As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Hunters: Misdirection kills, just ask that priest that mouthed off at me

• dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    guns are popular because there's a crafted epic gun, while bows and xbows need to rely on a fickle RNG to get their epics.

dojango on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm going to sound like a newb but- RNG? Dr. Boom? ^^; Explain, please.

The only thing I don't like about guns is the damn soundbyte when you shoot- rifles and shotguns especially. Now if that Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer has a different soundbyte (I've seen it but never been near someone actually using it) then I'll suffer through it.

ringswraith on
  • ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    RNG - Random Number Generator, basically probability table that WoW uses to determine any given outcome.

Dr. Boom is a mob out in Netherstorm that surrounds himself with bombs. He has a ton of hitpoints and he can't attack beyond a certain range. Before practice dummies were available he was the defacto method of testing shot rotations and other dps measurements. He also used to be a good method to level up your ranged weapon skill. Keep an eye out though there are mobs that patrol that area and they may get the drop on you.

Gyro-balanced Khorium Destroyer is a gun, and being so has the same sound effect. I tend to play with sound effects off except for cool speeches so I rarely notice these things.

Also its a 70 Epic, and a tanking weapon accessory at that.

For level 80 I don't know what the new epic gun is but I do know that Argent Crusade has an 80 Blue Gun available. ((They also have an Epic Mail Chest Piece :D ))

Then again H. UK is a total walk in the park and it has an Epic Crossbow so RNG be damned... I'm going for it. Like I said, use the best available, and just turn down (or turn off) sound effects if its annoying.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the responses! I was thinking that for RNG but wondered if it stood for some new dungeon/raid I haven't heard about.

ringswraith on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck guns.

forty on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I haven't switched over to guns at all (even passing on that uber-gun that drops off 25-man KT, though I honestly would have lost if I tried to bid on it.) mainly because I would have to get rid of my not-cheap arrows, find someplace to put my quiver, and then get an ammo pouch crafted.

Honestly I'm almost more looking foward to no more quivers because of this, rather than getting a new bag slot.

Undead Scottsman on
  • amarthamarth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only thing I don't like about guns is the damn soundbyte when you shoot- rifles and shotguns especially. Now if that Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer has a different soundbyte (I've seen it but never been near someone actually using it) then I'll suffer through it.

I'm using this. It's a client side silencer gun sound. Much less annoying.

amarth on
  • calcium fishcalcium fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's a dumb question... is there a mod that will flash my screen or something whenever I'm at 100% mana and in viper? I have this bad habit of switching it on in between trash packs and forgetting to swtich it back (mostly in heroics). Sometimes on boss fights. :oops:

calcium fish on
  • KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's a dumb question... is there a mod that will flash my screen or something whenever I'm at 100% mana and in viper? I have this bad habit of switching it on in between trash packs and forgetting to swtich it back (mostly in heroics). Sometimes on boss fights. :oops:

Same here. This would actually be really helpful.

Kenninator on
    edited February 2009
    I haven't switched over to guns at all (even passing on that uber-gun that drops off 25-man KT, though I honestly would have lost if I tried to bid on it.) mainly because I would have to get rid of my not-cheap arrows, find someplace to put my quiver, and then get an ammo pouch crafted.

Honestly I'm almost more looking foward to no more quivers because of this, rather than getting a new bag slot.

I look at this being the equivalent of deciding not to enchant new gear because it takes too much time. This is fine if you are a casual player and such. If you fully intend to pursue progression then you damn well better take the best weapon you have available.

I had a friend who did a ZA run back in the BC days and this amazing gun dropped off one of the chests. The only hunter in the raid was using a BLUE BOW and passed on the gun because, and I quote "I don't 'do' guns." If you are a serious raider, or at least serious about raiding then you damn well better be taking an upgrade.

399831.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Just another great thing about the upcoming change. I remember a thread or two ago, I was arguing that having two different types of "quiver" was an annoying and pointless mechanic for the negligible benefit of "flavor." Naturally I had some fagmos disagreeing with me.

Well, look who it seems Blizzard is siding with on the issue, yet again (for about the hundredth time now).

forty on
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    forty wrote: »
    My two level 80s at the moment are a druid and a paladin, and I find the hunter quiver (and warlock shard bag) issue to be a pointless annoyance. On my druid, I just leave his resto gear in the bank until I know what I'm going to be doing. Anyone telling you hybrids are suffering because they're always carrying around over a bag's worth of gear is either being pointlessly argumentative/emo ("abloo abloo woe is us, our class has the most problems") or is just stupid and doesn't realize you don't have to lug everything around all the time.

