As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knights in the Nightmare - A Perverse Cadre of Unballs

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also the Law/Chaos phase system is specifically so you don't keep spamming the same attacks over and over. And not to mention the enemies that keep switching the elemental alignments.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Also the Law/Chaos phase system is specifically so you don't keep spamming the same attacks over and over. And not to mention the enemies that keep switching the elemental alignments.

And then there is jamming enemy attacks, multi round positioning strategies, class synergies (stunning a powerful enemy with an Archer's Sniper attack, then nailing the enemy with a Hermit's Status attack is very satisfying), the collection aspect of acquiring the Knights, the pick up and play fun of the Leveling mode, etc.

There is a lot more to KitN than just spamming attacks.

Drake on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I only just noticed that you can tell what element a dryad's going to be when it teleports by looking at the grass tiles.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also they have the decency to attack first and then warp away.

Stupid sabers.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay I'm playing this on Easy, and I still can't get past Scene 16 I believe it is. The boss oneshots me.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Don't leave activate knights in his line of sight. use classes that have wide-range attacks outside of straight lines. Like the Lance Knight's Chaos attack, Hermit's Attacks, Priestess' Law attacks...

His 'standard' attacks are extremely easy to dodge. Just be careful of the OHKO attack.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't leave activate knights in his line of sight. use classes that have wide-range attacks outside of straight lines. Like the Lance Knight's Chaos attack, Hermit's Attacks, Priestess' Law attacks...

His 'standard' attacks are extremely easy to dodge. Just be careful of the OHKO attack.

Also, if he triggers the charge, you can avoid it by either immediately attacking or pressing L or R to disengage the attack.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Damnit I brought the thing on stage 23 to fragile and didn't break it cos I thought I unlocked it already. I'll have to wait till my 3rd run to see Scoppio...

Hard Mode has taught me the importance of using height effects to reduce time spent charging.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i had pre-ordered this game

and just started playing it over break...

i went through the initial tutorial thing and started up a game... holy fuck, a lot going on.
    can i move my knight?
    i need to play the first level 26 times before it's beaten?!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    i had pre-ordered this game

and just started playing it over break...

i went through the initial tutorial thing and started up a game... holy fuck, a lot going on.
    can i move my knight?
    i need to play the first level 26 times before it's beaten?!

You need to kill enough enemies to fill a row or column of the grid thingy, at which point the level will be beaten.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee shit

shit bouncing everywhere
    dodging enemies while grabbin items
    and shootin' off attacks

SHIT EVERYWHERE

this is fun.

- oh yeah, and all sorts of crazy stat building

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're going to love the bosses.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're going to love the bosses.

i fought the werewolf

and used a key item on him

for like 2 or 3 levels after that he's like... "i wanna play" i didn't know how to put him in, so he was like "peace out fucker."

:(

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So in the latest famitsu, it's confirmed that there will be a psp port of this game. I can't see it playing half as good without the stylus.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    So in the latest famitsu, it's confirmed that there will be a psp port of this game. I can't see it playing half as good without the stylus.

I don't see how that's going to be any fun on the PSP.

Hmm. I should move this back towards the top of my DS stack. I think I feel another blood soaked quest for vengeance coming on.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A relevant scan:
    wwwdotuporg557447.jpg

Additions include a new opening video, pause talk collection viewer and tutorial viewer.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay... the new art? Hideous. Is that lipstick on Maria?

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Great, now that you've mentioned it it's beginning to bother me too.

What the game really needs is a timeline of all the cutscenes you've seen. Something like Odin Sphere would be perfect.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I completely forgot this game existed until yesterday and bought it immediately.

This game is absolutely balls-out insane in the best possible way.

Question though: Is there anything I should REALLY NOT MISS while going through the game? Or is it not that big of a deal?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So I completely forgot this game existed until yesterday and bought it immediately.

Question though: Is there anything I should REALLY NOT MISS while going through the game? Or is it not that big of a deal?

It's built for lots of replay. You can't even recruit all the Knights on your first play. So no, don't sweat it. Just enjoy yourself.

Also, the story may not make much sense on your first go either. It shifts back and forth in time and follows a lot of different characters. For me, this just adds to the replay value.

Enjoy, it's a great game. I'm surprised it didn't pick up more of a following around here.

