the conversation, I never did like the name change for Dr. Robotnik. I understand he has been called "Eggman" for years in Japan, but having that as his real name? Who the heck would want their name to suggest they are oval in shape?

Rand Torgan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's not his real name, though; it's a nickname. I think he calls himself that as a big "fuck you" to Sonic.

That, and well, his old origin has him being a kindly scientist named Ovi Kintobor who got zapped with all the evil in the world and mutated with a hardboiled egg, making him a literal egg-man named Ivo Robotnik.

Also, the first part of that video is hilarious; I'll have to watch the rest when I can listen to it with higher volume later.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ahh. I miss UK comic Robotnik, who was at least sane in his actions so had touches of the Sonic X being methodical rather than being insane but was also quite, quite evil. I also love how losing against Sonic repeatedly drives him gradually insane, until in the comic's version of the Sonic Adventure saga he just sets Chaos loose literally 'to see what happens' and not part of some wider plan. Once Chaos is out he decides rightly so that the world is doomed, but once he sees Chaos subdued some by Sonic but not defeated the world-dominating instincts kick back in...

Also, I have to post this:
    www.apzonerunner.com/sonic3.zip

The UK Comic's Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles Adaption. Love it. I can post others if you all enjoy it... god I loved that comic. :D I mean man. They even explain where the extra seventh chaos emerald is from and what it does.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ahh. I miss UK comic Robotnik, who was at least sane in his actions so had touches of the Sonic X being methodical rather than being insane but was also quite, quite evil. I also love how losing against Sonic repeatedly drives him gradually insane, until in the comic's version of the Sonic Adventure saga he just sets Chaos loose literally 'to see what happens' and not part of some wider plan. Once Chaos is out he decides rightly so that the world is doomed, but once he sees Chaos subdued some by Sonic but not defeated the world-dominating instincts kick back in...

The UK Comic's Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles Adaption. Love it. I can post others if you all enjoy it... god I loved that comic. :D I mean man. They even explain where the extra seventh chaos emerald is from and what it does.

Hi5

Those comics were the best

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

In the online continuation he's gone completely drooling insane and gotten commited to a loony bin.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just now reading that... how did "Kintobor" send them to the island, if Kintobor is Robotnik?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just preordered this and was pleasantly surprised to find the release date in Australia has been moved forward to the 12th of march. I'm more optimistic for this game than I was for unleashed - there was a lot more negative impressions by this point for unleashed.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just now reading that... how did "Kintobor" send them to the island, if Kintobor is Robotnik?

From what I remember they have a 'Kintobor' computer simulation that helps them out. The old head on a monitor trick.

God, why do I remember that?

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I still like Robotnik's original design the best:

Dr+Robotnik.jpg

Speed Racer on