As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Madworld! NSF56k! NSF momma's boys!

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm being forced to choose between this, RE5 and Street Fighter IV. If this gets nines, then this will be the winner. I'll probably get it eventually, but I have zero time right now, and games are basically vying for space to sit unused on my shelf.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    - Sega and Platinum Games' Wii title MadWorld will not support 480p output, the maximum resolution is 480i instead.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    according to matt at ign, it's really not a big deal, though yeah, a bit disappointing to be honest.

at first i was upset, but considering how much praise this game has got for its visuals, i dont think it'll matter too much.

Guek on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    - Sega and Platinum Games' Wii title MadWorld will not support 480p output, the maximum resolution is 480i instead.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

With the game as stylized as it is, I don't think it will matter too much.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    controls

Sound good to me!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The controls seem to have been mapped in a very good way...very "No More Heroes" like.

It seems the motions will be mostly saved for finishers and what is a Buck Flip? O_o

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pretty sure that's back flip.

So it this coming in widescreen?

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The amazon preorder discount is now just 3 dollars. Dammit.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh bugger. I should have leapt at it... ah well.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So there's a developer Q&A up.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/959/959443p1.html

Here's a couple of the more interesting bits:
    Q: At any point during development did you come up with an execution that was so wonderfully brutal, revolting, outrageous, vile, crude, offensive, disgusting, blood-tastic, etc, that you stopped yourself and questioned if it was possible to put this in to the game?

Atsushi Inaba: At the planning stages we had many interesting ideas, but when we really think about integrating these, there were many difficulties, i.e. this is OK in some countries but not in other countries as of the difference in concept. In this game we didn't want to make a difference among each country except for the localization part. It is not our intended game concept that there are mild and extreme versions of this game depending on the different countries. What we wanted to express with this game is humor with the violence. We are not saying yes to all the violent expression. So we also have the negative opinions to the violence in the real world like them and this game's concept is different from realistic violent games and we did not want the people to misunderstand. We wanted to create the violent game with humor and claim this violence is only for the virtual world.

They also mention that the ESRB totally got the humor in it.
    Q: This game seems to share many similarities with the last Clover studios game, God Hand. Would this be considered to be a fully realized version of God Hand's development? It seemed quite surprising that the game was in a gameplay-demonstratable form when it was unveiled back in Spring 2008.

Atsushi Inaba: These two titles are for the core gamers, but have very different game concepts, so MW is not like a full version of the GodHand. One of the important concepts of GodHand was to make challenging gameplay that players will have fun through clearing the challenging stages. Compared to this, after we have chosen the Wii platform, we developed MW to have easy control and difficulty (with some additional features like additional kill moves). So we can say MW is very original game.

So, don't expect God Hand. Hm. Hope there's some difficulty settings in there.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It sounds like a lot of the levels will have several bosses, like one for each stage.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Q: At any point during development did you come up with an execution that was so wonderfully brutal, revolting, outrageous, vile, crude, offensive, disgusting, blood-tastic, etc, that you stopped yourself and questioned if it was possible to put this in to the game?

Atsushi Inaba: At the planning stages we had many interesting ideas, but when we really think about integrating these, there were many difficulties, i.e. this is OK in some countries but not in other countries as of the difference in concept. In this game we didn't want to make a difference among each country except for the localization part. It is not our intended game concept that there are mild and extreme versions of this game depending on the different countries. What we wanted to express with this game is humor with the violence. We are not saying yes to all the violent expression. So we also have the negative opinions to the violence in the real world like them and this game's concept is different from realistic violent games and we did not want the people to misunderstand. We wanted to create the violent game with humor and claim this violence is only for the virtual world.

Q: This game seems to share many similarities with the last Clover studios game, God Hand. Would this be considered to be a fully realized version of God Hand's development? It seemed quite surprising that the game was in a gameplay-demonstratable form when it was unveiled back in Spring 2008.

Atsushi Inaba: These two titles are for the core gamers, but have very different game concepts, so MW is not like a full version of the GodHand. One of the important concepts of GodHand was to make challenging gameplay that players will have fun through clearing the challenging stages. Compared to this, after we have chosen the Wii platform, we developed MW to have easy control and difficulty (with some additional features like additional kill moves). So we can say MW is very original game.

according to IGN's nintendo podcast, there are 2 settings, normal and difficult. Normal never gets too hairy, but apparently it does ramp up considerably as you go along. Difficult is (according to them) brutal.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Guek wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

according to IGN's nintendo podcast, there are 2 settings, normal and difficult. Normal never gets too hairy, but apparently it does ramp up considerably as you go along. Difficult is (according to them) brutal.

Hey awesome. Normal folk and the hardcore can get a challenge. Me likey. Also, I'm a sucker for bosses out the wazoo.

Did the IGN podcast say they liked the game?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    well, matt cassassimassima says he's anticipating madworld more than he is RE5, if that tells you anything.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okie dokie, I'm taking the plunge.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That sounds really good. I will probably try it out hard first.

I'm really not sure who Matt C is, much less why I should care about his gaming preferences though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm really not sure who Matt C is, much less why I should care about his gaming preferences though.

Are you paid to post your preferences on the net?
    WHY, I THINK NOT.

Seriously, though, I'm overjoyed about the fact this has two difficulty levels. Allowing people of all skills to play, providing a challenge for the more hardcore crowd or just letting us just bash on enemies to vent, more games need to follow that example.

