As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Utorrent and port forwarding

Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently got myself a D-Link DIR-300 wireless router and have run into problems trying to get utorrent to work.

I can get a connection but its rather slow and I keep getting a yellow signal saying "No incomming connections" as opposed to getting the green tick. I read that I might need to port forward and followed all the steps on the PortForward website to try and set up a static ip. The problem is that I cant seem to find 2 sets of numbers for the DNS.

This is rather frustrating and I really dont know what to do. If you guys need any more info to help me just say so and I will provide.

Hocky27 on

• Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Your router should have two sets of DNS servers in the WAN/Internet connection status. Really, given that your pc is unlikely to be connecting directly to the internet without the router, you could just use your router's IP for both primary and secondary. Or use the primary as the router's IP and the secondary as one of the two in the WAN status.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're looking for DNS servers, you're either trying to set your router's WAN IP (the IP it gets from your internet provider) or you're trying to set your computer's LAN IP (the IP your computer gets from your router) on the computer's side.

The latter may be one way to accomplish what you want, but it's not generally the best. What you really should look for is a menu on your router's interface that allows you to set your computer's IP statically on the router's side...much, much easier. Though some consumer routers (like the WRT-54G series) don't actually allow this.

If you have to go the route you're going, your DNS IP addresses that you're looking for should be on your WAN status page of the router's interface. I don't know the DIR-300, so I can't help you much there. But it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Better, however, is to simply use UPnP to configure it...this is something you'll have to enable on the router, but if you do it's much easier...basically uTorrent will then just request the proper port for whatever IP your computer currently has, and shit will just work automagically. You may still have to open up a port in your Windows firewall, though.

That last is easy to forget, too. I've had a few times where I couldn't figure out why a program wasn't working and turns out I'd opened the port on my router, but not in Windows.

EDIT: A couple quick searches suggest that the DIR-300 doesn't allow static IPs through its stock firmware either. Go with what Arth said. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can flash a new firmware (like dd-wrt) onto it...but a quick peek at the instructions for your router makes it look a bit complicated (some are easier than others).

mcdermott on