Drake on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I completely stopped playing this and am sort of scared to pick it up again. it was pretty intense.

might have to though.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

It's built for lots of replay. You can't even recruit all the Knights on your first play. So no, don't sweat it. Just enjoy yourself.

Also, the story may not make much sense on your first go either. It shifts back and forth in time and follows a lot of different characters. For me, this just adds to the replay value.

Enjoy, it's a great game. I'm surprised it didn't pick up more of a following around here.

This was the answer I was hoping for.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also you can just DL a list from GFAQS on the stuff you need to break to get the recruitment items.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also you can just DL a list from GFAQS on the stuff you need to break to get the recruitment items.

The items don't appear in the same sequence as all of the Knights as far as I know. It'll take multiple plays to get all of them, especially if you sacrifice some of your Knights to beef up others.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    After another hour with it I would like to reiterate that this game is fucking incredible.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had this game for two hours. One of those hours was spent on tutorials. When, after reading those tutorials, I could not properly play the very first eight minutes of the game because a whole four essential functions had not been properly explained, the next 52 minutes was spent crying in the fetal position.

This game broke me.

Silven on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Drake wrote: »

The items don't appear in the same sequence as all of the Knights as far as I know. It'll take multiple plays to get all of them, especially if you sacrifice some of your Knights to beef up others.

You can get all the knights in two playthroughs, one for each path, and you never have to sacrifice a single knight.

I know. I did it. :P

Also, this game's music is utterly gorgeous.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=57677

This was my thread from when Yggdra Union broke me years after launch.

Still haven't touched KitN because of it. I will...someday.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You think you have it bad - when I first played Yggdra Union I didn't know you had to hold down the D-pad to change the skill bar. Consequently I was constantly cussing out the game for not letting me use skills.

In general, the best way I've found to play Dept. Heaven games is to play until you understand the game mehcanics (approximately 1/4 of the way through the game, usually), and then restart.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No point in Restarting Riviera, just aim for a different ending.

I did eventually beat Yggdra...sometime mid last yearish or so. It gets hard, and I didn't use a guide. It definitely stopped me from picking up KitN for the time being though. I've had enough of Sting ruining my life, my friendships (Dokapon) and my sanity (Yggdra) for awhile.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you want a Sting game that's actually playable just get Hexyz Force. It's just a basic jRPG. You can tell it's Sting because they still make you play through the game twice to see everything. I think you actually have to play through 3 times to get the real ending or something.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    If you want a Sting game that's actually playable just get Hexyz Force. It's just a basic jRPG. You can tell it's Sting because they still make you play through the game twice to see everything. I think you actually have to play through 3 times to get the real ending or something.

Sting games are totally playable!

Was Hexyz Force any good?

Joule on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's okay. It's nothing special though. Just a basic jRPG, except with a very appreciated fast forward button to make battles go really quickly. I only played through Cecilia's story so I don't know about Levant, but Cecilia is really annoying for half of her story. She's super whiny about not wanting to do anything. That's kind of a deterrent. But it doesn't do anything to break the formula, and a lot of the stuff it does do is wasted. Like fusing items sucks because you only ever need to fuse armor. It has breakable weapons, but you'll just use the infinite use ones. Stuff like that.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just beat the first Boss stage.

This is seriously my new favorite DS game ever. Ever.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, it's pretty much my favorite DS RPG too. They really took the hardware and ran with a crazy ass concept and holy shit it's a blast. And there are just layers of depth. You can really get into some crazy min/max stuff once you get a nice roster of knights and weaponry going.

And the Boss Stages are some of the craziest things I've ever seen.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This game pretty much the kind of stuff I wanted the DS to put out. DS game of the forever in some ways (combining two of my loves, bullet hell and srpgs).

Sting Department Heaven series has yet to fail me.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    One thing I remember about the game is
    the Watcher continuously trying to tell you that your an asshole for fighting back against people who attack you for no reason.

That was really stupid.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Joule wrote: »
    Sting Department Heaven series has yet to fail me.

Yeah, I have a lot of love for the Dept. Heaven games too.

Any word on Episode III (Knight in the Nightmare skips ahead one to Ep. IV) in the series?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Um, no. Chronologically, YU is Episode 1, KitN is Episode 2, and Riviera (which was the first release) is Episode 4.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The connections are also vague as shit.

Xenogears of Bore on