"and feral resist set"
    Who the hell is carrying around resist gear these days?

Yeah, I guess you're right. Having all of the power of my class available to me is terrible and I probably shouldn't expect to do that. I mean why would I want to itemrack over to a resto set while feral and at low health, pop a bunch of superpowered HoT's on, and then switch back to feral for more instant grinding? That would be stupid. I should make a bank trip every time I want to cast lifebloom, now that's smart thinking.

Having multiple sets of purposed feral gear? Man that's dumb as shit too, just DPS in your tank gear! Tank in your DPS gear! Play naked! No one cares, you're stupid if you don't.

And in other news, I hear hunters are awesome, Confirm/Deny?

Ryokaze on
    edited February 2009
    Maybe I just don't suck as much as you, since I never needed to switch to fucking resto gear while feral grinding just to heal myself. Maybe I should have put in a disclaimer that bad players might need to waste extra bag slots.

forty on
    edited February 2009
    If you're that awesome, then clearly you use bullet/arrow makers for your ammunition needs and compress ammunition into 5-6 slots by clicking out ammo as you need it instead of using an entire bag for space?

I mean, that's what smart people do.

Ryokaze on
    edited February 2009
    @forty: You can't change armor in combat....

@Ryokaze: Hell yeah thats what the great players do!

Who needs 15% attack speed increase?

Oh wait...

399831.jpg
    edited February 2009
    "Well, no shit." He's talking about doing it in between fights, which I never needed to do.
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    If you're that awesome, then clearly you use bullet/arrow makers for your ammunition needs and compress ammunition into 5-6 slots by clicking out ammo as you need it instead of using an entire bag for space?

"Smart people" give up a 15% haste buff? I think you're just proving my point for me. :)

forty on
    edited February 2009
    "Well, no shit." He's talking about doing it in between fights, which I never needed to do.

"Smart people" give up a 15% haste buff? I think you're just proving my point for me. :)

Absolutely, inventory space is paramount, right? You don't need the power of your class available to you, you're supposed to have as many slots as possible open no matter the cost, remember?

Ryokaze on
    edited February 2009

That's completely retarded.

399831.jpg
    edited February 2009
    It doesn't cost my feral druid anything by not toting 30 pieces of gear around with him. A hunter depriving himself of 15% haste is another matter.

forty on
    edited February 2009
    It doesn't cost my feral druid anything by not toting 30 pieces of gear around with him. A hunter depriving himself of 15% haste is another matter.

Sure it does, it costs you flexibility, you know, hybridy-ness. If you're just going to run around with a DPS set and nothing else, you're losing out on tons of things you could be doing better. You will not tank as well as if you had a specialized tank set, you will not solo as well as if you had a heal swap set, you will not have the option of keeping a group going by having a heal swap set when your real healer Disconnects/Dies/Spontaneouslycombusts/goesafk.

Just like you could run around with empty normal bags as a hunter, but you could be doing better if you use a quiver. Make sense yet?

Ryokaze on
    edited February 2009
    Not really no, your talking about losing options, we're talking about losing performance under all circumstances. If you only carry a dps set around, and you're dps, not having a resto set isn't going to impact your performance. its just going to limit your options.

options <<< performance

Now if you wanted to compare going without a quiver to a druid going with say... a trinket or relic (that every other druid needs for top performance) that might be a viable comparison.

399831.jpg
    edited February 2009

Sure it does, it costs you flexibility, you know, hybridy-ness. If you're just going to run around with a DPS set and nothing else, you're losing out on tons of things you could be doing better. You will not tank as well as if you had a specialized tank set, you will not solo as well as if you had a heal swap set, you will not have the option of keeping a group going by having a heal swap set when your real healer Disconnects/Dies/Spontaneouslycombusts/goesafk.
    Pretty much what ES&F wrote. When I'm cat speced and join groups to DPS, I'm not there to tank. If I were, I would get the necessary gear out of my bank before going.

You act as though you need to lug around a bag and a half worth of gear at all times because you're just spontaneously being pulled into groups left and right that have you playing non-spec roles all the time. I solo perfectly well without bringing my healing gear.

And when your real healer "Disconnects/Dies/Spontaneouslycombusts/goesafk."...
    You can't change armor in combat....

forty on
    edited February 2009
    And when your real healer "Disconnects/Dies/Spontaneouslycombusts/goesafk."...
    You can't change armor in combat....

So you prefer the "sit around and pick flowers" option when you're down to four people?

Ryokaze on
    edited February 2009
    I just never seem to run into these mystical, magical scenarios that you seem to all the time.

forty on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I look at this being the equivalent of deciding not to enchant new gear because it takes too much time. This is fine if you are a casual player and such. If you fully intend to pursue progression then you damn well better take the best weapon you have available.

I had a friend who did a ZA run back in the BC days and this amazing gun dropped off one of the chests. The only hunter in the raid was using a BLUE BOW and passed on the gun because, and I quote "I don't 'do' guns." If you are a serious raider, or at least serious about raiding then you damn well better be taking an upgrade.

If the disparity was that great, I'd probably take the gun. But we're not talking a huge increase in DPS here.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys are making me a sad panda. These are not the Blizz forums.

Hamurabi on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, you seriously put on your resto gear everytime you heal yourself?

Fuga on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    So, criticisms? I'm currently hitcapped, so I don't need FA. It's purely a raiding spec, I should mention. I never do PVP, and my small guild is currently farming 10-man Naxx trying to get together with another guild for 25-man and eventually 25-man Ulduar. I justified the single point in Rapid Killing so I can get Rapid Fire every other time I blow a trinket and Blood Fury, and I took Entrapment over, say, Hawk Eye because I trap all the time for L&L procs. And I'm currently the only spec in my guild with replenishment.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited February 2009
    So, I've been playing hunter a lot more lately as my "dps" char. Been running a bunch of heroics with a mage. He uses blizzard on every pull that has more then one guy in it... should I be using volley as well? How does that compare to single target dps? I'm Survival spec at the moment, if that makes a difference.

dojango on
    edited February 2009
    Volley has had its damage output toned down significantly. i would recommend Volley on groups no smaller than 3.

399831.jpg
  • ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I just rolled a Hunter alt earlier last week. He's level 22 now and waiting to start ashenvale and taren mill.

Any advice for my lowbie?

Armory Link

Currently speccing BM sporting a Dragonhawk pet.

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ben_bot wrote: »
    So I just rolled a Hunter alt earlier last week. He's level 22 now and waiting to start ashenvale and taren mill.

Any advice for my lowbie?

Armory Link

Currently speccing BM sporting a Dragonhawk pet.

Get a Bear or Gorilla if you want to never die, at least from mobs. Gorilla is preferred. Otherwise if you have your pet for vanity reasons, it still doesn't matter all that much. However, once you use a gorilla to level it's hard to go back to anything else.

EDIT: Wooops, can't get a gorilla just yet. Get any tenacity pet.

Kenninator on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stampede (rhino) only affects 1 target, but adds a 25% bleed damage debuff (that does not stack with Mangle etc.) in addition to its knockback.

I... just...

What did my Rhino do to deserve this? Stampede wasn't that great to begin with, but this...

-SPI- on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    New Hunter Pet Talents

* Shark Attack (2 ranks) - Your pet does an additional 4/8% damage with all attacks.
    * Silverback (2 ranks) - Your pet's Growl also heals it for 1/2% of its total health.
    * Wild Hunt (2 ranks) - Increases the contribution your pets get from your Stamina by 20/40% and attack power by 20/40%.

No Idea how they actually fit into the pet talent trees though.

-SPI- on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    (new) last tier.

Fuga on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some of these new talents... man I dunno...

Hamurabi on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm just trying to figure out what this Black Arrow spell is in the Lock and Load change.

But fuck me if the changes aren't going to massively decrease my DPS.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited February 2009
    Ok, newb question.

What's the importance of AGI and STR to a hunter? I think AGI increases your crit chance, and STR increases the damage you deal... What's a good ratio of AGI to STR to keep in mind?

I'm just trying to figure out how much of each to get without sacrificing too much of the other. I'm currently 34.

ringswraith on
    edited February 2009
    Ok, newb question.

What's the importance of AGI and STR to a hunter? I think AGI increases your crit chance, and STR increases the damage you deal... What's a good ratio of AGI to STR to keep in mind?

I'm just trying to figure out how much of each to get without sacrificing too much of the other. I'm currently 34.

Agi increases crit chance and damage done by ranged attacks. Str increases damage done by melee attacks.
    Since a hunter is primarily a ranged damage dealer, you don't really need much +str at all.

dojango on
    edited February 2009
    Aha. Thank you dojango.

In that case, what's a good second stat to get points in?

ringswraith on
This discussion has been closed.