Djiem on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I imagine I'll be playing this on hard, but it's good to know it'll be a little more accessible. Be a shame if this one sunk behind the radar.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    NP gave this game a nine.

- over the top to an enjoyable level
    - Good length
    - nice variety for a beat’em up
    - controls function well
    - nice amount of unlockables
    - presentation and story equally appealing
    - commentary is funny, but can get repetitive

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

- Good length
    - controls function well

Fricking sweet! Next week doggies! Next week!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Taxman29Taxman29 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14253678/madworld/videos/madworld_com_030609.html - 15 minute video walkthrough, probably filled with spoilers. For those who are wondering what's in the vid without watching it and getting it spoiled, here's a summary I stole from NeoGAF. Thanks to EmCeeGramr:
    -It's played without commentary so Bozon and Matt can talk
    -New weapons and items (some of which have unique mechanics beyond just being melee swings)
    -New BloodWatch Challenge minigame
    -Several enemies not shown before; they're much more aggressive and faster than the standard stage enemies, and can do tons of damage (one can apparently do an instakill move if you're not paying attention, and nearly half your bar with a normal attack). Matt/Bozon do die once in the video.
    -At least one of the enemies has a unique finisher where its own weapon is turned against it

Taxman29 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

- Good length
    - controls function well

And since it's NP, we can probably knock a point off and wind up with a fair score.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

- Good length
    - controls function well

And since it's NP, we can probably knock a point off and wind up with a fair score.

Not since the redesign when they started criticizing even their own games.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That IGN video freezes around 11 minutes for me.

The lack of a block button is kind of strange. I guess they don't want you to play defensively, but completely omitting blocking seems really weird. Jack does not look like the type of dude who would backflip to dodge!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

- Good length
    - controls function well

Not since the redesign when they started criticizing even their own games.

This is surprisingly true ... NP is now pretty on par with the industry average. (Out of curiosity, I did a quick comparison between the gamerankings avg score and the NP score for the last 48 games reviewed by NP, and the average difference between the scores is 0.46% ... so pretty spot on. The median difference is 1% - again pointing to NP being in line with industry avg.)

As for Madworld ... I am really pumped. I must admit, I'm following threads like this, but avoiding trailers and whatnot ... I want all the humour and gore to be nice and fresh :)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm surprised at the lack of buzz on this forum :| I expected a lot more enthusiasm, but most people seem to be passing it by, which is weird since I've seen a lot of hype elsewhere on the net.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wish this game had the pre-release following that NMH had. I think NMH had such a strong pre-release following because of the infectiousness of the website's goofiness.

It sounds like Madworld is a very good game, so I have hope that it will do well.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wish this game had the pre-release following that NMH had. I think NMH had such a strong pre-release following because of the infectiousness of the website's goofiness.

It sounds like Madworld is a very good game, so I have hope that it will do well.

yeah, madworld at the very least will have better overall marketing than NMH. There are some anecdotal reports of great preorders for the game, as well as some stores saying anticipation is minimal. Still, Sega seems to be pushed the game pretty hard (for a mature wii game at least).

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That isn't what I was saying at all. I was saying that there seemed to be much more excitement about NMH. Compared to NMH, MW doesn't have a lot of nerdy bulletin board excitement.

I guess you are saying MW has more mainstream advertising? More visible advertising?

I thought IGN kind of dropped the ball with their Madworld Month thing. It was informative, but it felt very dry and kind of boring. The movies were good, but the articles were mostly boring.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That isn't what I was saying at all. I was saying that there seemed to be much more excitement about NMH. Compared to NMH, MW doesn't have a lot of nerdy bulletin board excitement.

I guess you are saying MW has more mainstream advertising? More visible advertising?

I thought IGN kind of dropped the ball with their Madworld Month thing. It was informative, but it felt very dry and kind of boring. The movies were good, but the articles were mostly boring.

No, I was agreeing with what you were saying, just also speculating that MW and NMH might not be the best comparison because MW has been somewhat advertised while ubisoft didn't spend a cent on promoting NMH outside a couple web banners on the internet. While MW doesn't have the amount of internet hype that NMH had, internet hype often amounts to very little. NMH essentially sold by word of mouth; MW might do the same, only with added promotion from actual tv spots.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Some guy said he actually saw MadWorld featured on Wal-Mart's in-store TV advertising, so Sega's actually pushing it a bit.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So IGN liked it and gave it a 9.0.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/960/960344p1.html

Edit: Here's a quick sentence that may help sell you on the game.
    You won't see the gravity gun until much later in the title and you won't be able to hurl enemies into a piranha-infested fish tank in any stage except the zombie courtyard, for example.

Apparently it's called "MadWorld" for a reason.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was worried about not having enough cash to buy RE5, but I'm gonna do my best to purchase this as soon as possible. It just looks too fabulous to not support.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just pre-ordered this @ game.co.uk, with free shirt. Anyone know what that music was in the IGN review?

EDIT: crap, free shirt is UK only.

Willybubba on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope this sells.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The preorder bonus here is the game soundtrack, which from that review is pretty good?

Its hard not to compare this game to NMH, which I loved. Hope that its just as good or different enough that it doesnt need to measure up.

I'll be there release day.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ign review = 9/10

BUY IT, YOU TWATS :P

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    One good review is a good start, and this one sounds promising enough despite being IGN.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bleh, one of Matt's least professional reviews.

I think the game will be great, but man, I could really do without the begging.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg